WELCOME TO OUR NEW SERVER!

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

WELCOME TO OUR NEW SERVER!

Postby Xian Zhu Xuande » 11 Mar 2014, 22:14

Hello everyone!

If you're reading this, it means you're now using SimRTK on our new server and, for you, the migration is complete. It can take up to a day or so for everyone to be available on the new server. Feel free to interact with the forum as you always have.

I have already had a look around and tested various forum functions in an effort to identify any problems, but it is quite possible that I may have missed an issue. If you have a moment, do look around and make sure everything is working properly for you, and if you see any problem at all, please reply here to let us know. For a short period of time I will have both servers online, which will give me the chance to work between databases and, in the event of a serious problem, move back to the previous server.

Scholars of Shen Zhou has already been migrated and I have been thoroughly impressed with the new server's speed. I hope everyone enjoys a faster, more stable SimRTK!

James
Xian Zhu Xuande
Powder Addict Huo Hu
Powder Addict Huo Hu

Location: Please Direct Gameplay Questions to the Game Rules Forum.
Kingdom: Huo Hu

Re: WELCOME TO OUR NEW SERVER!

Postby Xian Zhu Xuande » 12 Mar 2014, 16:03

Cao Chun (Shugo) wrote:Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. With more than 300K posts in the archive, you cannot import that into the SQL database in one go. I bet you have to export that in parts and then import it part by part. That's a cumbersome and time-consuming job. I wish you good luck and lots of energy on what no doubt is quite a time-consuming task.

I hope to see less timeouts on the new server. If you don't mind me being curious what host are you moving to?

Yeah, it is a pain in the ass. On the previous server it was necessary to use a program which can parse, piece by piece, the >1GB database file to gradually complete the process. It was a pain, because memory limits and timeouts make it rather frustrating to get everything working in a way that completes dependably, and on a few occasions some major database issues have cropped up when importing the database.

Our new server is hosted under one of MediaTemple's packages on a service which uses SSDs for storage. I've taken some client websites onto their service and worked with them over the years, so I've got a pretty good feel for their ups and downs. MediaTemple leaves a little more up to the website owner than other services do, but typically provides some more professional ways to handle various takes. This >1GB database import, for example, was handled smoothly through a database tool made available when logged in via SSH.

If anyone happens to be interested in trying them out, let me know. I'd be happy to give a referral and coupon code to save you a touch of money and get us a (sadly rather small) kickback to offset some hosting costs.
Xian Zhu Xuande
Powder Addict Huo Hu
Powder Addict Huo Hu

Postby Cao Chun (Shugo) » 13 Mar 2014, 08:32

Sounds like a good host then.

I find the new server running more smoothly already. So it looks like MediaTemple is a good deal.

I wish I could get you that little kickback, but I already have the best deal I can get. The boyfriend of my sister just so happens to be a webhost. I got a nice deal from him. I only have to pay for the domain aliases. You cannot get a better deal than that. :wink:
Cao Shi (28)
75-53-56-83-70
Acumen, Administration (e), Farmer, Propaganda, Rally, Trap, Zeal
Gold: 0
Cao Chun (Shugo)
Ranking Officer

Postby Xian Zhu Xuande » 13 Mar 2014, 18:19

Cao Chun (Shugo) wrote:I wish I could get you that little kickback, but I already have the best deal I can get. The boyfriend of my sister just so happens to be a webhost. I got a nice deal from him. I only have to pay for the domain aliases. You cannot get a better deal than that. :wink:

Nope. Sounds like a great deal.
Xian Zhu Xuande
Powder Addict Huo Hu
Powder Addict Huo Hu

Postby efrizzz » 28 Mar 2014, 01:52

Hi, where to download the game? (sorry for stupid question)
efrizzz
Officer

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby Elysia » 29 Apr 2014, 16:41

efrizzz wrote:Hi, where to download the game? (sorry for stupid question)

There isn't a game to download. We are a 'roleplay' game that takes place entirely on this forum. We are working on our next game, testing out our programs during this 'pre-game' phase. Please take a moment to read our forum rules, and explore the forum so you can learn how things are done here.
Zheng Mingyu (18) 87*-102*-65*-73*-92* Ambush; Artisan (e); Breeder (e); Charge; Craftsman (e); Duelist (e); Weaponmaster (e); Zeal

Ping Tai . . . At the mercy of Gu Guang and Lady Shao
Lu Ling Qi . . . Daddy's little girl.
Dame Zhang Yi . . . Sugary sweet.
Liyin & Liyang . . . Doubly Delicious.
Wang Jun . . . Teenager on his own!
Zhang Chunhua . . . Devoted wife of Sima Yi.
<Harimau> Ely, everyone loves you.
Elysia
Collecting Souls
Collecting Souls

Location: The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Postby Vemocleus » 30 Apr 2014, 01:23

Any chance of things picking up again? It would seem I stumbled across this site a bit late.
Vemocleus
Officer

Postby Elysia » 30 Apr 2014, 01:56

Vemocleus wrote:Any chance of things picking up again? It would seem I stumbled across this site a bit late.

As I told the previous person, this is a pre-game phase. We are working on things (programs we will use, formula, new options for gameplay, etc..) behind the scenes. There are some roleplay thread for players to give the future characters a backstory, or to flesh them out a bit.

We are also previewing some of the rules for this upcoming game in the thread titled "Hall of Supremacy".
Zheng Mingyu (18) 87*-102*-65*-73*-92* Ambush; Artisan (e); Breeder (e); Charge; Craftsman (e); Duelist (e); Weaponmaster (e); Zeal

Elysia
Collecting Souls
Collecting Souls

Location: The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Postby Valrik » 02 May 2014, 13:13

Is there an estimated guess as to when the pre-game phase will end? Or is that all still in the air at the moment?
Valrik
Officer

Postby Elysia » 02 May 2014, 13:33

Valrik wrote:Is there an estimated guess as to when the pre-game phase will end? Or is that all still in the air at the moment?

During pre-game we test out formula and programs. We still have several different 'sections' to test, so it is impossible to put a time frame on it.

Elysia
Collecting Souls
Collecting Souls

Postby LORD2022 » 06 Jun 2014, 04:59

can i join now?
LORD2022
Officer

Postby Xian Zhu Xuande » 09 Jun 2014, 14:57

LORD2022 wrote:can i join now?

Yes. Well, you have.

The next game has not yet started. It is currently in a pre-game testing phase which you can participate with to some extent if you like.
Xian Zhu Xuande
Powder Addict Huo Hu
Powder Addict Huo Hu

Postby StarPhoenix » 09 Jul 2014, 10:01

how to participate?..sorry just new here...:)
StarPhoenix
Officer

Postby Elysia » 10 Jul 2014, 23:16

StarPhoenix wrote:how to participate?..sorry just new here...:)

We are in a 'Pre-Game Phase' right now as the staff are still working on the mechanics of V-6 (Version 6). You can feel free to make up a character you want to play in V-6, and get a feel for that character and role-playing. The rules are still being worked on, but you can see drafts of them in the Hall of Supremacy.

Feel free to jump on our mIRC channel. Instructions and information on servers is in the Kingdom Tavern. You can also come to the OOC Thread and talk about the upcoming game, the pre-game, and / or the past games. I would also recommend taking a minute and getting familiar with our forum, and look at some of our past games.

Welcome to SimRTK!

Elysia
Collecting Souls
Collecting Souls

Postby Unionhack » 01 Aug 2014, 18:29

Also new here, and looking forward to playing when it comes for V6 to start. I've got a name, a year, everything worked out. Hoping it's gonna be fun!
Unionhack
Officer

Next

Return to Headquarters