Out Of Character (OOC) Thread

For open role playing, quests, and OOC posts.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: Out Of Character (OOC) Thread

Postby X-Calibre » 02 Jun 2019, 17:27

Are we throwing around suggestions? I'll give you suggestions.

1.) Establish communication. Our current means is this forum and mIRC IIRC. I highly recommend Discord, it's neat, it's easy, it's used commonly anyways and it's free. You barely need to learn jack to do most things and get all the ease of a chat with all the searchable recordkeeping of a forum and a lot of the potentially advanced functionality comes in form of downloadable bots that other people have programmed for you to download and tack on. Post tracker? There's a bot for it. Need to roll dice or determine random outcome? There's a bot for it. Resolve battle according to a formula? There's a bot for it.

2.) Get your heads together. Now that you have a place for old and new users, get time, date, show of hands, what's the talent you have in your court, what's the stuff that's lying around.

3.) Determine course of action. Launch old simRTK version? How to delegate staff? After determining what you have, who's helping, etc. you can begin to navigate. Make a roadmap or something so everyone knows what comes first and what next, don't just say it casually in a discussion and forget about it. Also, make time for actually doing the things necessary.

4.) Execute course of action.

5.) See how it goes.
oxx||===========================================>
新一派, 東方不敗, 王者之風, 全新招式, 石破天惊, 看招! 血染東方一片红!!!

Your blood is red, your bruises are blue, お前はもう-死んでいる.

薛火钢 (Xue Huo Gang) (23) [75*]-[100*]-[96*]-[38]-[43*]
[Aid[e]][Arson][Cunning][Duelist][Jeer[e]][Study][Weaponmaster][Zeal[e]]
Bio
Theme Song

NPCs: Cheung, Lalah

Ouyang Feng wrote:X, I cede that you are the undisputed Asian pop culture master of the sim.
X-Calibre
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: 荆楚国

Postby Bradums » 03 Jun 2019, 20:03

Ranbir wrote:Game is too big, players are too few.* Certainly feels like there hasn't been a really proactive effort to get v6 working or the game itself getting off the ground. Especially for the better part of a decade has shown very little.

Scale the game system down. Focus on player roleplay. The internet and people are really different to what we were like in 2002. Forums like this are no longer the standard form of communication. It is twitter, reddit and stuff like that. From what I've seen, small group roleplay sessions are what's in vogue right now and what's probably best is a wider context RTK story pushing forward and lots of group sessions played underneath, focused and not beholden to managing a kingdom spreadsheet or processing turns. Actually reduces workload for everyone involved. Small dnd' sessions why not?

Also more blue people.

I think downscaling the game to a smaller audience with less backend work might be a logical move to get something going. Clearly, there's still interest, as nerds like us keep jutting our heads in just to poke a dead horse. And by the amount of initial activity in the pre-game, people just want a fun RP experience tied together with whatever mechanics make sense and allow a sense of personal progress or factoring-in.

To Ranbir's point, I had an awesome experience when I was roped into a GoT RP on Reddit, despite my distaste for Reddit's structure and format. Seems like Reddit is booming with small-group RPs. With a smaller group and less mechanics, it was easier for one person to run, as most of it was simply acting as a DM similar to a game of D&D (or so I hear, I've still never played D&D...)

And with less of a focus on mechanics, mechanics took a backseat to RP. If a player was lucky enough to get tagged as Daenerys Targaryen's grandson, become Prince of Meereen, and find a dragon egg...no one cried foul because it was OP, they treated it like the plot point it was meant to be and reacted accordingly. Westeros eyed with suspicion, Volantis extended friendship since it sounded like a potential Azor Ahai situation ("fire-made-flesh!"), New Ghis started raising an army to fight what they viewed as Daenerys 2.0, etc. It was fun. Interaction felt more natural, rather than based on mechanics or listed kingdom strength or officer base, because it was about the story - there was no clear-cut "winning the game". Not to say anything's wrong with the former, since we've enjoyed it here forever, but just to advocate that the other end of the spectrum can be fun if we want to dial it down to that.
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby SYL » 13 Jun 2019, 23:18

Help! I've come unstuck in time! Is this thing on?

There I was, playing the actual factual game of my dreams - I distinctly remember sitting around playing Total War in 2004 and thinking "man wouldn't it be aces if this was Three Kingdoms" - and it summoned up fond memories of this old place. Nostalgia's a trip, I tell you.

It also gave me a mad notion that I wanted to write rules and get it going again, from the ground up, with a simpler, streamlined system, more focused on roleplay and abstraction than lots of crunchy crunchy numbers that are, whisper it, from a 30 year old game design ethos anyway. What Ranbir and Bradums say above is what I'm thinking too. Think of Dungeon World compared to Dungeons and Dragons. I've even got the core of an idea.

I kind of think I'd love to do it just for the fun of it.

Am I mad? Probably! Anyway, hi!
Pre-Game Guest Star:

Guo Zhao (53) 84-69-73-36-60
Counter, Formation, Fusillade, Leader (e), Volley
SYL
Good one, sir!

Postby Mal Tijie » 14 Jun 2019, 15:40

I mean, I'd be down to play anything XD
Ma Zang
82*-71-40-40-79
Aid, Inspire, Leader, Loyalty, Vehemence

V6 Li Shun, Destined Emperor of China (Or a drunken blacksmith, haven't decided)
Mal Tijie
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: TBD

Postby Phailak » 14 Jun 2019, 15:49

While you are waiting, why don't you guys come out and try out warlords? It's RTK, it's a sim, it's active! About a dozen players have already rolled their officers, let's get some more! First turn is due by monday, everything uses tools to make it very easy to keep track and concentrate on RP or just hang out with us in the discord channel!

That being said, I'd be first in line for a new sim

*This message was approved by Xiahou Mao :mrgreen:
Fei Lai (31)
94-80-31-31-31
Skills: Charge(e), Blitz, Cunning, Leader, Valor
Soldier info
Phailak
Officer With Many Posts

Kingdom: Shen Hu

Postby Bradums » 16 Jun 2019, 01:43

SYL wrote:I kind of think I'd love to do it just for the fun of it.

Am I mad? Probably! Anyway, hi!

[Insert Field of Dreams Reference]

Phailak wrote:While you are waiting, why don't you guys come out and try out warlords? It's RTK, it's a sim, it's active! About a dozen players have already rolled their officers, let's get some more! First turn is due by monday, everything uses tools to make it very easy to keep track and concentrate on RP or just hang out with us in the discord channel!

That being said, I'd be first in line for a new sim

*This message was approved by Xiahou Mao :mrgreen:

Also, I'm there. That...should be a pro rather than a con, right?

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby Brood » 16 Jun 2019, 16:29

Glad to see there are still people around. I agree with Ranbir and TG that we should do something. I suggest we use a simpler system just to get the site off the ground. Borrow WoTD's, start a recruitment drive, once we get enough people back then we see where to go from there.
Ru Mao (167)
Age27
Stats50-55-81-70-70
SkillsAlchemist (500), Artisan (211), Medic (1000), Study (300)
Friends None, ever.

<Liu Sun>Brood? That might just be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.
/me gives Brood a gold star.
Brood
Experienced Officer

Postby Bradums » 19 Jun 2019, 20:15

I'm kicking the idea of opening an RP-focused sim based on GOT/ASOIAF. I have some framework and three setting concepts, but I'm crap with balancing mechanics/math. So...could be RP-centric with minor/abstract mechanics just to get something rolling and we go from there.

Just something I fiddled with in some downtime, but I'm not sure if anyone would even be interested in that kind of thing.

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby Phailak » 20 Jun 2019, 10:57

I'd be down
Fei Lai (31)
94-80-31-31-31
Skills: Charge(e), Blitz, Cunning, Leader, Valor
Soldier info
Phailak
Officer With Many Posts

Kingdom: Shen Hu

Postby X-Calibre » 21 Jun 2019, 15:17

Allow me to re-offer the proposal of a Pathfinder (or D&D 3.5)-based Living World campaign set around the Three Kingdoms.

Though like last time, it's pretty pointless without high enough interest and I'm still concerned with not diluting the community. If enough people seem on board I'll probably put a thread somewhere for signups, assuming it's not considered unwelcome poaching from local staff.

While I'm not exactly a big name here, I've single-handedly ran, rescued and supplemented grand campaign projects and would be willing to design and balance the infrastructure of such a project and supervise running it. But I'm not going to sink that sort of effort if a.) there is no audience for it or b.) it would mean splintering people between this game and others.
新一派, 東方不敗, 王者之風, 全新招式, 石破天惊, 看招! 血染東方一片红!!!

Your blood is red, your bruises are blue, お前はもう-死んでいる.

薛火钢 (Xue Huo Gang) (23) [75*]-[100*]-[96*]-[38]-[43*]
[Aid[e]][Arson][Cunning][Duelist][Jeer[e]][Study][Weaponmaster][Zeal[e]]
Bio
Theme Song

NPCs: Cheung, Lalah

Ouyang Feng wrote:X, I cede that you are the undisputed Asian pop culture master of the sim.
X-Calibre
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: 荆楚国

Postby Mal Tijie » 22 Jun 2019, 00:23

I'd probably be more up for that than a GoT sim. But I've also never watched any of it sooo >.>
Ma Zang
82*-71-40-40-79
Aid, Inspire, Leader, Loyalty, Vehemence

V6 Li Shun, Destined Emperor of China (Or a drunken blacksmith, haven't decided)
Mal Tijie
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: TBD

Postby Xiahou Mao » 22 Jun 2019, 12:07

Sorry for being quiet for a while, I'm bogged down with some real life stuff right now. :( I still exist, though. Give me a bit.
Xiahou Mao - True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Xiahou Mao
Don't Cross The Boss
Don't Cross The Boss

Postby Christian » 01 Jul 2019, 16:38

I still exist... out in the void. I would also love to see the game start up again.

:tiger:
KongBu DaiFu (Dr. Horrible) (42)
85*-70*-82-36-40, Arrowstorm, Counter, Leader (e), Missile, Reversal, Volley
Christian
PhD in Horribleness

Postby Castilho » 12 Jul 2019, 22:25

If V6 ever happens to go live, please do shoot me an e-mail :)
Zhuge Jia (29)
Known as: The White General
Rank: General Who Pacifies the West (+50 Unit Limit, +70 TP, +1 MP in Liangzhou/Yongzhou/Yizhou)
Stats: 104*-105*-62*-36-56*
Skills: Charge, Duelist, Leader (e), Loyalty, Navy, Reversal, Valor,Weaponmaster, Zeal.
Castilho
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: Wu o/

Postby Xiahou Mao » 16 Jul 2019, 17:43

We certainly shall send a mass Email out, so make sure your profile information is up to date!
Xiahou Mao - True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Xiahou Mao
Don't Cross The Boss
Don't Cross The Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Role-play Forum