Out Of Character (OOC) Thread

For open role playing, quests, and OOC posts.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: Out Of Character (OOC) Thread

Postby Roshi » 18 Mar 2019, 06:03

Xiahou Mao wrote:Aren't you too old to remember passwords?

I might be, but thankfully my browser does it for me now!
Ma Nemo (99) 42-38-78*-83*-92*
Administration(e), Cunning, Logistics, Riot, Tactician, Zeal
Prefect of the Imperial Secretariat (+50%)
Roshi
Immortal Lecher

Kingdom: ???

Postby Bradums » 09 May 2019, 23:16

A weird train of thought brought me here to poke.

Watching GoT made me wish there was a GoT sim. Then I wished there was any sim. Then I lamented how iffy the writing has been on GoT lately and thought, "I've seen better writing and plot development in SimRTK..."

And click...why not poke the OOC on SimRTK for fun!
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby Phailak » 09 May 2019, 23:25

Bradums wrote:A weird train of thought brought me here to poke.

Watching GoT made me wish there was a GoT sim. Then I wished there was any sim. Then I lamented how iffy the writing has been on GoT lately and thought, "I've seen better writing and plot development in SimRTK..."

And click...why not poke the OOC on SimRTK for fun!

Excuse me, any sim here raises hand (though we are near ending v7)
Fei Lai (31)
94-80-31-31-31
Skills: Charge(e), Blitz, Cunning, Leader, Valor
Soldier info
Phailak
Officer With Many Posts

Kingdom: Shen Hu

Postby Bradums » 15 May 2019, 20:39

Thanks to a ridiculous long-term workload when that all went down, I didn't see your message about the new game until...I forget, but WAYYYY after it happened :(

Same old cycle. When I want to sim and have time, there's no sim going on. When I have no time and couldn't possibly participate, there's something going on.

And with GoT going on, I was also hoping to see a GoT sim somewhere to get both fixes, but no such luck. There was one on Reddit, but I hate Reddit and the posting format triggers my OCD. So, as I always do, I started brainstorming and writing down storyline ideas, stat and item groundwork, and possible mechanics for a GoT sim of my own before realizing I'm absolute crap with making balanced math line up for game mechanics and putting it down.

I'm like Sisyphus. Always pushing that damn rock uphill, always getting nowhere >.>
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby Han1977 » 16 May 2019, 07:43

I hope the admins are willing to consider my proposal :

Start the sim again using any previous version mechanism. The one with lowest burden for staffs, use your deus ex machina power to rectify any problem along the way.

Because ....

A flawed sim, is better than no sim at all.

A flawed sim where the admin must end it with a meteors raining from the sky, killing 2/3 of the population, is still better than no sim at all.

I'm 41 now, soon will be 42, and still waiting. :roll:

Thank you.

[ADD:: FYI, I signed up at this forum in my twenties. Going through marriage and divorce, waiting for the next sim to begin again. :? ]
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-61-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 52
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby Mal Tijie » 16 May 2019, 12:19

I second this proposal! At this point I've waited longer than what I've played on here lol
Ma Zang
82*-71-40-40-79
Aid, Inspire, Leader, Loyalty, Vehemence

V6 Li Shun, Destined Emperor of China (Or a drunken blacksmith, haven't decided)
Mal Tijie
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: TBD

Postby UnholyBlade » 20 May 2019, 07:42

Mal Tijie wrote:I second this proposal! At this point I've waited longer than what I've played on here lol

....this makes me feel bad because of how true it is :lol:
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
Counter, Fortunate, Leader(e), Loyalty, Reversal, Volley
If you need me, PM is the best way
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Granseal

Postby Xiahou Mao » 21 May 2019, 14:41

I have a feeling we'd need a recruiting drive for active staff before we could get anything like that done...
Xiahou Mao - True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Xiahou Mao
Don't Cross The Boss
Don't Cross The Boss

Postby Mal Tijie » 22 May 2019, 05:23

With the number of people who have volunteered in the past, I couldn't imagine a group of people would be that hard to find.
Ma Zang
82*-71-40-40-79
Aid, Inspire, Leader, Loyalty, Vehemence

V6 Li Shun, Destined Emperor of China (Or a drunken blacksmith, haven't decided)
Mal Tijie
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: TBD

Postby Taishi Guang » 22 May 2019, 15:02

Mal Tijie wrote:With the number of people who have volunteered in the past, I couldn't imagine a group of people would be that hard to find.

If we can all be honest with ourselves for a moment, the chances of v6 releasing are slim-to-none. Yes, there were a lot of volunteers in the past, but with the vast majority of those volunteers being turned down or leaving due to years of site inactivity or both, anybody willing to either help develop or run the sim will be extremely hard to find.

Xiahou Mao wrote:I have a feeling we'd need a recruiting drive for active staff before we could get anything like that done...

Add a recruiting drive for developers as well. If not, v6 will never see the light of day - it doesn't take 8 years to start a new sim version, especially when you have a base to work with and aren't starting from scratch.

Game staff and developers need new blood. Old staff who haven't done anything productive for years, regardless of their last activity here, need to go. Plain and simple. If you continue to turn away motivated and helpful people out of fear that the precious formulas might become public, or you might hurt feelings, you need to get over that antiquated line of thinking. Every single game the players figure out the rough, if not exact, formulas for pretty much everything within the first few turns.

Out of the 20 staff (Admin, GM & RM), 15 have been inactive longer than 6 months - 11 have been inactive at least a year and 7 have been inactive at least 2 years. If it is only GMs and Admins that are doing v6 development, out of the 9 GMs on site, a total of 7 have been inactive at least 1 year, with 4 being inactive at least 4 years!

If you don't seriously seek out help, or accept the help offered, and v6 continues to stagnate as it has for the past 8 years, then all you're doing is wasting James' money to host this site.
"... no army ever got beat because an enemy sat there hurling insults." -Unknown

"We're all gonna die. I'm going to do it having actually made an attempt to enjoy my life as opposed to being too overly concerned about the potential risks of my hobbies." - Strong Bad
Taishi Guang
Master of the Obvious

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby Phailak » 22 May 2019, 15:26

Agreed. Honestly feel people yearn more for the nostalgia than the actual playing, had a ton of people come out of the woodwork for our current version of Warlords only to quickly fade away, staying active as a player on a sim is actually pretty demanding, staffing it requires a tremendous amount of dedication and time.

SimRTK is my first love, I'd be glad to help :mrgreen:
Fei Lai (31)
94-80-31-31-31
Skills: Charge(e), Blitz, Cunning, Leader, Valor
Soldier info
Phailak
Officer With Many Posts

Kingdom: Shen Hu

Postby Taishi Guang » 22 May 2019, 15:36

Then maybe a change in concept is needed for all of these sims? Change from kingdom-based (team) to player-based (individual)? As it has always been, kingdoms require players and most players either go inactive or are just turn bots. Just take that out of the equation and have it be head-to-head.

Oh, and good to see you still kicking Phailak :D
"... no army ever got beat because an enemy sat there hurling insults." -Unknown

"We're all gonna die. I'm going to do it having actually made an attempt to enjoy my life as opposed to being too overly concerned about the potential risks of my hobbies." - Strong Bad
Taishi Guang
Master of the Obvious

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby Roshi » 23 May 2019, 06:01

Oh heck I remembered to log into this site again.
Roshi
Immortal Lecher

Postby Roshi » 30 May 2019, 06:08

My one regret with this new Total War game (besides just being bad at it) is that I can't make my own badass old man to run things.
Roshi
Immortal Lecher

Postby Ranbir » 30 May 2019, 11:09

Game is too big, players are too few.* Certainly feels like there hasn't been a really proactive effort to get v6 working or the game itself getting off the ground. Especially for the better part of a decade has shown very little.

Scale the game system down. Focus on player roleplay. The internet and people are really different to what we were like in 2002. Forums like this are no longer the standard form of communication. It is twitter, reddit and stuff like that. From what I've seen, small group roleplay sessions are what's in vogue right now and what's probably best is a wider context RTK story pushing forward and lots of group sessions played underneath, focused and not beholden to managing a kingdom spreadsheet or processing turns. Actually reduces workload for everyone involved. Small dnd' sessions why not?

Also more blue people.
Whenever righteousness declines and unrighteousness increases I make myself a body; In every age I come back, to deliver the holy, to destroy the sin of the sinner, to establish righteousness.

Ranbir
♪ Ohh... the wonderful thing about Ranbirs, is Ranbirs are wonderful things! ♪♪

Kingdom: Team Ranbir

PreviousNext

Return to Role-play Forum