[Pre-game] General Roleplay Thread

For open role playing, quests, and OOC posts.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: [Pre-game] General Roleplay Thread

Postby Xuang Ren » 19 Jul 2013, 12:58

Jaerdean wrote:The unusually short man hobbled through the village toward the only tavern in town. Being distant, and in a bit of forested hilly area, the small village seemed to exist almost out of time. At least, for the short man it did. Then again, he was hardly tasked for anything, and when other youths left for the glories of battle, to pick this side or that and fight for their beliefs, nobody wanted the poor dwarfed youth.

Before he could make it to the tavern, he ran into a peddler with a clearly cut-off spear, or at the very least the great makings of a slightly-too-short spear.

"Good afternoon traveler," the dwarfed man said. "Would you like to have a drink at the tavern with me?"

He liked travelers, and even more so, he liked working with wood. That shaft would make for a great spear, especially for a man of his size. Not quite like the siege craft he dreamed of building for some great army, but it would start.

{OMG!! A Reply!!! Praise the Divine! :D }

It was indeed a market day in the village, An Yang village to be exact, as Hong had learned as he approached it. He also learns that this village is midway between Xiao Pei and Pengcheng, which means he managed to get a good distance between him and whatever yellow mess he was in until a few days ago. All in all it was a perfect place to start over; maybe he could get a new job in no time, particularly with this new conflict apparently starting in the Capital.

As he entered the village, Su Hong stopped on the roadside, observing the situation. In the worst case scenario some of the guards who crushed his bandit band could have hunted the remnants until this far, maybe some of them manages to recognize him. That and he also needed to figure out where to go next, it was then when suddenly a man greeted him.

Hong looked back to find the hailer, but he sees nobody. Then the voice invited him to go drinking together, then he realize the source of the voice was much lower than he anticipated.

His first reaction was to raise an eyebrow. “Good afternoon ki… um…sir… um, fellow traveler. Do you have a business with me? Or do we know each other?”

After escaping from such ordeal he wouldn’t have dreamed that the first person he talked to was kind of… unique. Nevertheless, albeit small this person seems to be quite intelligent. Maybe talking to him will worth something.

Then Su Hong threw a smile, a dry one at that.

But why he kept eyeing on his used-to-be-spear stick?

He immediately withdrew the smile.
Pre-game: Su Hong
Xuang Ren
Experienced Officer

Kingdom: Free

Postby Jaerdean » 22 Jul 2013, 19:15

Xuang Ren wrote:{OMG!! A Reply!!! Praise the Divine! :D }

It was indeed a market day in the village, An Yang village to be exact, as Hong had learned as he approached it. He also learns that this village is midway between Xiao Pei and Pengcheng, which means he managed to get a good distance between him and whatever yellow mess he was in until a few days ago. All in all it was a perfect place to start over; maybe he could get a new job in no time, particularly with this new conflict apparently starting in the Capital.

As he entered the village, Su Hong stopped on the roadside, observing the situation. In the worst case scenario some of the guards who crushed his bandit band could have hunted the remnants until this far, maybe some of them manages to recognize him. That and he also needed to figure out where to go next, it was then when suddenly a man greeted him.

Hong looked back to find the hailer, but he sees nobody. Then the voice invited him to go drinking together, then he realize the source of the voice was much lower than he anticipated.

His first reaction was to raise an eyebrow. “Good afternoon ki… um…sir… um, fellow traveler. Do you have a business with me? Or do we know each other?”

After escaping from such ordeal he wouldn’t have dreamed that the first person he talked to was kind of… unique. Nevertheless, albeit small this person seems to be quite intelligent. Maybe talking to him will worth something.

Then Su Hong threw a smile, a dry one at that.

But why he kept eyeing on his used-to-be-spear stick?

He immediately withdrew the smile.

He took his eyes off the stick and looked back to the man, with his faint smile.

"Oh, I suspect not. I don't travel much, as it is tedious for somebody of my stature. Even riding a mule - the only mount I have - is a bit of a bother. I would barter with you on that stick you have there. It would be a pity for it to stay a walking stick, especially if it is of good enough wood. Why, I could make two spears my size with that thing, given the right time and tools.

"So...on that note, I suppose I could have business with you after all. That is, if you are willing to sell."

Perhaps this was a sign, a reason for him to dust off his riding boots, find his tiny saddle, and ride his mule into the fray out in the world to find a ruler to follow. Perhaps this was the push he needed to begin his seigecrafting.
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong
Statting: 42-89-82-32-32 Alchemist; Invent; Medic; Mystic

"Hey, you sass that hoopy Yindun Zhe? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Xuang Ren » 26 Jul 2013, 17:01

Jaerdean wrote:
He took his eyes off the stick and looked back to the man, with his faint smile.

"Oh, I suspect not. I don't travel much, as it is tedious for somebody of my stature. Even riding a mule - the only mount I have - is a bit of a bother. I would barter with you on that stick you have there. It would be a pity for it to stay a walking stick, especially if it is of good enough wood. Why, I could make two spears my size with that thing, given the right time and tools.

"So...on that note, I suppose I could have business with you after all. That is, if you are willing to sell."

Perhaps this was a sign, a reason for him to dust off his riding boots, find his tiny saddle, and ride his mule into the fray out in the world to find a ruler to follow. Perhaps this was the push he needed to begin his seigecrafting.

"You mean you want to buy this sp... I mean stick?"

Hong took a couple of seconds to understand the situation. He does need some money and information; this shorty does looks like a bright person. However, he don't know the market price for a piece of stick, but he figured it won't cost very much anyway.

Hong scratches his lightly bearded chin. "Very well, if you buy me a meal you can have it. Deal?"
Xuang Ren
Experienced Officer

Postby Strata » 31 Jul 2013, 16:01

Gong An 190 AD

Beside a typically beautiful lake adorned with flowers there was a man sitting alone handling a flute. The man was of average height and rather stocky. He had a handsome face, rugged as if used to hard labour. As he sat it was apparent he was trying to play the flute, however with no great success.

''No, no, no that's not it. It sounded nothing like that when he played it...''

The man attempted once again to lift the flute to his lips and play, his clumsy fingers were making a mess of the act and before long he set it down again next to him. He let out a long sigh, before smiling to himself and half-laughing.

''Ha, perhaps you were right. We were born different after all, this is something I cannot do old friend''

[[OPEN RP]]
Pre Game: Shen Yun
Strata
Officer

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby Jaerdean » 08 Aug 2013, 00:18

Xuang Ren wrote:"You mean you want to buy this sp... I mean stick?"

Hong took a couple of seconds to understand the situation. He does need some money and information; this shorty does looks like a bright person. However, he don't know the market price for a piece of stick, but he figured it won't cost very much anyway.

Hong scratches his lightly bearded chin. "Very well, if you buy me a meal you can have it. Deal?"

The man grinned and waved for a servant to approach the table. He ordered silently, then waited for the man to leave. Turning to his new companion, the stumpy man's grin widened.

"I'll do you one better than that. I have in possession a nice sword, ornate enough to look good on the belt of a man no longer of the military, but too dull to be seen as an officer-deserter. Those who see it will see a noble or a rich merchant, not a soldier or officer who has fled the battlefield.

"All I ask in return for this sword - a prodigious tool to acquire prestige without much aid - is the army you left, or one you'd back on a wager, and a good idea of what sort of siege craft they would likely need. Then, upon the end of this meal, I'd be more than happy to make that shaft into two spears for myself. One for my own keeping, and the other as proof of my own labor to whichever camp you choose to send me to.

"So my friend," the midget crafter said, "Do we have a deal?"
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong

"Hey, you sass that hoopy Yindun Zhe? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Xuang Ren » 16 Aug 2013, 09:35

Jaerdean wrote:The man grinned and waved for a servant to approach the table. He ordered silently, then waited for the man to leave. Turning to his new companion, the stumpy man's grin widened.
a
"I'll do you one better than that. I have in possession a nice sword, ornate enough to look good on the belt of a man no longer of the military, but too dull to be seen as an officer-deserter. Those who see it will see a noble or a rich merchant, not a soldier or officer who has fled the battlefield.

"All I ask in return for this sword - a prodigious tool to acquire prestige without much aid - is the army you left, or one you'd back on a wager, and a good idea of what sort of siege craft they would likely need. Then, upon the end of this meal, I'd be more than happy to make that shaft into two spears for myself. One for my own keeping, and the other as proof of my own labor to whichever camp you choose to send me to.

"So my friend," the midget crafter said, "Do we have a deal?"

Suo was taken aback by the small guy's offer.

But then, he realizes. Why does he know that I was a soldier? Was it so obvious on him? If this midget can realize it what if some guards from Xia Pi hunted him to this village.

Now he's kinda afraid. But he didn't think that this short man actually meant him any harm.

"Well, I suppose I cannot refuse such good offer wouldn't I? But I cannot help you about my former army, they are hopeless bunch."

Suo looked around.

"But I don't want to talk about them here. If you don't mind, shall we continue our dealing in a less conspicuous place? Maybe... that tavern over there?"
Xuang Ren
Experienced Officer

Postby Jaerdean » 10 Sep 2013, 00:47

Xuang Ren wrote:Suo was taken aback by the small guy's offer.

But then, he realizes. Why does he know that I was a soldier? Was it so obvious on him? If this midget can realize it what if some guards from Xia Pi hunted him to this village.

Now he's kinda afraid. But he didn't think that this short man actually meant him any harm.

"Well, I suppose I cannot refuse such good offer wouldn't I? But I cannot help you about my former army, they are hopeless bunch."

Suo looked around.

"But I don't want to talk about them here. If you don't mind, shall we continue our dealing in a less conspicuous place? Maybe... that tavern over there?"

The stumpy man nodded, waving for the man to lead on.

"I am really rather intrigued by the whole situation with armies. How they're camped, how they move, the whole, oh what is the word? The logistics of it!

"Alas, I haven't the mind for such things, though I wish I did. At least I can craft with wood, make things, and scheme things. Do you think I will be helpful? I do hope I will."
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong

Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Sun Tang » 14 Sep 2013, 04:18

Fei Shi's arms were beginning to feel like rubber. For months he worked tirelessly to put out the flames on lord Ouch's transport boats, but for whatever reason the flames would not dissipate. The fires dragged on and on and there seemed to be no hope that the goods would make their destination. The projected arrival date of delivery for the goods had come and gone long ago and people were beginning to hunger, but at this rate the flames were seemingly consuming any chance of sustenance for those eager stomachs. The boats no longer seemed to even move, the crafts seemed still and lifeless in the southern waters off the coast. Fei Shi heard murmurs from some of the crew "We need to work harder and get these flames out!". "All Fei Shi could do was throw more water on the flames and be patient, but it did not seem to do very much. A month earlier he dropped his bucket and it cracked, so he was only able to throw half a bucket of water on the flames at a time. A few of the crew man had abandoned ship, but Fei Shi stayed the course. He was loyal to lord ouch, a strange fellow who had be enraged fighting the flames and leading by example himself, it was truly inspiring to see him work so hard at the same thing for months on end with the exact same results, day after day. Finally, after so long, the flames seemed to start dying down and the boat seemed to even start moving. Their prayers may have finally been answered. Perhaps, just perhaps... they would finally make land and begin the next phase of their mission. The crew were hesitant to cheer or grow overly optimistic, but they seemed to begin to perk up.
Sun Tang
Stalking Xiahou Mao

Postby Xuang Ren » 18 Sep 2013, 00:17

Jaerdean wrote:
The stumpy man nodded, waving for the man to lead on.

"I am really rather intrigued by the whole situation with armies. How they're camped, how they move, the whole, oh what is the word? The logistics of it!

"Alas, I haven't the mind for such things, though I wish I did. At least I can craft with wood, make things, and scheme things. Do you think I will be helpful? I do hope I will."

Suo lead the man into the tavern. It was quite crowded, but Suo immediately found a couple of empty benches. He waved to a waitress and signed for meals for two.

"By the way, you can call me Suo. What should I call you with?"

"If you insist to know what my former army looked like, then maybe I can give you a little bit description. Well, to put it simply, they are basically just a bunch of angry peasants with a few core of mercenaries to lead them. They lived off the land mostly, logistics are not really their strong forte. Although later there was some effort to establish supply line and bases, as the number of men swell and our territory expand, it soon became futile. That's why most of them are now simply melted away or just reduced to basically bandit bands roaming the land. Although some of the most elites are still fighting."

Suo let out a heavy breath.

"There's a good head on that small body of yours, so I'm sure you know which army I was belong. And I trust you to keep that information on yourself, as I no longer want any assocciation with them."

"Say, why are you so interested in this kind of thing anyway, are you some kind of craftman turned scholar or something?"
Xuang Ren
Experienced Officer

Postby Jaerdean » 01 Oct 2013, 20:46

Xuang Ren wrote:Suo lead the man into the tavern. It was quite crowded, but Suo immediately found a couple of empty benches. He waved to a waitress and signed for meals for two.

"By the way, you can call me Suo. What should I call you with?"

"If you insist to know what my former army looked like, then maybe I can give you a little bit description. Well, to put it simply, they are basically just a bunch of angry peasants with a few core of mercenaries to lead them. They lived off the land mostly, logistics are not really their strong forte. Although later there was some effort to establish supply line and bases, as the number of men swell and our territory expand, it soon became futile. That's why most of them are now simply melted away or just reduced to basically bandit bands roaming the land. Although some of the most elites are still fighting."

Suo let out a heavy breath.

"There's a good head on that small body of yours, so I'm sure you know which army I was belong. And I trust you to keep that information on yourself, as I no longer want any assocciation with them."

"Say, why are you so interested in this kind of thing anyway, are you some kind of craftman turned scholar or something?"

The short man listened, and replied.

"My name is Tian Meng, and I will keep silent your history," Meng said nodding.

As the food arrived, Meng tucked in with vigor belying his small size. He seemed to eat like a famished person, although it was apparent he was nothing that poorly off. Taking a short break to breathe, he continued to talk.

"Nothing so special as a scholar, though I can read. But I see...things...when it comes to woodworking, and looking at layouts of villages, though I've only seen a couple, seem to strike my thoughts. I don't mean to sound like I know too much, but I think I could do a good job with logistics."
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong

Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Kongming999 » 19 Oct 2013, 14:40

It was that time of year again: summer had just ended, and autumn’s careless hand had not yet begun to swipe its way across the land, not yet started to set the trees on fire with red leafy flames.

The cusp of seasons provided a unique beauty of their own, thought An Xuan, feeling the gentle breeze brush lightly against his shaven head. Look at these leaves. Do they realize that in a few short months their lives will be ended? Do they know how they shall be torn from the bough they have known all their lives, to be strew on the ground for the rushing feet of passerby? What a very poetic thought. I shall have to write this down. Xuan chuckled to himself, secretly impressed with his self-determined poetic talent.

"Hurry up, An Xuan."

Huh... What?

"Hurry up, An Xuan."

An Xuan snapped out of his reflections upon hearing the voice for the second time. It belonged to the young monk’s travelling companion, who by this time had passed him by nearly a hundred meters.

"Master... Wait for me!!" Xuan shouted as he rushed to catch up with his teacher.

OPEN RP
v6 pre-game
An Shigao, Marquis of Parthia (42) 36-54-75-75-75 Charming, Networking, Riot, Rumor, Scribe, Spy, Stealth

v5: Lin Chung
Kongming999
Experienced Officer

Postby Xuang Ren » 25 Oct 2013, 14:56

Jaerdean wrote:The short man listened, and replied.

"My name is Tian Meng, and I will keep silent your history," Meng said nodding.

As the food arrived, Meng tucked in with vigor belying his small size. He seemed to eat like a famished person, although it was apparent he was nothing that poorly off. Taking a short break to breathe, he continued to talk.

"Nothing so special as a scholar, though I can read. But I see...things...when it comes to woodworking, and looking at layouts of villages, though I've only seen a couple, seem to strike my thoughts. I don't mean to sound like I know too much, but I think I could do a good job with logistics."

Huo finished his bowl, and hailed the waitress for more rice.

"Ah i see, you are one of those... engineers huh? Who make siege towers and such?"

The waitress came with another bowlful of rice. Noticing how his new friend eat, Huo somehow felt the urge to eat faster. he dig in somewhat more ferociously while listening to Meng's word.

Halfway through the second bowl, Huo paused to drink his wine. "You see, I there are also several self-proclaimed engineers in my army. They claims that they were very experienced woodworkers, and thinks that building siege towers are no different that building houses."

He poured more wine and when he put back the bottle, he slams it a bit, " Apparently they forgot that houses don't have wheels, and don't have to be rolled across battlefield under enemy fire...."

Huo pauses, "I lost quite a few old friend then. Two of the towers collapses, and the only one that got to the wall immediately got burned."

Huo threw a sharp glance toward Meng, "I hope you really know what are you doing. Battlefield are not playing ground where you can play build-it-up, you know."
Xuang Ren
Experienced Officer

Postby Jaerdean » 26 Oct 2013, 00:36

Meng bowed his head several times in response to the man's reply.

"Of course, of course. First, you must make a wide base, so that the tower neither topples, nor does it tip over. Of course, the best way is to anchor the tower to the wall - posing quite a danger to those planting the anchor - and pulling it from a distance to the wall.

"And, you'd need to soak the towers in water prior to pulling them to the walls, to keep them from catching fire. Unfortunately, that would make them heavier, but much safer."

Meng stopped eating, slowing the consumption of food on the table considerably as he seemingly pondered.

"No, no, the looks of a village are one thing, especially with walls and terrain to consider. The placement, craft, and use of siege weapons are an entirely different thing. But they go together, you see? If one does not know how to craft a village or city, how could they plan to conquer it with siege craft? You see the importance of both, don't you?"
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong

Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Frostbite Dragon » 11 Nov 2013, 00:36

Open RP

*After the fall of Luo Yang, the now former Guard Captain, Lin Shao realized just how bad things were for the Government and he decided that his daughter did not be part of it. SO instead of following the others towards Chang An, Lin Shao moved south. With all of the soldiers fighting up north, there was bound to be a need for men that could defend the people left behind. He traveled with his trusty spear and Lin Nuo a few steps behind. The girl spoke up first. "Why ae w heading south? Isn't all the action up north?" The older man stopped and turned around. "Its because of that we're heading south. Besides, living by the river won't be bad. Plenty of fish and I could get a job at a nearby port for gold." "Sounds boring..." "Peace isn't boring, its nice. I just want you to be able to enjoy your youth." Lin Nuo walked ahead of her father. She gazed across the river and pointed. "So that's our future eh?" Her father nodded as he patted her on the head. "Yep..."
Pre Game V.6 Character Lin Shao
Father of Lin Nuo
V.5 Character - Xiahou Xi-Feng
Frostbite Dragon
Experienced Officer

Kingdom: Secret Agent Man!!!

Postby Xuang Ren » 11 Nov 2013, 01:46

Jaerdean wrote:Meng bowed his head several times in response to the man's reply.

"Of course, of course. First, you must make a wide base, so that the tower neither topples, nor does it tip over. Of course, the best way is to anchor the tower to the wall - posing quite a danger to those planting the anchor - and pulling it from a distance to the wall.

"And, you'd need to soak the towers in water prior to pulling them to the walls, to keep them from catching fire. Unfortunately, that would make them heavier, but much safer."

Meng stopped eating, slowing the consumption of food on the table considerably as he seemingly pondered.

"No, no, the looks of a village are one thing, especially with walls and terrain to consider. The placement, craft, and use of siege weapons are an entirely different thing. But they go together, you see? If one does not know how to craft a village or city, how could they plan to conquer it with siege craft? You see the importance of both, don't you?"

Huo stroke his lean beard as his other hand filled his cup with wine.

" I'm not sure what do you mean by that, but I kinda see you point. I was involved in the siege of Y... ahem, a city before, and we have this part of city where it seems to be the most vulnerable part of the wall. I mean, it was a long stretch of wall with a single small gate and no towers except at both ends, and at a glance seems quite dilapidated." He explained it while drawing the imaginary map in the table with his hand.

'But there was a series of houses in front of the wall, before a wide trench,and then another complex of houses leaning to the wall; it was about 100 meters deep. So it was practically impossible to use towers, and infantry have to go trough a maze-like streets. Needless to say, there was traps and ambushes coupled with constant barrage of arrows and stones from the wall, it was a messy affairs."

Huo sighed, "You engineers are sure pain in the arse, both when you know what you are doing, and when you're not."
Xuang Ren
Experienced Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Role-play Forum