SimRTK V5 Ending Roleplay

For open role playing, quests, and OOC posts.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: SimRTK V5 Ending Roleplay

Postby Kun Tiao » 01 Mar 2013, 15:50

It was a moment or two when it was not clear when the leader of Jing and Chu started to speak.

"Our father… he was… He was no scholar, he was a man who decides and acts.

You know, scholars of the Plains seek in actions and in thoughts something that they call humanity, and they encourage leaders to do something in name of it. It is not the way of Jiuli to seek it; neither have we followed senseless harshness of laws of Han and other kingdoms of the Plains. At times people do little evil things to each other, we try to not do it. We try to help each other – say, when we need to build a home, we can call all neighbours, and they would come and help. We try to understand each other. When we need an advice, we ask our elders, though, at the end, we do as we do.

Those who are respected, those who can either give a good advice or lead in anything – they get noticed and known by everyone. Our father was such a man. He listened to the elders, yet he could speak with them with wisdom. There were warriors stronger than him, yet he could wield a spear and be among those good, and he could lead, and those with him usually returned home, be it a hunt or be it a trap. He knew when to say, and when say nothing.

The Han is your dream, yet for us the Han… was not that much of a dream. The elders said it was possible to live near kingdoms that were before the Han. It was not quite possible to live near Han. It started long before our father, but our father succeeded in winning a skirmish a after a skirmish. The people believed in him, in his luck, in his destiny. He was not a leader of all people. At home he was merry and spirited, for people he was a hero. He descended from our heroes of the past, though not only he did.

When whatever fights at the North made governors rulers themselves, the Han governor of Wu Ling did not turn better, he turned worse. People decided it is time.

We weren't used to fight inside a city, but our was dare, and we were already inside the city. It was the day when people and people of the mountains fought together. Our father fought ahead, and our two elder brothers did. They fought as warriors do. Many good warriors did.

I doubt I was intended as a Leader, though we rarely know the fate. Our younger brother was still too young. My elder sister and I were proclaimed leaders by warriors. Should it be short, the further children would be, or other lines or other leaders would be – the struggle of people began, the struggle of people really began. We were symbols rather than rulers, yet our word was… it was not law, it was instant, it was something that happens. Quickly we had little choice but to become rulers, but to listen to sages and travelers about the lands around. For me it was to understand, to understand and imagine – first a little. We would do little in leading raids, but now there was a city, and warriors needed more than keep Han soldiers from mountains.

What mattered was that what our father started had to be, not fade – to change the way of things, to change it entirely. It was that it would be or not be, and who knows when one more time there would be a way to not only live, but to make our ancestors not ashamed of us, that it is possible and it must be now."

The younger sister shyly intervened. "The elder sisters were in that battle. People speak differently, yet they say there was what they did in it, and there was what they did in their wrath and that our father would know."

"Little that I could remember well, nothing that could be of anything or could be enough. Our father… we miss him greatly. For us he was the best of the fathers. At times I think he speaks with me. I ask for advise, and at times he says, at times he is silent."
V5 Miao Li Houa, 20, 38*-76*-105*-70-93*, Aid (e), Articulate, Loyalty (e), Civil Engineer, Charming, Cunning, Medic, Mystic (e), Propaganda, Rally (e), Reversal, Rumor (e), Tactician (e), Zeal

V4(176)JiaoKuntiao76-56*-83-52-64*
V3
Kun Tiao
Really needs a custom title by now.

Kingdom: Where is your heart?

Postby Xu Yuan » 02 Mar 2013, 05:23

Kun Tiao wrote:It was a moment or two when it was not clear when the leader of Jing and Chu started to speak.

"Our father… he was… He was no scholar, he was a man who decides and acts.

You know, scholars of the Plains seek in actions and in thoughts something that they call humanity, and they encourage leaders to do something in name of it. It is not the way of Jiuli to seek it; neither have we followed senseless harshness of laws of Han and other kingdoms of the Plains. At times people do little evil things to each other, we try to not do it. We try to help each other – say, when we need to build a home, we can call all neighbours, and they would come and help. We try to understand each other. When we need an advice, we ask our elders, though, at the end, we do as we do.

Those who are respected, those who can either give a good advice or lead in anything – they get noticed and known by everyone. Our father was such a man. He listened to the elders, yet he could speak with them with wisdom. There were warriors stronger than him, yet he could wield a spear and be among those good, and he could lead, and those with him usually returned home, be it a hunt or be it a trap. He knew when to say, and when say nothing.

The Han is your dream, yet for us the Han… was not that much of a dream. The elders said it was possible to live near kingdoms that were before the Han. It was not quite possible to live near Han. It started long before our father, but our father succeeded in winning a skirmish a after a skirmish. The people believed in him, in his luck, in his destiny. He was not a leader of all people. At home he was merry and spirited, for people he was a hero. He descended from our heroes of the past, though not only he did.

When whatever fights at the North made governors rulers themselves, the Han governor of Wu Ling did not turn better, he turned worse. People decided it is time.

We weren't used to fight inside a city, but our was dare, and we were already inside the city. It was the day when people and people of the mountains fought together. Our father fought ahead, and our two elder brothers did. They fought as warriors do. Many good warriors did.

I doubt I was intended as a Leader, though we rarely know the fate. Our younger brother was still too young. My elder sister and I were proclaimed leaders by warriors. Should it be short, the further children would be, or other lines or other leaders would be – the struggle of people began, the struggle of people really began. We were symbols rather than rulers, yet our word was… it was not law, it was instant, it was something that happens. Quickly we had little choice but to become rulers, but to listen to sages and travelers about the lands around. For me it was to understand, to understand and imagine – first a little. We would do little in leading raids, but now there was a city, and warriors needed more than keep Han soldiers from mountains.

What mattered was that what our father started had to be, not fade – to change the way of things, to change it entirely. It was that it would be or not be, and who knows when one more time there would be a way to not only live, but to make our ancestors not ashamed of us, that it is possible and it must be now."

The younger sister shyly intervened. "The elder sisters were in that battle. People speak differently, yet they say there was what they did in it, and there was what they did in their wrath and that our father would know."

"Little that I could remember well, nothing that could be of anything or could be enough. Our father… we miss him greatly. For us he was the best of the fathers. At times I think he speaks with me. I ask for advise, and at times he says, at times he is silent."

Mi Zun listened attentively to the ladies as they spoke off their father with flashes of a grimace as they spoke, likely deriving from past painful memories and as they finished he glanced over to his young daughter who was also hearing well what the women of high station had said. Turning back to the women he nodded his head and sighed lightly. "The father of you two sounds like a man worthy of emulation. I cannot say the same for my father..." His eyes shot up as if in sudden thought. The thought of whether Jia would say something akin to this one day slipped into his mind and it drew a worried look across his face.

He had done all he could for her, but still it was not enough. All along the way, ever since she was old enough to talk, Mi Zun had filled her head with the world as he knew it when he was a boy. That of a glorious empire that was free of vice and commanded by the Son of Heaven who assured all within his domain was kept safe and secure. A call to home, but this home was not waiting for him when he arrived. All he saw was a war torn mess and a dead land. The people scratched their livings off of the constant warfare or performing some form of mercantile for the lords and their retainers while the lords in their high thrones saw it fit to slaughter hundreds upon thousands for something that would soon slip from their grasp should they hold it. This was not how the world should be... He had failed his charge and his lands. The age of nineteen and still he could secure no husband for his daughter. She did not appear to be too bothered by it... at least what she showed.

Mi Zun was pulled out of his revelry by the graceful voice of the one who came to this land as a child of eleven and left these warring states to their eventual destruction at the age of fourteen Now ever did his daughter study. Ever in vain... "What way do you see to peace, my Ladies Miao? The world has now been in chaos for almost two generations hence. It has been because people will not lay down their arms and those that do are forced into fighting for a side they don't truly believe in. Tell me. What will be your answer to putting this useless bloodletting into history's pages and off our fields and crops? Will defeating the Chancellor of the West cause some manner of stability? Or will the rule of "Non-Han" cause a greater backlash against your people than you can imagine? Say you do topple the regime of the Chancellor, what of the Governor Minzhe Jian? Will you co-exist with one of the men that tried to merely rally those against you because of your heritage?' Mi Jia took a sip of her tea. "Do forgive me if I'm being forward. Merely these are questions the ruled rarely get to ask of their rulers." She bowed her head to show her sincerity as she spoke.
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Gold: 4
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Han

Postby Kun Tiao » 07 Mar 2013, 15:34

((The previous post described the story of two elder sisters of the family (both PCs), Yao and Houa. In game terms, Yao was the initial ruler, and the main idea of the whole story is by the player of Yao.))

For Houa, Mi Zun nearly saying something bad about his father was unusual for a man of Han, yet she learned that when not understanding what is tactful, it is tactful to not address it and to not notice it. Feats of her father, when she described her father as a direct enemy to Han, being recognized by the zealot of Han as Mi Zun was, it meant a lot, it meant a whole lot.

And it was tea and tea as she answered the question of Mi Jia, with the younger sister similarly listening.

"When something can enrage me, it should not be questions. I heard, some rulers, as late Li Jun, were harsh when listening to questions that were hard for them to answer, a pity. I learned to constantly answer these questions, to imagine and think these questions. It is not that I know everything, it is not that there is one answer.

I would try to answer by saying that stability is in stability, not in making the new Han. There was struggle of everyone non-Han against everyone Han, yet it was in the very beginning. If the Han was an enemy of Jiuli, the pre-Han kingdom of Chu was not. Recalling this kingdom of Chu, recalling the proclaimed kingdom of Chu as a rival of the proclaimed kingdom of Han after the defeat of Qing, restoring what can be restored of it makes peace and accord within. It leaves enough for life of Jiuli, it leaves enough for life, culture, scholarship of Han, it leaves enough for life of different tribes. The world is quite stable for quite a long time, and Chu-Jiuli is stable all the time. Crops are gathered from fields, fruits of forests and rivers are gathered. The Jiuli are not everyone in the land, but, within Chu, the Jiuli are essential; within the land, Chu is essential. And it doesn't mean that either oppresses everyone else.

For people for scholars things change, but things change into having less restrictions. Still the able make their civil and military career. Those who think and study have more to study, to collect, to restore, to express opinion at. The language of Jiuli becomes a written language. The known Chu signs help, the rest continues. The language of Chu gets similarly restored. In the future the language of Jiuli, the language of Chu and the language of Qing and Han after Qing become languages to know by civil officials. With time, I believe, more languages would be written, so that wisdom of different people would stay in years.

Of rulers of the land, it is entirely possible to live near Lord Minzhe. He is frank and direct, and there is no vengeance between us. However heavy hostility he declared once, he fought his war directly, and the great battle of North and the South, one like those that happened in the past, happened in that war. The great hostility already happened in that war, making it way harder to repeat it in the land now. Later, he relied on us to rescue him, and he relied not in vain.
Now, for Heaven and Earth, a state that refers to Zhou is made by the state of Lord Minzhe, that is now Qi, the state of Lord Kan that is now Later Song, and by Chu-Jiuli. It does not make one of the kingdoms truly ahead of the other two, it does not make any of the kingdoms weaker, yet the unity made by the kingdom has its name, Zhen, with rites of Zhou restored, and hosted in every of kingdoms for a year. Now, after the year of Qi and the year of Chu-Jiuli, the year of Later Song began, and then it would repeat again and again. Maybe it is not forever, but all the time since Zhen if formed, all the land, all kingdoms of the land are in peace. Even Chen Wei sends no warriors here. Although this all happens, Chu-Jiuli remains strong; it remains a fortress of its nature and its warriors, a fortress of strength and stability. Ruling everyone by one is something that can be, but ruling everyone by one is not the only way of stability and strength, it is simply a rite, one of possible rites. When everyone recognizes it, it simply happens, but things to fight for are different. Conquering someone today, conquering someone tomorrow is not necessarily the way. It can be remembered that the end of Qing, not the Qing of Chen Wei, but the Qing that was before, was its victory. After its victory, after it conquered all kingdoms of the Plains, after it destroyed walls between kingdoms, after it worked hard to destroy differences between kingdoms, after it nearly destroyed languages of people and kingdoms, it lasted less than a generation. The first sign of its weakness was its end – it is something to remember.

Some say we maintain a large army, some say we fight little or with little ambition, yet whenever we come somewhere we stay there, otherwise we don't come, and we fought less battles than we won major cities. It is not a quick end, but every end is a beginning, and, sometimes, something already happens. When many speak about peace, we make it that the land lives peaceful life. Threats can sound – do they matter for people on land? People of Chu, different people of Chu are not forced into fighting for something that is nothing for them. They maintain this very stability and peace. The land is rich enough to feed everyone. War is war, but we fought, for the most part, without fighting, and when we really fought, we fought the way that the most returned from fields of battles, returned victorious and decorated. All our rivals know it, and all always wondered. Position of a warrior in Han customs is a rather low and neglected position – it is not this way in Chu. The first three years were the hardest years, but now some warriors return to families, ready to come back if need be, some go to duty.

Those who wish to enlist are preferred, and, gradually there is no lack of people who wish. Some are refused place in the army - the only sons in families are not taken, those who must take care about their parents are not taken. Within Jiuli, girls would rather dance with those who returned from the army. As more of non-Han people consider being a warrior as something high, the more non-Han influence is, but nobody is restricted, and nobody is restricted in career, many generals are Han, not native to Chu but from different lands.

How relations with, at times, notable enemies happened…

Maybe you heard about Gao Wu, a general that defended Chang Sha a year longer than Chang Sha could be defended. If not him, early success had to be quicker. Looking at it later, it is hard to say whether it would be victory at the end. The success would be earlier, the threat would be earlier, and the great rise against, such as that of Minzhe Jian, could be way earlier too. Whether it would be possible to withstand is hard to say. Whether, withstanding the first wave, victory would not only make the second wave, is hard to say. Still Gao Wu made a major difficulty to our cause – but he made it, following his duty. We understood that he follows he must do, and he understood that I follow what I have to do. Still the first war with him got concluded, I promised him this year and he had this year.
Later, when Gao Wu ascended at the South, something I expected before Gao Wu could expect it, again he ascended when nobody was ready to step up to lead a state in a great difficulty, many expected that we would resume our previous war. We did not. He knew that if anyone is a threat to his new state, it is not me, and sudden weakness of his state does not change it. He knew that Chen Wei is a threat to his state, and because of it, almost whoever is ahead, his state is not a threat to our cause. We resumed the alliance of kingdoms. He stayed true to it when Minzhe Jian made his war, when other kingdoms wished this war to be as serious as possible. Did we have peace and stability, peace and stability all the time, with whatever ruler, whatever personality, once with a ruler that was strongly rumoured to act in favour of the West – once ascending, they addressed me, they seeked peace, they got peace, they knew that they get it for real. It is sad for me that Gao Wu made his war with Wu, it is sad for me that he lasted it longer than when he still could conclude it after he could call it his victory – but here he believed in his own ways.

Maybe you remember the name of a general that opposed Chu-Jiuli the most in the conflict with lord Minzhe. Later he was the hero of stopping Chen Wei in mountains. He is… he is a man of war, and his honour is not the easiest to understand, but he is faithful in his heart. I am speaking about Xu Tsu. At founding of Zhen he was granted a title of Hou not by Chu-Jiuli, but by Zhen as the whole. His march is to the North and East from here."

Here the younger sister's happy voice sounded. "I remember him since, when, after leaving Han Zhong, he lived on Mount Xu. Now he is my husband-to-be, and the day of our wedding is arranged."
V5 Miao Li Houa, 20, 38*-76*-105*-70-93*, Aid (e), Articulate, Loyalty (e), Civil Engineer, Charming, Cunning, Medic, Mystic (e), Propaganda, Rally (e), Reversal, Rumor (e), Tactician (e), Zeal

V3
Kun Tiao

Postby Xu Yuan » 11 Mar 2013, 04:42

Having heard the indepth and organized manner of speech from the Lady of Chu, Mi Jia bowed her head in awe. "You have spoken well. The daily affairs of the world have been lost to my father and I since we retired from the world. We were not aware that an uneasy stability was returning to the land. Let us pray to Heaven above that such an object will not quickly disperse. By my research it appears that the years of disunity have often had these interspersed times of peace."

The young girl took another sip of tea before continuing. "You would be wise in utilizing the legacy of Chu, but not Xiang Yu's version. His rule brought suffering to the people of his time and thus why the numerically inferior Gaozu was allowed to thrive. However it is important to recall that Gaozu and Xiang Yu both served the King of Chu and indeed Gaozu's proclamation was that he set out to destroy Xiang Yu for his assassination of King Huai II. Gaozu truly respected the fallen King and had the King not been thrown to the wolves by Xiang Yu then possibly Gaozu's Han never would have become the new dynasty and the lands of succession passed through the Xiong clan of Chu."

The blonde haired girl shook her head solemnly. "I must highly suggest against replacing the Small Seal Scripts. Of all of the atrocities of Qin, Li Si's Small Seal Script system has united all people within this often contentious land. By the people of Guanzhong holding onto the same script as those in Wu then the world will come closer together rather than being forced apart by different dialects and different languages written. It will drive people further apart, rather than unite them, should you wish to preserve your own language and script, that is also an option but it is imperative in such a case that they also know the Small Seal Script if they are to communicate ably and efficiently with the rest of the Middle Kingdom."

Mi Zun's interest was piqued at a certain mention, his gruff voice seemed slightly slower than it had in years past. "The Rites of Zhou? You mean the meeting of the Dukes that would convene every several years to discuss the world at large and promote a Hegemon-King unto the next meeting? Did that not only succeed and keep the world in balance due to the King of Zhou's influence himself? Surely what hope would there be for such meetings would devolve into the Warring States Era as it did while the King of Zhou's eminence began to decline."

It was the mention of Qin's fall which drew a bright smile from the young lady. "You are correct. Chancellor Chen or what he may call himself in these present days was very shortsighted to call his regime Qin. It would bring to the people the thought of being forced to act purely for the security of few and so his land would quickly fall. I must wonder if has truly thought this through..." Mi Jia's expression became saddened as she looked over to her writing station for but a moment before turning her gaze back to the far-traveled ladies.

With the unexpected mention of Gao Wu both Mi Zun and Jia looked towards the leader of Chu with an earnest interest. It was Mi Zun to speak first. "Gao Wu... yes I know of him. He was a man who did not understand the importance of prudence. He was..." Mi Zun sighed lightly, "Gao Wu was the final man in which I served." The aged farmer's voice picked up in reverence as he spoke. "I had come to the far South to see what remained of Huo Li's bravery and charisma, a valiant gentleman unmatched within the Middle Kingdom. In failing to serve Huo Li I served Gao Wu, his successor and though at first the boy seemed appreciative of us as the King of Han always kept counsel with me my imparted thoughts all fell upon deaf ears." The bravado in which he first spoke began to wither as he continued to speak. "I advised him to go to war with you as to protect himself against Chen Wei, yet this was not agreed upon. He made enemies in every corner and though he did not betray your lands, he did indeed betray everyone else." Mi Zun took a long sip of cool crisp water. "I continued to serve him, left without a purpose, left without a goal, my King of Han nothing but a memory and my faction dissolved I drifted away and acted as ordered until I was finally pitted against Wu." His face contorted into a deeply saddened manner.

"I could not stand it! These were men and women I tried to unite together. How could I dare challenge those I had become venerable friends with? I turned from the field of battle and departed those lands to return to Baokang, a land that of calm serenity, untouched by the chaotic world."

Mi Zun continued to listen as the lady continued on, his attitude had calmed considerably. "I know of Xu Tsu." Mi Zun nodded in approval towards the younger sister with a soft smile on his aged face. "He is a renowned man who, some say, controlled all of the forces within the land towards a singular goal." Mi Zun laughed aloud. "What fools those people are. Surely if such was the case he would not have been at Chen Wei's mercy several times over." Realizing the offense he just committed towards the lady's husband-to-be Mi Zun bowed his head in forgiveness.

"Forgive me, I am but a rude old man, frustrated and at odds with the world around me I meant nothing personally against your betrothed. Xu Tsu is a man of great resource. While within the employ of Gao Wu the records of Yunnan showed in full his prestige from his time within their courts. I once met him at the Anti-M-..." Mi Zun quirked his eyebrow towards the ceiling as an odd kind of smile showed on his face. Surely what he was about to say would not help the matter. "In Ru Nan. His sense of speech and sheer presence was immediately felt by all when he entered within the meeting. I know last that he was in the employ of Minzhe Jian."

Mi Zun smiled genuinely and softly towards the younger lady. "I offer my congratulations. His is a name that will resound throughout scholars who will study our time in future years." Mi Zun's eyes quickly scanned his small home looking for something that would be worthy of a wedding gift. Mi Zun's eyes quickly found his way down to his weathered hand where sat atop his finger was an ornate ring of silver that a grateful prefect had given him for getting the jumbled records into a proper order. The elder removed the ring with little difficulty and held it towards Miao Ntuj. "It is meager, but it is all I have to offer, I ask the lady to accept this." Mi Zun gives Ornate Silver Ring (Charisma +1) to Miao Ntuj He bowed his head respectfully to the bride-to-be and then turned towards his own daughter who was already at a marriageable age. He was certain that he could attain a groom for her, just a little longer..."

Mi Zun rose from his bow and started speaking to the Lady of the Ling Mountains. "Is this marriage to show complete solidarity with Minzhe Jian, Lady Miao? You wed your younger sister to his most valued vassal and thus the lands between you two would maintain a true peace?"
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby Kun Tiao » 15 Mar 2013, 16:14

Ntuj accepted the ring with a bow and a confused smile. "Thank you so much, lord Mi! I would not part with your gift through my life."

After a quick pause for the ceremony Houa found words for her answer.

"I believe in true peace with lands of Minzhe Jian, and I believe, we have and keep this complete solidarity between us now, resolving anything anything we can disagree at in a counsel between us, yet the marriage of Ntuj is more than such a sign. Ntuj loves Xu Tsu, she loved him from afar, since long ago. In our culture, when there is love, the ceremony is not that important, and for me a better symbol was to not held it; yet for Xu Tsu it is, and as a symbol it is, and as, maybe a more important symbol that this.

Xu Tsu is a hero of our time, yet in his glory, in his deeds he represents his ancestors, and he always tries to be worthy of them. You possibly heard about the line of rulers of the kingdom of Xu that, for sages of the Plains, was long before Zhou, before there was Shang and if not before there was Xia. This is the line Xu Tsu continues.

And Xu Tsu is a highly valued vassal of Chu-Jiuli now. He did not approve the decision of Lord Minzhe to abandon Xin Ye without further struggle, while prior to Lord Minzhe attacking Jiang Xia, he advised him to strongly man the fort that guarded Xin Ye from Jiang Xia – the resolute attack on this fort by elite cavalry that withstood the siege in Jiang Xia made the war concluded. So, when, much as my advisors prepared with utmost care, Lord Minzhe decided to pass Xin Ye and end the war, Xu Tsu made his decision to stay in the city, to name himself and to ask to be delivered to me with honour, where he asked me to accept him as a vassal. It could well be a plan in accord with Lord Minzhe, I was aware that such plans happened in the past. Yet Lord Minzhe wished peace, not war, and I wished this either. The war made Chu noticeably stronger, yet, with its spirit gathered, the kingdom of Minzhe Jian became stronger too. The war both for Chu and for the kingdom of Lord Minzhe was concluded, making it further would be misunderstanding it.

You know the story that when Dugu Qiusheng abdicated, and Chu advanced to Jiang Xia, Minzhe Jian, ascending as the ruler, considered it an insult to him. Xu Tsu, against his wish, in charge of major affairs of the state, considered it an insult to him in person too. In that moment it was hard to tell him otherwise. Before it there was a letter from me to Minzhe Jian that did not give a promise that Chu would not advance to Jiang Xia, though Minzhe Jian and Xu Tsu understood that there was such a promise. It could be a cause for, once, wishing to fight a war to the end, but not truly for fighting a war to the end. Indeed, I cared to not increase hostility, yet Minzhe Jian and Xu Tsu also cared. Who cared to make hostility were the representatives of Chen Wei, but Chen Wei is Chen Wei. I understand, lord Mi, your advice to Gao Wu at that time, though following it, any doing how Chen Wei could like, could not hold Chen Wei – only strength could, and only doubt of Chen Wei when facing strength could.

A lot about Xu Tsu is, defunutely, unknown to me, as I have never seen the record of his deeds in other kingdoms, so the bits that came to me are small. When the story of Xu Tsu began in Han Zhong, he fought against Chen Wei and Cao Jianhe at the same time in absence of his ruler. Chen Wei and Cao Jianhe won, and Chen Wei, contrary to Cao Jianhe, decided that Xu Tsu can depart. Xu Tsu gave a promise to Chen Wei to not fight against him, yet with conditions, and soon Chen Wei broke its conditions, making Xu Tsu free from it.

When Huo Li continued the cause of Li Jun, the cause was already in great difficulty after Li Jun made war with Chen Wei, Zi Tong and Zhang Yi at the same time, always sending too many detachments, leaders and groups. After, in a hard battle, Chen Wei advanced to Cheng Du, Li Jun abdicated. Wisdom of engineer-general Zhang Heng saved the army of the South that time, yet the next battle was commanded poorly, and ended with a quick defeat. Zheng Heng left the South and, since that time, dedicated his efforts to building and advising in Chu. This was the state of affairs Huo Li accepted. This was where Xu Tsu added his wisdom, while, for a certain time, before Chen Wei broke conditions between him and Xu Tsu, staying within his word to Chen Wei.

Huo Li made serious struggle, yet however strong his spirit was, with great difficulties on his way again and again, once he lost his hope, and once day the nobles of the kingdom declared their full hope on Xu Tsu, an other day the opposite. It was not where Xu Tsu could issue the duty to the kingdom to the level the kingdom expected from him. Li Peng, brother of Li Jun, left the kingdom too that days. If Huo Li decided he would now live to be a warrior that would not fight in any wars and struggles, Xu Tsu and Li Peng decided that the liege left in the land is Dugu Qiusheng.

All the time Xu Tsu was seeking for a liege who would value him, yet would not demand him to make everything move and live in the state and among its warriors. When Xu Tsu is making plans or disrupting plans, when Xu Tsu is leading his chosen warriors, not many can compare with him. Yet, for years, his lieges and his states relied on his talent purely, when a state demands many of its sides to live, all the time. At first, kingdoms hoped that Xu Tsu can change everything, that he would do the impossible, and then they blamed Xu Tsu in their hope.

Within Chu it was not this way, and the battle with Chen Wei was where the impossible really was made, and, largely, thanks to Xu Tsu both in the counsel and in command of his arbalests. And now the land he defends is truly safe with him.

It is hard to say that Xu Tsu is as someone in stories, yet he certainly isn't Xiang Yu. But I am only speaking about Xu Tsu – I, really, lived years with his name on my lips, with bits of his thoughts speaking with me, on Jiuli, on Chu and on Chi. Differently than those of Xiang Quan. Maybe there is something of what some would call love, yet there is what can not be – we are not free, and for him I must be the liege – this is what must be."

Here, when, it seemed, Houa could not speak about anything of the state, Ntuj spoke, not with sureness of her sister, but with calmness and tact.

"Lord Mi, Lady Mi, the influence of King of Zhou that gathered the Dukes and their kingdoms, was it, in your opinion, the influence of, as scholars of Qin said, his Shu, his position of power, that was recognized regardless of the King in person?"

V3
Kun Tiao

Postby Xu Yuan » 19 Mar 2013, 17:48

Mi Zun smiled at the younger lady's reaction to receiving the gift. "Think nothing of it. It is a paltry gift that can be found in any vendor''s stall. I am ashamed that I have nothing more to offer you upon this most joyous occasion." He lightly bowed his head when he had finished speaking.

As the Lady of the Ling Mountains spoke at length in regards to Xu Tsu, Mi Zun nodded his head in understanding. "You're saying that Xu Tsu's line extends all of the way to the Yellow Emperor's Line into the time of the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors? Mi Zun thrusted his arms outward slowly with a wry smile. "Is that not the very legacy of the Han people? Surely the Yellow Emperor is our great ancestor in which we all are descended from. It may be partially that reason why the Han people have been so slow to accept living with those of other races. A narrow-minded belief to be sure." The aged farmer cocked his head to one side to show his disapproval of their actions.

From what the lady was saying it would appear that Xu Tsu had left Minzhe Jian's side over a disagreement in kingdom management and when his words were not heeded he left Minzhe Jian and went over to the Miao. In essence it was not that they were building a bond outside of the kingdom but was instead forming a solid base of support within the ruler's circle. It may be that the younger sister of the Seer of Tribes may be groomed as her successor. One to never hold back a thought, Mi Zun spoke candidly. "This wedding, while it is of love as seen in some sections of the far western lands. It will without a doubt place your sister ahead of all others. Are you preparing to allow your sister the chance to rule? With such a powerful and ambitious man as Xu Tsu as her husband a support network would be created through that alone, the man is of such an agile mind that I cannot see him sitting idly and with such a prestigious figure as counselor your sister's power and influence will grow with each passing day."

The mention of Gao Wu's available choices drew a grimace to the weathered face of the former lord as he stared down at his floor. "I... do not know. I believed acquiescence would save us of Han in Luo Yang once long ago. Yet that was not to be. Chen Wei, Ma Su, and Dugu Qiusheng all sought our end, despite the continual diplomatic efforts I found myself in. I had thought the threat would come from a vengeful Dugu Qiusheng, not from those all around me. It was then that I learned how cold the world could truly be." Mi Zun lifted his head to look straight into the Seer of Tribes eyes. "And this was amplified when you attacked Dong Jue before my Han Remnants could settle down. This was a brutal blow considering the constant communication in which we found ourselves in. It was a betrayal from many of those that I considered friends. Chen Wei was the first man I met upon returning to our land and the friendship that the lands of Miao and Han had struck up in our letters caught us all off guard when you chose to attack Dong Jue." Mi Zun slowly shook his head with a melancholic smile. "Nothing but a naive old man in the end, surely this is how history will record me. Perhaps attacking your lands in earnest would not avail us in any manner and Chen Wei would continue his campaign against us or perhaps not. I knew we could not attack Wu and prevail since the entire purpose of that feint was to throw you and your advisors off-guard originally before Gao Wu decided to doom himself."

The sad story of Xu Tsu was only partially reflected within those old records, The father and daughter looked introspectively towards the distance. "And therein lies the dangers of genius. When you succeed the collective places its burdens on you alone and when the collective fails you are the first to be blamed." Mi Jia spoke silently as her father exhaled lightly with a look of thoughtfulness to it all. "I do hope he will finally find a measure of peace within these lands. The man has fought from east to west and has always in one manner or another found himself against Chen Wei. At least his heart is in the right place, though his service to that snake Dugu Qiusheng is still a blemish on a largely spotless record. However with his influence perhaps he could have spared the Gentleman Liu's life..." It would appear that after all of this time Mi Zun could not forget that he failed to save the life of the man to whom he owed a debt.

As the Leader of Chu finished speaking of Xu Tsu, Mi Jia was the first to speak. "I see." She looked from the younger sister to the leader of nearly half of the kingdom. "A ruler must be a ruler. Surely if he were to marry your Ladyship then the world would view it in a less kind light and see it as a power-play of sorts. You have made the correct decision." She turned to look at Ntuj before turning back to Miao Li Houa. "You have brought joy to your sister's life in sacrificing your own happiness. You preserve the state and keep proper harmony between ruler and ruled. Surely your actions appear quite Confucian."

Mi Zun then reacted with a sad smile on his face. "I did not mean that an incredibly talented man like Xu Tsu would be put into story. There were not singular great moments of valor that would be passed down by the people that can be attributed to him, but to those who will study our time in a far-flung age he will be viewed as a major player of this era. He is not Xiang Yu. A strong and valiant man who lacked decency and was filled to the brim with deceit. I cannot say who he can be compared to from the past. He may be an entirely new archetype all together."

The conversation came back to the Rites of Zhou, in which Mi Jia responded. "It is a sad reality but as father had said it was based upon the presumed power of the Zhou itself. We can see that at first this idea worked marvelously. A meeting of this framework can have great effects in the land at large, but when the Zhou's political power began to decrease during the middle of the Spring and Autumn Era the nobles began to pay it smaller and smaller mind. Even the appointments of Hegemon-Kings came to be viewed with great suspicion and sometimes they were denied by states all together with others put in that exalted position. We can see this exact same circumstance occur to Duke Ai of Lu and the Three Great Families which slowly sapped the Duke's influence and power that despite all of Confucius' urgings he could not exercise his own decisions. Is it any surprise then that after Confucius' time the state of Lu is lost to the record until it re-emerges for its final fall? If we look at these two models we can see that their similarities are uncanny and in both it is the loss of influence of both which drew their innocuous ends."
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby Kun Tiao » 29 Mar 2013, 16:09

Questions of power were ones the sisters rarely talked about but silently, yet silence can come into words when need be. First Ntuj quickly replied.

"This, what is called power, it takes all that much! My elder sisters did not want it. If I would be called to my duty, one or an other, it would be, and we rarely know everything ahead, yet if it would be a duty of one to get ahead, children of my elder sisters would be ahead of me. They would unite the state more than I would. When they are not in age, and when they did not prove themselves, Teacher Guozhi, or, our uncle Renfeng, or our cousin Ruolan with her husband A Di La can speak on their behalf - it is not quite the same as to speak on behalf of the state. If power is name of power, my younger sister Chia with her husband Xiang Zing would be closer to power than I would be. All the time Xiang Zing speaks on behalf of the state when it is needed, it is not what my husband does.

I would be happy with my husband, but in no way all can accept him as one further than he is in Chu, in no way he wishes it, and so I get further from power that is in names, and further from duty of this power – yet he would be with me!

Our line descends from Chi You. As there are lines that descended Chi You, there are lines that descend from Yellow Emperor. The one of Xu is not one the people of Hua considered their, and, further, from the point of kingdoms of Hua, the kingdom of Xu was regarded as Dayi. Han is a name of a kingdom among the eighteen kingdoms where Gaozu was the king. Gaozu himself came from Chu kingdom, yet not from a line that was known long before. The line descending from Chi You and the line descending from Yellow Emperor would put us in the beginning of the restored House of Xu, that, if we would be blessed, would become prominent. Yet it would be not the same line of Chi You, and it would not the same line of Yellow Emperor. Our line signifies harmony and peace, yet our line does not replace the line that is accepted by people and nobles.
Xu was a kingdom when Chu was not, but now Xu can not be a kingdom. It would be the new House – yet not a House ruling in Chu-Jiuli. As my husband states himself a vassal of Chu-Jiuli with his March, so it would be. Our children can be called to issue higher duty if it would be their duty, all can be, yet our power in Chu-Jiuli is not power of names."

Then it was Houa's turn.

"If you ask me what the power in Chu is, it is no one easy answer. Strength is harmony and harmony is strength.

If I am this symbol of the state, those who speak on behalf of the state, with their words, when they do so, being as my words, are our elder sister Yao, our cousin Li Wen who is ahead of all warriors, our cousins Ruolan and Li Tou, Yen How, Mo Mo, Xiang Zing, Jiang Yan, Zhang Han Ming, Li Jia and Zhang Heng.

My words are power not because I have power, but because I am granted authority. This authority and its support make power. I, and all who can speak instead of me, know to take it seriously.
All of them understand matters of the state. They are different, they know, where and what in particular they usually decide without reporting and when something is unusual and a decision can wait, and when a decision can go as it goes. When one of them is present, and a decision must be made, this one decides. When several of them are present, they decide as if they are me, only when they agree. If they don't, usual duties of everyone as they follow their duties go.

They are not the ruler, but they represent the authority of the ruler and power of ruler, and, maybe more than I do, as I have less strength of decision than my position demands. Usually this authority does not stand above a commander who knows what is best here and now, or above a family working at fields. When it is truly needed, it can stand, but it is rare when it must be so.

But their position in the state is, while unusual, not higher or lower than positions of those who have different demands to them. There are advisors that report and advise directly to me, though as circumstances demand. Ntuj is one of them and Xu Tsu is one of them. Our younger brother Tong is not – he is a warrior, and a warrior he is.
Xu Fu is one of them and Li Ru is one of them. ((in this storyline Li Ru was not notorious with his deeds as in the novel. Still he represents branches of pragmatism and legalism that can be addressed more directly if the dialog would allow it, and he is a source of knowledge on these branches.))

There are vassals that are prominent and unusual in some way, and that have direct bond with me. Xu Tsu is prominent among them, yet if I would describe to you those who are prominent among them in their special way, prominent with their stories, prominent with obligations, I would talk about them only.
When a vassal must be personally addressed by me, I would address this vassal personally. It is my duty to remember every of them personally, and to be within obligations we once undertook to each other. Being one does not exclude being someone else in the state too. So Xu Tsu is a vassal, and Xu Tsu is an advisor, and Xu Tsu is a general, and Xu Tsu is a Hou, and, soon, Xu Tsu is a relative, and Xu Tsu is more than this outside the state, yet power of the state is not Xu Tsu in person.

There are vassals whom I ask before a major decision, or when I feel they can know an answer, or when they feel so. While they are not advisors all the time, many of crucial advices was given by them. For anyone who is not known to me yet, it is possible to come and bring opinion. When this opinion shows understanding, if not I, than one of advisors would notice it.
When someone is an example of duty, yet not a blind duty, but one that would not ruin something if put ahead of it, one becomes special in the state. It happens differently with everyone, but there is always a way, and it is not similar with merits that can be measured and awarded, and both are the ways.

Some who once were vassals became more of a family than vassals, yet they not always represent the state because it is not their, there is something else.

Larger decisions usually still come to me, but, when need be, those who can speak on behalf of the state can replace me in smaller or larger decisions. Relations with vassals though remain personal, and it is where I in person must be, and speak, and address. It is my duty, or duty of one who would accept my duties.

There is true power that comes from land, waters, soil, air, people, warriors. There is ruling power that at times may step from true power, but that must make decisions, or stand that decisions are like made, when everything goes in accord with true power. We, those I spoke about, together, not only some of us, but all together, and those whom I possibly don't know, make the unexpected and ever expecting mysterious ruling power of Chu-Jiuli.

So that plans are always not clear, but actions are clear. You were speaking about days when these decisions had to be made… but here I presented to you the very power in Chu, as its side that came to me now."

When Houa not finished, but stopped speaking, she was not a magnificent ruler, but a young woman, shy and unsure in herself, who just explained to an elder something that flies from her and her words.

And when she mentioned Li Tou, maybe something in memories of the hosts could spark as one young warrior thatt met two travelers from the West once, long ago

…And this is what could be, possibly, said by Houa later, after, maybe, more talks on many things…

"You raised several very important questions. One is the question of Small Seal Script, it really requires to speak more about it.

The other question is the question of rites and power.
You noticed that we speak a lot about strength, that we put strength before power.

We, Jiuli, did not rise as friends of the Han, and the line followed by Han for generations leaves little to wonder why. Yet we did not start the great turmoil, and, once we established in Jing, Han, the Dynasty of Han, was not our enemy anymore. We did not seek to be recognized by it, we, really, did not care, but, since you return from your long-long journey, and since I heard from Li Tou about you, I seeked for your opinion and recognition. Why Shang Yong had to stand between us is one more question, yet I heard that scholars say that matters of the state are to come prior to our own matters, so let's put it now first. I spoke with many scholars educated in Han tradition. I am in no way a scholar in this sense, I barely learned to read and write, but it turned that I had to get ahead of strength, and I had to think again and again. I barely can, but a path of the state demands me to speak about Han as a about a state, a powerful state that can teach us, teach us with what was good with it as a state, and what was not. All the time my father and the father of my father lived, The Han world was in a chaos, and it came from inside the Han. From the very point of Han world, something was wrong within it. What could it be? Scholars argue, but something came to me once. Maybe I am wrong and I simply know little, but the question is too important to not look at it.

It can be remembered that the end of Qing, not the Qing of Chen Wei, but the Qing that was before, was its victory. After its victory, after it conquered all kingdoms of the Plains, after it destroyed walls between kingdoms, after it worked hard to destroy differences between kingdoms, after it nearly destroyed languages of people and kingdoms, it lasted less than a generation. The first sign of its weakness was its end.
After great wars, great disasters, great fights within, great betrayals, after it Han was established. It knew terrible times. It knew wars within that were unknown to the time of many kingdoms, once it knew a greatest war within, maybe one harsher than our fathers knew. It knew weaknesses of rulers and struggle of houses that wished to influence rulers. It knew harsh laws and harsher implementations. When those Yellow Turbans at Far North called for a new era who joined them and made the great turmoil for the Han? The people of Han did. Was it because they were tricked? Rather because their life was bad, very bad. Because their life already was not stable, and they were ready to leave it behind for some hope, for some dream. The Han responded with great harshness and cruelty. Cruelty brought cruelty. Vengeance brought vengeance.

Why Qing lasted for so long before it united everyone, why Han, not once, suffered turmoil unknown to previous times? Maybe because turmoil in a land that is called united, that accepts orders from one very distant Capital, increases so much easier?!"

For almost a minute the seer walked in the room, excited, before she continued.

"Why victorious Han lasted longer than victorious Qing? Because other than oppression and betrayals, it had some support. The strength of the land supported it for long.

One family, one village has little strength, though usually enough to live when they live a quiet life and when other people don't turn against them. When people don't turn against each other at all, and when people simply live as they live this little strength is enough.
When people seek to change the very Rivers and to maintain the changes, great strength is needed.

Strength is something that exists. It exists in nature, it exists in people. A leader ahead, a leading tribe, a leading kingdom is strong because of support of this strength. It is possible to be strong in the centre because of trying to destroy any strength that can rival. It is what Qing did, it is, let's face it, what Han did, with lands, with its heroes, with its own heroes, from its very beginning, what happened to them? Maybe it was hard to do otherwise, and maybe because Han had but little strength.

Establishing a large kingdom, a really large kingdom is possible when the strength of support is strong, when the strength of people is strong. And establishing a very large kingdom is not the way that ends every difficulty. It diminishes some, it makes some.
Kingdoms have inner strength. They manifest certain strength in the time when they appear, or they would not appear; and then this strength increases from strength of people increasing together, supporting each other, or it diminishes.

We can look at Qing of Chen Wei. At its beginning it struggled in a deadly, almost impossible struggle. This struggle made it strong, in all senses. Then its strength increased, increased and increased until it earned more lands than it had strength.
Maybe it was when Chen Wei attacked Luo Yang, for the first time he made himself a weakness, a place that, for Chen Wei, is very bad to abandon and very hard to defend. It costed Chen Wei completeness of his victories at the South.
The battle of Shang Yong did not crush Chen Wei's power, but it crushed Chen Wei's strength. It was the first time when Chen Wei clearly failed what he tried. Then it would be again and again, yet it was the first time. Later Chen Wei turned against Zi Tong and conquered some of the South – too late, and too little for Chen Wei, even longer borders, even larger distance from his North and South. He has strength, yet since Luo Yang, in his wish to make a Han with him ahead of it, he started to fight a war against himself, as many rulers do.

Earlier the strength of Li Jun increased and declined.

The strength of Chu-Jiuli increases slowly, very slowly, yet it is always on the rise. There was struggle of everyone non-Han against everyone Han, yet it was in the very beginning. Soon there were people of Han, there were people of non-Han, there were people of Jiuli, and, in these lands, there was the legacy of one of great kingdoms of the past, the legacy of Chu. Chu was one of great kingdoms within zhuhou made by Zhou, yet Chu was not exactly a kingdom of the Plains – as Wu and Yue were not, and Qing was not too, but maybe some more. People of Chu, can, at times, be called people of Han, many came from the North, yet still, here, names start to mean a lot…"

More time in this or that could pass

"Small seal script. It is important. Lady Mi, when you urged me to keep small seal script, I did not answer to it at, now I should. No, I don't agree with you that my duty is to keep it and establish it. It is Qing writing later adopted by Han empire. I am neither one nor the other.

I had to learn it, but it should not be the basis for signs of Jiuli. Jiuli struggled and won not for it, and applying small seal script would be so wrong. Signs of Chu though, of language of Kingdom of Chu – different from languages of Zhou that, in Chu, were called Chi – are a good choice. They would unite Jiuli and Chu further. This would distinguish Chu and Qing further. In Zhou times people of kingdom of Chu knew both Chu and Chi languages.

Let small seal script be for everything it's needed, let official lettering be in it when it is most widely known, but there is a hard but steady task – write down the language of Jiuli and revive the language of Chu. First the language of Chu can be only a language of books – not all books, I don't and I wouldn't fight with books as Qing once did - but language of some books and ceremonies, language that appears in names, language of glory, of something important. Similarity in signs of Chu and Jiuli would make learning both easier, and easier to happen together. May be in it languages of Chu and Jiuli would influence each other, let it be – the ancient language of Chu does not rival Jiuli – the script of Qing does. And as in arms Jiuli and Chu could learn, and learn to add the art and the tricks they faced to stories from their legends, to knowledge they passed in generations – so they would in words and scripts. Slowly, with all flowers flowering, open to different but not submitting to it.

In years when ceremonies are held in Qi and Later Song, they are held in Chi, in the year when they are held in Chu, they are held in Chu.

It is a challenge, not the first and not the last, but only in this, I believe, I or whoever in my place can follow both the path of our forefathers, and the path that continues the peace built by kings of Zhou. It is both new and it is old. Tradition changes and tradition stays the same. This is what happens, already, regardless of me – I had to start, now it continues. I believe that it is still a beginning, a beginning of much more that we don't envision now.

My first son's name is Nao – after my father. My second son's name is Utu – tiger in language of Chu. There would be many flowers, and let many flowers be.

Now, I am afraid we already took too much of your time. My the only excuses would be poor…"

if there was an answer and if there was anything more and anything more than words, who knows. Who knows if later the story was written by Mi Zun or Mi Jia, and what the great hopes grew into. Maybe everything this was written later and maybe it was a story that actually never happened – who knows if any name and any word was more than a legend… a legend to hate and fear, to admire and to praise, to retell and to inspire.

V3
Kun Tiao

Previous

Return to Role-play Forum