Skirmish Battle Thread

Re: Skirmish Battle Thread

Postby One Sun Mirror » 27 Jul 2018, 12:50

Will the others understand? Will they want to exact some kind of revenge? Jia thought to himself, bleary eyed, as he watched over the sleeping refugees. Noting that there were indeed women and children among them, he felt reassured that his gut-instinct had been right; these were no hidden warriors. But after what Ma Kan and Bao may have suffered, they may well see things differently.

He knew some of the soldiers around him wondered why he had not set out himself. But if he did, the camp would be without a leader, the village without significant protection, their supplies in danger of capture... his place was surely here. He wondered to himself whether Shi Xiang had found a safe place to hold up for the night. He had not seen her in the village as he had left, but she may well still be in there. Or had she braved the wilderness once more? He frowned at the barbs they had thrown at one another back in the village and hoped she was alright. They were on the same side after all, even if she was a little... scholarly.

He assumed that his companions, Ma Kan and Bao, had been able to look after themselves. Having seen them training and managing troops, he knew that if they had been in true danger, the message he had received would have been far more frantic. Still, this was not a situation he was used to being in charge of. He decided he would stay awake this time, to oversee the sleeping camp and be ready for any action as it was needed.

Firstly, he sent out his 10 auxiliaries as scouts around the camp and village area to ascertain any movement in these areas. "You are to remain hidden as best you can and at the first sign of movement, you are to flee back here and report to me," he instructed them. "You will travel in pairs, and report back here in two hours. If you do not return, I will assume the worst. This means, you must return unless you are unable." Jia notes that they nod gravely. He plots out a rough path for them on a rudimentary map. Thank goodness one of the others brought these along... who would have thought maps might be so useful?

After they had set out, he waited. And waited. And waited...
Gongsun Ji 83–55–75–17-77 Formation (e), Leader, Mobility, Raid, Scout

Skirmish Minigame
Liu Jia (162) 21, 60, 70, 80, 80 Aid, Articulate, Farmer, Logistics(e), Propaganda, Valor
说曹操,曹操到
One Sun Mirror
Experienced Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 27 Jul 2018, 13:08

The reinforcements quickly set to pacifyng the town. Most looter bands simply avoid combat and flee on sight of a superior force. After securing the village, you find the last of the looters boarding rafts with their loot and setting off south, down the river. While they are fleeing, they do not look too displeased, and a makeing mocking gestures towards you as they leave.

In the little actual fighting there was, the reinforcement infantry captures 3 rebels and kills 3 more and takes no casualties.

Final EXP for the night:

Shi Xiang: Battle, strategist EXP
Mao Ma Kan: Battle, normal EXP
Shang Bao: Battle, melee EXP, Half duel EXP
Liu Jia: Battle, support EXP

Shi Xiang's Troops: +10 training
The elite force taken to the village: +15 Training
Infantry initially left in the camp: +3 Training

Loot:
As per earlier explanation. Prisoners provide undamaged equipment, killed soldiers (yours or enemy) leave damaged equipment that needs repairs.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby thegrandmystic » 27 Jul 2018, 13:56

(Someone might want to check my math, but this is what I got:

From the dead on our side:

9 damaged basic infantry sets
2 injured horses
4 broken bows

Recovered from the rebel dead:

44 damaged basic infantry sets
12 broken bows

From the rebel captured:

16 basic infantry sets
6 bows

TOTAL:
53 damaged basic infantry sets
16 basic infantry sets
16 broken bows
6 bows
2 injured horses

If the initial refugee band doesn't count as having "arms" then instead should be 38 damaged and 9 intact infantry items.

Any chance we could get a per-unit or per-10-unit repair cost for each equipment item added to the Rules somewhere? Also we might need a moment to reassess our turn submissions based off the skirmish.)

"Looks like we're clear! Go assist with putting out the fires!" Bao directed a group of infantry as he and the clearance contingent make their way back to the village edge. One of the soldiers helping to treat the wounded attempted to look after his knife wound, but the warrior quickly waved him off. "There is no need, it is just a scratch that I can take care of on my own - the armor stopped the real damage for the most part. Go help that one over there," he said, gesturing to another nearby infantryman writhing on the ground in obvious pain. He wove his way past the rest of the soldiers in order to make his way to Mao in order to give his report.

"Master Mao, it looks like the village has been cleared, but of course there is extensive damage from the fire and some significant looting which occurred. The remaining rebels took to some rafts and appeared to be sailing south; it very well may be that the southern villages on our map are already in their hands. The threat stemming from the eastern river may be more significant than I realized." He paused for a moment, looking to his left and right at the injured soldiers as well as the ones that though uninjured appeared quite tired from the combination of battle and lack of sleep.

"They did well for being woken up so suddenly, but they'll need rest. I'm sure the villagers here could use some assistance in cleaning up the debris, burying the dead, and otherwise securing the area as well. We should meet up with Master Liu so that we might reconsider our plans for tomorrow."
Simzhou: Shang Bao (21), Youthful Imperial Officer Dueling Horsemans Guy!
Nephew to Shang Song (43), Imperial Court Minister Clerk Attendant Person of Some Kind!

75-82-70-31-62
Charge, Duelist, Scout, Trample, Valor, Weaponmaster
Golden Phoenix Band (now a cavalry sub-unit of the Bundle of Bamboo Sticks Patrol Force)
thegrandmystic
OOC Brigadier General

Postby Porcelain Cow » 27 Jul 2018, 14:54

@ShadInquis
Confirm for me then:
18 rebels killed
8 rebels captured

7 patrolmen killed
14 patrolmen wounded

25 broken weapons (from dead)
+8 whole weapons from prisoners (my wounded will keep theirs)

And you mentioned 31 basic weapons as "other loot" ?
They were carrying spare sets of weapons that could be used to arm further men already in place?
Skirmish Minigame
Shi Xiang (170)
76-45-80-65-60
Cunning(e), Scribe, Tactician, Wile
Troop Info
Porcelain Cow
Sidney Crosby

Postby ShadInquis » 27 Jul 2018, 15:10

thegrandmystic wrote:If the initial refugee band doesn't count as having "arms" then instead should be 38 damaged and 9 intact infantry items.
Any chance we could get a per-unit or per-10-unit repair cost for each equipment item added to the Rules somewhere? Also we might need a moment to reassess our turn submissions based off the skirmish.)

The band of "refugees" didn't have anything worth to be called "arms".
I have added the costs for gear repair.
Obviously you will have time to reassess your Day 3 plans.

Porcelain Cow wrote:And you mentioned 31 basic weapons as "other loot" ?
They were carrying spare sets of weapons that could be used to arm further men already in place?

These guys were running away, rather than retreating in order, so some of those fleeing dropped their weapons.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Rebel » 27 Jul 2018, 16:32

Mao Ma Kan was glad that Shang Bao was around. The young cavalier from Luo Yang showed far more calm and level-headedness than Ma Kan was capable of even now in his middle age.

"Yes Master Shang Bao. The soldiers did well despite the odds. So did you, especially with that duel. I am glad you were around. If it were up to me, I would have.."

I would have probably just razed this blasted village to the ground after being led here and attacked like that. He felt it was best not to give voice to his thoughts. He looked away and saw the river to the east where the enemy had fled.

"We might need boats if we are to follow them south."

When Shang Bao spoke of the dead Mao gave the newly arrived peasants orders to pick their own dead men who would be later buried at their camp as heroes.

"I think we are all set. Lead the way."

((Feel free to adjust the new troops information. I will use doctor for PT. Let me know if we are marching for day 3. Thanks))
Mao Ma Kan
80-60-70-60-65
Volley, Missile, Counter, Medic, Invent, Navy, Spy

Sun Xiang
Current Stats: 70-30-81-77-70
Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Previously: Huang Xiong (196, August) Styled: LiRen
Rebel
Middle Aged Officer

Postby thegrandmystic » 27 Jul 2018, 16:57

"He got away though - another good strong blow to the back and I think he would have dropped," Bao assessed of his performance before venting a bit on it by spitting on the ground. "Won't let them get away next time. Ah well... glad it pushed the troops into fighting harder and stronger at least." He turned to face the soldiers and whistled twice in short succession. "You all fought bravely, each and every one of you! Start getting everything together and make your way back to camp! Get what sleep you can, it's going to be a long day! I want a squadron patrolling between the two villages for the rest of the night, rotate off every hour - you see something, you sound the alarm!"

With those orders issued, he fetched for his horse to start the short journey back.

(I figure we either stay put for another day or shift over to the village at 218:238 where this portion of the skirmish took place to assist there. Focus on doctoring the troops, I have no need: 3% is nothing I can't deal with and could Rest away on my own later if it becomes a nuisance.)
Simzhou: Shang Bao (21), Youthful Imperial Officer Dueling Horsemans Guy!
Nephew to Shang Song (43), Imperial Court Minister Clerk Attendant Person of Some Kind!

75-82-70-31-62
Charge, Duelist, Scout, Trample, Valor, Weaponmaster
Golden Phoenix Band (now a cavalry sub-unit of the Bundle of Bamboo Sticks Patrol Force)
thegrandmystic
OOC Brigadier General

Postby UnholyBlade » 14 Aug 2018, 21:14

ShadInquis wrote:"Ha! This one is is brave. Let's see how long this lasts."

You see some of the enemy horsemen nock arrows to their bows, while the rest begin to approach at a growing pace.

Tactics to the battle thread

Dai Ren will lead the formation. 70 of his men will use standard arms, the remaining 30 will equip bows and remain behind the main line of infantry. Dai Ren will attempt to initiate a duel against the enemy leader. If unsuccessful, or if defeated, the archers will open up with Volley (If possible, since Dai Ren will be focused on fighting with infantry) and attempt to avoid friendly fire when combat is joined. The camp followers will attempt to hide until combat is resolved. If the enemy retreats, the army will not pursue and will consolidate resources and casualties.

Did you want duel tactics as well?
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
Counter, Fortunate, Leader(e), Loyalty, Reversal, Volley
If you need me, PM is the best way
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Granseal

Postby ShadInquis » 14 Aug 2018, 23:11

No duel tactics needed yet. Though a duel may occur as the battle unfolds.

What's your command style? From your wording I assume front line. Your archers will be able to fire Volley, but it will be somewhat less effective since you are leading the infantry.

Camp followers are assumed to be safely behind your lines by default.
Given that the enemy is cavalry and you are not, you are automatically unable to pursue.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 15 Aug 2018, 00:47

Aye. Frontline command style. Attempt to duel the commander.
Movement - Hold position. Let the cavalry close the distance and brace for initial impact. Once contact is made have rear infantry lines attempt to swarm cavalry to while front line concentrates on combat. Archers will focus on the charging cavalry first, then once battle is assumed they will be on lookout for any riders with bows who may be riding around. Next priority is then the retreating riders once they have cleared the battle zone.
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby ShadInquis » 15 Aug 2018, 08:15

Round 1

Archers use Volley with moderate success. Rebel Horse archers (2 killed, 4 wounded), Rebel Cavalry (1 killed, 2 wounded).
Infantry holds (small defence bonus).
The Horse archers shoot at your Infantry (1 killed, 3 wounded).
Qin Yi attacks with his cavalry against your infantry in a very equal and close fight. Cavalry (5 killed, 4 wounded), Infantry (5 killed, 4 wounded).

Round 2
Archers hold due to lack of targets to shoot without risk of friendly fire.
Infantry fights. Cavalry (3 killed, 3 wounded). Infantry (2 killed, 6 wounded).
The Horse archers hold for the same reason as your archers
Qin Yi disengages.

"Not bad, you pass. You aren't just a peasant after all. The King will be pleased. Do not worry, I will be back very shortly."

Qin Yi's small force begins to fall back. Having no cavalry, you are unable to pursue. Shortly after, you seen an orange-coloured smoke rising in the distance where Qin Yi went.

What do you want to do?
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 15 Aug 2018, 08:45

Any estimation of the numbers he had left after the battle? What direction is the smoke coming from?
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby ShadInquis » 15 Aug 2018, 08:52

UnholyBlade wrote:Any estimation of the numbers he had left after the battle? What direction is the smoke coming from?

Well, you can count the numbers of the dead (11 enemies total). But it's clear this wasn't a full-on battle.

Smoke is from the west.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 15 Aug 2018, 09:15

Is it close enough for Dai Ren to ride to and investigate while his troops recover and regroup? If so, lets do that. If not, organize the wounded and prepare to march after attending to the dead. If it's not, is Dai Ren able to tell if its from the village or not?
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby ShadInquis » 15 Aug 2018, 11:29

It's far too small to be a village. And the colour of the smoke is off. With your military background, you can make a reasonable guess that it's some signal. You could ride alone or march there with your troop.

Although the enemies tried to take some of the horses from their fallen riders, and some horses were so killed with their riders, you capture 4 horses, 2 of them in good health.

The rest of the loot is a per previously established rules: killed soldiers (yours or enemy) give you damaged gear (regular horsemen have normal weapons, horse archers drop bows).

You also gain 20 rations from the horses that were killed, if you stay camped in the area.
Last edited by ShadInquis on 15 Aug 2018, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Simzhou