Simzhou Skirmish Roleplay

Re: Simzhou Skirmish Roleplay

Postby Rebel » 21 Aug 2018, 14:01

thegrandmystic wrote:"If we can spin up another trained unit of infantry in short order from the reserves, then I will have no issue leading them until some more horses can be corralled or procured. The auxiliaries should remain as the dutiful camp followers they are rather than put a sword in their hands - I think Master Liu will have suggestions as to how we can maximize them all things considered."

"Yes, my thoughts exactly." Said MMK as the soldiers sprang out from their ambush. Since he knew that they were undergoing training to help Shang Bao learn the skill, he wasn't surprised as much from their sudden appearance. At least the younger officer had found something to keep himself occupied.

He looked at Liu Jia, their third companion who seemed to be lost in his own thoughts. He wondered if he should poke the man to wake him up.

"Umm.. Liu? Liu Jia? Do you have any ideas?"

((I don't think he's active right now))
Mao Ma Kan
80-60-70-60-65
Volley, Missile, Counter, Medic, Invent, Navy, Spy

Sun Xiang
Current Stats: 70-30-81-77-70
Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Previously: Huang Xiong (196, August) Styled: LiRen
Rebel
Middle Aged Officer

Postby One Sun Mirror » 23 Aug 2018, 22:42

@Rebel, thegrandmystic

Liu Jia perked up at mention of his name. He had been lost in thought, possibly overwhelmed by the gravity of his promotion in the response to his report. He had wanted to hear his two more military-minded companions discuss at length before offering his own thoughts, not wanting to entirely trust his own intuition on a subject he had little previous experience with before opening his mouth.

"Given that you drove off the raiding party to these villages, I would agree that they are safe for now. I do wonder whether enemy forces may have gotten some measure of us from the fight and may return in earnest eventually though," he pondered, scratching at his chin. "While I will take your word for it that the forests nearby do give you an eerie feeling Bao, I wonder whether our troop is well-equipped for such a direct sweep of that dense wood? Our few horses and archers would surely not fare well if a sudden fight came upon us in the trees, and we don't really know what's in there. I would certainly feel ill-at-ease marching our force in there unprepared... I wonder if there is a different approach that might be taken? I have heard rumours of a payment for wandering the forests. Perhaps we could get some sense of what's in there before we go charging in? Of course, if you gentlemen have made up your mind, I will acquiesce and support you as best I can."

"Were it up to me, I would make a slow arc around the southern edge of the forest, giving our troops some time to further train. We cannot afford regrets in the midst of a battle in so dense a forest. One of us could scout out some of the outskirts of the forest while another takes the horses on a longer loop to scour the banks of the river for signs of raiders. This way we cover a wide area and may gain a better picture of what is happening to the south. It also gives us more time to further train our troops. We may even get some idea of what's on the far side of the forest at the moment, which I believe is vital before trying to operate within it. I understand that this approach is not perhaps as direct as you fellows might prefer, and should you still wish to go a-foresting... I shall give you my best."

The farmer then pulled out Li Sheng's missive and gestured towards the first paragraph. "It would appear to me at least that Commander Li has taken an interest in matters south of the city, as per the raiders you fought off. It is in part this that guides my thinking on taking a more middling route. That, as well as the final line."
Gongsun Ji 83–55–75–17-77 Formation (e), Leader, Mobility, Raid, Scout

Skirmish Minigame
Liu Jia (162) 21, 60, 70, 80, 80 Aid, Articulate, Farmer, Logistics(e), Propaganda, Valor
说曹操,曹操到
One Sun Mirror
Experienced Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 24 Aug 2018, 18:33

@ Porcelain Cow.

Li Sheng looks over the long report before responding.

Yes, the report of bandits is concenring. Still, it is interesting that these outlaws were relatively passive until now. They stayed within the forest. Even in this latest incident, we have no proof of their direct involvement. Unfortunately, the records of the past administration are very fragmented on the matter, perhaps intentionally so. We still have no real intel on their size, organistion, or even the circumstances regarding their appeance. Was the past administration really that incompetent? We need to investigate further.

I have already received the report regarding the complex ambush by captain Liu Jia. I can see from your report that he was accurate, and as I said to in a message to him, I do agree that this threat must be eliminated, but so far were don't even know the name of the mastermind, let alone their base of operation, strength, equipement or subordinates.

As for your requests. While I agree tht the forst must be cleared, I do not think an expedition into the forest is acceptable at this point. Without knowing the strength, fortifications, or positions of the enemy, there is high chance that an expedition will take heavy losses, as the forest will grant advatage to the defenders who know the terain. Wan has a small garrison and these losses could shatter the troops' morale. We need to know what we are facing before commiting manpower. The same applies to Heavy Arms. They are in very short supply and city armories were almost empty until limited production started recently. Just like manpower, we cannot allocte them without at least knowing enemy strength.

The second request is equally difficult. I believe you underestimate the sheer amount of work and engineering experise it would take to fully block a river, especially against proper military ships. The other, even bigger problem, is that we are not sure that the west is entirely safe. Another volunteer force, led by captain Dai Ren has gone to scout the west, but the short report by a couple of wounded messengers indicates he ran into mounted enemies. So far we do not know how extensive the enemy presence is. Though if you want to reinforce him, I could tell you his last known position.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Porcelain Cow » 24 Aug 2018, 18:41

"I had plans to learn the name of their leader from my prisoners and send one of them off with a message for him, then have him trailed to determine their heading. Unfortunately all we have captured is riff-raff, though they are of the rebel forces, not mere bandits. If you wish to press them for information, you are more than welcome, I am not an interrogator by trade. Even the lowliest grunt must make camp and be fed somewhere, so we might have some insight into locations and numbers after all.

As for how to proceed.... in regards to the forest I rather fear for any scouting party safety, considering the enemy has quite consolidated all the advantage, and what they might not know about the terrain, by now the bandits surely do, having made the forest their home for so long. It may seem like brute force, but marching in as heavily armed as possible to weather whatever may wait there is my best guess at this time. If that is out of the question, enlighten me perhaps on the other operations in need of attention? I notice that you have remained here, as has most of the guard, all this time, and I suspect you would not do so if there were not things of need and merit to be accomplished here."
Skirmish Minigame
Shi Xiang (170)
76-45-80-65-60
Cunning(e), Scribe, Tactician, Wile
Troop Info
Porcelain Cow
Sidney Crosby

Postby ShadInquis » 24 Aug 2018, 19:09

@PorcelainCow

If the current prisoners don't have the information, surely the obvious solution is to capture more or otherwise aquire more intel.

A large heavily armored force will be a prime target that would mobilise all the nearby enemies. One the other hand, a smaller force, especially one which employes stealth techniques could pass without much trouble.

For now your objective remains the same. Gather more intel on our enemies in whatever manner you see fit. Feel free to either operate alone or with any of the other volunteer forces. If we have intel, then we could talk about a expedition to suppress the scouted targets.

Yes, many officers remain in the city. The thousands new recruits need to be drafted, trained, equipped before them become soldiers. All of this requires many people. Perhaps, as the situation develops more more officers will join the volunteer forces to counter rebel patrols.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Porcelain Cow » 24 Aug 2018, 19:29

Xiang Shrugs. "You say you agree the forest must be cleared. There is no need for anything further then. If it must be cleared then what waits there does not matter, it will have to be dealt with no matter what, and tarrying only offers them more time to prepare now that they have suddenly encountered resistance to their endeavours and are no doubt aware of the attention they have caught and prisoners we've taken. If it must happen, it must." she closes with emphasis.

"If you are not as determined, then I suppose I will very much have to join you in the extended preparations within the city limits and tend to the training of my forces, as I doubt any of them have the training to perform what you ask and take on the forest in a small, isolated group to get you said information."
Skirmish Minigame
Shi Xiang (170)
76-45-80-65-60
Troop Info
Porcelain Cow
Sidney Crosby

Postby ShadInquis » 24 Aug 2018, 20:02

Yes, the forest must be cleared. But the forces we have are far from unlimited. If we take too many casualties, this local victory could only be a path to defeat in the long run.

How many forces should we send to clear the forest? 200? 500? or maybe 5,000? Do you know? Without knowing how strong the enemy is, we could either be wasting resources by sending too many, or sending men to their deaths by sending too few.

Rushing ahead with full force into the unknown isn't being determined, it's reckless. Many a times in history, commanders wasted lives of thousands of soldiers rushing in without a second thought.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Porcelain Cow » 25 Aug 2018, 13:56

"The predicament we face is that, as the forest must indeed be cleared, if we do not, there is no further effort to conserve troops and resources for - Wan will have fallen long before the inevitable siege is laid to the gates, without the food of the villages to support it. Wan may be swelling with the troops we did not send there, then, but what can they accomplish, with nothing left? I understand your position, but one who only offers reaction to their enemies moves allows their enemy to control them. We must, at some point, take action of our own, that is not long predicted by them. Perhaps the question thus becomes not how much is appropriate to send, but how important the forest is, how many is it worth sending?

It is not an enviable position. What may be spend today, might come to end us later, yet in the same way, what we fail to accomplish today, may grow to be our doom. The thought to find information to aid in these decisions is obvious, but it continues to put us on the backfoot against the enemy. There must be something we can do they do not expect by now, something to foul up their schemes. I shall have to think on that and return. Though it is unlikely to be of less bold a nature."
Skirmish Minigame
Shi Xiang (170)
76-45-80-65-60
Troop Info
Porcelain Cow
Sidney Crosby

Postby ShadInquis » 25 Aug 2018, 15:08

"I have already said everything there is to say on the matter.

You will be contacted lated today with the reward for your achievement in the past five days."
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Porcelain Cow » 28 Aug 2018, 21:18

The next day, after settling the affairs of her troop in Wan, sorting out the training and new supplies, Xiang and a handful of auxiliaries return to Li Sheng with a handful of papers and maps. Xiang bows and sets them on a nearby table, then begins.

"I have thought on how to get the information you want - and possibly more - in a way that is both expedite and will hopefully for once not have us on the backfoot for the enemy to take advantage of. It is, as promised, no less bold, though I believe much more agreeable to you." Xiang shuffles closer conspiratorially.

"I shall allow myself to be captured by the enemy. Specifically, a couple of my men here shall pretend to have mutinied and taken me hostage, and bring me toward the forests, to themselves join the bandits, offering me as a prize. There I expect, - or shall make overtures to ensure - they will seek to ransom me back, seeing how they seem motivated by financial gain. This will however put me in a location where I and my men will have insight into the enemy presence. Indeed, we can use the fact that the Rebel forces are so tightly entwined with the bandits to our advantage, not just by gaining this kind of entry, but perhaps I may be able to create some discontent between the two forces, seeing as how the Rebels might be interested in me for the intelligence on Wan I could provide, yet I will make sure to be handed to the bandits. Maybe other fires can be stoked there, aswell, in regards to what is being done to the villages, or other disparities between the forces. I shall have to see, but at the very least we will finally have access to the enemy."

"As for communication.... my men will, - hopefully, as they are joining the bandits and not the apparently rather organized rebels - have some room to move about after having captured me as a show of loyalty. I intend to have them leave message dead drops on the forest outskirts for my other men who will remain in Wan to pick up and take to you to facilitate communication and to bring you the intelligence on enemy numbers and armaments you desire. Should this fail I suggest if a ransom note arrives you ask for a personal communication from me to prove my well-being. I shall have to keep my response in code, so let us say you should expect about 200 men for each color I mention in any such correspondence."

"I expect that once you have the necessary intelligence, I shall be retrieved from captivity in one of the ensuing raids. We may wish to consider how to establish greater credibility of said mutiny perhaps, through rumours or other public information, though at the same time you may need to put on airs to suggest a ransom is possible. What do you think?"
Skirmish Minigame
Shi Xiang (170)
76-45-80-65-60
Troop Info
Porcelain Cow
Sidney Crosby

Postby ShadInquis » 29 Aug 2018, 06:49

"I would say you make a lot of assumptions and put yourself at great risk.

First, you are assuming that you will be taken hostage. If their hate towards city officials is great, you may be executed on the spot. You assume you will be taken to the heart of the enemy camp and have a chance to influence the enemy. You may be simply taken to a holding cell and stay there. You assume the bandits are stupid and your two soldiers make for excellent spies and your story will be believed. If you were outed as a spy, you would certainly die in a most unpleasant fashion. Even if they do believe your story, you may still be... interrogated over whatever intel you may possess as a troop leader.

Are you sure you want to do something like this?"
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 29 Aug 2018, 11:48

Shad Daddy wrote:Patrol Force: Emperor's Aegis
At dawn, you are woken by the lookouts. They point to a cloud coming from the west, which you identify as a significant cavalry force, outnumbering yours by a large margin. At the right of the formation, you can see glints of metal, indicating a more heavily armored troop. The morning sun illuminates the banners of the troop, but it is still a bit far to make out the words. The troop is in no particular hurry, but they are clearly advancing towards you.

Dai Ren awoke immediately as the cries began ringing out. He was a light sleeper during the best of times, but being outnumbered and hunted in the field made true rest near impossible. Dressed in only his trousers, he saw what the rest of his men could. It was too far to make out specifics, but it was impossible to miss the fact that these were columns and formations of troops. The sun rising from their backs glinted splendidly off of the heavy infantry marching in tandem with the cavalry. His estimations were off again it seemed.

Dai Ren ran back into his tent and began scrawling a message hurriedly. ORGNISED. HEVLY ARMED. SKILLD. DR. was all he had the patience to attempt. He was sure he made a mistake, but he pushed the thought out of his mind. He called his troops to formation in the camp, addressing the auxiliaries that had come as well. He put the scroll in the hands of the volunteer he designated as the leader.
"Get them home. Get this message to the military." The soldier stammered as Dai Ren pushed the scroll to him and continued, addressing the assembly. "Grab your weapons and your food, but leave everything else. Your mission now is to make it back to the city so you can tell everyone what we have seen. These men have forsaken the Han Dynasty and spat at the Emperor, and they come for us all. May the Emperor bless us all this day."

With that, Dai Ren turned on his heels and went back to his tent. It was always more difficult to get combat ready on your own, but those were the circumstances of the day. Slowly he managed on his greaves and his gauntlets, his breastplate, his tunic, and finally his helmet. As he stood alone in his tent, he closed his eyes. Around him he could hear the clamor of the goings on in his camp. Boots and feet hitting the ground, grunts and shouts as people got organized, but underneath it all he could hear what he himself felt. There was a panic. There was a frantic energy about. It was nerve racking, and Dai Ren could not blame them.

These men were volunteers. He had been apart of the committee that made the decision to hold the military back and use these men instead. Now, his entire troop was hours away from being cut to ribbons. These men answered the call, but they were not soldiers. Many had never held anything more dangerous than a hot cooking pot in their lives. Was this yet another miscalculation on his part? Lately it seemed that was the case more often than not.

He exhaled as he opened his eyes and strode out of his tent. He did not bother breaking it down, and he had seen that most of his soldiers hadn't bothered either. They were beginning to gather on the eastern edge of the encampment as he approached his horse. Dai Ren mounted, taking a second to chest his armor and his weapon once more while he eyed what his troops were doing. A few of them were looking towards him, some with confusion in their eyes. He held up an armored fist as he led his horse in a slow walk towards the enemy formation.
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
Counter, Fortunate, Leader(e), Loyalty, Reversal, Volley
If you need me, PM is the best way
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Granseal

Postby Porcelain Cow » 29 Aug 2018, 12:33

ShadInquis wrote:"I would say you make a lot of assumptions and put yourself at great risk.

First, you are assuming that you will be taken hostage. If their hate towards city officials is great, you may be executed on the spot. You assume you will be taken to the heart of the enemy camp and have a chance to influence the enemy. You may be simply taken to a holding cell and stay there. You assume the bandits are stupid and your two soldiers make for excellent spies and your story will be believed. If you were outed as a spy, you would certainly die in a most unpleasant fashion. Even if they do believe your story, you may still be... interrogated over whatever intel you may possess as a troop leader.

Are you sure you want to do something like this?"

"I find it no less assuming than to think that the men whose qualities of espionage you put into question here could perform much the same espionage in the way you suggested, by sending but a small force to spy on the forest. An even wilder assumption would be that the recent events have not put the bandits and rebels on a heightened state of alert and fortification, seeing how the bandits have been there for a long time without having faced opposition, surely reacting to this turn of events. Their hate for officials would strike anyone openly opposing them in a much swifter death sentence than those delivered with ideas of ransom in tow already, and were I captured in hostile action I would have no compatriots infiltrated within their ranks secretly on my side. As for influencing them... it seems the rebels have influenced the bandits quite handily with the lure of wealth, so a ransom seems rather fit to do so."

"Though perhaps the question is if you think we are on a course to victory as we are now? You could have sent a small scouting force weeks ago, and I hardly think untrained volunteers to send instead is what you were waiting for. Perhaps you needed someone free to do risky things you could not, someone more expendable to the city? I am growing rather confused on how serious you consider our situation and the need to deal with the forests and am all but ready to wash my hands of it entirely."
Skirmish Minigame
Shi Xiang (170)
76-45-80-65-60
Troop Info
Porcelain Cow
Sidney Crosby

Postby ShadInquis » 29 Aug 2018, 13:25

Li Sheng repons in a somewhat irritated voice.

"Well, it's your life you are risking. Feel free to proceed as you like.

You flatter me if you think I could have sent scouting foces weeks ago. I am not the city lord, I do not have that authority. The city has only introduced the new administration a couple of months ago, and in that time there has hardly been a day without some new problem. We have had the first clashes with the enemies merely a month ago, and then we had to deal with a major riot within the city.

Before you go, I will tell you a story. I have heard it from a small group near the southern gate who are now employed at the garrison. It seems there was a keen individual a few months ago in the city, who felt that the administration was taking too long and he took matters into his own hands. He prepared a daring plan to capture an enemy officer while the rest of the officials sat and argued. The man prepared carefully to ambush the enemy and then set out. And then he never came back and was never heard from again. That's the end of the story. I hope you enjoyed it."

(OOC: ...)
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 31 Aug 2018, 10:50

Dai Ren stands wearily, his sword pointed into the now soft red earth, his shoulders writhing as he breathes heavily. His body is awash of cuts over his arms and legs. Blood was staining his clothes and his armor, and each bead of sweat made the wounds sting like they were being branded onto him. Luckily, only the cut to his midsection seemed to be particularly debilitating. Each time he took a breath he could feel his midsection straining under the tension anew. This was going to be an injury he would need to take some time and some care to recover from. Such an injury was easily reopened, after all. He turned and surveyed his troops, and was dismayed.

Another round of fighting against better armed and better trained soldiers had led to this. His troops could've finished off Qin Yi's small force, possibly, but it was by their king's order the fighting had ceased. Now that the noise and exhilaration of battle had dissipated, the situation had been dawning on Dai Ren.

Such a small scouting force had decimated his soldiers, and the enemy had more troops than they could ever hope to fight off in such an open field. He knew he made the correct order for his troops to retreat, if it could be said there were even correct orders to be had in such a predicament, but with such a mobile force of cavalry at their heels they would never have gotten far. Perhaps his taunts had enticed the king to see a battle on equal footing, perhaps his earlier flair had been what made the king decide not to send his entire force to crush his bloodied band of peasants. Perhaps, but that was speculation for another time. Right now, Dai Ren had to continue his mission of getting his troops home and getting a report back to the administration.

"Gather up the wounded. Leave the dead, and the broken equipment. We must travel light before the Emperor's blessing leaves us." the young captain said stoically to his beleaguered troops. They needed direction now more than ever, lest they begin to break under the mental and physical stress of what they had endured thus far. Now was not the time for emotions to take over. As his unit begins to gather and organize a march eastward Dai Ren grabs a broken banner of Wan from a nearby corpse of and struggles onto his horse, wincing and groaning as he sits as erect as he can in his saddle at the rear of his column. He makes no efforts to yell across the vast distance of the plain at the insurgent king, instead trying to take in as many details about their formation and their numbers as he can.
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
Counter, Fortunate, Leader(e), Loyalty, Reversal, Volley
If you need me, PM is the best way
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Granseal

PreviousNext

Return to Simzhou