Spy mission RP and planning thread

Spy mission RP and planning thread

Postby ShadInquis » 25 Jul 2017, 19:24

The disturbance in the city did not come as a surprise to Li Sheng. He knew it. His suspicions were raised over one month ago, when a large number of troops deserted, supposedly offended by Dai Ren's speech. Of course this was nonsense. Troops don't just desert in such numbers when the city just won the first battle against the rebels. Obviously, this was the result of enemy covert activity. The suspicions were only further reinforced when the riots began. For a supposed popular discontent, the the number of troops lost to the riots was far grater than would be expected. Clearly, the rebels were at work, sabotaging city activities.

Unfortunately, the limited city resources did not allow for action until now. What measures were enacted, like a watchtower network, were clearly insufficient. Li Sheng's initial investigation also failed to yield any solid results. But now things were different. Considerable resources were now available as the city officials and officers raced to control the situation. To Li Sheng, the course of action was clear. Killing a mob of angry peasants was would not solve the problem. Nor would fighting the war of words.

Action had to be taken to strike at the source of the problem. Using his rank, Li Sheng had a couple of dozen men from his combat scouts earmarked for the mission to assist him. Going alone would be far too risky. In addition, Li Sheng called out to trustworthy talents in the city to join in this mission. With a skilled team, some the more daring plans would be possible and with them, much greater results.
A small building not far from the garrison was selected as a temporary base for planning this mission. Away from all the marching soldiers, but close enough to be safe from any rioting mobs, various supplies were moved. Now, Li Sheng waited for those he invited to arrive here.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Re: Spy mission RP and planning thread

Postby Bradums » 25 Jul 2017, 19:47

In short time, Zhou Liang arrived at the specified meeting location. A building he knew from memory after spending some time at the garrison as a 'guest speaker' of sorts. It was a smart location, placed near enough to be safe but distant enough to not draw too much attention. Something of strategic value, given the nature of what the group intended to accomplish...

Seeing the young intelligence officer, Li Sheng, Zhou Liang gave a polite bow. With the city in the state that it was, the young Zhou scion was wise enough to travel to the meeting in rather plain clothing. His hair was down and undressed and his clothes were plain and slightly dirty, making him look more like a bandit than a nobleman.

"Greeting, Master Li..." Liang spoke up, checking the interior of the building, "An appropriate choice of venue for this meeting. I commend your foresight. Hopefully the others arrive shortly, so we can begin. The longer this nonsense goes unresolved, the more vulnerable we are in the long run."

Sighing, he ran a hand through his long hair, lamenting, "In this case, violence will not be quelled by violence alone. Perhaps by discovering the true source of this unrest, we can cut it out...root and stem."
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby Rebel » 25 Jul 2017, 20:53

Sun Xiang arrived at the designated spot. He had never met the Li Sheng as far as he could remember. Perhaps he saw the man at the ceremony receiving his seal?

He examined the building standing before him. It was plain and unremarkable. Reminded Xiang of himself.

This was a secret spy mission. There must be a code or password. Xiang had no clue what it was. He knocked on the door three times and leaned in to whisper.

"Release the kraken?"
Mao Ma Kan
80-60-70-60-65
Volley, Missile, Counter, Medic, Invent, Navy, Spy

Sun Xiang
Current Stats: 70-30-81-77-70
Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Previously: Huang Xiong (196, August) Styled: LiRen
Rebel
Middle Aged Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 25 Jul 2017, 21:33

Li Sheng greeted Zhou Liang

Mater Liang, well met. I think we may have met before. It is great you were able to come. I hope today we will formulate the basic plan of action. I have some ideas, as I am sure you do, and I am sure will come to an agreement. One of our members may be getting delayed, but the other should be there shortly and we could begin.

Hearing the knock on the door, Li Sheng said: "That might be him"

Opening the door wide, Li Sheng said loudly with a broad smile:
Welcome friend! Don't be shy, there is plenty of beer for both of us!. After the door closed, Li Sheng clarified, still smiling : this a old house where old broken equipment from the garrison is dumped. Aside from some guards trying to get a drink in peace and scavenge some gear, no one would come here. There is no chance whatsoever of anything suspicious happening here. Hiding is in plain is easiest.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Sun Xin » 26 Jul 2017, 15:26

Xin walked the streets feeling more at ease with its people he needed a clear head for the meeting he was about to attend the closer he got the more apprehension was building "what am I thinking" as he head spun around and round he did not fit the look of a man for a spy mission but he hoped with his intelligence and charm he could be of some use to the warriors that would be there

upon arriving at the location he raised an arm and thought to himself "here goes nothing" he knocked on the door and waited to see who would answer since he knew all of two people in the officer corps
Xin(165)
20-20-80-70-90
Skills: Acumen, Charming(e), civil engineer, networking, wealth
Sun Xin
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby ShadInquis » 26 Jul 2017, 20:15

Li Sheng opened the door and recognised the man he caught a glimpse of during the first night's riot. Welcoming him in, he said to everyone:

Well, it appears everyone is gathered. There is tea over there in the corner. No wine, unfortunately, as we need to keep our heads clear. Have a drink, catch your breath, get your thoughts together and we can get started.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Sun Xin » 26 Jul 2017, 22:52

walking in the door he still felt out of place but he sat down with a cup of tea and after a few sips felt his head beginning to clear. He welcomed the tea for once he would not have to play at liking wine more just to "be one of the guys" he smiled at that thought and with that his normal demeanor seemed to set in as he made himself comfortable he brightened up then looking at the clothes of the others wondered if he should change for he was still in his formal robes

he introduced himself around the room with a handshake and a smile then relaxed and waited for whats next
Xin(165)
20-20-80-70-90
Sun Xin
Ranking Officer

Postby Bradums » 27 Jul 2017, 16:59

As the others arrived, Liang wandered the room, inspecting random items strewn about. His eyes constantly darted back to the door, as he was as close to on-edge as the abnormally calm young man could be. Normally, he'd be a little more reluctant to jump into danger...a little more assessment...maybe delegate some tasks to manage the issue. With the city in its second burgeoning riot in a short span of time, however, it was clear that there was some sort of subterfuge at work and it needed to be stopped as quickly as possible.

His father, clueless as he usually was, had no idea Liang had volunteered himself for this task. Of course, permission was more a measure of decorum than a necessity at this point. The younger Zhou held a place of honor alongside the Grand Administrator, and the disparity between father and son in terms of talent or intellect was...well, it was massive. If Liang deferred to his father's judgment in his affairs, it would be a tragic waste.

Almost subconsciously, the muscular Zhou felt within his shabby disguise for his concealed daggers. He was more accomplished with a sword or spear, but this task needed a little subtlety. Not many peasants wore quality forged steel in public, or own it at all. No, simple daggers would suit the task well enough if it came to violence and wouldn't raise any suspicions.

At the mention of wine being left out, Liang's thoughts returned to the meeting at hand and he laughed, replying openly, "If we all make it through this, I'll buy the wine afterward..."

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby ShadInquis » 27 Jul 2017, 18:05

OOC Summary post.
Part 1: The goals, the mission team, the items

The Goals:

From Li Sheng's point of view, there are 2 broad possible courses of action:
    1. Kidnap a VIP (enemy officer) and bring him back to Wan. An officer will doubtlessly have a fair amount of intel.
    2. Break in to rebel halls/offices and steal scrolls with orders, plans, rosters, whatever.
    3. A combination of both
The Team
Li Sheng 32-92*-80-31-60 Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
    Item: Sleeve Darts (War +1, Better consideration in plots)
Xin 20-20-80-70-90 Acumen, Charming(e), civil engineer, networking, wealth
Zhou Liang 30-80-70-71-70 Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
Sun Xiang 70-30-80-70-70 Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Troops:
20 soldiers from Li Sheng's Combat recon troop (Garrison troops (100 training) with Liu Shentong's permission)
Gold:
Note: For bribes, and other things which may come up in the plot. A common mission pot to avoid limiting character actions. Feel free to contribute. Unused gold will be returned back after plot is done

Total: 250
    Li Sheng (50)
    Zhou Liang (100)
    Xin (100)

Special items
Cai Bin's bait: A box tied with ribbon and sealed with the seal of Wan. Within the box is a fine quality silk scroll with a seemingly important message written and signed by Cai Bin. In reality, the message has no practical value to anyone, but the rebels do not know this.
Trade caravan: 2 carts of goods have been provided from... "third parties". The carts are of standard quality, one filled with hemp fabric, the other with other with pottery and other minor items. Various transaction and tariff receipts are also provided, stamped with a minor seal from the Economic office, proving that the caravan traded in Wan.

Li Sheng does not comment on how he aquired any of these things.
Last edited by ShadInquis on 23 Aug 2017, 08:57, edited 9 times in total.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Bradums » 27 Jul 2017, 19:08

OOC

I'd like to do both, honestly. Cover our bases. With Li Sheng's skillset, he might be best suited to infiltrating known hideouts or propaganda/rebel centers. Not only is he a ninja-esque spy in ability, he's arguably the best fighter in the group, so if something happened...he's most likely get out of it through the use of force or evasion.

Other than that, Liang is the only other qualified murdermachine, with the other two being fairly vulnerable in a plot to forcefully kidnap a rebel. Maybe Sun Xiang (spy!) can ascertain a target and a safe location to put him/her [Stealth, Wile, Spy], Liang (smart muscle!) can restrain him/her while possibly bailing anyone out of trouble [Duelist, Fortunate, Weaponmaster], and Xin (negotiator!) can interrogate him/her [Charming, Networking]! Stats and skills favor these roles, and working as a team would ensure the success rate and survivability of all three.

Bonus, maybe with a talented negotiator, we can skip the hassle and talk us up a defector/turncoat? Just my two cents. I'm up for whatever. As far as I'm concerned, Shad's the lead on this one.

Also...I'll put 100g in the pot. IC'ly, that's why my PC keeps his gold handy. He's from one of Wan's wealthiest families, and he's a team player, so while his dad hoards it, he tries to use it for the defense of the city. Maybe it'll grease up a turncoat?

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby ShadInquis » 27 Jul 2017, 20:38

OOC
Your ideas more or less go along the same lines as what I was thinking. Fighters fight, negotiator bribes/talks, spy spies. Since we have a Charming(e) person, I was wondering if we could do things like try to bribe guards to let us through a back door for stealing stuff, and perhaps have Li Sheng/Sun Xiang sneak in.

For kidnapping/capture officer, my rough idea was to use the Cai Bin's box as bait (again, leaving initial negotiations to Xin) to to convince an officer that we have more to sell, and get them to come to a more secluded location, perhaps even out of the city, to "buy more things like that". Li Sheng and Zhou Liang alone could probably take out the guards alone, and if we have a couple of our guards, I think should be straightforward.

So the basic plan becomes:
    1. Get into the city. Could just bribe guards, but perhaps a "legitimate" cover would be better. Maybe pretend to be "refugees fleeing from the evil Liu Shentong and his psychopath captain"? Leave negotiation/bribes to Xin (Li Sheng might as well pretend he is mute with his 31 Pol)
    2. Passive observation/preparation. Li Sheng/Sun Xiang use their spying skills to identify targets (either people or locations). Xin does the same with negotiation skills. Zhou Liang acts as bodyguard for Xin. Any troops we brought stay put in an inn (outside the town) .
    3.1 Preparations. If a suitable building is found, Li Sheng/Sun Xiang prepare to infiltrate it covertly at night. Sun Xiang tries to see if guards an be bribed/gifted wine to get drunk.
    3.2 Xin tries spins a tale about a fellow "refugee" having stolen items from Wan's main hall and seeing if they can be sold here, and uses Cai Bin's box as "proof". Convince an officer to go a secluded location outside the city for "negotiations". Zhou Liang acts as bodyguard for Xin.
    4. Execute the missions depending on availability. If both are possible, the officer kidnap takes priority, and Li Sheng will provide muscle there. Sun Xiang can either try the infiltration alone or assist the kidnap by directing guards with his 70 Lea and trying to cover tracks.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby Sun Xin » 28 Jul 2017, 02:20

OOC: Edit:also ill throw in 100 gold or I can buy an item for someone if we determine the added stats will help the group I have 250 from the wealth stat

I think these ideas are solid giving us plenty of room to work and actually have a favorable chance. however if coordinated I do believe we should be able to capture an officer as well as infiltrate the offices. if we were to draw the officer out then basically "kidnap" me and the officer or so it would seem to him till were all safe and im interaigating him. this would only take 2 people since I would not "resist" and could probably advise him that hes outmatched and that I might be able to talk our way out as long as he doesnt resist either. Also if we made this draw a little attention that would pull most guards and officers away from the offices allowing 1 more time to gather intell and 2 a safe way out. The down side could be if it draws too much attention it could get hairy really fast for the two officers that are kidnapping. All and all these are good options though
Xin(165)
20-20-80-70-90
Sun Xin
Ranking Officer

Postby Rebel » 28 Jul 2017, 20:43

ShadInquis wrote:Li Sheng greeted Zhou Liang

Hearing the knock on the door, Li Sheng said: "That might be him"

Opening the door wide, Li Sheng said loudly with a broad smile:
Welcome friend! Don't be shy, there is plenty of beer for both of us!. After the door closed, Li Sheng clarified, still smiling : this a old house where old broken equipment from the garrison is dumped. Aside from some guards trying to get a drink in peace and scavenge some gear, no one would come here. There is no chance whatsoever of anything suspicious happening here. Hiding is in plain is easiest.

Xiang proceeded to pour himself a mug of beer. A big mug. He nodded along to the suggestions everyone offered, sipping his ale with a big goofy smile. Zhou Liang and Li Sheng suggested that Sun Xiang could be tasked with identifying a target. Xiang placed his finished cup on the table.

"Let's go and kidnap Li Shixian."
Mao Ma Kan
80-60-70-60-65
Volley, Missile, Counter, Medic, Invent, Navy, Spy

Sun Xiang
Current Stats: 70-30-81-77-70
Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Previously: Huang Xiong (196, August) Styled: LiRen
Rebel
Middle Aged Officer

Postby Sun Xin » 29 Jul 2017, 02:15

Rebel wrote:
Xiang proceeded to pour himself a mug of beer. A big mug. He nodded along to the suggestions everyone offered, sipping his ale with a big goofy smile. Zhou Liang and Li Sheng suggested that Sun Xiang could be tasked with identifying a target. Xiang placed his finished cup on the table.

"Let's go and kidnap Li Shixian."

a wave of shock hit xin upon hearing the words "I am all for aiming high espically in the presence of such talented officers but that's a big target, Not saying it cant be done though, although if it could be then the rewards could be massive" xin retreated into his own mind to weight the possible outcomes of this bold plan
Xin(165)
20-20-80-70-90
Sun Xin
Ranking Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 30 Jul 2017, 11:23

Li Shixian? As bold as this is, it's not quite realistic. I do not think he would willingly go anywhere without a strong elite guard escort.

I say we stay flexible. See what opportunity presents itself and take it.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Next

Return to Simzhou