Intervene in the Riots - planning room

Re: Intervene in the Riots - planning room

Postby Dong Zhou » 20 Aug 2017, 08:10

Maybe keep Shentong away from trying to persuade as he is ruler?

Thanks Dong Zhou! Please go ahead share with us your officers and troop deployment plan.

Civil Office to Shentong and Huyan Lie , Office of Economic Development to Li Jun, Smithy to Dai Ren with troops split depending on what we have. Meixiu could get join whichever one she prefers
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 93*-66-70-30-60 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby WesternConqueror » 20 Aug 2017, 08:28

Dong Zhou wrote:Maybe keep Shentong away from trying to persuade as he is ruler?

Hmmm...I thought that having the Grand Administrator himself speak to the people, expressing understanding and empathy of their suffering and desires for justice, casting long term vision, making promises, and inviting the people to join in his vision...all these would count for something nobody else can provide. But yeah not sure if in pure game mechanics this would really make any difference at all.

Actually how much troops are we able to mobilize for this?

I'm assuming all troops are available to us for this plot since the other plots aren't happening at the same time. Or maybe the Grand Administrator gotta allot the troops for each plot.
Huyan Lie 70-30-90-42-69 Tactician, Formation(e), Wile, Terrain

***Intervene in the Riots plot***
Plot Thread
Tactics Discussion
Finalized Tactics

"Facing my wine,
I break into song,
How rare is this moment,
In a lifetime of sorrow!"
WesternConqueror
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: I stand alone

Postby Sir Ebrum » 23 Aug 2017, 00:17

Mat wrote:I need to ask Sir Ebrum what the ramifications of approval are. If it allows everyone to utilized troops then I'll be a bit choosier regarding who can participate. But if that's not an implication, I'd pretty much let everyone do it. I want you all to play your characters the way you'd like.
WesternConqueror wrote:Actually how much troops are we able to mobilize for this?
ShadInquis wrote:I have a suspicion that the rally choice might actually be a trap. Combat Rebel Propaganda requires the same skills, but more stats, so as a harder version, it probably has more impact (+it's a case of going after the root cause). Chen Ping obviously will be better off be better off at Rally, but Int/Pol/Cha officers might be better off in Combat Propaganda.

1. Liu Shentong and every officer with a military rank starts with 1(100) troops ready at hand, wherever you may be. Those with civilian ranks start with only "soft" power backing them up. Everybody else has only their personal arms and their wits. Liu Shentong's approval is required for this because there are too many ways to damage the city.
2. You (the city) have 61(100), 78(0) troops. The rest of the troops not mentioned above are scattered all over the city, as Wan lacks a barracks or centralized military complex.
3. "Rally the People!" is specific to Wan. "Combat Rebel Propaganda" is nationwide. This has implications for & synergy with "Work the Imperial Court".

I will post the intro soon (riots get posted first since this option had the most participation).
Sun Liren (54) ~ 55*-57*-81*-108*-107* ~
Acumen, Architect(e), Articulate, Charming, Farmer, Invent, Propaganda(e), Rally(e), Riot(e)

"By GM fiat, you are not allowed to perform that action. Your character's Wisdom score is too high."
Sir Ebrum
Dangerous Cartographer
Dangerous Cartographer

Kingdom: Team Green

Postby Dong Zhou » 23 Aug 2017, 05:54

Sit around and hope that the riots die down on their own.

Clearly what we should all do.

People's thoughts now we have idea of what we can do?

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Mat » 23 Aug 2017, 09:51

Here’s some bullet point thoughts. Let me know what you think of them.

- I think we should send runners to gather up troops in the northern section of the city and send them south to regroup with us. Since the riots are in the center, the troops should be able to reach us quite quickly without encountering much/any resistance.

- We can make good use of Huyan Lie’s Formation skill to assume a Block formation when engaging/interacting with the rioters, then switch to a Column formation when we need to move to another section of the city.

- Cai Bin can attempt to use Negotiator(e) to calm the crowds down. Once those swayed disperse, we can attempt to arrest/disperse the rest through nonlethal force, utilizing truncheons.

- I think it’s important to note from an RP perspective that nearly all of the officers involved with quelling the riot have made Wan their home for most/all of their lives. We should have a better idea of the layout of the city than might be typical, and have a better understanding of how to appeal to the people we’ve protected all these years. Just something to keep in mind.

- If the riot seems to have leaders we can attempt to deal with them specifically via Cai Bin’s Negotiator(e) or Liu Shentong and Ju-long Bai’s dueling abilities if they refuse to see reason. Cutting off the head of the snake could help disperse the rioters sooner.

- Protecting the grain supply is not a bad idea. I would suggest we simply send some troops there rather than take the lead ourselves, though. If we hear it’s being attacked then we can move to intercept. Alternatively, one officer could head there and bunker down just for the sake of safety.

- We distributed our bows in the last KT, so all of our armaments are already equipped by our soldiers. The rioters shouldn’t find much in the armory. While they could indeed arm themselves with basic weapons, I don’t think the armory should be an initial priority.

- Building barricades to block the civil office seems like a good idea. That appears to be the main target for the rioters, so perhaps it would be best if we gathered there, at least to start?

Thoughts? What do you all think we should do?
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby WesternConqueror » 23 Aug 2017, 16:08

Mat wrote:Here’s some bullet point thoughts. Let me know what you think of them.

- I think we should send runners to gather up troops in the northern section of the city and send them south to regroup with us. Since the riots are in the center, the troops should be able to reach us quite quickly without encountering much/any resistance.

Great idea! Would like to volunteer Ju-long Bai with his high LEAD score and Leader(e) skill. He can go around the city and rally as many troops as he can and bring back for riot control. And when he is back, he can also lead one of our units.

Mat wrote:- We can make good use of Huyan Lie’s Formation skill to assume a Block formation when engaging/interacting with the rioters, then switch to a Column formation when we need to move to another section of the city.

- Cai Bin can attempt to use Negotiator(e) to calm the crowds down. Once those swayed disperse, we can attempt to arrest/disperse the rest through nonlethal force, utilizing truncheons.

- I think it’s important to note from an RP perspective that nearly all of the officers involved with quelling the riot have made Wan their home for most/all of their lives. We should have a better idea of the layout of the city than might be typical, and have a better understanding of how to appeal to the people we’ve protected all these years. Just something to keep in mind.

- If the riot seems to have leaders we can attempt to deal with them specifically via Cai Bin’s Negotiator(e) or Liu Shentong and Ju-long Bai’s dueling abilities if they refuse to see reason. Cutting off the head of the snake could help disperse the rioters sooner.

I suggest this:
1. Lure all rioters before the Southern gate.
Lure the other 2 mobs to join the 1 mob directly before the Southern gate. Such that all rioters occupy that 1 square.
Huyan Lie can use his Wile skill.
Note that this luring doesn't need to begin with an attack on the mobs 1st. Huyan Lie can gather a small group of soldiers dressed as civilians and mix in with the rioters, then shout something like: "The Grand Administrator is at the South Gate!" And some other soldiers will shout: "Don't let him get away!" and "He must restore justice to us!" and other such words.

2. Hem the rioters in against the city gate and walls; block their way out.
Once the rioters are together in that single square, our various units close in and block the way out.
My suggested disposition:
- 1 unit shut the gates and hold it. This unit doesn't need one of us to lead them, coz they will just hold the gate and not attack.
- 4 units (Dai Ren, Jiang Mei Xiu, Li Jun, Ju-long Bai) each to occupy the 4 squares to the west, northwest, north, and northeast directions of the mob.

3. Persuade rioters to disperse.
Cai Bin stands safely on top of the South gate to address the rioters. Everything you have in your prepared speech Xu Yuan. The "Promise Pole" idea is applicable here. I don't know, but logically Liu Shentong being up here with Cai Bin would be of great help calming the people and greatly boosting the credibility of the promises.

4. Set free rioters who agree to back down.
For those rioters who agree to back down and go home, the western blocking unit can open a way to let them through.

5. Quell riot by force.
For the rioters who refuse, the forcible quelling and arrests can begin with all our units attacking.
Li Jun using Aid skill should enable us to make short work of the recalcitrant rioters.
Mat as per your suggestion, attack with truncheons instead of normal weapons. Note that these are fellow citizens of Wan we are dealing with - neighbors, friends, acquaintances, people we know.

6. Clear the streets and impose curfew.
For some time. So that nobody gets any bright ideas to try and create more trouble or to "avenge" the arrested, wounded or killed rioters.
Can be performed by any one of us with high LEAD score. Basically organize and lead troops to sweep and clear the streets, followed by patrol.

7. Provide humanitarian aid. For everyone.
Practical expression of government's sincere care for the citizens.
Medical care for the wounded. For the dead, respectful gathering up of bodies for families to collect.
Liu Shentong or Cai Bin declares city-wide mourning period. On final day leads city officials to hold a mass funeral for entire city. Everyone dead to be laid to rest with proper rites.

Mat wrote:- Protecting the grain supply is not a bad idea. I would suggest we simply send some troops there rather than take the lead ourselves, though. If we hear it’s being attacked then we can move to intercept. Alternatively, one officer could head there and bunker down just for the sake of safety.

- We distributed our bows in the last KT, so all of our armaments are already equipped by our soldiers. The rioters shouldn’t find much in the armory. While they could indeed arm themselves with basic weapons, I don’t think the armory should be an initial priority.

I agree with this Mat. The city granaries do need protecting. By sending a good-sized detachment but without one of us in charge.

Mat wrote:- Building barricades to block the civil office seems like a good idea. That appears to be the main target for the rioters, so perhaps it would be best if we gathered there, at least to start?

I don't know. Is the Civil Office located within one of the identified riot areas? If the Lure is successful, we would have drawn the mobs away.

Plot Thread
Tactics Discussion
Finalized Tactics

"Facing my wine,
I break into song,
How rare is this moment,
WesternConqueror
Ranking Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 23 Aug 2017, 17:24

Blunted/Nonlethal weapons is a great choice. I like the idea of a curfew as well. It'll keep civilians and noncombatants safe and hopefully weed out the less angry and less discontented from the streets, leaving only the bodies who are specifically intent on violence. Having a runner summon troops is definitely something we shouldn't scoff at, can't hurt to bolster our numbers. Who knows if 4(100) troops is going to be enough? Better to have more and not need it. We should send someone to gather troops from the north and eastern sections of the city, telling them to gather at the central structure/castle/thing and have someone organize reinforcements and deployments from there.

I especially like Western's suggestion of utilizing that promise pole ploy that DR veto'd some time ago, I think it could work, but in general providing humanitarian aid of any kind in the end would be well for us all to do. Taking gold is rough on the citizenry, but everyone needs to eat. Perhaps in addition to dispatching our medical corps and doctors, we can also divvy out some food from the granaries? If they survive :lol: Regarding this, We shouldn't leave our granaries exposed. They need to be guarded for sure.

Are we positive that our armaments are not being stored in the armory? It would be a huge financial waste to lose our weapons for no reason, but bringing them to bear against the rioters pretty much veto's our non-lethal options. I don't think we should neglect our armaments either, but now I'm worried trying to guard too many things will stretch our troops thin.

I like the plan to attempt to lure the riotous groups into one another, but, using the battle rules as a guide, the acting unit will attack one group, engage in combat, and if the ploy succeeds it'll move only that one group. I'm unsure if it'll be applicable to try and pull both groups to the south gate. We could instead consider Huyan Lie's unit using Trick instead to try and have the two groups of rioters that are closer to the civil office attack one another. Wouldn't that be something? Then we can have Li Jun's unit use her offensive skills to try and literally push the rioters out of the southern gate, removing them from the city.

Or We could try to Lure the southern group of rioters to the other two groups. It would pull the bottom group away from the gate, but that would leave Huyan Lie's unit exposed to three possible avenues to be attacked. 1(100) group of soldiers might not last too long depending on how big the riot is.
Dai Ren 87-74*-81-20-30
Counter, Fortunate, Leader(e), Loyalty, Reversal, Volley
Current RP - 0
If you need me, PM is the best way
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Granseal

Postby Xu Yuan » 23 Aug 2017, 23:02

These are some great suggestions all around. I believe WesternConqueror's plan to use our Promise Pole plot from the absolute safety atop the South Gate is a fantastic idea for Cai Bin. If the Grand Administrator could join him to have a greater impact on the situation, that too could help. However... that 30 Politics doesn't shine. Despite Liu Shentong's status he may inadvertently cause more harm than good (42 Politics seems to have wreaked enough havoc, hehe)

I do think UnholyBlade is right that the Rioters may count as units that cannot occupy more than one square, even if that is the case that they can all be pushed in front of the South Gate it seems poor military practice to trap the rioters with no place to go. It would cause them to fall into desperation and strike out in fear for their lives. I would suggest to surround them on three sides and allow them to flee on one side. To coerce them to flee after Cai Bin's actions would be somewhat hypocritical. If they leave of their own accord after Cai Bin's pronouncement from an already open path speaks better to the city's intentions I feel.

As noted Blunted weapons are a fantastic idea and shows the intention of the military response and of course the clean up of Humanitarian Aid and Ritual Importance is never a bad plan.

Should it also be possible to Negotiate with a leader of the Rioters that too might settle the situation.
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Gold: 4
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Han

Postby UnholyBlade » 24 Aug 2017, 00:27

Heres my thoughts so far, for the onset of these shenanigans. Just a rough draft, so comments and suggestions are sorely needed I'm sure.

Active Participants wrote: (Who, given their innate advantage of already having troops and knowing the locations of the rioters, will be engaged first.)

Liu Shentong ~ 72-92-60-30-60 ~ Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
Jiang Yan ~ 90-81-60-30-29 ~ Counter, Leader(e), Loyalty, Missile, Valor, Volley
Dai Ren ~ 87-72-81-20-30 ~ Counter, Fortunate, Leader(e), Loyalty, Reversal, Volley
Jiang Meixiu ~ 53*-82-60-51-81* ~ Articulate, Charming, Duelist(e), Raid, Stealth, Valour

Dai Ren 1(100) will guard and fortify the Civil Office, given his defensive skill set, and try to hold off engaging the first riotous group in combat. Who knows if it'll actually be any use, but there it is. We want to avoid wanton slaughter of the civilians if we can help it. I'd rather not see our PR get any worse.

Jiang Yan 1(100) will guard the granaries, we can't risk anything happening to our food, regardless of whatever the threat is. If there is a possibility of this riot being the result of an enemy ploy, we can't rule out the chance that our food stores could be a target. The possibility of a coordinated threat materializing around our food is too great a risk, however Jiang Yan will most likely require a chaperone of some kind to ensure he falls in line with whatever tactics we set. I'm open for suggestions, because I'm unsure if he should go alone. Who knows what shenanigans he could get into with all that flammable stuff just lying around... go off and do his own thing apparently :lol:

Liu Shentong 1(100) will be stationed in the central building/castle/stronghold/basement/command center. His unit will engage with the middle group of rioters, defensively if possible. Being in a central location also makes it easier for the Auxiliary forces to meet up with him and get orders to enter the fray properly.

Jiang Meixu 1(100) would engage the southern group of rioters. Preferably using her Articulate and Charming skills to possibly dissuade the mob from further action. If they don't disperse, a possible show of duelling prowess could make a bold enough statement, but I'd rather we all play defensively at the onset, keep risk of bodily harm as low as possible as long as possible :P

That brings me too......

Auxiliary Forces wrote: (Who, given that they know something's going on, but lack in troops or knowledge, will be coming as a part of a second wave)

*Cai Bin ~ 5-10-63-95-85 ~ Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Huyan Lie ~ 70-30-90-42-69 ~ Tactician, Formation(e), Wile, Terrain
Li Jun ~ 93*-65-70-30-60 ~ Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence
Ju-long Bai ~ 88*-81-61-10-60 ~ Breeder, Duelist, Leader(e), Loyalty, Raid

Cai Bin gets an asterisk because he knows whats going on and where, but he has no troops to act. He gets the option of linking up with Liu Shentong's unit to try and dissuade the rioters close to home base through eloquence and negotiation, or with . . .

Huyan Lie! As per the previous RP involving the riot, he wants to try his promise pole ploy. His lack of skills and Pol could present a problem, but if he is merged with Liu Shentong and Cai Bin it could be done with what I see as maximum effectiveness. Another avenue is, as I said in a different post somewhere, his Wile skill gives us access to use the tactics Lure and/or Trick, in which we could Lure one unit away from its current position, or Trick two groups of rioters into attacking one another. There isn't anything saying he can't do both, but there may not be enough time to implement too many ploys. Being stacked up with Cai Bin and Liu Shentong gives him both a unit and the stats and skills to pull these off, if we can double up in such a way.

Li Jun, though she is currently with the gathered group, has no troops of her own. DZ has already said that Li Jun would be reporting to Liu Shentong for orders, and could be used to gather additional scattered troops and form her own unit or bolster that of the existing ones. The north is clear, and the east is clear, and I would say she begin sending patrols out to gather the scattered forces into a central location.

Ju-long Bai has been RP'd as Jiang Meixu's faithful adherent thus far, and wouldn't make sense RP-wise for him to do anything that puts him any sort of distance from her. He would most likely seek her out and join with her unit engaged with the southern group. The only problem I see with this is that neither Achira, nor the Jiang siblings, have RP'd him as currently being with the group. Depending on how merciless/merciful the staff gods are feeling, he might be given leave to start with her, or might have to spend an action regrouping with her.
Dai Ren 87-74*-81-20-30
Current RP - 0
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby cjh1k2004 » 24 Aug 2017, 01:07

UnholyBlade wrote:Jiang Yan 1(100) will guard the granaries, we can't risk anything happening to our food, regardless of whatever the threat is. If there is a possibility of this riot being the result of an enemy ploy, we can't rule out the chance that our food stores could be a target. The possibility of a coordinated threat materializing around our food is too great a risk, however Jiang Yan will most likely require a chaperone of some kind to ensure he falls in line with whatever tactics we set. I'm open for suggestions, because I'm unsure if he should go alone. Who knows what shenanigans he could get into with all that flammable stuff just lying around... go off and do his own thing apparently :lol:

This is correct. :P

That being said, if after the first turn the mob goes after the granaries or any other important building, sending a message to Jiang Yan should get him to divert his ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK instincts to the invading mob!

In the first place, though, where *are* the important buildings on the map? It's not entirely clear where we start from and what buildings are represented on the tile. If the map were more fully labelled I could send Jiang Yan somewhere more, uh, useful. RP it as something like "rioters are here, go here!" to him, or something like that.
Jiang Yan V6 Pregame (21)
90-81-60-30-29
Counter, Leader(e), Loyalty, Missile, Valor, Volley
Head of Internal Security (Military Rank 1)
Co-starring the two little sisters Jiang Liyan (shared with Kun Tiao) and Jiang Meixiu (played by Kun Tiao)!
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Miao! And now Wan!

Postby UnholyBlade » 24 Aug 2017, 01:29

I'm unsure if we as players know where they are, but I think our characters would have a realistic idea of where they are? Maybe every building on the map is a resource/building? I think it stands to reason that our characters are more knowledgeable about the logistics of the city than we are.
Dai Ren 87-74*-81-20-30
Current RP - 0
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby WesternConqueror » 24 Aug 2017, 03:16

UnholyBlade wrote:I like the plan to attempt to lure the riotous groups into one another, but, using the battle rules as a guide, the acting unit will attack one group, engage in combat, and if the ploy succeeds it'll move only that one group. I'm unsure if it'll be applicable to try and pull both groups to the south gate. We could instead consider Huyan Lie's unit using Trick instead to try and have the two groups of rioters that are closer to the civil office attack one another. Wouldn't that be something? Then we can have Li Jun's unit use her offensive skills to try and literally push the rioters out of the southern gate, removing them from the city.

Or We could try to Lure the southern group of rioters to the other two groups. It would pull the bottom group away from the gate, but that would leave Huyan Lie's unit exposed to three possible avenues to be attacked. 1(100) group of soldiers might not last too long depending on how big the riot is.

Sir Ebrum wrote:Riots are breaking out in Wan! Will you be able to quell the mob? Riot locations are marked in red.

Sir Ebrum can provide some clarity here? :)

I thought that the 3 red marks are merely riot locations and not units per se. Also a rioting mob is not like a usual army unit (though they can be considered as one if Sir Ebrum decides so). So maybe I should have said Huyan Lie uses his Wile skill to draw the rioters into 1 place, rather than the outright Lure ploy usually used on battlefield. Also since the rioting mobs aren't exactly units with chain of command and discipline, perhaps they can indeed be gathered into and occupy 1 square. Or maybe 2 squares.

Sir Ebrum, do the riot reports tell us (estimated) how many rioters are there in each area?

Xu Yuan wrote:These are some great suggestions all around. I believe WesternConqueror's plan to use our Promise Pole plot from the absolute safety atop the South Gate is a fantastic idea for Cai Bin. If the Grand Administrator could join him to have a greater impact on the situation, that too could help. However... that 30 Politics doesn't shine. Despite Liu Shentong's status he may inadvertently cause more harm than good (42 Politics seems to have wreaked enough havoc, hehe)

Hehehe...yeah. I agree 100 Pol Cai Bin should be the one addressing the mobs. And he could do the Promise Pole thingy too. Together with LST for more credibility certainly.

Hmmm...just maybe...Huyan Lie should mix in with the rioters and try to act as their spokesperson, and hence try to influence their actions from that role. :wang: 8-)

Xu Yuan wrote:I do think UnholyBlade is right that the Rioters may count as units that cannot occupy more than one square, even if that is the case that they can all be pushed in front of the South Gate it seems poor military practice to trap the rioters with no place to go. It would cause them to fall into desperation and strike out in fear for their lives. I would suggest to surround them on three sides and allow them to flee on one side. To coerce them to flee after Cai Bin's actions would be somewhat hypocritical. If they leave of their own accord after Cai Bin's pronouncement from an already open path speaks better to the city's intentions I feel.

Imho, the mobs are civilians whom we are giving an option to back down and disperse and live. So they likely won't choose to die in a blaze of glory. If these were soldiers however, they might choose to fight to the death. So to trap these rioters in a situation with little chance of success and almost certain death in continuing their riot might actually encourage them to choose to stop.

Xu Yuan wrote:Should it also be possible to Negotiate with a leader of the Rioters that too might settle the situation.

Hmm...I thought this is good. Mat earlier also suggested duelling these individuals as a way to take down mobs with minimal bloodshed. Though do we have a way to identify this person(s)? Or we rely on chance he/she will become visible and recognizable later?

cjh1k2004 wrote:In the first place, though, where *are* the important buildings on the map? It's not entirely clear where we start from and what buildings are represented on the tile. If the map were more fully labelled I could send Jiang Yan somewhere more, uh, useful. RP it as something like "rioters are here, go here!" to him, or something like that.

UnholyBlade wrote:I'm unsure if we as players know where they are, but I think our characters would have a realistic idea of where they are? Maybe every building on the map is a resource/building? I think it stands to reason that our characters are more knowledgeable about the logistics of the city than we are.

Would like to add that it's not just important buildings to identify and defend, but also possible block points to prevent more rioters from joining in the fight, choke points to thin out the mobs, "death corridors" where rioters can be lured through where they will be thinned out in smaller numbers and vulnerable to our soldiers, etc.

Also the number of rioters in each mob. What's the scale of rioting we are looking at here.

Basically the holistic strategic overview on the situation.

I thought that perhaps the officers who are privy to the reports might know these info. Sir Ebrum?

Plot Thread
Tactics Discussion
Finalized Tactics

"Facing my wine,
I break into song,
How rare is this moment,
WesternConqueror
Ranking Officer

Postby WesternConqueror » 24 Aug 2017, 06:44

Thought I should just say this:

All suggestions, feedback and input on this plot are welcomed from everyone. Regardless of whether you are participating in this plot or not. :D

Plot Thread
Tactics Discussion
Finalized Tactics

"Facing my wine,
I break into song,
How rare is this moment,
WesternConqueror
Ranking Officer

Postby Dong Zhou » 24 Aug 2017, 06:47

Makes sense. Li Jun would make good choice for reasons Unholy Blade said

He can only be in one place of the three and should have backup clause for if that fails

Indeed but we would need to find leaders first

- Protecting the grain supply is not a bad idea. I would suggest we simply send some troops there rather than take the lead ourselves, though. If we hear it’s being attacked then we can move to intercept. Alternatively, one officer could head there and bunker down just for the sake of safety.

Kun Tiao has indicated in past she would be keeping in rear so her being there would work. If we dispatch soldiers without a leader, might go wrong if they panic or lose their discipline. If we allow Huyan Lie's plan, one leader can stay till the rioters have been moved

Check with Ebrum and if Smithy counts as part of armoury?

- Building barricades to block the civil office seems like a good idea. That appears to be the main target for the rioters, so perhaps it would be best if we gathered there, at least to start?

Huyan Lie and Cai Bin could do that while our units face off against rebels, trying to gather round could see riots get worse while we do so

Huyan Lie plan

I like the idea including how to deal with the aftermath. The danger is we get mass looting and problems while they head to where we send them while trying keep them away from any real key areas, but if we can gather them in one place, we can either talk or kill them all.

We need to have a backup on clause 5 for our troops to use their conventional weapons if rioters get violent and have weapons of their own. We also need a backup for "if rioters aren't tricked into moving"

Shentong with persuading rioters, not sure he is needed. Cai Bin is one of the highest ranking members of the administration

Open gate vs close: If they flee then we have the problem of what do they do then?

Officer Profile

Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Mat » 24 Aug 2017, 11:25

Some great discussion and a lot to unpack here! :)

Items we need clarification from Sir Ebrum about:
- Are the 30 Bows in the armory or still equipped on the troops from the last KT?
- Where are the major landmarks located on the map?
- Where are our starting positions? Most people will start at the central HQ with Liu Shentong, but where is Jiang Yan starting out?
- And are rioters inside the red squares treated like a single unit for the purposes of battle ploys?
- Do we have any information on how many rioters we're dealing with?

Items we all seem to agree with or at least don't disagree with:
- Establish a curfew after the riots to protect people and the city (great idea WC)
- Use blunted weapons initially but have the option for more lethal measures just in case.
- Cai Bin should be the one negotiating.
- Humanitarian aid after the event is important.

One point of contention, at least for me:

I see there's a lot of support for gathering the rioters in one place. I don't think that's our best option, though. In order to get them all together they have to move through more of the city and will likely damage it further. Additionally, the strength of a riot comes from the mob. If we get the rioters all together they may feel even more empowered and will be less-likely to surrender or see reason. Divide and conquer is a standard tenet in war and I think it applies to riots as well, perhaps even more so.

However, if you all prefer the idea of trying to herd the rioters into one location through the use of ploys we'll try that. I'm just voicing my opinion that I think it could have some unfortunate consequences.

Rather than split our forces significantly, I would suggest we proceed as follows:

1) Jiang Yan is ordered to protect the armory. Whether or not he decides to follow his orders is up to him, but I'm more comfortable with him using lethal force against rioters attempting to arm themselves - clearly they intend to be violent, so their intention should be met with violence.

2) Jiang Meixiu and Ju-long Bai are tasked with guarding the granary. They send runners for reinforcements. The direction the runners will go will depend on where the granary is.

3) Li Jun will gather troops from the north and northeast before rejoining the riot control team outlined below. She will also send runners to medics and have them sent to the garrison to prepare for incoming wounded.

4) The riot control team, or RCT, will initially consist of Liu Shentong, Dai Ren, Cai Bin, and Huyan Lie. Li Jun will rejoin it after gathering reinforcements, but it will start with 2(100) troops. All troops are armed with shields and truncheons, but also carry swords should things turn ugly.

--4a) The RCT will utilize Huyan Lie's Formation skill to move quickly through the city with the Column formation, switching to the Block formation when arriving at a riot scene.

--4b) Cai Bin will address the crowd from behind a line of troops and use his amazing skills of diplomacy (63 Int, 95 Pol, 85 Cha, Articulate, Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Riot) to talk down the crowd and hopefully get some of them to disperse.

--4c) Huyan Lie will use Lure to move the remaining rioters into intersections where they can be attacked on multiple sides, then use Trick to attempt to get the rioters to fight among themselves before the soldiers move in to disperse them.

--4d) The remaining rioters will be dispersed through force with the intent to incapacitate rather than kill. If any leader can be identified, Shentong will attempt to engage them personally in a duel provided his injuries do not exceed 10%.

--4e) Arrests will be made and a token force left behind to deal with the aftermath before the RCT moves on to the next nearest riot location square.

That's just a suggestion, though. I believe all of the plans put forward have their merits. Splitting the teams up in UB's plan could minimize damage to the city and may do a better job of utilizing the talents of the officers than mine. WC's plan to herd the rioters could make for a single, decisive end to things and could potentially end with less bloodshed than the other plans.

Also, has anyone considered Cai Bin could use his Riot skill to shift the anger of the rioters away from the city? It might be a creative way to validate their feelings of anger but make use of the emotion by shifting blame. They should be angry, just not at the current administration. Just a thought. :scholar:

Edit: And I'm totally fine with someone else taking point on the plot writing for this (would prefer it, actually). I just want us to come to a consensus on which approach to take. :)
Last edited by Mat on 24 Aug 2017, 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Simzhou