Wan City: Zhou Estate

Re: Wan City: Zhou Estate

Postby Dong Zhou » 15 Mar 2017, 08:05

Li Jun thought best not to reach out and pat Zhou Liang but she tried to give him a reassuring smile, her voice sympathetic.

"Don't worry, I know where I stand in the marriage market and in the mistress market. My range for marriage is a a respectable civil officer or a farmer since I have no name, no connections or wealth. I can provide a steady income with hopes of promotion in future and offer my children a better start then I had but it offers nothing to the Zhou future."

Li Jun did notice the blush and fought to suppress an amused smile on her lips. She thought his delaying would come to haunt him but they had discussed this when he trained the troops, she didn't think repeating it would help. He still had time, hopefully he would not wait too long and find himself an old, unmarried man. However something did nag at the back of her mind and after taking a sip to compose her thoughts, she tried to gently probe.

"I respect your wishing to wait, as long as you don't wait too long. However you need to work on your confidence in such subjects, or at least seem a comfortable, confident, man of the world. It may not matter much in civil service and soldiers would merely tease but your visible... awkwardness on the matter is a vulnerability that could be exploited in ways that will make you very unhappy."
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 93*-66-70-30-60 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby Bradums » 15 Mar 2017, 15:52

Liang didn't know how to feel about the conversation at this point, though that was hardly Li Jun's fault. He was frustrated that he felt so handcuffed by his father's demands when he normally did as he pleased with little interference. At the same time, he was pleased Jun wasn't offended by his honest explanation of his father's expectations. The young noble hoped, despite their limited time together, she understood that he wasn't judgmental in the least.

"It's a funny thing, I suppose...being born. We have no say in whether we're born as princes or farmers, geniuses or fools. Yet, from the moment we're born onward, we're judged for it in different ways, and held accountable as if we decided to be what we were born as," Liang lamented.

"I wish things were simpler," he admitted before taking a drink of tea.

Her words were surprisingly direct, and true. He was insulated from public humiliation and criticism, thanks to his elevated status, but being a twenty-year-old male without so much as a prospective wife or consort was grounds for mocking. And, as she said, exploitation. Part of what he liked about her from the start was the fact that she spoke to him plainly and openly, both before and after knowing he was nobility.

"I guess I should just deal with the issue sooner rather than later. Talk to my father, figure out some sort of plan..." he relented with a sigh, "To be honest, it's just easier to ignore issues I have no control over rather than agree and be led about like an ox with a plow. It's not the most responsible thing to do, but I'll admit my flaw..."

He moved to take another sip, interrupting himself to add, "...just this once, though."
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby Dong Zhou » 16 Mar 2017, 10:03

Li Jun shrugged as Zhou Liang mused on birth. She wasn't much of a philosopher, it was just something one picked up over time dealing with the rich and the poor, it was an unfair world. She had at least been born into some respectability even if it hadn't offered her much, her children would befit to a degree from her respectability and contacts within the city.

"If I was born rich, I would not be a guard. I would also be less intresting I would imagine."

She said that with a little wink before she turned serious.

"If I was born the child of a thief, I would not be a guard but for very different reasons. I worked hard to get to where I am but I had the option to do so becuase my parents were honest farmers, I know plenty of others who might have done well but would never get the chance. A blacksmith's apprentice is not going to be someone he doesn't quite trust after all."

Li Jun laughed at Zhou Liang's final little joke, she was glad he was taking her advice and perhaps this would help him be more willing to love but she did worry slightly he would go too far the other way and marry someone who would be wrong for him.

"You don't need to marry for for sometime if you don't meet the right person, you can remain clean and chaste for awhile yet. It is more the... perception needs to be otherwise. If people feel your eager to be married, maybe a few rumours of a young man spreading his oats, if someone mentions an attractive woman and you don't blush then it doesn't actually matter what your love life actually is."

In her line of work, a tricky criminal knew how to be just one of a crowd, who knew how to be alibied by being seen elsewhere by being visible at the right moment. It was the ones who withdrew before a crime and then afterwards get very nervous, they were easy to catch. She didn't think that analogy would be right for Liang.

"You become just one of many rich males who will be married any second now, not the noticeably awkward one who could be exploited."

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Bradums » 18 Mar 2017, 21:48

She made good points. That was obvious. He recalled from their first encounter that she had mentioned the daunting task of getting married, and how it was a different challenge for commoners in general. A part of him wondered what her past was like, but didn't want to delve too far into that in just their second meeting.

Gesturing toward Li Jun before reaching to pour another cup of tea for himself, Liang laughed and replied, "Who knows? You're a woman who went from the daughter of a farmer to a city guard to captain, and now you've been given a tally of office. Keep this pace up and you might find yourself in a position of esteemed rank and authority before long."

Shrugging playfully, he went on to say, "It might not be a confirmation of nobility, but it's lofty enough that if it happens, we might be able to solve the entire issue of marriage by just marrying one another and being done with it. Wouldn't that be practical?"

The young noble chuckled lightly as he lifted his fresh cup up and took a sip.

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby Dong Zhou » 20 Mar 2017, 06:04

"Somewhere, your father has a feeling of horror but he doesn't know why."

It was a good natured joke but Liang's comments did make her think, not about marriage to a noble clan but how far could she go? The loss of the last magistrate was an opportunity for a lot of figures to enter the administration and for old hands like herself to rise a bit further. she took more sips and began musing

"The war does provide opportunities for people like me to make our fortune but it will be a brief spell, once the rebels are defeated then the rewards and glory goes back to the court and the civil officials. I lack the political knack or the confidence to handle the higher ups for that world, my rise will be limited. A nice house, comfortable wealth, that is all I can dream of stretching for from this."

Li Jun looked at Zhou Liang and wondered, how far would he go. How far would he let himself go?

"What about you? A change of regime provides opportunity for a man like you, how far do you see yourself going. Would you consider leaving Wan for an opportunity within the government?"

Officer Profile

Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Bradums » 20 Mar 2017, 13:28

With a chuckle, Liang remarked, "Somehow, that's a feeling I'm sure he gets often."

Her next words made him think a bit, and he couldn't help but grin. To both topics, a relative point could be made. How relevant? Well, that was yet to be seen, but at least it would set a positive example.

"My ancestor was a military captain who helped the Han come into existence, and another found his luck by simply holding to standards rather than make a show for the Emperor. Both men were nothing more than captains in the military until they showed their character," he explained.

Taking another sip of tea, he went on to note, "You never know how far your efforts will take you. I'm sure Zhou Bo didn't expect to be made Marquess of Jiang. Likewise, I don't imagine Zhou Yafu was planning on rising to greater heights, yet he did. Granted, the same honesty and integrity that made him who he was also cost him his life, but the mark was set higher for it..."

Both men set the foundation for the Zhou clan in the Han Empire. One helped establish it, the other helped defend it. The former was a military commander who rose to prominence and nobility for his work, the latter rose to command the entirety of the Han army.

"For my part, I'd prefer to stay in Wan for the time being. If the Imperial Court requests my presence in the Capital, I wouldn't be able to refuse...but I feel like this is my home. I've invested a lot into it, and I finally feel like I'm becoming a part of it," he admitted, looking uncharacteristically vulnerable, "If we manage to turn aside the rebel invasion, I'm hoping we look further into the future. With a military victory, we could find ourselves in a position to press onward and reclaim Xiangyang, and who knows after that? I'd prefer to be a part of it, either way..."

He didn't get sappy enough to admit that it was people like Li Jun who made him feel welcome in Wan, but it crossed his mind...

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby Dong Zhou » 21 Mar 2017, 10:39

Li Jun had not had a strong education but she was thankfully able to recall the Han heroes though she quietly mused she was more likely to die by political ineptitude then anything that would be called honour. She knew some of the older soldiers when she was coming through the ranks had felt the Han court neglected it's soldiers when the big honours came around. and that had rubbed off on her. There would be rewards when the rebels were beaten but then what for the miliatry figures? Zhou would be, though she didn't want to tell him that, better off in civil service over long term.

Seeing his vulnerability, she reached out to pat his hand and provide a bit of comfort.

"Nothing wrong with wishing to make your home better. Wan needs good men to help rebuild it, there will be peace here someday and Wan needs for it to go better then last time. Bring this back to a place of prosperity and strength, it would benefit everyone."

As Li Jun finished her cup, she wondered if Zhou Liang might regret not going for court if chance came or might feel differently in ten years. About a lot of things. Now though, he did offer a tantalising prospect for the future even if she knew they were still far away from being in a position to take the offensive.

"Yes, we can't hold Wan and consider job done. As long as rebels hold Xiangyang, they are a threat to us and the capital, we will have to push onto the offensive to secure the south which gives more opportunities for the likes of me. Then we will have to see if the rebels still trouble the north so more opportunities for you to get into the army and for me to make that name for myself."

Officer Profile

Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Bradums » 22 Mar 2017, 19:15

Liang was thankful for her straightforward and honest companionship. It was less rigid than he was used to, and it made him feel a little more human.

"I feel like we're in a unique position. If we succeed in breaking the rebels' front down in Xiangyang, we'll have done what the Imperial army was unable to do. That in itself will prove our worth," he replied, "And not only that, but in doing what others couldn't, it should show our justification - and our necessity - in striking out from Wan to reclaim rebel-held territories."

The young man took a deep breath and added, "I know, given the circumstances, a lot of people won't be too fond of the prospect of leaving Wan to do the Empire any favors, but it's bigger than that, I think. We'd be doing for others what we've done for ourselves."

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby Dong Zhou » 23 Mar 2017, 10:07

Li Jun thought of Huang Dong, a man she knew would leave once Wan was safe. Where there others who might also go "the job is done" and leave?

"We are of the same mind on this. We will need to advocate the need to take the fight to them in Xiangyang, to argue that till the rebels no longer have a stronghold on our borders, we aren't secure."

Li Jun sighed

"We will lose some officers once Wan is deemed secure and we will face opposition for any advancing out of our borders, probably from those who have argued the rebels will pass us by and we should ignore them. That may be more your sphere to win over then mine though, I doubt the words of a guard captain will sway them.""

Officer Profile

Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Bradums » 24 Mar 2017, 19:50

Zhou Liang chuckled slightly.

"Unfortunately, I think you're right," the young man agreed, "Such is the plight of a noble. When you need people to listen to something, you send someone with a pedigree to speak loudly and suddenly ears are open."

The young scion shrugged and sighed a little to himself. He joked about it, but he knew that if the time came and they were put in the situation to either remain in Wan or look to their neighbors, he would enter the public arena to argue the merits of continuing on with their fight against the rebels.

"Regardless, I'm glad to hear we're in agreement on this matter. It's easy to sit in our homes and ignore what lies beyond, but the truth is that problems don't simply disappear...they require a solution. If we are able to break the rebel invasion from Xiangyang, it will be proof that we are the solution," Liang told the woman.

A part of him still wanted to pick up a sword...or swords...or a spear...or a bow...or really as much as he could carry, as he did on the day he heard of the impending invasion. He was resourceful, and he liked being prepared - even if to a comic degree. However, he knew - after many conversations with his elders and superiors in the new administration - that he was of better service in the civil realm. His sword would be his wit, and his shield would be...well, the best analogy for a shield in the verbal arena would be his sarcasm and nonchalant attitude. Not traditional tools of the civil servant, but those were the ones he wielded best.

It would be up to Li Jun and the rest of the military corps to do the physical labors of warfare...

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby Dong Zhou » 25 Mar 2017, 07:24

Li Jun mused that perhaps there was something a bit wrong that, though she was the more experienced miliatry figure, Zhou Liang would have more clout in persuading the higher ups to war then she would. Some of that was certainly ability, she was as liable to offend her superiors then she was to charm them whereas Liang knew how to charm but there was also status. She had a limited one as a miliatry officer, he was of noble clan. Perhaps if the decision was to be made by the army it would be different but how many of Wan's decision makers would be? Or would ie be the cai Bin's and Dao Lang's making that judgement?

Still, best to firs to focus on Wan.

"We are still a long way from fighting fit though, first we must get ourselves into a position where we can make our move. Our officer core has grown of late and there are talented figures. However ego's among the miliatry officers are considerable and I have already begun to see the first flare ups among them. Our troops are eager and of good heart but lack of equipment and training means keeping things very simple and handling fighting in ways that don't always suit the officers in the field."

Li Jun looked up to the heavens. Or the roof.

"I suspect though, getting the troops equipped and in good order is going to be easier then keeping a lid on the ego's. I do not envy our new magistrate that task at least."

Officer Profile

Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Bradums » 28 Mar 2017, 16:07

Liang bit his lip slightly, a little concerned about the topic at hand. Not in speaking of it, but in the truth of it. The young noble had figured egos would be a huge hurdle to climb, especially given the chaotic nature of the situation. As he knew all too well, some men wanted power and whatever the conclusion, would still seek it.

Despite the fact that Shentong had been chosen to be magistrate, and military offices assigned, there would be those who wanted what they weren't given - and who would feel that they were entitled to it. This would create conflict.

"Cohesion is vital to our success," Liang noted, "I feel like our new magistrate's military background will lend him a unique perspective in dealing with dissent and egotism. Where a normal official would be intimidated or unsure of how to proceed in the face of threats or pressure, I don't imagine Liu Shentong will have the same issue."

Taking a deep breath, he went on to add, "Of course, dissent isn't necessarily a bad thing. We don't want to be repressive in our treatment. That's how rebellions spring up in the first place. It would be a little counter-intuitive to create the problem we're trying to fix. However, when dissent becomes less of a difference of opinion and more of an undermining or challenge, it needs to be dealt with swiftly and decisively - one way or another."

With a sigh and an exaggerated shrug, he threw up his arms and said, "I don't imagine our magistrate having an issue with that. And with people like you in the garrison, and - scary as it is - me in the civil offices, I don't imagine any issues blowing out of proportion any time soon that we can't cut off before any real damage is dealt."

Despite the severity of the topic, he gave a little chuckle.

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Postby Dong Zhou » 29 Mar 2017, 08:25

Li Jun nodded to the idea that Liu Shentong's miliatry expirence would aid him, at least in keeping the miliatry officers in some sort of line. She wasn't sure it would help with the civil officers, they had always seemed to follow their own standards and rules, one where she was sure she would never be accepted by them. They seemed more detached and more peaceful, though still could be arrogant, in her dealings with them.

"I suppose it is partly a consequence of new officers joining, we don't yet know each other, everyone wants to get favour in a new regime and an army is always full of hotheads. One needs a lot of confidence and a strong personality to assert control over troops and inspire them, that does not always make one an easy person to live with. Or make one an example that scholars will praise I imagine."

She knew if strict morality was imposed on the guards, most of it's officers would have been sacked by now. Including her. The thought of such a person in charge of the guards had amused her at times but while some of the officers recent reactions had been funny, not all of it was now she thought about it.

"Maybe it will settle down but the early signs have not been good. Testosterone running way too high, too much anger towards one's own side and one officer... well best I don't speak of Jiang Bin. The army needs to be able to coordinate and rub shoulders with each other better, that needs as much work as training the soldiers if the defence is to hold strong."

Li Jun shook her head and thought it a good idea to inquire how his world was going. Maybe it was also full of people needing a time out? Plus to tease him a little wouldn't hurt.

"I take it your expecting at least some hotheads of your own? There I was thinking you would have a nice relaxing time among men of scholarly rectitude and calm."

Officer Profile

Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Xu Yuan » 14 Apr 2017, 18:55

Speaking with Jiang Yan left Cai Bin with more questions than answers and feeling that he had not achieved his objective set off to the Zhou Estate to get a clearer estimation on what exactly happened with the negotiations which caused the maximum use of force as necessary. Not knowing how to get in contact with the lady Jiang Meixiu who was planned to act as negotiator alongside Cai Bin until the necessity of interrogation changed those plan, Cai Bin headed to the Zhou Estate to speak with the man that had replaced him in the kidnapping negotiations in the safe return of Xiaoquan Shen.

His carriage pulled up the Zhou Estate's gates as the moon hung high in the sky. Seated with him were two of his Aides, one an older man and a young lady as they were deep in discussions about the proper course to take to head off a public scandal over Jiang Yan's actions, none of them aware that Jiang Yan would take the next steps on his own to rectify the situation. Cai Bin slowly got out of the carriage and made his way to the gates where he spoke in a deep, resonating tone, his Aides had been left in the carriage. "I am Cai Bin, Senior Political Advisor of Wan. I desire to speak with the Young Master if he is present."
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Gold: 4
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Han

Postby Bradums » 17 Apr 2017, 19:58

"Of course, sir! Of course..." the guard captain offered, bowing respectfully as he moved to open the doors for the senior official, "The young lord is inside."

At that, an attendant rushed to fetch Zhou Liang. Cai Bin was led to the main hall of the estate, where the Zhou clan generally entertained their guests. After a few moments, the young scion of the household appeared. His face was a bit stubbly, but he looked otherwise impeccable and clean.

Offering a polite bow, Liang said, "Master Cai, welcome. It is an honor to receive you at my home. To what do we owe the honor of your visit, sir?"

A part of him had some thoughts as to what topics might be on the elder minister's mind, but naturally, he wasn't going to make verbal assumptions or divert the conversation at its start.

Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

PreviousNext

Return to Simzhou