Capture Rebel planning room

Re: Capture Rebel planning room

Postby ShadInquis » 01 Mar 2017, 14:39

Li Sheng responded:

Thank you for the offer, but I do not need it. The bruises will heal, and numbing pain is meaningless. Pain should only be numbed if it really needed. Otherwise it's is a good reminder to not get to complacent.

Moving a bit closer to Huang Dong, and speaking honest interest, without a single hint of sarcasm:

By the way, great choice of banner. Psychological warfare at the finest. The dissonance between the fluffy kitten banner and the brutal assault would drive the enemies very confused and probably lead the survivors to make up all sorts of stories about us just to avoid accepting the truth.

I should have thought of doing something like that myself
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Han1977 » 01 Mar 2017, 23:54

ShadInquis wrote:...By the way, great choice of banner. Psychological warfare at the finest. The dissonance between the fluffy kitten banner and the brutal assault would drive the enemies very confused and probably lead the survivors to make up all sorts of stories about us just to avoid accepting the truth.

I should have thought of doing something like that myself

Huang Dong was shocked. He awkwardly coughed and tried to push the folded banner deeper.

'Heaven punish me... heaven punish me... I should know better, never show off. I thought my painting is good and want people to admire it. Only to find they couldn't appreciate its beauty. Good thing I quickly folded it after the battle. Who knows how many people had seen it? Truly heaven punish my arrogance.', he inwardly rebuked himself, and at the same time, he racked his brain to find an answer for Li Sheng.

<cough>

He pulled the boy a bit closer and whispered, "Say nothing of it. It's ... it's a big secret."

His eyes quickly glanced at the other officers. He sincerely hope no one heard Li Sheng's earlier comment.

"It's... my newly created secret weapon. I'm still experimenting with it, it's not ready yet. So, just keep it a secret."

'It's a tiger god damn it!' A tiger! A freaking huge, terrifying tiger!, he inwardly cursed.

'Perhaps I should not try to make its eyes too big? Or is it the extra whiskers? The round ears? Perhaps the eyes and the ears are too big for its head?'
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-61-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 52
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby Fa Zheng » 03 Mar 2017, 12:20

The young Li Sheng had agitated Liao Ju. It wasn't the type of situation to get on Ju's bad side. he had seen the horrors of war yet again, people who he had just got to know were dead. He had taken lives, he couldn't stand such a flippant attitude. Was he too young to understand the consequences of what had happened and what needed to be done. A barracks of two hundred drunk men, mourning the loss of their comrades while another hundred men where being integrated into their force would lead to fights and murder. Trust needed to be built immediately or these men would turn against them as soon as the rebels showed.
Before he could muster his response Huang Dong had interceded, the man was calm and collected despite everything. Liao had some respect for the man, where he lost his temper with the young man, he sought to educate and placate instead of instil some empathy and logic with the back of a hand. It had been a long day and with his interception had probably saved him some face, he chose instead to ignore Li Sheng. Turning round to face Li Jun, he returned the smile as best he could, though the look in his eyes betrayed his mouth. He didn't enjoy war but knew his duty and always did his best. It was one of the few things he had learnt from his father. He took the wine skin back and took a swig from it. It would help tonight when he tried to get some sleep.

Liao Ju: Nice to meet you, former guard Li Jun. I wish we could have met properly under better circumstances. I hope that you will be visiting a doctor before you do anything when we get back to Wan? We can't have wounds getting infected.

With that said he used the ointment offered by Huang Dong as well. If he didn't it would be days before he would be able to move fully again. Over the years his joints had started to show wear and tear, he doubted he would have much more than a decade before they would start causing him a hindrance on the battlefield. He decided he would give himself a day off the next day to recover and maybe go sailing. The one past time of his he still enjoyed and could take part in while in Wan.

Liao Ju: Thank You Huang Dong, I would have struggled for days were it not for you bringing this.

OOC: sorry about late reply)
Liao Ju (37)
87-72-75-37-32
Arrowstorm, Counter, Leader, Missile, Navy, Reversal, Volley.
viewtopic.php?f=289&t=13028&p=1463906#p1463906
Fa Zheng
Middle Aged Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 03 Mar 2017, 13:15

A secret weapon? How interesting. Well, people can have their secrets. Maybe the cute thing got gifted to him by a niece or daughter and the poor man just could not refuse. Still, "secret weapon": what a way to tall it! Li Sheng could barely hold the smile on his face from turning into open laughter.

Worry not, I will wait with anticipation until it is complete. This stratagem would surely help us triumph in battle. I am impressed that you seem to be so well prepared. From ointments to tactical considerations. I guess I could learn a thing or two.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Mat » 03 Mar 2017, 19:29

Han1977

Shentong nodded to Huang Dong's suggestion.

"Praise is certainly in order, although I would prefer it be given by the soldiers immediate commanders. I am very proud of what we have accomplished. It is not easy to lead untrained men. The raids we conducted are typically reserved for the elite in an army, not new recruits."

Dong Zhou (Happy Birthday!) and others

"A kitten? No, I can't say that I saw anything of the sort. Although I was paying a bit more attention to the screaming mass of rebels," the Commandant said with a slight smile on his face. He wondered if the poor woman had taken too many blows to the head.

All

Upon return to Wan, Liu Shentong orders that the surviving troops be given a double ration of baijiu as a reward for their courage. Whether they choose to drink to mourn or celebrate is up to them. In any case, they are commended for successfully completing their missions.

The newly-recruited rebels are immediately split up and sent to other units to help ease their integration into the city's military. They are not included in any festivities, nor rewarded.

After the other officers have settled-in and tended to their wounds, Shentong addresses them all behind closed doors. Only the officers involved in the raids are present.

"I wanted to personally thank you for your efforts on the battlefield. I have been informed that every single one of you led the charge when you engaged the rebels."

Shentong looked to every officer. His tone was steady and respectable, with a hint of pride.

"As leaders, it is incumbent upon us to set the example. While our ranks command respect, it is our actions that earn it. The men will not soon forget your willingness to throw yourselves into the fray. It is much easier to demand courage when you demonstrate that quality yourself."

"But do not mistake my words. Our place is not always at the vanguard. The role we take must adapt to the battlefield. It just so happened that on this particular day, the situation demanded you guide with steel as well as with words. Once again, I thank you."

Shentong looked to the leaders of the other two raiding parties.

"The reports I received were quite brief. Is there anything in particular that should be brought to my attention?"
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Han1977 » 04 Mar 2017, 00:43

Liao Ju

"I am glad to be of help. Old bones like us need a bit more maintenance compared to the young one.", Huang Dong replied.

Huang Dong glad to find someone around his age. He felt that he couldn't admire battle the way young men like Li Sheng did.

"These days, I had to exercise a bit in the morning. Otherwise, I feel, I would hear my joints creaking for the rest of the day. A nice nap in the afternoon and then a bit of herbal tea before sleep. At the same time, I feel that I learn how to enjoy my life much more."

---
Li Sheng

He nodded to Li Sheng, "A skirmish, a battle, a war, each are different in scale and complexity, but have some common principle. Those who are well prepared have a better chance to win. We could win our skirmish despite the lack of training, mostly because our enemy are caught unprepared."

"The story would be different, if it's a normal battle."

---

Liu Shentong

Huang Dong nodded in agreement, "We're lucky to catch them unprepared."

After some thought he added, "We don't have much choice. Time is ticking and we have little information about our enemy. We're forced to send inexperienced men to mission. It might be too late, if we wait until they're ready."
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby ShadInquis » 04 Mar 2017, 10:18

Outside the command meeting
Following Liu Shengtong's suggestion, Li Sheng gives a small speech to congratulate the soldiers on his team.
You have done well. You have destroyed the enemy in front of you with minimal losses. You have seen firsthand that the rebels are not invincible. They bleed and die like any other men.

Some people will say that this was "just a minor battle". I say the risk you have taken is not any smaller just because of that. You faced an enemy with equal numbers and won. That's what matters. Of course, there will be more battles ahead, so make sure you train hard to be in top shape when it happens. But for tonight, be merry and celebrate!

Officers meeting

Li Sheng rises in response to Liu Shentong's question

There two obvious matters which need to be resolved.

The first is the simple matter regarding the returning men. We can either maintain them as a separate, experienced unit for the next couple of months until intense training will bring numerous troops. Or we could spread them across the army to spread the experience.

The second, more important matter, is of our further plans. I image over the next few days all the intel gathered from the captives and brought by spies will be put together and we will have some idea of enemy plans. Still, it is quite likely that we will still not know for sure what the enemy aims to do. The skirmish we just went through was quite useful, so it may be a good idea to do it again on a larger scale, both to gather more intel and to check enemy advance.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby One Sun Mirror » 04 Mar 2017, 13:02

The Officer Meeting
To the peasants-come-soldiers he had lead into battle, Gongsun Ji maintained a gruff but optimistic tone. He had praised their efforts liberally, as he knew a commander must, but also added a grain of salt in that they would have work to do should they wish to follow up their good fortune with more in kind.

Once they had arrived back to the city and Ji had personally dismissed the peasants, he was called to a gathering of the officers upon the request of the Magistrate. Instinctively he grimaced. In his past experience, these meetings at best resulted in fruitless faffing about, at worst... but he then remembered that Liu Shentong did not seem the kind of fool who would call them all together so lightly, and so he marched off for the meeting-place.

As he stood and listened to the Magistrate's words, the corners of his lips flickered upwards at the matter-of-fact language of the soldier who addressed them rather than the flowery nothing-filled drivel many other officials in his experience often addressed their subordinates with.
Mat wrote:"The reports I received were quite brief. Is there anything in particular that should be brought to my attention?"

"We who lead the Wolf Raid all unanimously decided that leading from the front would grant the best means of success. Given the frankly shameful condition of the armed forces the city is able to muster presently, it was this bold and brazen behaviour that inspired our own troops and broke the enemy," Ji relayed with forthright military precision. He did not bother with any deferential language or protocol in addressing others in the room, even his superior.

Continuing, he gestured to each of his comrades, "all of these men are not only fearsome warriors, but I can also attest to their supreme skills with their respective weapons. I urge you to make great use of their abilities in future! It must also be noted that it was Jian Bian who ultimately crafted the battle-plan which lead to our success. Fei Lai and Ky Rah were indispensable in allowing our troops to get so close to the enemy before they became aware of our presence. Perhaps it was my own creaking joints which meant we did not take our foes totally by surprise! And though Xu Xun is the youngest of us, his familiarity with his weapon makes him a true terror of the battlefield!"

"However, in future, even such officers will not save the city of Wan. I ask permission to instigate an immediate training program to address the appalling state of the militia here," he continued brashly. Perhaps others would take ire with his lack of humility here, but Gongsun Ji had no use for such pretense. "I need no rest special rest, nor shall I personally celebrate this victory. In truth, it has me more concerned that previous to it, and I would look to right this."
Gongsun Ji 83–55–75–17-77 Formation (e), Leader, Mobility, Raid, Scout
说曹操,曹操到
One Sun Mirror
Experienced Officer

Postby Han1977 » 05 Mar 2017, 10:37

Huang Dong scratched his nose. He was listening to Gongsun Ji and wondering whether it was wise to give his opinion. It took him a while before he carefully added.

"My apology to Master Gongsun, but ... many soldiers witness the fight. So ... I understand if you want to give a good report for your fellows... but..."

"Uhm... I think the soldiers aren't as useless as you described them. Without those soldiers, I'm afraid we won't survive at all."

"It's true that the officers raised the soldier's morale and make it possible for the soldiers to give their best during the battle, but the officers were not the one who won the battle. One should praise for their effort, but we shouldn't exaggerated it. Perhaps the soldiers are the one who deserve the praise, more than us, officers."

Huang Dong added, "Personally, I feel that the worse thing a leader could do, is when a praise or reward is given to the wrong person. Because it will ruin the army's harmony."

OOC:: I think the result is an IC knowledge. Most of the officers were out of action by the end of the fight. And almost no one defeat their opponents in duel. That's mean it's the soldiers who win the battle.
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby Mat » 05 Mar 2017, 11:12

Shentong nodded in Li Sheng's direction.

"Masters Cai and Dao are both busy interrogating the surviving rebels as we speak. But you are correct, further engagements may be necessary in the future. We will have a better idea what the rebels are planning in the coming days and can react accordingly."

"I believe it may be for the best to maintain the men as separate from their peers for a short while. We may have need of them again for small skirmishes."

The Commandant watched the exchange between Gongsun Ji and Huang Dong before continuing, shifting his attention between both of them as he spoke.

"The men did an excellent job given the circumstances, General Huang. They were asked to undertake a mission beyond their abilities and they succeeded because they were led by excellent officers."

"But General Gongsun is also correct in that they need more training. That is clear to all of us. I have already tasked General Dai with putting together a training regimen for them. Please seek him out after this meeting if you wish to help with this task, General Gongsun."
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Suicide Fox » 05 Mar 2017, 12:23

Jian Bian Scorns Huang Dong
and defends his own credibility

Jian Bian visibly gritted his teeth and clenched his fist.

"You should apologize, Huang Dong. Your group was unable to capture the enemy officer, am I correct? No offense to the Magistrate, of course. I openly question the compass of a man that wants to publicly downplay the results of capable officers that led untrained troops to battle and brought them victory. If you think the soldiers won that skirmish, you are a fool. Without capable men to lead them, they are just a rabble of confused and scared men, about as worthless as a snake without a head."

He would not stand by and allow a man he faught with in battle be publicly ridiculed among his peers. And of course, there was his own credit that was due.

"Personally," Jian Bian openly mocked with a tone that was more of a condescending sneer. "I feel the worse thing a leader could is depreciate the role that men such as the ones in this room play when it comes to achieving desired results in battle. Or maybe you can't tell the difference between a hardened veteran and a fresh whelp that can barely wield a blade?"
╔═╦╦═╗ Looking for V6 connections / backstory
║╚╣╠═╣ PM me if you've got something interesting!
╠╗║╠═╝
╚═╩╝ Jian Bian 90-81-50-20-50 Arrowstorm, Counter, Cunning(e), Mobility, Reversal, Volley
Suicide Fox
Veteran Officer

Postby Han1977 » 05 Mar 2017, 13:56

Huang Dong quietly listened to Jian Bian's anger, before calmly answered, "Haven't I said that us, officers, showed our leadership, raised their morale and helped them to win the battle?"

"Am I, taking down your good merit in this battle?"

"No, I'm not. If you listen to me carefully then you surely hear no such thing. I already said that us, officers, had done our part. However, I think it is only an honest opinion of me to say, it is these untrained, young, inexperienced soldiers who win the battle. Without them there, I will not be here today."

"We should give our respect to their courage and loyalty. Despite their lack of training and being their first time to battle, they showed that they have what it takes to be a soldier. If I have to say in your words, then these fresh whelp that can barely wield a blade, had saved your hardened veteran's... <cough>a**<cough>... lives."

"My apology, it seem my throat is a bit dry after the battle."
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby Suicide Fox » 05 Mar 2017, 14:12

(deleted to re-post for Shad's reply too)
Last edited by Suicide Fox on 05 Mar 2017, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.
╠╗║╠═╝
╚═╩╝ Jian Bian 90-81-50-20-50 Arrowstorm, Counter, Cunning(e), Mobility, Reversal, Volley
Suicide Fox
Veteran Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 05 Mar 2017, 14:13

There just has to be buffoon. No matter where, there is always one arrogant, loud-mouthed and stupid one. Li Sheng openly sighed.

Now, now. This exchange is not bringing anything productive to us. There is nothing to be gained by turning this meeting into to a morning market with shouts and insults.

Officer Huang Dong said nothing that he needs to apologise for. His words were filled with Ren, the key virtue according to the teachings of Kongzi. Discarding pride and protective of his subordinates, just as parent supports his children, this attitude is worthy of respect, even if one does not agree with his words.

Even if one does not agree, and even if one does not follow the teachings of Kongzi, openly insulting one's comrades-in-arms and subordinates is simply not wise. They will obey orders, but they will not forget. Perhaps in the next battle, they may be just a little too late to pull an injured officer out of battle. An archer may end accidentally missing his shot. Allied troops may misinterpret orders, and retreat quietly.

Now could we move back to the reason we gathered here?
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Suicide Fox » 05 Mar 2017, 14:26

Jian Bian gave a solemn nod to acknowledge Huang Dong's retort but said nothing in reply. He would be lured into no further argument towards the matter, feeling he'd said his fill. Although it was apparent he was not pleased.

when Li Sheng spoke, however...

"**** Ren, **** Kongzi, and **** you," He sneered. "My voice will not be silenced when a man tries to call out someone I've faught next to in battle, a man I bled with. I'm here to win battles, nothing more, nothing less. I could give less than piss what you think about morals. And I certainly won't be scorned by the likes of you, someone who can barely lead and won a fight because they caught soldiers sleeping by the wayside."

He turned to Magistrate Liu Shentong.

"My apologies, perhaps I am still fatigued from the heat of battle. I request to retire to my quarters."
╠╗║╠═╝
Suicide Fox
Veteran Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Simzhou