Capture Rebel planning room

Capture Rebel planning room

Postby ShadInquis » 13 Feb 2017, 00:23

OOC: This is an open RP for anyone doing the "capture rebels" mission in the second crisis. This may also an opportunity to reorganise teams if necessary.

As Li Sheng was formally accepted into the garrison as a sergeant, he took his job very seriously. The low rank was of not concern: agents often have deceptively low ranks. It was a better job than before, and earning merit would fix everything.

And an opportunity soon came. With talk of approaching rebel forces, it became urgent to find out the enemy plans. Some took to conventional spying, others decided to dabble in mystic arts. Yet the most obvious and direct option was to skirmish the enemy forces and interrogate the prisoners.

Strangely, most of the officers in the garrison declined this opportunity to lead their own troops and fight the enemy. Instead, they secluded themselves, mumbling something about needing to rescue someone. Very odd situation in which the first battle the soldiers will see, it will be under the command of strangers. Captain Liu Shentong left a generous message, giving command of up to 100 soldiers from the garrison to any team that would skirmish rebels, so long as at least one of then was reasonably competent in leadership. Li Sheng felt this was not enough and set up a planning room to ensure the garrison's strength is not unnecessarily wasted.

The planning room is an empty warehouse on the garrison grounds. This building is now covered in maps, and large desks house the plans, troop rosters and reports of rebel sightings. Most of the clerks doing the work are not soldiers, but rather the somewhat recently arrived group of quiet men from the district near the southern gate. Their collection of intel was useful though they still refuse to say why they were gathering it.
Last edited by ShadInquis on 13 Feb 2017, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Re: Capture Rebel planning room

Postby ShadInquis » 13 Feb 2017, 00:24

Officers who have volunteered (teams "as is" and not yet final):

Active Mission
Li Sheng (18) 30-90-80-30-60 Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
Liao Ju (37) 87-70-75-37-30 Arrowstorm, Counter, Leader, Missile, Navy, Reversal, Volley.
Jing Yi 80-80-60-40-60 Aid, Ambush, Arson, Loyalty (e), Raid, Stealth, Valor

Non combat
Dao Lang (43) 12-10-80-90-76 Acumen, Architect, Charming, Farmer, Logistics

Fei Lai (31) 90-84-42-31-31 Ambush, Blitz, Fortunate (e), Formation, Leader
Jian Bian 90-80-50-20-50 Arrowstorm, Counter, Cunning(e), Mobility, Reversal, Volley
Ky Rah (44) 30-85-70-30-80 Arson, Duelist, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
Xu Xun (30) 20-90-70-50-70 Artisan, Craftsman(e), Duelist, Fortunate, Weaponmaster, Wealth
Gongsun Ji 82–50–75–16-77 Formation (e), Leader, Mobility, Raid, Scout

Cautious mission.
Liu Shentong 70-90-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
Huang Dong 69-55-70-70-69 Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Li Jun (160) 90-60-70-30-60 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Non Combat:
Cai Bin 5-10-60-95-85 Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Last edited by ShadInquis on 19 Feb 2017, 06:05, edited 8 times in total.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Fa Zheng » 13 Feb 2017, 08:16

Liao Ju arrived at the garrison at dusk having been sailing along the local rivers mapping out the water ways in case a naval battle was to be had. His face was red from the wind and his scars itched. His face showed nothing but his scowl, something the garrison of this city had come to know from the weeks he had spent here. Nothing sat right with him, from the way the people were bickering like children to the incompetence of the leadership of the city. He tried his best not to let on to the soldiers his disdain for their leaders, he had not been able to meet most and only two that he had met and shown any degree of aptitude. He still thought that Dao Lang should have been the one to lead the city and carve out some sort of plan to save the civilians from the squalor they lived in currently, instead a young inexperienced 'military' man who had only known how to police was taking the reigns of leadership.
He had been invited back to the garrison to make a plan to capture some rebels by a sergeant of this Liu Shentong, he didn't hold much hope for the man if they had captains like Jiang Yan but he would be fair and let the man have his say. He made his salute to the men on duty at the entrance to the warehouse and then entered. He looked around at the clerks busying themselves and at the maps and rosters amongst the desks.

Liao Ju: Is there a Guard sergeant Li Sheng here? I'm Liao Ju, Lieutenant of the Imperial Army of Luo Yang. I believe he is expecting me.

Liao Ju looked at those that stared back at him hoping for some sort of response and not a complete sea of blank expressionless faces.
Liao Ju (37)
87-71-75-37-32
Arrowstorm, Counter, Leader, Missile, Navy, Reversal, Volley.
viewtopic.php?f=289&t=13028&p=1463906#p1463906
Fa Zheng
Middle Aged Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 13 Feb 2017, 14:04

Li Sheng looked at the list by his side. Yes this was one of the men who wanted to help for the rebel hunt. It was good to have someone properly trained here.

"Lieutenant, it is good you found time to visit. I am Li Sheng, and I am organising this operation. We have earmarked several 100-man units for this, but their deployment needs to have the right men at the lead or it would be just a waste of our limited manpower."
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Fa Zheng » 13 Feb 2017, 14:39

Liao Ju turned to the young, fresh faced man. The boy could have barely of seen any action in his few years of life, at least he was willing to cut his teeth on a small excursion than a battlefield. He was bound to of had some experience with a blade, he was a sergeant after all, but nothing had been normal about this garrison since he had arrived. He took a seat opposite where the young man was and pulled one of the maps over the desk studying it. Without raising his eyes from the map he began to speak.

Liao Ju: Good to meet you sergeant, I assume we have others on their way? We can discuss our plans once the others arrive, My idea should need three to four of us to implement but the more the merrier. Are any of your superiors joining us?

That was the question that Liao wanted to know. Were they serious about Wan's defence or were they a mob with uniforms.
Liao Ju (37)
87-71-75-37-32
Fa Zheng
Middle Aged Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 13 Feb 2017, 15:12

I very much assume the others are on their way. Those 100 troops they want to take aren't just going to appear at their doorstep. They will need to come to the garrison to assume temporary command. Li Sheng smiled.

As for the superiors, I do not know. It seems most of them are busy with another mission of rescuing someone. I will not question the choices of my superiors outside the chain of command, so I will leave it at that.

Before you proceed with your plan, let me show you the way I wanted to organise this. I would be interested in your opinion on this. I wanted the final verstion to be pinned at the front gate for any volunteers.
Li Sheng moves over an open scroll:

Rebel hunt ToE wrote:Mission
The general purpose of the mission is to:
1. Capture high ranking prisoners for questioning on enemy plans.
2. Capture lower ranking prisoners to be aware of enemy morale, training and equipment
3. Learn the rebel army's tactics and extent of their invasion.
4. Give some vital experience to the garrison to boost their confidence.

It is quite important to note that the goal of the mission is not to try and "kill rebels" or anything of the sort. Overzealous engagements would needlessly sap army strength and potentially result in the destruction of the raiding parties by numerically superior forces. The rebel forces need to be engaged only if when necessary. It is also important to remember that the garrison rank and file have only limited training and should not be expected to perform incredible feats.

Organisation
The standard troop contingent consists of 100 men from the garrison. The contingent will be led by several skilled men. To ensure mission success the team members need to fill the following 3 roles between them:
a. Troop leader. It is important that the otherwise inexperienced troops are well-led so they do not break in battle.
b. Pathfinder. As the mission takes place in no-man's land with numerically superior rebels forces in the area, it is important to have someone capable of the indirect approach to lead the forces.
c. Fighter. The combat is likely to take place would be fairly small scale. As such it would be important have a skilled fighter, capable of brining down rebel officers quickly or rapidly dispatching regular soldiers. Such feats could also boost friendly troop morale.

These are not titles to be set per person: multiple people can help fill one role, or one person can several roles. But the team between them needs to have all 3 covered.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Han1977 » 14 Feb 2017, 05:36

Do you need someone to set up an ambush?

How about a warrior acting as a bait, "accidentally" stumble upon a small group of patrol and run, while the less warrior set up an ambush :P .
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-61-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 52
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby Fa Zheng » 14 Feb 2017, 06:54

Liao Ju snorted in derision as the young man mentioned that they were off playing would be hero. They obviously couldn't make actual decisions, placing the life of one man over the rest of Wan. He listened and read to what the boy had said and wrote and gave it a cursory glace. it was all well and good but there was literally no content or a plan. It just gave ideas of jobs roles. Liao Ju then picked up a quill and a bit of parchment and started writing slowly himself while addressing the young man.

Liao Ju: First, you may not call out the 'Captains' on their performance or lack of any foresight but I shall. I'm not part of your chain of command and someone needs to hold them to account. Second, placing a plan on a door wouldn't be very wise. If the enemy were to have spies in Wan, it would be leaked and our hard work would be for nothing. Lastly, This scroll doesn't really have any content. Sure it's great that we can give job roles to people but it would be easier to just make a plan with each other and then assign roles as to who is best suited to which action needing to be performed.

Liao Ju then finished writing and passed the parchment over to Li Sheng. He then put his elbow on the desk and rested his head on his hand, awaiting the young man's response.

General Plan of Action

There will be three to four teams of soldiers depending on how many officers take part in the exercise.
Team 1 will consist of 10 Soldiers and an officer.
Team 2 will consist of 30 Soldiers and an officer.
Team 3 will consist of 30 soldiers and an officer.
Team 4 will consist of 30 soldiers and an officer.

Team 1's main responsibility will be to scout for the enemy, once found the team will rendezvous with the other teams to give details on the enemy's strength, direction and distance. Team 1 will then merge will team 2 creating a team of 40 soldiers and two officers.

Team 2 will then be required to go and engage the enemy and after a short fight will then flee in the direction of teams 3 and 4. While Team two has left, teams 3 and 4 will place hay and combustible materials down in a wooded area and soak them with oil in a line and then proceed in the opposite direction until they are out of immediate danger of the fire and wait in two opposite positions awaiting the enemy to appear in between them.

When team 2 two passes the agreed point of ambush with the enemy in pursuit, teams 3/4 will ignite the trap and spring their ambush while team 1/2 will turn to attack once more, this will cut off their retreat and either force them to engage or surrender. If they do not surrender then we engage until a small group survive. Team 1 will be responsible for catching as many alive as possible if battle ensues.

Once we have prisoners, we will extinguish the fire and retreat back to Wan to begin interrogations.

(OOC: Yeah I would like 2 generals with Ambush and Arson. Any takers please feel free to join. Also I don't know if I made it quite clear what I want to do. If you need a little map I can try make one)
Liao Ju (37)
87-71-75-37-32
Fa Zheng
Middle Aged Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 14 Feb 2017, 08:33

Li Sheng could not help but agree with the man. However important the rescure mission was, it could not possibly need every officer in the garrison. As for the rest,

I feel the plan has enough content. It sets out the general organisation of each team and sets out primary and secondary objectives. I do not want overzealous men come here to take command of 100 men and just waste them in some charge on the enemy. Let us see your plan...

Having finished the read, Li Sheng looked with a somewhat pained expression
You are from the capital, right? It must have been nice, having trained men at your command, fighting bandits and barbarians. This is precisely why I wrote the goals earlier.

We don't have some elite unit from Luo Yang. We will have 100 foot soldiers who barely know which end of the weapon points to the enemy. The highly advanced plan would not work with them. Simply trying making a fake retreat might turn it into a real rout for them. Furthermore, setting a fire would draw attention from enemy patrols from everywhere giving away our position where they can see the rising smoke. That's somewhat... suicidal, especially if any of those patrols are cavalry. Don't forget, we will be outnumbered in no man's land. We must remain stealthy.

I would prefer to work out the general principles and ideas, and leave the decisions to the men on the field.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Fa Zheng » 14 Feb 2017, 09:23

Liao Ju listened to the young man with a raised eyebrow, he was partially correct. The plan was a bit over complicated but his idea of suicidal was far from what that was. It would give them a very good chance of getting captives while leaving their troops mildly intact, The enemy wasn't sending out thousands of troops in the same area. they would have patrols just like us. There was a need for caution but if anyone else saw smoke then they would hear the battle anyway.

Liao Ju: Maybe you are slightly right with it being a bit over complicated. However fire is a very powerful ally which can demoralize the enemy in a heartbeat. We could scrap the first part of luring the enemy and simply have them come to us in waiting by lighting a fire. However with the horde burning villages and homes in a disorganised manner, I doubt it would ring many alarm bells seeing smoke. Also remember it is enemy patrols we are after, not their main force. We shall not be in any major danger from experienced cavalry units.

Liao Ju waited for the Li Sheng's reply, general principles were great but they already knew what had to be done and leaving decisions till they were in the field was naïve and dangerous.
Liao Ju (37)
87-71-75-37-32
Fa Zheng
Middle Aged Officer

Postby Han1977 » 14 Feb 2017, 11:08

Huang Dong decided to join in their discussion, "Well Master Li have a point, our troop barely have any form of training and even less experience."

"It would be best if we could avoid any trouble. I must say that I don't like the idea of risking my life. I prefer if we do our operation quickly and quietly."

OOC wrote::arrow: Capture Some Rebels (cautious)
Description: Venture very carefully out into no man's land and attempt to take prisoners from rebel patrols.
Relevant Stats: Lead, War, Int
Relevant Skills: Ambush, Scout, Stealth
Notes: Teams are allowed 100 troops (as in, 1 unit of troops).

"How about this, the one with skill in scout and know how to move stealthily would make the first move. They will scout and choose our target, a small group of patrol with much less number of soldiers compared to ours. Make an observation, try to see if we can find some kind of pattern in their movement or predict their route ahead."

"Once we got this information, us who know how to set an ambush will set it on the best spot, based on that earlier information."

"We will ambush and overwhelmed them with our large number. I hope that way, we could quickly defeat them. If we catch a decent fish, then we could take them with us to Wan for further interrogation. But if it happened that they don't have any important information. Or we think we need more information, then we could kill them all to lessen our trouble and search for another victim."

"We could also prepare a route for us to retreat, if we happen to lose the fight and need to run away from them. There along that path, I could set some fire trap to slow them down. We could set it as soon as we pass it, allow us to retreat safely."

"By the way, I wish we could get information about their generals, their skills and reputation. How large their army is. Whether they have ship or siege weapon. It will help us to form our battle plan later. Perhaps making our goal clear, it will be easier for us to decide when enough is enough."

OOC:: Btw, if we choose the cautious version, then we'll have all the necessary skill (ambush, scout and stealth). If we choose the other version, then we lack some of the needed skill. Of course it's not a strict requirement, but personally I prefer the cautious one. :P
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby Fa Zheng » 14 Feb 2017, 14:37

Liao Ju sighed as the new voice expressed his opinion, he couldn't fault him. It wasn't a bad plan, though it did require a certain degree of luck but most plans did anyway. He knew if the most recent plan was to go ahead, then he would be a hindrance to their success, he wasn't the type of officer who could wait around for days, learning patterns and sitting quietly by whilst enemy patrols passed by. His only course was clear to him.

Liao Ju: unfortunately I am not skilled in the more subtle arts and feel that I would be a hindrance to your exploits if I was to join in such an attack. I do not believe I have the skill set required to aid you in such an attack. However I would be willing to aid you with any planning you may need if that is the route you choose. My one concern is that if you don't believe the troops are of sufficient training for retreating than how could they possibly be able to mount a surprise attack? Have a bit more faith in the soldiers.

(OOC: If going the cautious route, Liao Ju will not join in the raid as he doesn't have any position he could fill with any confidence of success( he will be noticed, no stealth skills). He will advise more plans if you care to here him out and if a non cautious route is taken than he will be available for anyone who wants his help.)
Liao Ju (37)
87-71-75-37-32
Fa Zheng
Middle Aged Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 14 Feb 2017, 14:47

Li Sheng listened to both proposals. Both had merits. And both had limitations.

I can see the advantages of both ambush ideas. It is however important to remember that our plans not set in stone. We cannot know for sure the situation until we get there. For example, the idea of a fire ambush may be very good on a clear day, but may be inefficient on a rainy day, or outright dangerous if the wind is in he wrong direction. On the other hand that same rain could be good in masking our movements, launch a night attack on an enemy camp. I have heard another person, named Jing Yi should be joining us and it sounds like they are quite proficient with such raids.

Thus we must remain open to opportunities: we can go with either the ambush, the night raid, or the very careful approach depending on how the situation looks. The problem with the stealthy plan is that while it is the safest, by targeting the small groups we are unlikely to find someone too important there. This will limit the information we can learn.

One thing we still have not discussed is the equipment. The garrison's armoury has some 3,000 bows and should any plan require, we could perhaps equip a few dozen men from our troop with them.

OOC:As far as I can tell, the cautious approach is low risk/lower reward, so the results we can get would be locked out. So I would rather take the active version. Jing Yi (Kakirot's PC) has raid so we should have a good skill coverage for active.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Han1977 » 14 Feb 2017, 16:02

Huang Dong bowed apologetically to Liao Ju when he heard Liao Ju planned to withdraw from the team, "Wait a minute... uhm... I don't want to ruin what already a good team. Besides, we all, Wan's defender, will have a better chance to gain information if we send several teams."

"... I feel bad, if my proposal caused Master Liao withdraw from the team. After all, I came later in the team and since this team still have another member, I think three leader is more than enough to execute the plan. Too many cooks ruin the soup. Perhaps it is better if I try to find other team, maybe there are teams who need my skill and have similar idea."

"Let's have a competition, whoever win the competition, Wan will gain the benefit. Gentlemen, please excuse me. Let me wish the best for you."

OOC:: It seem Liu Shentong taking the cautious version and still need a team member. Btw, have you pm sir ebrum? There is a chance that our plot doesn't really matter.
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby ShadInquis » 14 Feb 2017, 16:22

Sending more teams is perfectly fine. But your aren't planning to leave are you? The troops are still in the garrison until day the teams leave. We can clear a nearby desk in this rooms so you could look at the planning aspect for the more cautious teams.

Ideally I would like all the volunteer gather in this room, to ensure each team has the correct skill set. We may need to shuffle people between teams as necessary.

OOC: Will email Ebrum. TBH, by original plan was not so much plot writing as simply assembling the largest number of optimal teams with good skill spreads and minimum duplicate skills.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Next

Return to Simzhou