KT ideas thread

Re: KT ideas thread

Postby ShadInquis » 24 Apr 2017, 21:58

UnholyBlade wrote:Is our economy actually based on the villages outside of the walls, or are they just a target for armies to roll through and plunder? I assumed the infrastructure of our city was just produced from the city itself, as are any subsequent buildings that we construct, rather than actually having a place on the map as a target to be exploited/defended. I still think producing bows first would be smart.

As far as I understand, sieges prevent harvests, thus theoretically starving the defending army out.

As for villages, pillaging them gives gold/food to the pillager. I always assumed that directly or indirectly this comes out of the city (otherwise it would be exploitable, and there would be no reason not to loot your own villages). The rules vaguely mention "bad consequences" but do not specify.

Rebel wrote:No siege weapons on enemy. Only 45 bows. As long as our army gets trained and stays on walls and doesn't move out, we would be able to defend easily.
I would assume the enemy has at least a couple of officers with flood or military engineer, so they can spam the relevant tactic to slowly take apart the wall/gate.

But the worst part is that there is no way out of this. If we sit behind walls, even if the enemy don't attack, we still get weaker (by sheer depletion of food to keep an army raised, if nothing else), the enemy gets stronger. It's solid delaying tactic if we had to just wait for reinforcements, but if we are on our own, sitting behind walls is just delaying the inevitable.

How does mobilize work? If the enemy uses mobilize this KT, will we be informed during civil phase and also need to use mobilize action in KT to put units on map? Or can defenders mobilize after the invading force starts marching out of their city?
According to the rules, mobilising happens in Civil Phase of the game (so same time as PT, not KT recording it under KT is purely for record keeping).
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Rebel » 25 Apr 2017, 10:27

They would need to get close enough to tunnel or flood. Archers on walls can cover that range?

What if we don't sit behind walls but on walls and throw arrows and ploys targeting dangerous enemy officers first?

We have officers who can cause flood. If enemy comes through water. We can flood them before they get close.
Sun Xiang
Current Stats: 70-30-81-77-70
Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Previously: Huang Xiong (196, August) Styled: LiRen
Rebel
Officer With Many Posts

Postby ShadInquis » 25 Apr 2017, 11:44

OOC: This is Ding Ma RP all over again...

Rebel wrote:They would need to get close enough to tunnel or flood. Archers on walls can cover that range?
No. For tunnel: 3 tiles range. For flood 3 tiles range (with restriction that both he acting unit and target tile be adjacent to water)
What if we don't sit behind walls but on walls and throw arrows and ploys targeting dangerous enemy officers first?
We don't have that many archers and the enemy is not necessarily even going to be in range. There are not that many ploys which can be used from walls and damage enemies significantly, most of them have "does not go through mountains, closed gates, or walls" in the description. There is one good ploy which does go through walls. "Open Gates". But that one is not in our favor.
We have officers who can cause flood. If enemy comes through water. We can flood them before they get close.

If you want to use flood, you need to be outside the city.

All I am trying to show, that while siege without siege weapons is difficult, it is certainly possible, especially given 3:1 numerical odds and more equipment. If I was playing the rebels, I would consider this a viable strategy. I would also consider other possibilities, like sending a smaller force, maybe only 150-ish in size. Not to siege, but purely to raid the villages for income, and come back in full force in summer.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Han1977 » 01 May 2017, 07:13

ShadInquis wrote:...And if they do a full draft and start the invasion in spring we are looking at 120 troops vs 320. It's not impossible to beat of course, but it would be very very difficult.

The one with larger number of troops + better training stat will win the battle. 320 vs 120, the 320 will always win the battle.

I don't think I ever see any dramatic result of battle in this sim. It's always a realistic result, sometimes covered with dramatic rp. But never expect something out of 300 movies, or Nobunaga's victory
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-61-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 52
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby Sir Ebrum » 07 May 2017, 14:01

A few points of information to help with decision-making:

:arrow: Xiang Yang is the staging area for a whole rebel army that is being newly formed. The rebels will move manpower, supplies, etc into the city from outside, at the expense of their operations elsewhere.
:arrow: You too may petition the capital for more resources, also at the expense of the other armies.
:arrow: As a newly-formed army on what has so far in the war been the least-important front, the level of leadership in Xiang Yang is poor.
:arrow: Remember that in the clash of patrols Team Simzhou won 3/3. Just because you are aware that the rebel forces are superior (thanks to free spy attempts) doesn't mean the rebels are necessarily aware...yet.
Sun Liren (54) ~ 55*-57*-81*-108*-107* ~
Acumen, Architect(e), Articulate, Charming, Farmer, Invent, Propaganda(e), Rally(e), Riot(e)

"By GM fiat, you are not allowed to perform that action. Your character's Wisdom score is too high."
Sir Ebrum
Dangerous Cartographer
Dangerous Cartographer

Kingdom: Team Green

Postby ShadInquis » 07 May 2017, 21:29

Thanks! Some more thoughts for us planning folks.

:arrow: Xiang Yang is the staging area for a whole rebel army that is being newly formed. The rebels will move manpower, supplies, etc into the city from outside, at the expense of their operations elsewhere.

So potentially, the rebel army could get bigger and get things that their city economy would no allow. Ouch.
But potentially, if our troops elsewhere do well and have spare stuff, we can get some extra stuff.
:arrow: You too may petition the capital for more resources, also at the expense of the other armies.

Hmm. This is an interesting idea, but the potential cost of losing the imperial capital can be great. I guess this could be a way out of "being 50 gold short of building X city improvement".
:arrow: As a newly-formed army on what has so far in the war been the least-important front, the level of leadership in Xiang Yang is poor.
The level of their commandant indicated as much. Then again they do seem to have a very good prefect. And from the bit of info earlier they could be getting new officers from outside.
:arrow: Remember that in the clash of patrols Team Simzhou won 3/3. Just because you are aware that the rebel forces are superior (thanks to free spy attempts) doesn't mean the rebels are necessarily aware...yet.
That is an good thing to consider. I guess it depends on how the rebel spy attempts go from their KT. If they fail, then they may hold off the attack. But with all the refugees going running around, I imagine it's only a matter of time that the rebels learn of the state Wan was in January.

->Sir Ebrum: A minor idea. We have way more officers than the city will actually use, and a few of those are inactive. Is it possible to "loan" these inactive officers to other fronts:
A. From a game mechanic perspective: we lose the usage of these officers, but no longer have to pay their salary, making our financial situation better.
B. If these officers come back, they get some skill/stat exp for the number of PTs/KTs they were absent, to allow them to use their established officers again, and not feel crippled by earlier inactivity.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Silverwarp » 08 May 2017, 00:44

Based on what SirEbrum said, I'm wondering if we can have an audience with the emperor or with whomever is in charge of the military. It would be good if we share have intelligence sharing with the emperor's forces so we have an idea of what they're up against and whether they should spare some officers, soldiers, or arms to us or if as ShadInquis said, spare some inactive officers to them if allowed.

We still don't know if they're intention is to bypass Wan to attach Luo Yang, so I wouldn't say they would attack us just yet. Perhaps there might be a diversionary force in the coming months to draw our attacks while the main attack force could head to Luo Yang. In any case, I think we'll have to balance how much force we want to have before we attack, since they haven't built up a large force with competent officers yet.

Perhaps Sir Ebrum can answer what would be considered active officers for the purposes of the KT.
V6 Pre-Game Character, Su Yu, 159 (31)
V5 Character, Su Sheng, July 196 (25)
V4 Character, Su Sheng, 172 (22)
V3 Character, Su Kang, 175 (21)
Silverwarp
Really Old Officer

Kingdom: Free Agent

Postby ShadInquis » 08 May 2017, 07:55

I think it's basically a given that we at least inform Luo Yang of the intel we gathered.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Rebel » 08 May 2017, 17:27

I actually suggested that we ask more resources from Luo Yang because of the large officer salaries in an RP. Kinda did it in a frustrated tone but yeah. At least a 1000 gold would help the city draft more troops AND allow the construction of the suggested buildings.
Sun Xiang
Current Stats: 70-30-81-77-70
Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Previously: Huang Xiong (196, August) Styled: LiRen
Rebel
Officer With Many Posts

Postby cjh1k2004 » 08 May 2017, 17:37

On the topic of officer salaries, actually - why is it that Wan is obligated to hire all the officers in the city? Can't we just not use a few people in the KT so we pay less salaries, and give them free officer AP to compensate?
Jiang Yan V6 Pregame (21)
90-81-60-30-29
Counter, Leader(e), Loyalty, Missile, Valor, Volley
Head of Internal Security (Military Rank 1)
Co-starring the two little sisters Jiang Liyan (shared with Kun Tiao) and Jiang Meixiu (played by Kun Tiao)!
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Miao! And now Wan!

Postby ShadInquis » 08 May 2017, 19:08

cjh1k2004 wrote:On the topic of officer salaries, actually - why is it that Wan is obligated to hire all the officers in the city? Can't we just not use a few people in the KT so we pay less salaries, and give them free officer AP to compensate?

As per rules in the pre-game, everyone is an officer. That's why from PT1 we never had free AP. Once our economy kicks in, salary would not be as much of an issue.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Mat » 08 May 2017, 20:26

I was going to suggest we have an officer activity thread sometime before the first KT is due. A fair amount of the player base has gone inactive and I'd prefer not to shell out gold on inactive players/officers.
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Sir Ebrum » 08 May 2017, 23:10

For KT purposes, nobody goes inactive in the pregame, once they post their OI you can use them for as long as they live.
Of course, truly active players are more valuable the longer the game goes, but many v6 buildings benefit a lot just from having warm bodies...
Sun Liren (54) ~ 55*-57*-81*-108*-107* ~
Acumen, Architect(e), Articulate, Charming, Farmer, Invent, Propaganda(e), Rally(e), Riot(e)

"By GM fiat, you are not allowed to perform that action. Your character's Wisdom score is too high."
Sir Ebrum
Dangerous Cartographer
Dangerous Cartographer

Kingdom: Team Green

Postby Han1977 » 09 May 2017, 07:43

Personally, I don't mind playing as a free officer. Maybe we can have one special thread for Wan's officer list? So those who wish to work for the kingdom post there and those who don't are free officers.

Free one could get their extra AP and the kingdom wouldn't be burdened by too many officers.
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-61-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 52
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby cjh1k2004 » 09 May 2017, 11:00

Han1977 wrote:Personally, I don't mind playing as a free officer. Maybe we can have one special thread for Wan's officer list? So those who wish to work for the kingdom post there and those who don't are free officers.

Free one could get their extra AP and the kingdom wouldn't be burdened by too many officers.

I second this motion. I get the whole idea that simzhou is supposed to be inclusive and a testbed for V6 mechanics, but I don't think it's a very good approximation of mechanics to have a starting city with tons and tons of un-fireable officers... Or at least give the players a choice to just be in Wan and not have to work for the administration.
Jiang Yan V6 Pregame (21)
90-81-60-30-29
Counter, Leader(e), Loyalty, Missile, Valor, Volley
Head of Internal Security (Military Rank 1)
Co-starring the two little sisters Jiang Liyan (shared with Kun Tiao) and Jiang Meixiu (played by Kun Tiao)!
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Miao! And now Wan!

PreviousNext

Return to Simzhou