Wan City Main Hall Roleplay

Re: Wan City Main Hall Roleplay

Postby Chen Ping » 22 Jul 2017, 06:08

"Thank you for the warm welcome, Master Cai!"

Chen bowed and took seat, graciously accepting the wine. He was surprised to receive an invitation to the city hall, and even more surprised by his host's inquiry.

"Improvements, eh? I'm afraid I haven't given much thought to any ideas. Life has been good, mostly."

He scratched his head and scrunched his face, slightly dumbfounded as he searched his mind for ideas. However, after some thinking, coherent thoughts began to form in Chen's mind, sort of.

"Well, these days haven't been kind for business, that's for certain! Come to think of it, I've spent more time patrolling the streets than running the shop, and yet nothing improves. Could be due to the riots, the periodic corpse displays, or maybe the fact that shops now are popular places to hold violent brawls. Either way, customers and fellow shopkeepers alike seem a bit wary of staying out for too long, even when things manage to calm down."

"Master Cai, Is there anything the administration can do to help the people feel safe and calm? I suppose it'll just take time for tensions to lower, but if there's anything we can do to spark it, I would offer my full service!"
Chen Ping (28): 53-85-61-31-92*
Artisan; Charming; Duelist (e); Fortunate; Medic
-FRIEND OF HUA TUO-
Chen Ping
Middle Aged Officer

Kingdom: boop

Postby Xu Yuan » 22 Jul 2017, 12:23

(OOC: Thanks for waiting on the reply Chen Ping until the Third Crisis. it allows Cai Bin to respond with some substantial solutions, hehe)

The elder listened carefully to what the merchant had to say and slowly nodded his head. As his guest finished speaking, Cai Bin took a long sip of his wine, nearly finishing the cup, it was clear the pressures of the day were starting to wear on him. "Captain Jiang's careless destruction of life coupled with his parade of death..." Cai Bin shrugged, "It is ancient practice to put the executed on display in the marketplace as a clear example and I even defended this in a pamphlet versus that Recorder. At the time I was unaware that... in fact..." He sighed, lightly shaking his head, "The people killed were not the abductors, but were liaisons, moved by force and coercion to attend to the trade of Xiaoquan Shen by their bandit handlers. When I heard that, my heart sank. Captain Jiang had to have known this and yet...!" The same doubt flooded through Cai Bin's mind, "If only I had been there... I could have settled the affair without a drop of blood spilled, then we may not have the madness which followed that action. The Noble Advisor Zhou took his failure with little grace and has stopped attending meetings and audience requests, he was not ready for this responsibility and I should have seen this."

He shook his melancholy away and his voice returned to the strong statesman he strove so hard to portray, "The riots are another issue all together. I'm sure you've heard of this false Emperor Li Shixian or whatever he calls himself. We have intelligence that he may be the cause of the continual disturbances. We have good reason to believe his agents run rampant throughout the city and they continue to stir the people's unrest which is already in a tenuous position. We are assembling a team of highly skilled investigators and men of subtlety to attend to this course."

The elder shut his eyes and arced his hands underneath his beard as he seemed deep in thought, "You refer to the incidents with the Fishmonger and the undermining of the Officer's abilities who failed to apprehend him? I assume that his brazen displays have broken law and order throughout the markets and now people look down upon the guards and pay them little heed." A small smile showed on the minister's face as he continued. "But do not fear, Master Chen. It so happens that the Administration has taken full notice of the disturbances and with the return of the Grand Administrator we have begun to formulate counter plots to settle the affairs of the city, outside of the usual methods of placation." As if on cue, the young girl that was given a large amount of scrolls by the weaselly Aide moved to the side of the desk and put down several scrolls in front of the merchant.

The scrolls were titled, To Win the Hearts of the Multitudes, Disrupting the Rebel's Propaganda, Observe the movements of the Rebels, Attend to the Economy, Move to the Heart and Intervene in the Riots. "There are many plans in place and it would be a fine day to have you assisting us in these matters. I am conflicted on which action to take, if I may be honest. I realize that my talents would lay in rallying the people, but I was the first official to speak to the rioters and it seemed, at the time, that my words had a large effect, disbanding the first riots for a time. I am wary of the danger though..." He glanced over to the cane made of some unique white material lying by the desk. "I am not as strong a man as I once was."
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Gold: 4
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Han

Postby Chen Ping » 24 Jul 2017, 23:33

Xu Yuan wrote:(OOC: Thanks for waiting on the reply Chen Ping until the Third Crisis. it allows Cai Bin to respond with some substantial solutions, hehe)

The elder listened carefully to what the merchant had to say and slowly nodded his head. As his guest finished speaking, Cai Bin took a long sip of his wine, nearly finishing the cup, it was clear the pressures of the day were starting to wear on him. "Captain Jiang's careless destruction of life coupled with his parade of death..." Cai Bin shrugged, "It is ancient practice to put the executed on display in the marketplace as a clear example and I even defended this in a pamphlet versus that Recorder. At the time I was unaware that... in fact..." He sighed, lightly shaking his head, "The people killed were not the abductors, but were liaisons, moved by force and coercion to attend to the trade of Xiaoquan Shen by their bandit handlers. When I heard that, my heart sank. Captain Jiang had to have known this and yet...!" The same doubt flooded through Cai Bin's mind, "If only I had been there... I could have settled the affair without a drop of blood spilled, then we may not have the madness which followed that action. The Noble Advisor Zhou took his failure with little grace and has stopped attending meetings and audience requests, he was not ready for this responsibility and I should have seen this."

He shook his melancholy away and his voice returned to the strong statesman he strove so hard to portray, "The riots are another issue all together. I'm sure you've heard of this false Emperor Li Shixian or whatever he calls himself. We have intelligence that he may be the cause of the continual disturbances. We have good reason to believe his agents run rampant throughout the city and they continue to stir the people's unrest which is already in a tenuous position. We are assembling a team of highly skilled investigators and men of subtlety to attend to this course."

The elder shut his eyes and arced his hands underneath his beard as he seemed deep in thought, "You refer to the incidents with the Fishmonger and the undermining of the Officer's abilities who failed to apprehend him? I assume that his brazen displays have broken law and order throughout the markets and now people look down upon the guards and pay them little heed." A small smile showed on the minister's face as he continued. "But do not fear, Master Chen. It so happens that the Administration has taken full notice of the disturbances and with the return of the Grand Administrator we have begun to formulate counter plots to settle the affairs of the city, outside of the usual methods of placation." As if on cue, the young girl that was given a large amount of scrolls by the weaselly Aide moved to the side of the desk and put down several scrolls in front of the merchant.

The scrolls were titled, To Win the Hearts of the Multitudes, Disrupting the Rebel's Propaganda, Observe the movements of the Rebels, Attend to the Economy, Move to the Heart and Intervene in the Riots. "There are many plans in place and it would be a fine day to have you assisting us in these matters. I am conflicted on which action to take, if I may be honest. I realize that my talents would lay in rallying the people, but I was the first official to speak to the rioters and it seemed, at the time, that my words had a large effect, disbanding the first riots for a time. I am wary of the danger though..." He glanced over to the cane made of some unique white material lying by the desk. "I am not as strong a man as I once was."

Chen nodded. "Well said, Master Cai. I do hope we can improve our reputation...and limit any self-inflicted wounds heheh."

He briefly scanned the scrolls before him, then eagerly pointed to the first one.

"Perhaps I can help with the winning the hearts plan! I'm no orator, but I do have more in common with the townsfolk than a regular city official would have. And...I've also helped many individuals, whether through doctoring or keeping the streets safe. Why, one family gifted me a family heirloom after saving them from the evil Wild Pandas gang! The people may listen to me speak, or at least not raise a torch against me!"
-FRIEND OF HUA TUO-
Chen Ping
Middle Aged Officer

Postby Xu Yuan » 25 Jul 2017, 02:50

Cai Bin nodded his head in understanding, "I have hope that the situation with the Captain will be dealt with in the coming days. I must discuss the situation with the Grand Administrator. He has only recently returned from his patrols of the countryside and there is much to report to him.

A small smile showed as Chen Ping made his intentions known. "Wisely chosen Master Chen! Your name has quickly spread through Wan as a merchant of trust and a caring doctor. You literally rescued the Senior Minister Jia from the claws of death in Xiangyang and you have befriended the greatest healer our land currently knows in Hua Tuo, your reputation begins to precede you and I cannot help but think Heaven drew you to Wan from the South in her most desperate hours. I have no doubt that your efforts in providing the people with moral succor will see great success."

With matters of state out of the way, he cleared his throat as his countenance became more relaxed with another long sip of his wine. "You mentioned a family heirloom Master Chen, would this be the Black Onyx Elephant Pendant that the reports say you have received? Regardless of the case, that was the main crux of why I summoned you here. That is quite an item you have attained. I must reiterate I care little for ostentation, but I know well the symbolic power of these baubles. The market price of such a jewel is 400 taels, therefore name a reasonable price. I will see where we can draw a compromise." The elder smiled softly as he waited upon the Merchant's response.
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby Chen Ping » 26 Jul 2017, 04:43

"Master Cai, thank you for your encouragement; I will do my best! Meanwhile, I wish you well in whatever city improvement action you do in the upcoming days. I'm sure the outcome will be favorable."

Chen bowed.

"As for your inquiry, you are correct! Indeed, I recently cleaned up a small neighborhood in the industrial district and received the elephant pendant as a result. And, while I recognize its monetary and symbolic value, I view it more as good luck charm than anything. However, if you are daring enough to re-enter the riots, I feel you might need this pendant more than I do!"

After some banter, he returned to business.

"Anyway, as you are a kind and honorable acquaintance, I would be happy to trade this item to you. Is 300 taels a suitable price? It's as steep as a discount as I would offer to anyone, but I do humbly request the administration consider having more frequent patrols in the less well-off districts, if at all possible. Or, if that's too much, perhaps provide me an occasional guard or two to accompany my weekly patrols. I promise not to insult any fishmongers and risk losing any more soldiers hahaha!"
-FRIEND OF HUA TUO-
Chen Ping
Middle Aged Officer

Postby Xu Yuan » 26 Jul 2017, 13:35

The elder looked down at his desk, scrolls outline the continuing destruction around the him. A look of shame passed over his face and he began to speak listlessly. "For several generations I have held the people's support, even during the Yellow Turban Rebellion and its aftermath I never lost popular appeal, even though I was one of the evacuees. Throughout the former Magistrate's tenure I was the bridge between the Administration and the people. That the Grand Administrator has attained his rank is more to do with the support of the common folk than with any other measure. To see my work and reputation undone in such a short period is humbling. I had intended to either Rally the People or Challenge the Enemy's Propaganda, yet... my failure to quell the riot from the start haunts me."

The Senior Advisor beamed proudly towards the Merchant. "Your worries for the common people is heartening. As of this time I would be wary on sending in patrols to well-known poor districts in the fear that those forced into those circumstances will view the guards not as safety, but as oppressors and perhaps lead by the tumult of the day, dare to lay their hands upon them. To have the bloods of innocents on my hands is something I must avoid. As for personal guards, I can lend you two of my Estate Soldiers. They are men of Xiongnu bearing, but I assure you that they are as trustworthy as they come. Their grandfather and his clan were devoted servants of the Cai clan in Luo Yang..." There was a flash of something in Cai Bin's eyes for a brief moment, was it a sad remembrance, a regret, perhaps both? Absent-mindedly he adjusted his cap, which bore proof that he once served in the Imperial Court. "They have supported me well in these scores of years." Cai Bin inhaled deeply and looked deep in thought before he lightly exhaled, a soft smile returning to his well-preserved features. "Yes... I have decided then. With your encouragement, I will re-enter the riots and act once more as a peacekeeper. I shall redeem myself and our city."

The elder nodded his head. "I agree with the terms provided, Master Chen Ping." He turned to a young Aide, of no older than 20. "Luo, take 300 taels from the Estate and deliver it safely to Master Chen's lodgings. Take Ruluo and Fanyin and assign them to the protection of Master Chen and his family." Cai Bin blinked lightly, trying to remember something and failing in doing so, "If there's a family to protect, of course." The young man bowed and quickly left the office.

Cai Bin pays 300 taels for the Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha)!
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby Chen Ping » 29 Jul 2017, 02:07

"Thank you for your generous assistance, Master Cai. I'm not a great warrior and will certainly appreciate Ruluo and Fanyin's presence on my patrols. These two look as if they could stop any evildoer without even swinging a blade!"

Chen gave a warm smile, quite happy at the minister's help. Oddly, criminals were not intimidated by a stylish scarf-sporting man such as Chen, so he was very grateful to have a couple comrades accompany his now-routine patrols. Without hesitating, he bowed to Cai and continued expressing his gratitude.

"If you ever need anything, please feel free to visit my shop. Or...maybe it's a clinic, I can't tell these days heheh! I might not be able to help you much with repairing this city, but I can always help repair your garments or body should you need it. Either way, you are welcome to visit for whatever purpose."

After finishing, Chen clasped his hands and nodded his head in respect.

"If there is no other business to discuss, I will return home and start planning the rally. Meanwhile, I wish you the best of luck with calming the riots, Master Cai!"
-FRIEND OF HUA TUO-
Chen Ping
Middle Aged Officer

Previous

Return to Simzhou