Wan City Garrison Roleplay

Re: Wan City Garrison Roleplay

Postby Dong Zhou » 17 Feb 2017, 09:44

Bradums wrote:
[OOC: Sorry! Sorrrrry! I was on vacation for a week without a computer, but I'm back in full swing.]

With a laugh, Liang ran a hand across his neatly pulled-back hair. "I think I'd look stately with white hair," he joked, "But I see your point. I'm still new to the world at large, I guess you could say. It'll take me some time to get used to this."

Sighing slightly, he lamented the situation a bit. As he said, he wasn't much of a participant in Wan's everyday affairs. The young noble was fairly sheltered until being sheltered was no longer a possibility.

"It's true...we've had some issues. Corruption seems to be a plague, in Wan and elsewhere. It's hard to trust our officials to do the right thing, especially after the previous magistrate abandoned everyone and took a small fortune with him," Zhou Liang admitted.

Gesturing with a subtle hand movement toward the training conscripts, he went on to say, "It doesn't help that on top of all that, we have a rebel army preparing to invade Wan, but I like to think there's room for hope. We'll soon have a new magistrate, new officials, and our backs will be up against the wall. It's literally a 'do or die' scenario. We'll either come out stronger for it, or we'll all burn together."

It sounded grim, but he was a realist, not a poet or a motivational speaker. The truth was in the verbage...Wan was essentially cleaning house and starting fresh with a new administration, for the most part, and a new 'army'. Either they'd benefit from the rebirth or the rebels would destroy them all. There was no middle ground, so there was no reason to stress over the variables or hypotheticals.

OC: I hope it was a good vacation!

Li Jun peered at Zhou Liang as she tried to imagine him with white hair. In middle age? She could see him looking stately but it would be a sign that his body was about to age, his muscles likely turn to flab, his limbs creaking, wrinkles beginning to emerge. Being a civil officer, she wondered if he would grow fat without his youthful studies.

Realizing she may have been staring a little too long, she looked away at the training soldiers. While she doubted the city was clean of the corrupt, Zhou Liang was right that the impending war and the fresh blood could unite the city if the higher ups played their cards right. It would be their second chance after the Turban years and that time didn't seem to have brought benefit to the city.

"If we win, that would be another chance. We didn't seize the aftermath of the Turbans to clean up and rebuild the city, I'm not sure we will get anymore chances if we don't prove in the aftermath of the rebel invasion that we can do better, we can make Wan a city to be proud of."
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 90-61-70-30-60 Skills: Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby Bradums » 17 Feb 2017, 13:12

Dong Zhou wrote:OC: I hope it was a good vacation!

Li Jun peered at Zhou Liang as she tried to imagine him with white hair. In middle age? She could see him looking stately but it would be a sign that his body was about to age, his muscles likely turn to flab, his limbs creaking, wrinkles beginning to emerge. Being a civil officer, she wondered if he would grow fat without his youthful studies.

Realizing she may have been staring a little too long, she looked away at the training soldiers. While she doubted the city was clean of the corrupt, Zhou Liang was right that the impending war and the fresh blood could unite the city if the higher ups played their cards right. It would be their second chance after the Turban years and that time didn't seem to have brought benefit to the city.

"If we win, that would be another chance. We didn't seize the aftermath of the Turbans to clean up and rebuild the city, I'm not sure we will get anymore chances if we don't prove in the aftermath of the rebel invasion that we can do better, we can make Wan a city to be proud of."

[OOC: Disneyland and such with the family. It was awesome. Thanks!]

Crossing his armed in front of his chest, Liang nodded.

"I think we'll do it. The conditions seem right. We have some dedicated officers training a new defense force, we'll soon have a new magistrate free from the corrupt ties of the last administration, and an inrush of new civil officers will likely put a damper on any corruption that remains," he spoke, sounding fairly confident.

Obviously, the whole 'invading army' thing was a big hurdle to jump first, but there was only so many times you could mention impending doom while trying to be positive about your message, and positivity was kind of key at this stage of the game.

"I suppose that's one benefit to me being in the civil offices, right? Imagine having me in a room with all those old ministers. I would imagine the subterfuge and illegal dealings would see a sudden decrease," Liang joked with a chuckle.
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby Dong Zhou » 18 Feb 2017, 07:09

OC: Sounds fantastic

Zhou Liang was clearly more confident then her about the civil office who had not exactly ran Wan well in recent years would turn around and start behaving. Maybe he was right, new figures like him and a new leader might force change, knowing they could not do the same old things. Or they hide it from the new leader and corrupt the new officers...

Still, she didn't want to suggest Zhou Liang would be corrupted to his face and so she smiled

"Indeed. I'm not sure civil officers will know how to cope with a strong man who isn't a guard, it might confuse them. Particularly if you start practising your warrior training in front of them during a meeting. Next we would just need a guard who can quote philosophers to them and we can get rid of corruption by making heads explode."

Li Jun (160) 90-61-70-30-60 Skills: Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Bradums » 20 Feb 2017, 19:32

"Well, then, I suppose I'll be a terrible fit regardless of where I end up being posted," the young man replied with a smile, "I'll either be a noble fighting in the military, or a warrior serving in the civil courts. I don't envy whoever has to figure out where to place me."

He was joking, of course, but he did feel a slight twinge of disappointment. The fact was, he wasn't experienced or prepared for the military branch; and he was too sheltered and focused on the martial arts to be a prime candidate for a civil office. He was perfectly acceptable to both groups, but not a natural fit for either.

"Speaking of which, I think I've done more than enough to these poor men today. Especially as one with no given authority to do so. Captain Li, I appreciate your patience and the time you've given to speaking with me," Liang offered with a polite bow, "Most people either want me to leave but are too afraid to ask, or they try to cling on to me because of my family name and treat me like some common fool. It's...refreshing...to have a real conversation for once."

It was a surprisingly heartfelt admittance from the young noble, who was characterized by his emotions being more or less closed off from view. Clearly, he wasn't used to conversations that didn't serve some social or political purpose, or that were subtle jousts of status or intellect. For a young man trying to integrate himself as just another citizen of Wan, this conversation was a pleasant surprise.

"I'll take my leave, for now. I might linger around the garrison from time to time, but if you ever need me, feel free to ask. Even if it's just for another conversation," the noble offered.

Pending her response, the man gave a firm salute to the troops he had been berated some moments prior and left the grounds.
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby UnholyBlade » 20 Feb 2017, 20:28

Xu Yuan wrote:Cjh1k2004, UnholyBlade, ShadInquis

The young man had said he would seek help from a Mystic, but there still seemed to be this longing to communicate with this "other" him since it is what had given him his skills and abilities. There was inherent danger in this, but Cai Bin realized that he could not move the Captain's mind on this aspect. He sighed lightly and gave a sympathetic gaze towards the "Mad Captain". "Do not suffer in silence. We will help see you through this. If you feel you must maintain this bond, then there is nothing I can do, since this has occurred though with a potentially dreadful outcome, it has shown the vigilance you must take to guard against this other being's influence. I am pleased to hear that you will seek the aid of a Mystic to help you." Cai Bin rubbed his white wispy beard, wracking his mind for any priest, magician, or sage that he personally knew, but they are all often aloof fellows and he had not been seen for some time.

Jiang Yan's mention of his purpose today seemed to awaken Cai Bin from a reverie. "Oh! Yes, of course. I came today to inquire about a rumor I heard from one of my Aides. They mentioned that there's tale of a lady warrior who is not properly part of the Garrison, nor yet an officer of the city who is chiefly seen by your side who is known to challenge the troops to single combat. As you may know I am gathering records of all people of talent within Wan as we will need the assistance of all people to challenge the rebels, everyone must exert their utmost." He looked to the ceiling as an amused look showed. "It wouldn't be Lady Jiang would it?" She didn't look the part of a warrior, but looks can be deceiving.

He glanced toward Liyan, by her brother. "I see your sister has become popular." he said flatly. "Do you remember where she is?" Dai Ren explained that he was on his way to the armory when he and Liyan detoured to see him. "That reminds me. Liyan, you brought that potion for the captain, did you not?"
Dai Ren(26) 87-71-80-20-30
Counter, Fortunate, Leader(e), Loyalty, Reversal, Volley
Current RPs - 0
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Granseal

Postby Dong Zhou » 21 Feb 2017, 09:35

Bradums wrote:"Well, then, I suppose I'll be a terrible fit regardless of where I end up being posted," the young man replied with a smile, "I'll either be a noble fighting in the military, or a warrior serving in the civil courts. I don't envy whoever has to figure out where to place me."

He was joking, of course, but he did feel a slight twinge of disappointment. The fact was, he wasn't experienced or prepared for the military branch; and he was too sheltered and focused on the martial arts to be a prime candidate for a civil office. He was perfectly acceptable to both groups, but not a natural fit for either.

"Speaking of which, I think I've done more than enough to these poor men today. Especially as one with no given authority to do so. Captain Li, I appreciate your patience and the time you've given to speaking with me," Liang offered with a polite bow, "Most people either want me to leave but are too afraid to ask, or they try to cling on to me because of my family name and treat me like some common fool. It's...refreshing...to have a real conversation for once."

It was a surprisingly heartfelt admittance from the young noble, who was characterized by his emotions being more or less closed off from view. Clearly, he wasn't used to conversations that didn't serve some social or political purpose, or that were subtle jousts of status or intellect. For a young man trying to integrate himself as just another citizen of Wan, this conversation was a pleasant surprise.

"I'll take my leave, for now. I might linger around the garrison from time to time, but if you ever need me, feel free to ask. Even if it's just for another conversation," the noble offered.

Pending her response, the man gave a firm salute to the troops he had been berated some moments prior and left the grounds.

Li Jun gave a reassuring smile as he joked about being terrible fit for either role. As he preprepared to leave, she returned the bow and gave a warm smile, she had enjoyed the conversation. Unlike most nobles she had spent time with, very reluctantly, he had been pleasant and he had put up with her ways which she was grateful for.

"I'm sure you will find where you are best used and make a happy life out of it. I look forward to meeting you again and don't worry, I'm always easy to find if you wish to talk."

As Zhou Liang left her instincts took over and perhaps he would hear her returning to the training of the troops, her mind already having focused elsewhere.

Officer Profile

Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Han1977 » 10 Mar 2017, 23:07

One Sun Mirror, also wonder if Suicide Fox could join to.

Despite his constant complains about being too old and having bad joints, Huang Dong arrived at the training ground early in the morning. It wasn't his first visit, but it will be the first time for him to visit it as a military officer. Waving the seal he recently received from Cai Bin, he asked around if people saw Gongsun Ji and where he trained the soldiers.

'Well, at least I have something to show of. I wonder if I could sell it for a copper in the market. I can't believe I put myself in this business once more.', Huang Dong put the seal on his belt.

He got the direction from a group of soldiers who were patrolling the barrack. Still quietly converse with himself, he wasted no time to see Gongsun Ji.

OOC:: I wonder if I could try to duel Jian Bian for 5 rounds. I'd like to see whether my PC could survive an ad-hoc duel.
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-60-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 3
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby One Sun Mirror » 14 Mar 2017, 03:41

Han1977

Gongsun Ji marched out to the training yards in the early morning ahead of a band of bleary eyed youths. Some of them had donned armour of some kind, others had simply turned up wearing whatever they could get their hands on. Spying Huang Dong waiting at the head of the training yard, Gongsun Ji was inwardly impressed that the man had indeed showed up. As the approached Dong, Ji announced to those following:

"Gentlemen! This man is Huang Dong, a man of worldly experience, well tested in the arts of patience, aging, and wagging his damned tongue. He and I shall demonstrate to you the importance of life-experiences, of training! Company, pay your respects!" The youths following Gongsun Ji, with varying levels of effort, brought their clasped hands out before them and bowed to the man before them.

Pacing sure-footedly over to Huang Dong, Ji nodded at him. "Whatever else I may say of you, your word is good and well intended. Thank you for coming out here this morning." Glancing down at the seal of office the other man wore, Ji added, "I hope you have somewhere safe to keep that, either on you or somewhere else. I intend for us to put on something of a martial display. Will you spar with me, sir?"
Gongsun Ji 83–53–75–17-77 Formation (e), Leader, Mobility, Raid, Scout
说曹操,曹操到
One Sun Mirror
Experienced Officer

Postby Han1977 » 14 Mar 2017, 08:04

One Sun Mirror

Huang Dong stood there a little bit awkwardly. He could feel the trainee's eyes fixed on him. With a glance he could see that they weren't part of those who were sent at previous skirmish. As he looked over those young faces, he sighed with a heavy heart. Most of them would die in the upcoming battle. Officers like him and Gongsun Ji would have a better chance to survive the worse. Part of him was burdened with guilt, but quickly he mentally shook it of.

'Once I was in their position too. It was depend on their own luck and effort, whether they survive or not.'

With that thought, he politely cupped his hand before his chest and lightly bowed to those soldiers in train.

He didn't shout, but spoke to them loud enough for them all to hear, " My name is Huang Dong, I'm happy to meet you all here. In the future, we might work together. Fighting side by side. I hope before that time come, we could learn to know each other."

"As you all know, we're facing the threat from the rebels in the south. Battle is a nasty business and I can't promise that you all will survive through it, but I sincerely hope that you all do. That's why I agree with Master Gongsun Ji to help him with your training. I hope you can learn as much as you can, from the little experience I have. Prepare yourself for the upcoming battle. Spare nothing at do your best, because your effort today, might make the difference later."

"One that decide whether you live or die."

---

At Gongsun Ji's sharp remark, he inwardly grinned mischievously, 'Is that how you're going to introduce me to them? Hmm... wagging my tongue... eh? Soon I'll show you how I wag my sword.'

Outwardly he politely bowed to Gongsun Ji and tighten the seal into his belt, "It will be my pleasure to spar with you Master Gongsun. Just as you wish, let's show them how a soldier should fight. Although I can't promise a good display. You know, my joints these days..."

OOC: I'll send the duel tactics to Xu Yuan, as soon as possible.
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby One Sun Mirror » 15 Mar 2017, 02:02

Han1977
Han1977 wrote:"As you all know, we're facing the threat from the rebels in the south. Battle is a nasty business and I can't promise that you all will survive through it, but I sincerely hope that you all do. That's why I agree with Master Gongsun Ji to help him with your training. I hope you can learn as much as you can, from the little experience I have. Prepare yourself for the upcoming battle. Spare nothing at do your best, because your effort today, might make the difference later."

"One that decide whether you live or die."

Gongsun Ji nodded approvingly of Huang Dong's words. Perhaps this fellow did know what he was talking about after all?

Han1977 wrote:"It will be my pleasure to spar with you Master Gongsun. Just as you wish, let's show them how a soldier should fight. Although I can't promise a good display. You know, my joints these days..."

Drawing a blunted training sword and pacing away from his opponent, Ji wondered to himself just how humble this man might be. He had seen what by appearances should be wizened old soldiers be as agile and sprightly as children, just as he had seen younger men who were slow and unwieldy. Age means nothing in war.

Bowing stiffly to his opponent, he offered the following words before the fight began; "I can promise a spectacle, one way or the other. Take note, young ones! Take note, Late Majesty! Take note, my son!"

OOC: Will send tactics to Xu Yuan soon. Thanks very much for helping out!
说曹操,曹操到
One Sun Mirror
Experienced Officer

Postby Xu Yuan » 16 Mar 2017, 17:21

Gongsun Ji and Huang Dong's Training Duel

The confrontation between the two aged men yesterday was leading up to this moment. They had agreed to settle their differences like warriors in a dueling arena when words had failed their purpose. Yet the only lasting injuries either would receive today would be a sting to their pride, regardless of its course. Both Huang Dong and Gongsun Ji were recent arrivals to the town of Wan. They knew nothing of one another, however their pasts were similar. These men had both grown sick of the corruption at the Courts and beyond. Huang Dong deserted his post and Gongsun Ji was dishonorably discharged through no fault of his own, suffering a fate worse than death by losing his child as a consequence. Both men have seen the worst that the flailing Han Dynasty has to offer, yet they both stand proud and serve Wan in heart and mind, protecting those who are most in need of defense. Their ideologies have clashed and the only course to follow was strength of arms to prove their point.

Round 1
Gongsun Ji: 100 HP 52 AP 52 War
Huang Dong: 100 HP 98 AP 58 War

As the battle began Gongsun Ji tapped into his fighting spirit, letting out a shout of such ferocity belying his aged frame that the soldiers in attendance began to quake with fear. Yet it did not move the other combatant who looked at his fellow officer with a dark and twisted expression, showing a more malevolent aura than his soft-spoken and formal mannerisms would lead one to believe. This sheer vitriol in Huang Dong's eyes set a chill down Gongsun Ji's spine, though he would likely never admit it. Gongsun Ji's Intimidate Failed! Huang Dong's Intimidate Success! Gongsun Ji -15 War!

Round 2
Gongsun Ji: 100 HP 22 AP 37 War
Huang Dong: 100 HP 68 AP 58 War

The Veteran made a mad dash towards the Frontiersman, his wooden sword trailing behind him, his eyes burning in cunning as he prepared for some trick. Gongsun Ji did not skip a beat as he quickly drew his bow and notched a blunt arrow, prepared to subvert whatever Huang Dong had planned. But the weaponmaster saw the move coming and quickly batted the arrow away. They had now closed in on one another, Gongsun Ji held his training sword at the ready, but the years may have worn on the older man as Huang Dong's rapid movements ripped the sword from Gongsun Ji's grasp! Gongsun Ji's Arrow Failed! Huang Dong's Disarm Succeeds! Gongsun Ji -10 War!

Round 3
Gongsun Ji: 100 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 100 HP 43 AP 58 War

Left with no recourse the old soldier walloped the other man with a strong right hook to the chest. -7 HP Huang Dong! Huang Dong recoiled before striking hard with his wooden blade into Gongsun Ji's shoulder -14 HP Gongsun Ji!

Round 4
Gongsun Ji: 86 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 93 HP 43 AP 58 War

Gongsun Ji shrugged off the pain in his shoulder as he struck his opponent square in the side with another punishing blow! -7 HP Huang Dong! The Veteran gasped as he tried to recover his breath, sensing weakness Gongsun Ji moved towards his opponent, ready to continue his onslaught, but it was a trap! With a fierce shine in his eyes Huang Dong circled around his opponent and swung hard on the officer's right leg! A crushing blow as Gongsun Ji stumbles and falls, but true to his military training he is back on his feet in an instant before Huang Dong could follow the strike! Huang Dong's Special Succeeds -23 HP Gongsun Ji!

Round 5
Gongsun Ji: 63 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 85 HP 03 AP 58 War

Both men were now out of clever tricks, but Huang Dong still had the upper hand by a fair margin, undeterred by this Gongsun Ji landed a series of punches on the exposed chest of Huang Dong, causing a legitimate loss of breath in the man! Critical Hit! -12 HP Huang Dong + Injury -12 War Huang Dong! Reeling from the strike, Huang Dong's rapid movements seemed to slow as his shallow breathing began to normalize. his next strikes were fluid, but lacked in the intensity of his first ones. Striking home, but no more than such. -10 HP Gongsun Ji!

Round 6
Gongsun Ji: 53 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 73 HP 03 AP 46 War

Feeling the momentum returned to his side Gongsun Ji moved to gain a further advantage. He aimed squarely for the jaw of the former Officer of the Capital, but Huang Dong was too quick, catching only his cheek in a glancing blow! -6 HP Huang Dong! Huang Dong moved in a sword dance, graceful, methodical, but he had hoped it would wear the other combatant down, it appeared to be doing its job. -12 HP Gongsun Ji!

Round 7
Gongsun Ji: 41 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 67 HP 03 AP 46 War

Gongsun Ji's energy was beginning to ebb, between the blocking and weaving of the continual rain of sword strikes from his surprisingly agile foe he managed to find an opening and punched the man hard in the gut, the training armor took the brunt of the blow. -8 HP Huang Dong! Unfazed and unmoved, as if he was now absent from his body. The soldier, now expressionless, continued with his swift and brutal dance, striking the other man hard in the right ribs. -12 HP Gongsun Ji!

Round 8
Gongsun Ji: 29 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 59 HP 03 AP 46 War

Left without recourse, Gongsun Ji decided to switch his tactics and kicked hard at Huang Dong's waist with his right leg, doing so caused a searing pain to run through the left, but now was not the time to worry about that! He had connected and struck hard! Critical Hit! -14 HP Huang Dong! As if awoken by this brutal blow, Huang Dong threw restraint away, aware that had the kick struck a little cleaner, he would be on the floor, writhing in pain. He moved to finish this in as effecient of a manner as he could. Though his breathing remained irregular, Huang Dong assumed a two handed stance and aimed to break Gongsun Ji's withering defenses, he struck Gongsun Ji's right arm in a violent attack! -11 HP Gongsun Ji!

Round 9
Gongsun Ji: 18 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 45 HP 03 AP 46 War

Gongsun Ji could see his chance closing. His last chance was that surprise kick, but he knew a trick like that would not work once more. He could feel the sting of the wood on his right arm as his defensive stance looked to collapse. He thought through his mind what could he use to turn the tables, what could be done? But there was nothing left. In desperation he moved to punch the man directly in the face. But it was not to be. Huang Dong saw through this and jumped, only having his chest hit hard in the action. -8 HP Huang Dong! Huang Dong saw his chance and rebounded. The work on the right arm had worked wonders and the man's right flank was now fully exposed. As such he struck the soldier, sending pain ringing through his ribs. -10 HP Gongsun Ji!

Round 10
Gongsun Ji: 08 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 37 HP 03 AP 46 War

What was left to him? He could quickly feel his energy draining but looked up in defiance towards the man, despite having trouble standing. Seeing as it worked well the first time, he put all of his remaining energy into a strong front-kick. It failed to move its target, but did cause a slight recoil. -8 HP Huang Dong! It was over, Huang Dong knew it. As such he gathered his spirit and in his two handed stance swung the blade with such force with the objective of knocking Gongsun Ji down, ending this duel. -12 HP Gongsun Ji!

Final Results
Gongsun Ji: -4 HP 02 AP 27 War
Huang Dong: 29 HP 03 AP 46 War
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-63-95-85 (68)
Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Gold: 559
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Han

Postby Han1977 » 17 Mar 2017, 09:35

The duel finally ended, Huang Dong secretly admired the old general. Some people might decided to end the battle long before they reached his state. He'd like to offer his hand for the fallen general, but Gongsun Ji's pride made him doubted his first instinct.

His mind worked hard for a split of second, before he reached a decision.

With the sword still in his hand, Huang Dong flopped to the ground and sat there, leaning on the sword. Huang Dong waited for Gongsun Ji to stand on his own, before he followed right after.

He walked toward Gongsun Ji, cupped his hand before his chest and said, "Well, I guess, even if they don't learn much from our technique, they'll learn a lot from your indomitable spirit."

After a nod to Gongsun Ji, he turned to the trainees and spoke to them, "Don't focus merely on the fight. There is so much more than speed, strength and technique in battle. I hope you can see, how one could turn the table when he had a strong will and spirit. You could also learn, never to let your guard down, even when you think you're going to win."

"A duel, a battle, a war, they're different in scale but the same principle is applied to win in all three of them. Find the essence, don't get distracted by the form.", Huang Dong ended his lesson with that sentence.

He quietly stepped back and lightly bowed to Gongsun Ji, expecting the old general to gave a more comprehensive explanation.
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby One Sun Mirror » 21 Mar 2017, 02:35

Han 1977

Having been thoroughly beaten and his attempts at changing the tide of the duel thwarted, Ji reflected as he lay in the mud. The almighty roar that Huang Dong had unleashed to begin with had so surprised him and put him off balance in the beginning that he'd been able to seize momentum early, just as Ji had attempted to do and been unsuccessful. Grimly satisfied that his opponent had bested him, he tried to arise, but found himself to be in too much pain initially. He closed his eyes for a moment and breathed deeply to calm himself.

When he opened his eyes once more, after just a moment ago having closed them, Huang Dong suddenly slumped onto the ground. Curious... perhaps the man had taken an injury after all? Slowly arising this time, Ji leaned heavily on his wooden training sword and awaited his opponent's rise. When he arose, Ji offered him a congratulatory gesture, bowing curtly in his direction, but looking him in the eye as he did so.

"If they have learned anything, it is that my words previously rang true when I withheld praise for my own actions on the battlefield! You have won this day."

Gesturing for Dong to speak before the gathered youths, Ji awaited his victory speech - which turned out to be quite a bit more constructive than he might have expected. He had begun to harbour a quiet admiration for the man.

"Huang Dong is a fine duelist, and you may note a great deal from him, both in his victory and his words!" Gongsun Ji praised his opponent. "In a fight, your brazen valour will only get you so far, and only the greatest of warriors will manage to maintain elegant technique the whole way through. Your determination, and your training, must focus on being able to endure such an onslaught as I just faced unsuccessfully!"

"I hope that all of you will take from this lesson that in war, you must be swift as the coursing river! With all the force of a great southern typhoon! You must bear the strength of a raging fire! And to your foes, your actions as mysterious as the dark side of the moon!" These words sounded much more poetic coming out than their speaker might have intended them, but those listening seemed reasonably impressed by them. Perhaps he ought to pen them for posterity...?

He then ordered the youths to pair off and practise their own sparring with one another so that Ji could observe their technique, determination and skill. As they did this, he turned to Dong. "On a different day, it might be I who bested you. It was a good fight, and I take great pride in serving alongside a man such as yourself. From whence did you acquire your technique?"
说曹操,曹操到
One Sun Mirror
Experienced Officer

Postby Han1977 » 21 Mar 2017, 14:15

One Sun Mirror wrote:...He then ordered the youths to pair off and practice their own sparring with one another so that Ji could observe their technique, determination and skill. As they did this, he turned to Dong. "On a different day, it might be I who bested you. It was a good fight, and I take great pride in serving alongside a man such as yourself. From whence did you acquire your technique?"

Huang Dong walked at Gongsun Ji's side as the man observed those under his training. When he heard Gongsun Ji's question a thin smile appeared on his lips. It took him a while before he answered.

"Well..., my father..., he was quite a wealthy man and have no problem at inviting instructor to stay at our house and teach his sons of their trade. I learn how to use sword, blade and spear, horse riding, and archery. Even long after I left my home, I trained diligently."

"... but I felt that it wasn't until my first taste of battle that I began to learn a bit about the art."

They reached the end of the rows. Huang Dong turned around and watched those soldiers wannabe swung their sword the best they could.

He sighed and turned to Gongsun Ji, "Perhaps, it's better to train them how to fight as a group. Just few basic spear techniques and focused more on how to keep the formation during battle. Perhaps few basic maneuvers. What do you think about it?"
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby One Sun Mirror » 23 Mar 2017, 11:21

Han 1977
Han1977 wrote:"... but I felt that it wasn't until my first taste of battle that I began to learn a bit about the art."

"And when was your first taste of battle? As the son of a moneyed man, you are quite well rounded it seems... those born into great wealth most often in my experience seem to lack any kind of worldly expertise," Ji pointed out flatly. "On the northern frontier, a rich fool's son would be imposed upon us now and again, and most would arrive with less talent than this lot-" he jerked his thumb back at the young men waving sticks about wildly, "and yet the kind of confidence that only the excessively wealthy possess. I have never met a good soldier who started out rich."

Han1977 wrote:He sighed and turned to Gongsun Ji, "Perhaps, it's better to train them how to fight as a group. Just few basic spear techniques and focused more on how to keep the formation during battle. Perhaps few basic maneuvers. What do you think about it?"

Gongsun Ji looked out towards the youngsters once more. "I think that judging by the way some of these hooligans wield a blade as if the sword was controlling them and simply bringing them for the ride, that important technique should be gained from one-on-one sparring," Ji stated. "It also passes as a good warm up exercise, later we may indeed move to more disciplined group manoeuvres, which I expect to be nothing short of abysmal." Remembering their past disagreement, he hastily added, "but of course, I shan't share such observations with them."
说曹操,曹操到
One Sun Mirror
Experienced Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Simzhou