Wan City Garrison Roleplay

Wan City Garrison Roleplay

Postby Mat » 16 Jan 2017, 16:50

Located in the southwest corner of the city, the Wan garrison headquarters, a handful of stone structures, are the first buildings most travelers see when entering from the southern gate.

They do not impress.

Months of neglect by the former city administration has left the barracks in poor repair. Leaky rooftops, muddied walls, and rusted hinges are the norm, with most of the garrison choosing to live with their local relatives rather than in the housing provided.

Several months ago, the magistrate sent the bulk of the experienced forces in the city north to reinforce Luoyang. The remaining soldiers are predominantly young, inexperienced, and poorly-trained. Less than one-hundred men and women in the current force have any combat experience whatsoever. Fewer still are properly equipped to fight, with most of the infantry armed with bo staves or clubs.

Still, even the meager garrison forces has its share of competent warriors. The men and women who have remained behind after the magistrate's departure are doing their best to keep Wan's military together, despite no longer having a commandant to report to. A dozen guard captains currently make up the senior leadership of the garrison, with no individual claiming seniority over the others.

OOC: Members of the Garrison (PM me if you'd like to be added to the list)
Li Jun (Dong Zhou), Guard Captain
Jiang Yan (cjh1k2004), Guard Captain
Dai Ren (UnholyBlade), Guard Captain
Sōng Fēishǔ(Syn), Guard Sergeant
Ju-long (matheusbrc), Newly-Recruited Sergeant
Ma Zhang (Mal Tijie), Newly-Recruited Sergeant
Ji Sheng (ShadInquis), Newly-Recruited Sergeant
Last edited by Mat on 11 Jun 2017, 10:56, edited 11 times in total.
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Re: Wan City Garrison Roleplay

Postby Mal Tijie » 16 Jan 2017, 17:56

Disgusting! Dishonorable! What kind of rat would abandon their city with nothing to defend themselves. Just horrible.

These thoughts filled Ma Zang's head as he approached the city garrison. He surveyed the city in it's awful state. The place he lived not even a days travel from was nothing like he remembered as a child. He reminisced about the times when he would travel to help his father sell their produce and watch the soldiers in the city. As Zang approached the garrison, he started to think again.

Hopefully the barracks is in better sorts than this. Well, here it is!... ...Oh...

The building didn't look anything like he had remembered either, but there was no point in moping on about it, onward! So Zang entered the barracks and would grab the first person he saw.

Hello friend! My name is Ma Zang, I have come to offer my services to the guard in any way possible.
Ma Zang
82*-71-40-40-79
Aid, Inspire, Leader, Loyalty, Vehemence
Mal Tijie
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: TBD

Postby Mat » 16 Jan 2017, 18:30

The garrison seems a cold, empty place at the moment, with few soldiers to speak of currently residing there. A handful of men and women are fashioning crude weapons out of wood and scrap metal, twisting the scavenged iron around wooden poles of various sizes to create war clubs. Only a single member of the garrison actually looks like a soldier, with a modest suit of armor and an actual sword buckled to his left hip.

He walks out from one of the buildings on Ma Zhang's approach.

"Guard Captain Liu Shentong," he bows slightly, displaying military bearing the other soldiers seem to lack.

"Pleased to meet you. We are certainly looking for new recruits but, as you can see, we can't offer much in the way of, well, anything at the moment. The magistrate emptied the city coffers when he...departed for Luoyang."

There is a trace of bitterness in the soldier's voice, but he continues after a moment.

"We're not certain when we'll be paid again. I'm afraid there's little we can offer you, aside from room and board. Things are in a bit of a flux at the moment. Our garrison commander was relieved of duty last month. His replacement was supposed to arrive from Luoyang, but sent word to us that he must remain in Luo Yang. The garrison is a ship without a captain at the moment, as it were."

Shentong gives Ma Zhang an appraising look.

"But you certainly look strong enough. We can provide food and board, at least, provided you're still interested in joining."
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Mal Tijie » 16 Jan 2017, 18:46

Upon being greeted, Ma Zang returns the bow to the guard captain.

Ah yes, the scared dog. I had heard he had abandoned the city, but I did not think it would be as bad as it was when I arrived... But regardless, I do not care much for the pay to be honest. I only wish to protect the city and empire.

Upon finishing, Zang pounds his chest.

Thank you for your praise Captain Liu Shentong. And I shall take you up on that offer, let us fight a glorious fight together! Though, I must ask, is there any plan formed on how to fight the rebels?
Ma Zang
82*-71-40-40-79
Aid, Inspire, Leader, Loyalty, Vehemence
Mal Tijie
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: TBD

Postby Mat » 16 Jan 2017, 19:08

"Your blade is most welcome, Ma Zhang. We no longer wear the uniforms of our predecessors. You can identify yourself as a member of the garrison by tying this around one of your arms."

Shentong hands over a small green strip of cloth. He is wearing one around his left bicep.

"As for a plan of attack, no, not yet. The local politicians are currently trying to determine who will take over the magistrate's duties. Once that has occurred, we will have more time to plan. For the time being we are outfitting ourselves as best we can."

"You are free to find an empty bed in one of the barracks. Meals are served twice a day - once in the morning and once in the evening. It's simple fare - rice and fish, mostly. But it'll fill you up."

"Should you be so inclined, you can head over to the city center today. I believe they will be electing the new magistrate. Hopefully he or she has more courage than their predecessor."
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby ShadInquis » 16 Jan 2017, 19:43

Early in the morning, Ding Ma went to approached the garrison building. It looked even worse than the looted nameless inn where he was based. Ding Ma already had the information on the state of the garrison, but to see it with one's own eyes was still a shock.

Approaching the building the knocked on the main gate:
I am Ding Ma. I have come to meet with a visit to all the brave men from the junior command of the garrison, who remained, while all the senior leaders fled. I particular I wanted to speak with Liu Shentong, to whom I sent a letter a yesterday.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Mat » 16 Jan 2017, 20:33

One of the garrison recruits, looking no older than 17, leads Ding Ma to the officer barracks. While not quite as run down as the rest of the garrison headquarters, the officer quarters have clearly seen better days. The entryway leads directly to a rather spartan-looking office, holding nothing more than a desk with three chairs.

The guard captain rises from his seat as he addresses the visitor. There is a map on the desk of the surrounding area, and some bundled scrolls on the desk.

"Master Ding, my apologies for not meeting with you sooner. I have quite a bit of logistical details to work out, as you might imagine."

The young soldier salutes Shentong and then leaves, closing the door behind him.

"Please sit. What is it you wished to speak with me about?"
Last edited by Mat on 16 Jan 2017, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby ShadInquis » 16 Jan 2017, 21:20

Ding Ma took out several bamboo scrolls and maps and briefly summarised his ideas on the military situation, preparations, strategy and fortifications which could be made in an effort to defend the city.

The city is located in good defensible terrain. We are protected by the river to the east, and have thick wood immediately to the south. In addition, the forest by the river banks would allow our forces to remain concealed an launch surprise attacks on enemies trying to cross. So as you can see, the city can be defended, even if the enemy outnumbers us. If you wish to see the maps in more detail, please visit the nameless inn your free time.

However, this defense will never happen with the army and the city and its current state. The city manufacturing facilities need to restarted, food stockpiled, the soldiers equipped and trained. And this needs to start as soon as possible. Every day wasted makes the rebels stronger. The full chain of command, both civilian and military needs to be restored.

Ding ma took a breath, paused and looked directly at Liu Shentong

The city administration fled, and many of those who remain are little better. You must have seen them, riling up crowds, calling for an... Ding Ma spat out the word with obvious disgust, "election". They think it's some form of contest in who can sell the sweetest lies and give the most profit for themselves. This nonsense must not stand. For all I know some of these may want to form their own petty kingdom. Normally I imagine the garrison would throw these louts in prison and wait for the new governor to be appointed by Imperial decree as is law, but we do not have the luxury of time. I fully intend to restore order to the city as soon as possible.

Ding Ma raised the voice. The tone was calm, but the sound could easily reach outside the building if anyone was to try and listen.

Having spoken on old member of of the Magistates, Cai Bin, he suggested that I go to the Magistrates office and make my case in front of other magistrates. If I can do that, perhaps order can be restored with a minimum of disruption. Then, a letter could be sent to the capital, detailing the situation. I intend to go to the Magistrates Office later today. I need to know if I have the backing of at least some of the members of the Garrison before I do.

Ding Ma sat down and waited to the response.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Mat » 16 Jan 2017, 21:54

Shentong listens politely, nodding in understanding at several of the points Ding Ma makes. In particular, the mention of equipping and training the soldiers seems to have caught Shentong's attention.

"My main concern is for the safety of the people of Wan. That includes the local garrison. We have been underfunded since the previous magistrate took over. Worse, despite lack of financial support in the past, we actually had an experienced, professional army."

Shentong gestures to the map with his left hand.

"The magistrate sent them to Luoyang."

The guard captain waits a moment to let that sink in.

"Aside from myself and a handful of others, the garrison is composed almost entirely of new recruits. Some of them have never even sparred before. The garrison needs food, training, and weapons. If the rebels were outside the city gates at this moment, more than half of the soldiers would be fighting them off with sticks and rocks."

"Master Ding, I could care less about politics. Frankly, I don't care if anyone profits off the coming conflict. I just want to keep my city safe."

The door to the office opens. The young man from serves up tea to both men before departing. Shentong sips his before continuing.

"The best way for me to ensure the safety of the soldiers is to be the one leading them on the battlefield. I am sure more soldiers will be drafted to bolster our ranks. I would ask that one-half of the soldiers currently garrisoned here be put under my command when the battle comes. If you give me your word it will be so, I can supply you with my personal seal. My family is of noble stock and my service record is spotless. The endorsement should go a long way towards getting you the support you need."
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby ShadInquis » 16 Jan 2017, 22:07

5,000 men? If someone as skilled as yourself does not have command of at least that much, then the city would have no chance anyway. You have my word that I will give you command of the men. Not only that, I promise every effort would be made to sure that the army is suitably equipped.

Now I must go to the Magistrates. Hopefully they can be convinced too and we can get to work soon.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Mat » 16 Jan 2017, 22:17

Liu Shentong rises and reaches into the folds of his armor. He produces a small jade seal and hands it to Ding Ma.

"Hopefully you can be a voice of reason. There is no sense in arguing over who will captain a vessel while it is sinking. We need to begin training the men, forging weapons, and planning for battle immediately."

The soldier rises from his seat and gives a slight bow of respect.

"Good luck, Master Ding."
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Dong Zhou » 17 Jan 2017, 14:11

Open RP

Li Jun was one of many who chose to live out rather in then the leaky barracks, her home might not be much on her salary but if had roof that didn't leak so by comparison, it was luxury. Each day however, she had to go to the ramshackle buildings, pick up whichever wet behind the ears guards were assigned to her, find one she could delegate all the paperwork too and then ensure the rest didn't do something stupid. The people needed reassurance, the sense of competent bodies on the streets guarding, doing patrols, to protect them and every time a guard got into a stupid fight, ran away, accidentally knocked over a market stall, it made things more difficult.

It hadn't exactly been the Wan guards she had joined when she came of age. Then the men had equipment, expirence and she had orders to follow. Now the guards were a rabble with only people like her having equipment worth anything, now she had nobody to obey. The magistrate had gone and so it seemed any sense of command, she liked having orders to obey but right now, there was a vacuum at the top. It was doing nothing for anyone and she felt it was diminishing authority of the guards each day they were having to keep order without anybody to answer to, to organize them properly.

With a sigh, Li Jun went through the door into the barracks, taking off her helmet before looking around without much hope, her question to anybody who might answer.

"Any word of who will take charge yet? Don't care who is in charge, just anyone? I do not want more days of trying to maintain order when everyone knows we have no authority higher then ourselves."
Last edited by Dong Zhou on 17 Jan 2017, 16:01, edited 3 times in total.
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 91*-59-69-29-59 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby cjh1k2004 » 17 Jan 2017, 14:25

[Open to anyone who wants to try and get my endorsement for ruler]

The archer Jiang Yan clearly had seen better days. Garrison soldiers spoke about him often behind his back - not that Jiang Yan seemed to even notice or care - saying that he permanently had a haunted look in his eyes, constantly talked to himself, and just generally seemed not "all there". Yet, Jiang Yan had risen to the post of a guard captain over the course of the past year or so. This was due to him seemingly developing excellent leadership, fighting, and archery skills that would normally take years of experience in war to master in that short span of time.

That this sudden meteoric rise in his abilities took place at the same time that Captain Jiang began to start talking of "another me", started dressing in strange barbarous garments at times, made his own distinctly un-Chinese bow and other such weird nonsense did not go unnoticed by the other garrison members. However, the increasingly dire situation that the city of Wan faced over the past year did not allow the garrison luxury of kicking captains out - especially not one with Jiang Yan's (admittedly much better than average) abilities.

Above all, some of the archers seemed to actually like this weird captain - Jiang Yan had a strange knack for instilling great loyalty in his followers (this skill also "suddenly" appearing during his one-year rise to Captainship). Also, despite not being entirely lucid, Jiang Yan's (at times strange) leadership seemed to lead him and his men to favourable outcomes in battle more often than not, and as a result his opinions (however "out there" they were) were often considered to be more trustworthy than most within the rank and file of the Garrison. The madman's thinking would drive you mad if you tried to understand it, they would say, but at least it could be reliably depended upon to bring victory.

If one wanted to look for Jiang Yan, they might try posting a letter to him, or they might try visiting the archery training building of the Wan Garrison.
Jiang Yan V6 Pregame (21)
90-81-60-30-29
Counter, Leader(e), Loyalty, Missile, Valor, Volley
Head of Internal Security (Military Rank 1)
Co-starring the two little sisters Jiang Liyan (shared with Kun Tiao) and Jiang Meixiu (played by Kun Tiao)!
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Miao! And now Wan!

Postby Strong Bad » 17 Jan 2017, 16:36

Dong Zhou wrote:Open RP

A lone horseman rode slowly through the streets of Wan towards the barracks. His steed was skin and bones. His armour patched and damaged. His clothing poor and threadbare. But, the steel of his trident halberd was sharp, almost as sharp as the steel in his hard eyes. The horseman had a look of a man from the northwestern frontier, a natural affinity for the saddle combined with his untied hair waving in the wind being a tell-tale sign. A scarred, hard face, on one who has lived a lifetime of war.

The sights that greeted him upon his arrival in Wan did not brook any positive feelings on the situation. Word was on everyone's lips that the magistrate had fled with the majority of the city's resources, that the soldiers were meager and untried, and that the rebels were evermore closing in on a city that had no real defenses or leadership. The horseman tried to tell himself that he'd seen worse on the frontier; the lie did not come naturally to him, especially knowing it was a falsehood. Yet he did not regret his decision to come. After all, justice must always come to meet the wicked, and there was as much wickedness afoot here as there was where he came from.

He stopped his tired horse before the barracks, patting it on its neck and muttering a few words of comfort. Dismounting and stretching briefly, he tied the reins to a horse-post outside and swaggered up through the door, glancing around inside to anyone who was near with a glare.

"I am Lü You of Xiliang, by way of Chang An. Is there anyone in charge here, or am I to assume I've put a death sentence on my head for nothing?"

After the briefest of pauses, the hard glare turned to a wolfish grin, though it was hard to tell which looked more dangerous.
Xiahou Meng will return for V6. Until then...

Pre-game:
Lü You (34)
70-90-62-16-65
Charge, Duelist (e), Trample, Valour, Weaponmaster

2328. Just because damage is non-lethal doesn't mean I can keep beating him for hours.
Strong Bad
Have I annoyed her today?

Location: Y'know, I don't recall having done anything for a while. But I still feel like I deserve a smoke.

Postby matheusbrc » 17 Jan 2017, 16:42

Dong Zhou wrote:Open RP

"Any word of who will take charge yet? Don't care who is in charge, just anyone? I do not want more days of trying to maintain order when everyone knows we have no authority higher then ourselves."

"Bureaucracy helps to keep order and power, but it also hinders creativity and the power to create. The chaos of a leaderless city is dangerous, but also allows you to seek freely your goals."

Ju-long said as he stood behind Li Jun. He walked forward to stay face to face with his interlocutor.

"Sorry for my manners. My name is Ju-long. And I'm a wanderer that lends his power to those in need. I can find and treat wounds on men and cities. Would the city of Wan be in need of my expertise?"

He bowed slightly, as if apologizing for his abrupt entrance.
Ju-long (32)
30-60-90-60-70
Spy(e), Mystic, Medic, Stealth, Arson, Riot

"Heaven and Earth. The man in the middle. Withstand."
matheusbrc
Jonathan Toews

Kingdom: Vagabond

Next

Return to Simzhou