Wan City General Roleplay

Re: Wan City General Roleplay

Postby cjh1k2004 » 05 Apr 2017, 03:55

Xu Yuan wrote:Jiang Yan's Spectacle

The days of February passed peacefully for the aged advisor. He watched over the building preparations that were to bring the city again back to wealth and prominence. He was also keeping careful watch of the preparations that the Guard Corps was making in retrieving Xiaoquan Shen, but as his attention was divided with works of faction building, he could not participate as he desired. It was late in February when the Guard Corps had made their move. Zhou Liang played the role of foppish noble, a young girl who he was unfamiliar with played as a second. To his understanding the negotiations broke down early, therefore the ransom was paid and the kidnappers betrayed as they moved to escape. Likely cut down by Jiang Yan's expert snipers. He could only mutter under his breath; "Had I been there, I would have settled this within the hour, likely without casualty." Unfortunately the interrogation of the captured soldiers came first as it was his official duty, that was moving swiftly, but the reports still had to be written up and sent to the Magistrate.

It was the following day when he was passing through on his way to the City Center in his carriage that he took terrified notice of this gruesome display, he murmured under his breath "Dà Pì, a fitting punishment for these wastrel vagabonds." He shrugged his shoulders as he looked out over the Marketplace where a muted fear ran through the air. "This may be to our advantage. This should keep the masses in check while we plan our next moves." The black-robed Aides nodded their heads in agreement. "I believe I will meet with Captain Jiang. I wish to discuss the situation further with him, preferably not here." He grimaced as he looked upon the bloody display, before he quickly turned around. The sight of blood always made him nervous and ill-at-ease. Such was the elder's delicate nature. A young girl, seemingly unmoved by the disturbing sight nodded her head joyfully. Her voice was soft and airy; "I will arrange a reservation at the Golden Eagle." Cai Bin nodded approvingly. "Yes, a favorite meeting place of officials in the past. A very cultured locale. I leave the invitation to you then, Ling." He beamed a smile at the young lady and made off to the City Center to attend to the business of the day.

Aide Ling made her way to the Golden Eagle, then to the Garrison, flanked by several of the stronger Aides. Her steps were sure and steady. This had been the first time since becoming an Aide that she was given a responsibility of this magnitude, but she showed no faltering. At the front gate of the Garrison she made herself known to the doorkeeper. "I am Master Cai's servant, Aide Ling. Master Cai would like to discuss the recent success of the Guard Corps with Captain Jiang Yan at the Golden Eagle situated to the West of the City Center." She proffered up an invitation which said as such. "Please make sure that this reaches the good Captain." She smiled warmly to the doorkeeper.

The door guards looked at each other.

Guard 1: "Captain Jiang? Sure, I guess. He hasn't really been around lately though, but I'll leave this in his office."

Guard 2: "It's almost like he's disappeared, at times. But his sister Liyan still comes around, so I'm sure he'll receive the notice eventually."

--

Later in the day

Despite the gruesome (and increasingly putrid) display in the town square earlier the day, the Golden Eagle was still doing brisk business at lunchtime. If the citizens of Wan were perturbed at the sight of several butchered corpses in the midst of the city, they certainly didn't show it in the hustle and bustle of lunch service at the tavern. Or maybe they did - if one listened, one might catch snippets of conversation about the corpses amongst the crowd ("... they deserved it, stinking criminals..." and " Mama! The guards are so scary..." amongst other similar chatter).

In a corner of the tavern, however, a hooded grey figure sat, simply drinking tea alone at his table. His right hand still trembled slightly as he picked up his teacup, but other than that Jiang Yan's figure showed no other overt sign of the mental... instabilities that he had shown to so many other people in the city. In his dark corner of the tavern, perhaps Jiang Yan had hoped he would have gone unnoticed - but if that were his goal it was failing woefully. Citizens kept a noticeably wide berth around his table, seemingly frightened of approaching the guard captain... But if Jiang Yan noticed, he did not respond and sat as though waiting for someone.
Jiang Yan V6 Pregame (21)
90-81-60-30-29
Counter, Leader(e), Loyalty, Missile, Valor, Volley
Head of Internal Security (Military Rank 1)
Co-starring the two little sisters Jiang Liyan (shared with Kun Tiao) and Jiang Meixiu (played by Kun Tiao)!
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Miao! And now Wan!

Postby Xu Yuan » 05 Apr 2017, 17:55

Jiang Yan's Spectacle

It wasn't long before Cai Bin's Aides alerted the aged advisor that his subject of interest had arrived at the Golden Eagle. Cai Bin set out upon hearing this and made his way to the upscale tavern where Jiang Yan's peculiar choice of dress and demeanor quickly made him stand out, despite his attempts at being innocuous. As such Cai Bin had little trouble finding the Captain. He caught the attention of the purveyor of the establishment and ordered a light meal before sitting down across from Jiang Yan.

"Captain Jiang; I wish to congratulate you on a job well done. While the negotiations may have gone awry you showed no hesitation in executing your duty and ending these scoundrels where they stood. In addition you applied traditional forms of justice to act as an example to all would-be rebels and traitors. If I may ask though, how did matters cross to that point? The reports I have read have had several glaring omissions that I thought you may be able to clear up. From your missive I see that your sister played a role in the negotiations as did the Young Master Zhou. What more can you tell me?" He leaned in to listen closely to the Archer and to signal to the man that he could whisper, if necessary.
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Gold: 4
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Han

Postby cjh1k2004 » 06 Apr 2017, 01:08

Xu Yuan wrote:Jiang Yan's Spectacle

It wasn't long before Cai Bin's Aides alerted the aged advisor that his subject of interest had arrived at the Golden Eagle. Cai Bin set out upon hearing this and made his way to the upscale tavern where Jiang Yan's peculiar choice of dress and demeanor quickly made him stand out, despite his attempts at being innocuous. As such Cai Bin had little trouble finding the Captain. He caught the attention of the purveyor of the establishment and ordered a light meal before sitting down across from Jiang Yan.

"Captain Jiang; I wish to congratulate you on a job well done. While the negotiations may have gone awry you showed no hesitation in executing your duty and ending these scoundrels where they stood. In addition you applied traditional forms of justice to act as an example to all would-be rebels and traitors. If I may ask though, how did matters cross to that point? The reports I have read have had several glaring omissions that I thought you may be able to clear up. From your missive I see that your sister played a role in the negotiations as did the Young Master Zhou. What more can you tell me?" He leaned in to listen closely to the Archer and to signal to the man that he could whisper, if necessary.

For a moment, it wasn't clear if Jiang Yan even heard the aged advisor speak, as he didn't move. Quite literally so - his right hand which was about to raise his teacup to his mouth stopped abruptly mid-air and froze, trembling slightly.

After what seemed like a few moments, Jiang Yan looked up.

Jiang Yan: "I... I did what *he* would have done. They were criminals, and therefore had to be slaughtered. They threatened my sister, threatened our security. I remember this, but..."

At this, he began kneading his forehead with his left hand (his right hand still holding his teacup in mid-air - an impressive display of arm endurance strength, but perhaps not out of the norm for a career archer). Jiang Yan was acting strangely - but this was normal for those who knew him. What wasn't normal was that he didn't seem to actually hear what Cai Bin asked him. More than anything, though, Jiang Yan seemed very confused.
90-81-60-30-29
Co-starring the two little sisters Jiang Liyan (shared with Kun Tiao) and Jiang Meixiu (played by Kun Tiao)!
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Postby Dong Zhou » 06 Apr 2017, 05:12

Li Jun had heard the kidnapping had been dealt with with the girl safe and by force, it would be the buzz of the barracks for a few days at least with those that had been there getting a few free drinks from fellow soldiers. She had agreed with the need to kill the kidnappers, Wan needed to show that such crimes resulted in penalty of death and she bet the numbers of such crimes would fall for a short while.

What she hadn't expected was this spectacle. Maybe on the walls and a head or two at key locations but not so many bodies in the market square. It was a.... sight and not one she imagined would be popular once the corpses began to rot, she would need to have something strong smelling to counter the smell on patrols and she have to buy her food well away from the market square to avoid the stench and the flies... It would be memorable but she didn't think Jang Yan had thought through all the consequences.

Shaking her head, Li Jun turned away from the stake and decided to observe the reactions of those in the city. She had a feeling the citizens would enjoy it for a day or two, till the problems kicked in.

Open RP
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 93*-66-70-30-60 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby Achira » 06 Apr 2017, 10:34

Dong Zhou, long time no RP. Help me get back in RP-shape :P .

After a long journey Ju-Long arrived outside the city-gates of in Wan. A young man, with a muscular figure, a reddish beard which matched with his red head bandanna, looked up and was fascinated about the huge gates. While looking up a ray of the sun made it difficult to look, so he used his left hand to create some shading. In his right hand a small bag an empty stomach he walked through the gates to enter the city.

While walking through the gate he could notice that the guards were very alert and looked at Ju-Long like they were scanning him. Ju-Long ignored their critical 'look' and tried to break the ice by saying with a smile "Yo guys, whats happening? Nice weather, isn't it? keep up the great work!". They ignored Ju-Long's 'impulsiveness' and as a reaction one of the guards sighed and shook his head. Ju-Long did not understand his reaction, he just kept smiling did not react to it. The other guard looked at other people that were passing through.

Ju-Long's provision was running low, and tired of a long journey, he decided to go to the market part of the town. Other reason that he came to Wan is investigate the rumors that he had heard. Something big happened and the word spreads fast. Before reaching the market part of the city he had to walk through the town square. First thing he noticed is that he was welcomed by a 'Welcome Committee' consisting out of... flies?! He tried to keep the flies on a distance by waving and puffing at them. "Nasty" he said. He looked around to find the source of this infestation. When he won his little war against the little swarm and they dispersed, the middle of the town square became clear.

What he saw was shocking for him. He could see the spikes, and on it there were mutilated corpses and detached heads. He was disgusted, people could read it off his face. Quickly he looked around to make a scan of the square. He did not know how to feel. Should he scream? Should he laugh? Cry? Make a scene? Pray? Ask people around? Do nothing? He did not know, so he decided to look around and see how the locals feel about this situation. One thing is sure, he was reconsidering to leave this place as quickly he came in. While looking around he noticed that locals, and outsiders, had mixed feelings about this situation. He could see some people, actually happy, to see these men on spikes by saying "Serves you right!" and "Look son, that's what happens if you choose the wrong path." At the other hand some people tried to stay away from the place by blocking their eyes and of their childeren saying "Don't look.", "Heaves, what will become of us?" and "What a brutality... These men deserve at least a proper burial." The flies were also causing irritation. Sellers were busy keeping flies out and off their merchandises, while buyers decided to skip the 'market day' for now.

He slowly approached the 'mutilated' men to have a better perception of the wounds. Some were severe and had signs of brutality. Some were precise, clean and were distinctive by a certain type of arrow, a truly marksmen job. While approaching the smell of this, still and slowly thick dripping blood touched his nose. He took of his head bandanna en held it in-front of his mouth, to suppress the foul smell that slowly was converting into a rotting smell. Working his way from the left to the right he stopped in the middle. There was a sign there that picked up his attention. A sign of a fellow named Jiang Yan. Not to indulge himself into the stench he began to read it from a distance.

After he was finished reading it he walked away from these corpses, walked through crowds, and tucked his head bandanna in his belt.
"I have to wash you my friend." he said with his rough voice and ended with a sigh. The last part of the sign kept repeating in his mind: "... Do not hesitate to contact us if you observe or suspect law-breaking in progress... No lawbreaker shall escape the long arm of the Law... Let all do our part for a safe and secure Wan... These where criminals... Punish those who are wrong... But no respect after their dead..."

He continued and was in deep-thoughts. While 'taking a stroll, he stared to the ground. How he read it, is like this Jiang Yan fellow, made... made this a bit of a personal affair. Of course Ju-Long thought about the situation if he was in Jiang Yan's sandals. He could imagen that he also would do everything to ensure the safety of his younger sister. But still, putting essence on his function. people could mistake this for expression of authority, but in a wrong way.

From the corner of his eyes he noticed a woman, that seems to observe the situation. Also her clothing gave away that she is not a commoner here, but a official. At least, he presumed. He snapped out of his deep-thoughts turned around towards this woman, who would have to be Li Jun. He began polite with
"Excuse me ma'am." and continued his low, yet calm voice: "What do you think of this situation? Do these men deserve to be displayed... How can I say it... like meat at the butchers-shop...?"
Achira
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: meeeh

Postby Dong Zhou » 07 Apr 2017, 08:44

Li Jun hadn't paid much attention to Ju-Long, just another stranger observing the dead, reaction being on the negative but far from the only one. When he approached her, Li Jun nodded her head politely but was surprised to be asked anything, the guard captain straitening up as she considered the question.

"One gets caught kidnapping and killed in the fight, your going to get your body displayed as a signal to other kidnappers, to stop them feeling it is a risk free crime. I would prefer the bodies be displayed in the walls rather then in the market, this is going to disrupt the city as the corpses putrefy, and I would not have gone with that particular note but if your going to commit a crime, your not going to get much sympathy if you pay the penalty."

Li Jun felt that was the right balance, she agreed with the bodies being display but she could hint of some disagreement on the matter without back-talking Jiang Yan. She still felt Jiang Yan should not have been given control of the bodies, he was too close to the situation and it had come through on the note.

Glancing at the visitor, Li Jun gave a warm smile.

"Guard Captain Li Jun, at your service. I don't think we have met?"

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Xu Yuan » 09 Apr 2017, 22:44

cjh1k2004 wrote:
For a moment, it wasn't clear if Jiang Yan even heard the aged advisor speak, as he didn't move. Quite literally so - his right hand which was about to raise his teacup to his mouth stopped abruptly mid-air and froze, trembling slightly.

After what seemed like a few moments, Jiang Yan looked up.

Jiang Yan: "I... I did what *he* would have done. They were criminals, and therefore had to be slaughtered. They threatened my sister, threatened our security. I remember this, but..."

At this, he began kneading his forehead with his left hand (his right hand still holding his teacup in mid-air - an impressive display of arm endurance strength, but perhaps not out of the norm for a career archer). Jiang Yan was acting strangely - but this was normal for those who knew him. What wasn't normal was that he didn't seem to actually hear what Cai Bin asked him. More than anything, though, Jiang Yan seemed very confused.

Cai Bin's eyebrow rose as he looked upon the young man with a sense of futility. Perhaps he should have gone to the Young Master instead of the Archer Captain. Regardless he tried to speak to the young man about his actions; his words shared no sympathy for the fallen. "Yes. You took the actions of Dà Pì. You meted out the appropriate actions for traitors and conspirators and followed it with placing their remains in the town square. These are all actions taken in ancient times, therefore they can be used without retribution of a ritual sort. Important to this though is moderation. Needless to say the display is made and these bodies cannot be made to rot completely, lest we break ritual propriety and drive the people to paralyzing fear."

He tried once more to return to what happened and why this course needed taken. His tone became more deliberate. "Again, Captain Jiang; why was it necessary to follow through with this? I will not judge you. The people killed were in conspiracy with villains I only wish to know how the situation degraded to call for this sort of action."
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby Achira » 10 Apr 2017, 06:02

Dong Zhou

Ju-Long listened to Li Jun with full attention. He understand what the guard captain ment, he could agree with her. After the guard captain introduced herself to Ju-Long, Ju-Long retained his posture and clasped his hands. While taking a respectful bow to Li Jun, he said politely: "My apologies Guard Captain. As a person with no rank I should introduce myself first. My name is Ju-Long Bai from Xiang Ping. In Xiang Ping I am a humble horse care-taker and breeder, 4th generation." he rose and continued with a smile "My ambition is to learn more about breeding and taking care of horses. By visiting different stables and breeders I hope to accumulate lots of information."

He felt a bit of uneasy, he spend his youth in the village, between horses, so almost never did any formalities. Even though he knew the 'formalities' he was unsure if he introduced himself correctly. He took a bow again and said uneasy "Forgive... Forgive for my rudeness, Guard Captain. I am... known to be fair... but also to speak before my turn... I did not meant to be rude, by sharing my opinion." and rose again "I believe if people are honest and good to each other, we can build on each other. Like Confucius said: "Speak the truth, do not yield to anger; give, if thou art asked for little; by these three steps thou wilt go near the gods."

He asked Li Jun a question "Guard Captain, do you believe, if these men, given the chance, they would better their lives?" He continued "I know it sounds naive and perhaps 'unrealistic', but why do men act like this? Perhaps you could intrigue me with your wisdom."
Achira
Veteran Officer

Postby Dong Zhou » 11 Apr 2017, 05:38

Li Jun shrugged as Ju-Long apologized. His declaration of being fair immediately made her suspicious but he wasn't doing anything wrong... yet.

"It's fine, one is meant to be able to approach a guard, part of the job."

Li Jun looked towards the bodies and considered her answer about why they had done what they did. Where these wealthy or poor kidnappers? She didn't know so she could only generalize.

"I wasn't there, I was fighting rebels so I can't speak about these dead men. Some go into crime becuase they have no choice, some to escape poverty or it offers such an opportunity for a life they can not otherwise get. Some people commit crimes becuase it excites them or they like causing suffering."

People blamed the poor for crimes or some felt the poor were being picked on but the wealthy committed crimes. Sometimes harder to track, sometimes of a different nature but the rich kidnap, stole and killed. Li Jun sighed, human nature was not something one came to like when serving in the guards, one tended to see the worst.

"Kidnappings have risen across the land becuase they are successful, people pay and guards do not react, it becomes a profitable exercise. Whatever else goes on, their bodies will send a message that Wan will not tolerate such a crime."

Hoping to have distracted Ju-Long a little with such thoughts as she asked her own question, keeping a careful eye on the Xiang Ping stranger.

"Why would a breeder come to Wan when it is in the midst of a civil war? Plenty of safer places to learn the trade, with lot less risk of death."

Officer Profile

Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Postby Achira » 11 Apr 2017, 08:10

Dong Zhou, let's make this a bit interesting :P

Ju-Long listened with awe. The Guard Captain was doing her part for the Han. That made Ju-Long feel bad, even a bit of disappointment towards himself. He just started his journey while the country is in a civil war. Perhaps this journey is not only about horses and to gain wisdom... Maybe he is just inexperienced... This whole situation was new to him. He heard about rebels, kidnapping, defile and etc. but because it was not near Xiang Ping, he never 'experienced' the urge of this situation. This may sound stupid... he thought. All he did is take care of the horses with his father and grandfather...

Ju-Long nodded and agreed by saying "It is true Guard Captain, it is unknown why people commit crimes, what their real reasons and motives are. I am not the right person like you to pick them out... It is a difficult situation and people with the right perception are critical for this job..."

Li Jun asked Ju-Long a critical question, why come here? While knowing that Bei Ping, for example, is also known for their horses, especially their white horses. He shrugged and responded to the Guard Captain "You got a point Guard Captain. My gut feeling brought me here, I only can say that for now. Perhaps it was meant to be? I do not know. I am more interested in the southern horses than those of the north that I am acquainted with it. My father and grandfather made this journey to."

Ju-Long looked back, at the bodies of the rebels... and knew that there isn't much to do about it. Not he. He let it go and thought to himself that is better to look forward than sticking onto the past. While thinking about that he got an inspiration. He smiled and asked Lu Jun "Guard Captain... you seem to be an experienced person in duty and in life." He took a bow and said "That why I decided, with your permission, to do my part. So I humbly ask you to please take me as your disciple."

And waited for her response...
Achira
Veteran Officer

Postby Rebel » 11 Apr 2017, 15:18

cjh1k2004 wrote:Wan, Town Square

The citizens of Wan would wake up one morning to find a gruesome spectacle that greeted them in the middle of the Town Square, where everyone - merchants, civil officials, guard patrols, and all - would usually pass through on their way to work in the morning.

Mounted on several stakes were the corpses of several men. Most bore large, gaping wounds - a bloody testament to the skill and strength of the person(s) who had taken them down. Several others were peppered with arrows sticking out of their vitals - some recognisable as arrows belonging to the guardsmen of Wan. A handful were fletched with strange grey feathers - those who had encountered Captain Jiang Yan's eccentric acts would recognise these as his strangely-handcrafted arrows.

The figure in the middle was, for lack of a better description, nailed to the stake propping up his corpse. Or rather, the pieces of his corpse - it appeared that he had been hewn into several large... chunks, each nailed roughly into the wooden stakes. Above the remains of his head was a sign.

Citizens of Wan,

Look well, and see the consequences of law-breaking in Wan. These scum have dared to kidnap our esteemed citizen Xiaoquan Shen, and also had the gall to demand ransom from Jiang Meixiu, my sister, for his release. Of all people, they threatened the sister of a Guard Captain. For the crime of kidnap, of threatening a citizen of Wan, and blatant disrespect to the institution of the city Garrison and Law, we, the Guard Corps of Wan, investigated and dealt with these law-breakers. Below, you see the leader of this nefarious scheme. Let all who dare consider making light of the law see the consequences we will inflict upon you.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you observe or suspect law-breaking in progress. No lawbreaker shall escape the long arm of the Law. Let all do our part for a safe and secure Wan.

Guard Captain Jiang Yan,
Head of Internal Security,
Guard Corps of Wan

Sun Xiang happened to be passing through the town square when he came upon a crowd gathered to witness the corpses hung on stakes. Shuffling through the people he got close enough. The gory sight would be horrifying to the faint of heart. Chunks nailed to the stake? The stench was unbearable.

Sun Xiang cupped his chin and observed the hanging bodies for a long moment. These were criminals of some sort. Kidnappers, according to the note. But what could be the purpose behind hanging them to the stakes for display like this? It was obvious that they were dead long before they were put up for display.

A few ideas came to mind.

Perhaps this Jiang Yan was an attention seeker and wanted to prove how good he was with a bow and arrows? Perhaps he was a psycho who liked to push things too far?

Or perhaps the display was meant to scare people into submission and not question the Guard Corps? What else could be the purpose?

He looked around listening to the murmurs of the crowd. Quite a few were scared. Sun Xiang searched his own soul. Was he scared by the display?

Not one bit.

He sat down on a nearby bench and took out his pen and papers. He began to write. A state of war only serves as an excuse of tyranny

An Excuse of Tyranny wrote:There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice.

The grotesque display in the town square serves as a reminder to the people of Wan that they now live under a brutal regime, run by the guard captains. It is no longer enough to punish criminals for wrongdoings. But they must be hacked into pieces and put on display. To be made an example. It is an attempt to rule through cruelty and fear.

The resources of the Guard Corps are being spent on intimidating ordinary citizens. The real concern for the City Guard is that the sister of some Captain was threatened somehow and the institution of city garrison was disrespected. In the city of Wan, this is a crime now. To question the City Guard is a crime. To challenge their actions is a sin. A wrongdoing for which death is not enough of a punishment and the dead remains of the culprits will be mutilated and put on display.

We are descending into a state of savage barbarism with a blood-thirsty, mad man running as the head of internal security. Internal security, as in he will be making political dissidents and those who question the guard corps disappear. Until their dead remains end up on display in the town center. This is his understanding of justice and law.

History has shown that those who give up freedoms for security, end up with neither. The citizens are reminded that there is no need to fear this buffoon, acting as the head of security. Any wrongful excesses by the Guard Corps or unjust treatment by the internal security should be reported to the department of records. The people of Wan shall not be silenced through intimidation.

Sun Xiang,
The Recorder

Sun Xiang made a hundred copies of his writings and proceeded to distribute them through the crowd. Once finished, he sat back on the bench cross-legged. Dozens of copies were at his side for those who would care to pick one up. He took out a Dizi flute from within his robes and began to play a somber tune not too far away from Jiang Yan's spectacle.
Sun Xiang
Current Stats: 70-30-81-77-70
Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Previously: Huang Xiong (196, August) Styled: LiRen
Rebel
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Xu Yuan » 11 Apr 2017, 17:03

The pamphlet soon found its way into the hands of Cai Bin's Aide who couldn't help but guffaw as he read it. Knowing that this was an issue that would cause some consternation among the masses, but be a none-matter to people of position the young man quickly made his way to his master who was in a rare moment of relaxation as he pored over the Zuozhuan with a piercing eye. In seeing his revelry interrupted, the discerning look turned to a short smile as he looked at his Aide. The Aide responded; "Master Cai; it would seem Sun Xiang has taken offense to Jiang Yan's handling of the situation in regards to the kidnapping of Xiaoquan Shen. It was my belief that this requires a response." He handed the pamphlet to the elder. "It would seem that this over-eager man has forgotten the very history which he records!" The elder said while chuckling. He held up his hand to halt the Aide.

"This will take no more than a minute to dispute. Gather the other Aides and assure that my response is copied four-hundred times and post them in all taverns, inns, restaurants, and markets in the city." The young man excitedly shook his head.

Just recently a pamphlet written by the honorable Recorder Sun Xiang made its way into my hands where he purports that the rescue of the Noble Xiaoquan Shen was not worth its cost, where the Guard Captains overstepped their bounds by making an example of these criminals; this is a fallacy of the highest order. A Historian should know better.

To recount the situation which lead to these actions being taken I must clarify what occurred the previous night. The Noble Xiaoquan Shen had been kidnapped by ne'er-do-wells and the perpetrators ordered that a ransom be paid for his safe return. The negotiations broke down, the criminals and their nearby associates were all felled by a volley of exact targeting lead by Captain Jiang. Captain Jiang chose to take these already dead men and mutilate them in an ancient practice known as Dà Pì which is in accord with the rites and ancient Han law.

Despite Recorder Sun's assertion that this was done purely in response to having one of the Guard Captain's family threatened, the crime in question was not directed towards the Guard Captains. It was directed towards our august men of Nobility and Heritage. No civilization allows abduction without recompense. Surely if you were abducting people and are caught, you know that your life is forfeit. This has nothing to do with the Guard Captains or the institutions comprising it. That the abductee was a Nobleman only gives greater reasoning for why Dà Pì was utilized.

These actions taken are not barbaric, they are classical Han law. The Recorder may rant and rail as he wills, but Captain Jiang was only doing his duty. To do any less would invite the prospect of mimicry, where any person may act as they please as long as they do not occupy a government rank, leading to an outbreak of abductions and other forms of government extortion which will lead swiftly to our doom. The practice of Dà Pì is a proper response to the kidnapper's actions and should serve as a warning to what the fate of any would-be rebel will be.

Cai Bin,
蔡臏
Political Advisor of Wan

As ordered, the response was posted in all public venues.
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby cjh1k2004 » 12 Apr 2017, 01:40

Xu Yuan wrote:Cai Bin's eyebrow rose as he looked upon the young man with a sense of futility. Perhaps he should have gone to the Young Master instead of the Archer Captain. Regardless he tried to speak to the young man about his actions; his words shared no sympathy for the fallen. "Yes. You took the actions of Dà Pì. You meted out the appropriate actions for traitors and conspirators and followed it with placing their remains in the town square. These are all actions taken in ancient times, therefore they can be used without retribution of a ritual sort. Important to this though is moderation. Needless to say the display is made and these bodies cannot be made to rot completely, lest we break ritual propriety and drive the people to paralyzing fear."

He tried once more to return to what happened and why this course needed taken. His tone became more deliberate. "Again, Captain Jiang; why was it necessary to follow through with this? I will not judge you. The people killed were in conspiracy with villains I only wish to know how the situation degraded to call for this sort of action."

Jiang Yan looked up, and stayed silent for a few moments.

Jiang Yan: "I gave the orders. I acted like *he* would have done."

The young archer still seemed confused, but if one would look closer a flash of... something... passed beneath his eyes. Was it malice? Bloodlust? It was hard to say.

Jiang Yan: "... What's important is that we have secured the city. We have punished crime. And for that, I see city ministers writing slander and foolishness about freedom and security, when he sits comfortably in his office protected by the Guard Corps..."

Jiang Yan's arm was visibly trembling as he spoke.

Jiang Yan: "Maybe we should teach him a lesson. A death by thousand cuts, perhaps...? Or..."

At this, Jiang Yan began darkly muttering to himself. This was somewhat confusing - on one hand, Jiang Yan was no longer as split or haggard as he had been a few weeks prior, when he had almost attacked Cai Bin. The guard captain was certainly far more lucid now. Yet, this embrace of the more... brutal methods of justice was certainly unsettling. Before he had been paranoid, tormented by his mind, but now it just seemed that Jiang Yan wanted blood. Certainly something for Cai Bin to ponder...

Rebel wrote:Sun Xiang happened to be passing through the town square when he came upon a crowd gathered to witness the corpses hung on stakes. Shuffling through the people he got close enough. The gory sight would be horrifying to the faint of heart. Chunks nailed to the stake? The stench was unbearable.

Sun Xiang cupped his chin and observed the hanging bodies for a long moment. These were criminals of some sort. Kidnappers, according to the note. But what could be the purpose behind hanging them to the stakes for display like this? It was obvious that they were dead long before they were put up for display.

A few ideas came to mind.

Perhaps this Jiang Yan was an attention seeker and wanted to prove how good he was with a bow and arrows? Perhaps he was a psycho who liked to push things too far?

Or perhaps the display was meant to scare people into submission and not question the Guard Corps? What else could be the purpose?

He looked around listening to the murmurs of the crowd. Quite a few were scared. Sun Xiang searched his own soul. Was he scared by the display?

Not one bit.

He sat down on a nearby bench and took out his pen and papers. He began to write. A state of war only serves as an excuse of tyranny

An Excuse of Tyranny wrote:There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice.

The grotesque display in the town square serves as a reminder to the people of Wan that they now live under a brutal regime, run by the guard captains. It is no longer enough to punish criminals for wrongdoings. But they must be hacked into pieces and put on display. To be made an example. It is an attempt to rule through cruelty and fear.

The resources of the Guard Corps are being spent on intimidating ordinary citizens. The real concern for the City Guard is that the sister of some Captain was threatened somehow and the institution of city garrison was disrespected. In the city of Wan, this is a crime now. To question the City Guard is a crime. To challenge their actions is a sin. A wrongdoing for which death is not enough of a punishment and the dead remains of the culprits will be mutilated and put on display.

We are descending into a state of savage barbarism with a blood-thirsty, mad man running as the head of internal security. Internal security, as in he will be making political dissidents and those who question the guard corps disappear. Until their dead remains end up on display in the town center. This is his understanding of justice and law.

History has shown that those who give up freedoms for security, end up with neither. The citizens are reminded that there is no need to fear this buffoon, acting as the head of security. Any wrongful excesses by the Guard Corps or unjust treatment by the internal security should be reported to the department of records. The people of Wan shall not be silenced through intimidation.

Sun Xiang,
The Recorder

Sun Xiang made a hundred copies of his writings and proceeded to distribute them through the crowd. Once finished, he sat back on the bench cross-legged. Dozens of copies were at his side for those who would care to pick one up. He took out a Dizi flute from within his robes and began to play a somber tune not too far away from Jiang Yan's spectacle.

OOC: Nice touch - I'm a dizi player IRL! Do you play the instrument as well?

The Office of the Department of Records had always had its standard contingent of guardsmen within the Wan Administrative Complex. A day or so after Sun Xiang gave away his pampthlets, however, Sun Xiang would walk into his office noticing that his guard contingent seemed to have doubled. More than that, it seemed that several of the guardsmen were giving him barely-concealed hostile looks.

Amongst the messages and mail of the day, Sun Xiang would find an unmarked envelope. Inside he would find a grey-feathered arrow, and a simple message.

Mail wrote:I'll be visiting you today, soon.
90-81-60-30-29
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Postby cjh1k2004 » 12 Apr 2017, 02:04

The Day After The Spectacle - Wan, Town Square

The corpses had been left in the Town Square for a day now, and some were definitely beginning to rot. In fact, carrion birds had already been spotting picking at the eyes of the corpses. Before they could decompose fully, however, a contingent of guardsmen could be seen the next morning hauling the corpses onto a horse-drawn wagon. As the guardsmen began to unceremoniously dump the bodies one by one into the wagon, a grey-cloaked figure emerged from the rooftop of a building nearby.

As Jiang Yan took his hood off, he spoke, seemingly uncaring of whether anybody was paying attention to him or otherwise. His voice carried across the town square with authority.

Jiang Yan: "My name is Jiang Yan, Guard Captain and Head of Internal Security of Wan. Fellow citizens and officers, I trust you understand what will happen to law-breakers in Wan under my charge. These criminals will be taken outside of Wan, and buried in an unmarked, secret location. Even in death they will be cast out of our society, out of Wan, and to be forgotten forever by future generations."

Jiang Yan paused, as he surveyed the people in the town square. Several were openly gawking at the sight of the corpses being dumped in the wagon, while others listened intently.

Jiang Yan: "I want to remind each and all of you that the Guard Corps exist to protect Wan, both from outside threats and internal threats. Our officials can only exercise the functions of their office, because we protect them from angry mobs who are disaffected by their policies. Our merchants can only trade freely in the market, because we protect them from theft and burglary and extortion. Our citizens sleep well at night, because we the Guards Corps do not sleep in our night watch. To those who would say we are overstepping our bounds, I say - let them talk! Talk is cheap. We in the Guards Corps do not believe in trying to persuade people with empty words. We prove our worth with action. We prove our worth when each and every one of you can go home to your families at the end of the day, safe from harm."

Jiang Yan's figure seemed to grow, as he spoke. His tone was harsh, challenging even, and Jiang Yan was far from charismatic. But there was inspiration and leadership behind his words. This was not the gibbering, mad Jiang Yan people who interacted with him in private knew - this was the Jiang Yan that the guards and soldiers of Wan knew, that inspired such loyalty amongst the enlisted men. The guards who were in the town square seemed spellbound, several snapping to attention as Jiang Yan spoke of the Guard Corps, and perhaps the reasons why so many guardsmen in the Corps volunteered to join Jiang Yan's personal unit became clearer.

Jiang Yan: "Let me proclaim to everyone now. I will lead by example. Where Justice has to be done to send a clear message, I will be the one to strike the first blow. Where my guardsmen feel fear to tread, I will be the first to go. Where threats are made against my men, I will put their lives above my own. And so it is with the same promise that I make to all of Wan - I will make Wan a Safer and Secure city under my charge, even if it costs me my life.

If any of you wish to confess to any crimes you may have committed, come and look for me or any of the Guard Captains. I give you my word, if you confess to your crimes and make appropriate reparations, I will grant a one-time amnesty to them, only for this week. You have my word that no harm will come to you nor your family and friends."

Jiang Yan continued speaking. It truly seemed like he was a different person, to any of the officers who had previously met him before.

Jiang Yan: "After this, I will make no apologies for carrying out justice for the sake of Wan's security. And if anyone does not wish for the Guard Corps to provide this security, if you disagree with us - We will not harm you. We will not sabotage or murder you, but we will withdraw the service that we provide from you, and make it publicly known. It would be hypocrisy to continue making use of a service that you do not agree with in principle, yes?

I hope that we can all work towards a more Safe and Secure Wan."

As Jiang Yan finished his speech, he put on his grey cloak, and stepped back into the shadows behind the roof, seemingly vanishing from sight. At the same time, his guardsmen finished loading up the corpses, and headed out of town with the wagon at a gallop. Nothing was ever heard of again of the corpses of the kidnappers...
90-81-60-30-29
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Postby Xu Yuan » 12 Apr 2017, 02:39

cjh1k2004 wrote:Jiang Yan looked up, and stayed silent for a few moments.

Jiang Yan: "I gave the orders. I acted like *he* would have done."

The young archer still seemed confused, but if one would look closer a flash of... something... passed beneath his eyes. Was it malice? Bloodlust? It was hard to say.

Jiang Yan: "... What's important is that we have secured the city. We have punished crime. And for that, I see city ministers writing slander and foolishness about freedom and security, when he sits comfortably in his office protected by the Guard Corps..."

Jiang Yan's arm was visibly trembling as he spoke.

Jiang Yan: "Maybe we should teach him a lesson. A death by thousand cuts, perhaps...? Or..."

At this, Jiang Yan began darkly muttering to himself. This was somewhat confusing - on one hand, Jiang Yan was no longer as split or haggard as he had been a few weeks prior, when he had almost attacked Cai Bin. The guard captain was certainly far more lucid now. Yet, this embrace of the more... brutal methods of justice was certainly unsettling. Before he had been paranoid, tormented by his mind, but now it just seemed that Jiang Yan wanted blood. Certainly something for Cai Bin to ponder...

At this Cai Bin lost his calm veneer. He had just spent a small part of the day earlier writing a counter-pamphlet to Sun Xiang's assertions. Now if Jiang Yan were to continually act in a belligerent manner it put Cai Bin's political prestige in jeopardy and that cannot be allowed. He lightly slammed the table before his voice rose in commanding fashion, but did not rise to catch the attention of the patrons. "No! You will not continue that thought Captain! Dissenters are a given part of any society, by nature all people cannot be satisfied. You risk the breakdown of the very security of which you are protecting should you choose to antagonize Master Sun!"

Cai Bin glared at Jiang Yan before closing his eyes and sighing. "Do not forget Captain Jiang; Master Sun is your equal. He too holds a Military Rank. I will accept any varied opinions as people can be reasoned with, I have proven this time and again with my actions." His right hand balled into a fist and shook uncontrollably, clearly holding back a latent anger. "Had I only been at the negotiations... I could have avoided this entire matter." He placed his left hand over his right and eventually the shaking subsided. He turned his attention back to Jiang Yan as his look softened, he held a hand outstretched towards Jiang Yan. "Allow men of letters to attend to these issues. I have already addressed the Recorder's folly-filled pamphlet with one of my own. If you use force, intimidation, or coercion you damage the cause of which you strive for. Bear this wholly in mind."
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

PreviousNext

Return to Simzhou