Simzhou Skirmish Roleplay

Re: Simzhou Skirmish Roleplay

Postby Rebel » 08 Sep 2018, 13:57

@OSM, TGM

"I believe Master Shang Bao has offered to oversee the night watch. I can take a few men to the blocked path in the dead of night and cause a diversion. We will head for the south and join the main troop at dawn."

It seemed like a good plan to Kan. So far, the enemy had been ahead of them but causing a diversion while the troops slipped away would give them a chance to get ahead.
Mao Ma Kan
80-60-70-60-65
Volley, Missile, Counter, Medic, Invent, Navy, Spy

Sun Xiang
Current Stats: 70-30-81-77-70
Administration; Rumor; Scribe; Spy; Stealth; Wile

Previously: Huang Xiong (196, August) Styled: LiRen
Rebel
Middle Aged Officer

Postby thegrandmystic » 09 Sep 2018, 14:16

Bao nodded his head in agreement. "I will indeed oversee the night's watch, yes, though in that case it would be best for me to start a short nap whenever we decide to make camp for the rest of the day so that I might get at least some rest beforehand. Do feel free to wake me up in my tent should I be needed, however."
Simzhou: Shang Bao (21), Youthful Imperial Officer Dueling Horsemans Guy!
Nephew to Shang Song (43), Imperial Court Minister Clerk Attendant Person of Some Kind!

75-82-70-31-62
Charge, Duelist, Scout, Trample, Valor, Weaponmaster
Golden Phoenix Band (now a cavalry sub-unit of the Bundle of Bamboo Sticks Patrol Force)
thegrandmystic
OOC Brigadier General

Postby UnholyBlade » 25 Sep 2018, 02:33

UnholyBlade wrote:
ShadInquis wrote:Patrol Force: Emperor's Aegis
Towards the end of the day, you finally arrive back at the city of Wan. What do you want to do in the city?

Dai Ren: Rests (including Day 5 rest, which was not counted properly). Total 2+5=7% injury healed.
Troops: 1+4=(5) 10% of those injured recover

In a nutshell, report Intel on the organized and well equipped force, petition for more soldiers, gather intelligence on the status of other groups. Also, relieving the volunteers that survived. If possible I'll rotate them out with fresh troops

The day was long into the evening when the walls of Wan came into view. Despite many of them sporting bandages and showing signs of fatigue after a few days in the field, a quiet sense of relief had come over the beleaguered volunteers. The walls were a sense of security, and the banners hanging above the stones were a sign of better things to come. Dai Ren ordered his troops to set up camp, despite the grumbles he received. His auxiliaries had been quick and efficient under his guidance in tending to the most severely wounded. All of his troops could fight in the time it took them to distance themselves from the fight with Ma Han, though about half of the wounded were hurt enough to still be considered liabilities come combat. The possibility of a lone scout managing to tail them this far could not be ignored. The safety of the city would be an illusion, causing his already undisciplined troops to lower their guard no matter what precautions Dai Ren took.

The night would pass without incident. The sun would quietly rise as the wake up call was sounded through Dai Ren's camp. As he woke, he judged that his wounds from his duel had sufficiently healed. Though his body was sore, he had little worry that he would be impacted any longer. His troops morale grew as they marched closer and closer to the city. Each step brought more chatter, and with each step the tension in his volunteers loosened up. As the gates were opened for his company to come through, the only one not talking was Dai Ren at the head of the column.

He lacked the charisma that most people had to form basic social relationships. When it came time for work to be done, there was no hesitation on his part. Dai Ren knew what had to be done, or knew where to wait for orders if it came to it. He rarely bantered with anyone, and unless he was ordering his troops or instructing them in the martial arts, he was silent and watchful. There was always something needing to be done, and if he didn't see to it no one would. Bantering was something he had no time for.

As his troops entered and the gate closed behind them, Dai Ren issued his orders.
"Those of you who have families, go and see them. Those of you who wish to leave may do so, and on behalf of the Emperor I thank you for your service. For those rest of you, report to the Central Command Complex tonight by sun down." Without waiting to see which of his soldiers did what, Dai Ren ordered the auxiliaries to take control of the equipment train. The weapons, horses, and remaining rations would be returned to the armory for proper maintenance and countenance.

The barracks and the military complex held a welcome familiarity for Dai Ren as his column approached the waiting bureaucrats. He dismounted his new horse, asking her to be boarded in their makeshift stables for the time being. A name for her would have to come later when there was more time. A few wagons with food, a few with equipment, and some with the random accoutrements that no camp could make do without. As the work began and the delegations were underway, Dai Ren left and returned to his quarters after giving his auxiliaries the same speech as his soldiers.

Dai Ren closed the door and leaned against it with his back as he let out a sigh. If he had a full command of soldiers, he could have taken care of this nonsense and wouldn't have had to leave the village on the coast to its fate. That is the definition of a failure in his eyes, though it was entirely within the parameters of the current operation. The parameters would just have to be adjusted. Dai Ren removed his armor and cleaned himself off. It was good to wash the grime and clean his wounds with fresh bandages and ointments.

As he placed his armor on its rack, he couldn't help but remark at the smell. Blood and sweat rarely smelled good, but it had been a long while since it had been his own blood. The fight with the leader. The risk he took of approaching the enemy on his own. Foolish choices. His life was worth more than that of the volunteers. He had intimate knowledge of the city, their forces, their weaknesses, much more than a volunteer soldier would have. Sentimentality like "every life is equal" is absolute rubbish. "Mistakes are unacceptable" he could just hear his father murmuring. He sighed again, and continued dressing himself. A clean brown and dark green robe with clean brown trousers would do just fine.

After collecting himself, Dai Ren walked to give his report to Li Sheng at the command center. He could judge the time to be sometime in the early afternoon, as the sun had begun casting shadows again. He strode through the halls in his usual manner, with purposeful strides and a stoic look on his face. He wondered idly about the status of the rest of the operation, but knew he'd soon find out what was available. He approached the office he believed to be used for coordinating the campaign, and rapped his knuckles, waiting for a response.

((I'm just assuming an office/indoor type setting would be appropriate, but if you prefer something outdoors, I can change it. Whatever you'd prefer, go for it))
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
Counter, Fortunate, Leader(e), Loyalty, Reversal, Volley
If you need me, PM is the best way
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Granseal

Postby ShadInquis » 25 Sep 2018, 06:51

Li Sheng looked at the returning scout troop. Almost all the the men looked injured in some way or another. It seems the early reports Dai Ren sent about raiders in the west turned out to be even bigger than thought originally.

Li Sheng prepared to receive the report in the same room where the assignment was given. This was a formal military report after all. Two scribes sat in the corner of the room, ready to record every word that was said. In the back, some men were stretching out a large map of the land surrounding the city. And though Li Sheng viewed it as a pointless formality, two fully armed guards stood at the door.

Li Sheng did ask to have tea prepared, but for now it was kept out of sight. One of the guards showed Dai Ren in, before returning to his post.

"Commander Dai, you look worn out. Please sit down and give your report."
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 27 Sep 2018, 13:40

"I assure you captain, I am ready for what needs to be done. These are just a precaution." he said, gesturing to some of the visible bandages, as he sat down. "My orders were to scout the village to the west, bordering the river. My mission was a failure, as my company never reached the village. After only a days march from the city, outriders from this force had spotted my company and began tailing us. At the end of The next day, I hailed their commander as their numbers grew, since they lacked any banner and did not engage us first. This led to our first armed engagement. We had the advantage in numbers, but They were all mounted and a fair compliment of them had bows as well. The fighting was short lived, as they retreated afterwards and lit a signal some distance away. The leader is this contingent was named Qin Yi."

"We regrouped and were going to press on the third day, but as the sun rose the lookouts had spotted a much larger force bearing down upon us. I attempted to have my company of volunteers retreat toward the city, but a large portion of this force was mounted as well, a clean withdrawal would have been impossible. I can attest to this larger force being equipped as well, as I saw heavy infantry, cavalry, and bows among some of their riders as well. "

"I got a good look at their leader. The man styles himself as the 'King of Liangzhou', Ma Han was his name." Dai Ren tightens his right fist at the mention of "King", but continues on. "I attempted to challenge him to a duel, but he refused. The man could very easily have used his entire force to crush my scouting party, but instead he ordered his subordinate, the same Qin Yi from before to engage my company. I'm unsure if it was with the same troops as our last engagement, but again it was his mounted cavalry against my infantry. We held, barely, and Ma Han publicly ordered the punishment of his subordinate for ordering his cavalry to withdraw before my troop was eliminated. The ... 'king' gave me a parting gift of a horse after the combat had finished, and said he wanted a 'real fight' as we left."

"With so many casualties and wounded, I judged it impossible to recon the village with my current strength, and ordered the return march to the city. I'm sure we were followed back to the city, though I saw no presence of scouts or the like." With his initial telling complete, Dai Ren settled into the chair. As much as one with a straight back could be said to settle, anyway.
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby ShadInquis » 27 Sep 2018, 14:37

Li Sheng carefully listened to Dai Ren's report. The two scribes were moving their brushes in unison, quickly recording down all the events. The report suggested that a major threat was growing in the west.

"Well, at least we can rule out this Ma Han from being involved in the events reported by the scouting parties in the south. He seems too direct for these schemes."

He looked up at Dai Ren. "Your disgust in this man's proclamation as king is understabable. Clearly, there there could never be an imperial edict appoing a "King of Liangzhou". I will ask the officials to check the records, maybe we can find something about him.

"He may be a upstart even among his people, and trying to enforce his authority by martial exploits. Or maybe he is so confident that he toys with his enemies. No point speculating. I guess, when he is brought in chains to this room, we can ask him directly.

The real question is: how do we deal with him. Commander, you have seen his troops. How many soldiers do we need to suppress this barbarian?"
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 28 Sep 2018, 15:18

"The man is a fool to proclaim himself king of anything, but he leads a sizeable force. If we were to use the imperial standards for military deployments he and his followers would be ground to dust. As it stands, our current parameters would not suffice for a substantial military engagement. He commands too many troops for a single cohort to manage, and his access to equipment balances out his force well. On paper, the man has covered himself well. I understand we've decided to use volunteers and are holding the military in reserve in case the traitor attacks, but it would take a considerable amount of time for us to train volunteers for organized combat. My recommendations are to give me more troops, allow me use of the military, or send additional commanders with me if enough are present in the field."

Dai Ren leans forward, placing his arms across his knees. "There has been more trouble in the south you say?"

((There was never any specific mention of numbers for me to go off of, but Dai Ren did saunter directly into the enemy formation. I feel like that would give him a pretty good estimation of enemy numbers.))
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby ShadInquis » 28 Sep 2018, 19:51

After a short hesitation, Li Sheng said:

"So it seems we have no choice but to use some of the city troops. It's not ideal, you know as well as I the state of the troops and the armoury in the city. But we can't let this threat be ignored. Now, let's see what we have, here are the latest numbers on our troops.

Yes, there were roaming rebels reported in the south as well as bandits in the forests. Neither of them have been as direct as our "friend" in the west, so we still know little about their power."

Li Sheng gestured for Dai Ren to come closer:
City Military:
City troops: 6,100 (Trained) and 6,450 (Untrained)
On Patrol: 650 (initial strength)

"So that's all we have. And given the state of the 100-man unit you departed with, the numbers of troops on patrol are likely smaller now.

I would say that the untrained troops need to stay in the city, it would be a waste to send them oout before the training is complete. And we obviously need some trained troops to guard the city. With the threats in other directions, I would say one thousand men may be the limit of what we can allocate. Next, the equipment:"

Equipment:
Bows: 2940
Heavy Arms: xxx
Horses: xxx

"The city has bows, but other weapons have only started to be produced, we could get some allocated, but it will not be very many. Maybe a hundred, maybe a little more.

Finally, you could try to recruit some more volunteers. The city will try to put a positive spin on you last engagement, and allocate some funds, so you may be able to recover many of your losses."

(OOC: The force you saw was around 500-700 men by your estimation.
OOC2: I really wish we had more people, as I was going to make this a more "proper" battle with map use and such)
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 30 Sep 2018, 16:25

Dai Ren leaned in to the details, and nodded at the meager information from the southern patrols. It couldn't be helped, and unless the patrols were wiped out more information would be available in the coming days. By his estimation, Li Sheng was quite capable. After being involved for only a short time, he had readily familiarized himself with the layout and organizational structure of Wan and had been placed in charge of coordinating this operation. Quite capable indeed. Dai Ren sat back before responding.

"If messages arrive requesting aid for the southern patrols, I am ready to lead a response. However, if I had one thousand troops and four hundred bows, I would bring this barbarian and his host to heel within the week. I would need a few more things that are non-standard as well, but it would be done. I would rather deploy than spend my time trying to recruit troops directly, as I've not done well with the task previously."

((Indeed! Such is the way it goes i'm afraid. Feast or famine for reals))
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Postby ShadInquis » 03 Oct 2018, 17:33

Fourteen hundred men? That's a lot, but given the situation we have no choice. We will need to get them organised, then you could lead them out. We will need to find some good subordinates to help you command this force.

(OOC: Will see if PorcelainCow or any other player becomes active again, may also post call on Warlords to get a somemore people)
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
ShadInquis
Veteran Officer

Postby UnholyBlade » 07 Oct 2018, 10:52

((Clarification - Dai Ren is asking for 1000 troops equipped with 400 bows, not 1400 troops altogether))

Dai Ren nodded curtly and grunted. "I am aware this isn't within our parameters and it will take some time to allocate these resources, Captain. I'll have a list drawn up of the non-standard materials I'll need as well. I'll get that submitted to you before the end of the day. If anyone volunteers to help me lead the excursion, I would gladly welcome them and brief them myself. Do you have any more questions, sir?"
The Emperor's Aegis
Dai Ren 88-79*-81-20-30
UnholyBlade
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Previous

Return to Simzhou