Player Guide

Forum rules, feedback, speak with game masters, suggestions, etc.

Moderator: Game Masters

Player Guide

Postby Zhang Liao 27 » 23 Mar 2005, 16:57

Just as the title says. This is a thread to help guide the players in playing. Difference from the FAQ and the Staff-made guide? Big difference. This thread is made by the players themselves, through submitted essays on different topics. Wish to add something? Submit it to Zhang Liao 27.....me. :wink: I'll review it and, if I believe it truly is something that will assist the player base or if it covers something somebody else hasn't already covered, it'll be added. This is informal, so don't think the players who submit stuff here are giving away highly guarded secrets.
If you noticed my profile has changed, you need a life. Also, PM me and help me get back into the flow of V6, so I can get rid of mine.
Zhang Liao 27
Servant of Shadowthrone

Location: Let's see how long it takes for someone to notice I changed my Location....
Kingdom: 7/3/2014

Postby Zhang Liao 27 » 23 Mar 2005, 16:58

Zhang Dun wrote:The Tactics of Terrain
-Mei Shu

Sun Tzu's timeless advice, "Know thy enemy and know thyself; find naught to fear in a hundred battles," is an old adage that has held up for many years of our history. However, there is one other thing that must be considered before entering battle with an opponent. Paying careful attention to the terrain and the tactics that can come with it can be a major step in the direction of victory.

There's more to terrain, however, then just where you and your opponent are camped. It is also important to consider the terrain of where the battle takes place. Every terrain requires its own set of tactics, and there are many pros and cons to each type of terrain.

Flat areas, such as plains and forests, usually don't give an advantage of position to either side. However, attention to the vegetation and wetness of the terrain is important. In tall grassy areas and forests, especially during the dry season, caution must be taken against attempted fire attacks, which can quickly burn through dry wood and grass and cause panic among the troops. Also, in forests and tall grasses, one must remain alert for any troops hiding in ambushes.

Hilly and mountainous regions can be beneficial and harmful to anyone encamped in the area.
Camping on a hill or a mountain is especially useful for archery units, who then gain an advantage of position and vision for better shooting at the enemy. Also, storming a hill is difficult, and can be made more so by causing rockslides and rolling other objects to slow the oncoming troops.

However, a downside to hilly areas is that a supply line must be left open. It is difficult to transport goods through hilly areas, and if the enemy can surround a unit on a hill, supplies can be completely cut off. Eventually the troops will starve and/or mutiny, and it will be difficult, if not impossible, to gain victory then.

Areas with gates or fortified cities are excellent places to defend, as the gates and walled cities will be difficult to get into. If care can be taken against people attempting to dig under the wall, and other siege equipment attempting to break through or get people over the wall, a well fortified city or gate can easily be defended for months or even years.

If you are taking the offensive against a fortified city, you have several choices. If the enemy has high morale and many supplies, try to find a way to cut the supply line to the city. Eventually, morale will fall as the supplies diminish, and eventually, the people will revolt and surrender. Another option is to try to find a way to sneak people into the city to open the gates. If you can get inside the city, then the walls mean nothing.

Low terrain is a bad place to camp, especially if you're near a river. During the dry season, everything should be just fine. But if the enemy plans a flood attack and there's lots of rain, get to higher ground or risk being nearly wiped out by a flood attack. This is especially true if the low land happens to be near a river.

Battles on water obviously require boats. Another thing is to have generals and soldiers who have been well trained in combat on water, otherwise your troops will be plagued with seasickness and be unable to fight. Also, while fighting on sea, it is important to watch which way the winds blow. Winds blowing against you will not only impair travel on water, but will also leave the wooden ships at risk of a fire attack.

As you can see, there's a lot to keep in mind when planning the tactics of the terrain. There is no universally best terrain, it is all dependant on your current situation. In conclusion, if you know your enemy, know yourself, and know your terrain, victory will be yours.
If you noticed my profile has changed, you need a life. Also, PM me and help me get back into the flow of V6, so I can get rid of mine.
Zhang Liao 27
Servant of Shadowthrone

Location: Let's see how long it takes for someone to notice I changed my Location....

Postby Zhang Liao 27 » 24 Jul 2005, 09:08

Zhang Dun wrote:The Politics of Chaos
-Mei Shao

In an era when the world under heaven is in division, it is an unfortunate age in which might makes right. However, there is much more to might than just having massive armies or skilled generals. Without a solid civil foundation, no kingdom can stand on its own.

There are many aspects to the politics of cities, and every one of them is important. Without a solid basis in the civil foundation, you will be unable to provide much-needed supplies to any army. Worse still, you may lose the support of the people, then all will go ill for you, as they'll be more likely to riot or revolt.

Agriculture is fairly obvious: it is the development of the fields around the city. Taking care fo the fields you already have and finding a way to expand the fields that you currently have will provide you with food needed to feed both soldiers and population. Hungry soldiers do not fight, and hungry peasants may revolt. Food is only harvested at harvest time, at the end of June and the beginning of July.

Commerce is the lucrativeness of trade within the walls of your city. Working on developing commerce, expanding markets, and attracting new merchants to your city will most certainly be beneficial in increasing the income of the city. A full treasury can fund useful things like further development, recruiting, training, and paying of troops, and payment to officers. Income is usually collected in the form of taxes every three months, but be advised that tax collectors are not a popular crowd among the peasantry, and people will grumble at giving up their hard-earned money to fund their ruler.

Infrastructure is the development of important services within the city, like good health care, the maintaining and establishment of roads, and the education of the future generations of the land. While the more warmongerish rulers mostly develop this as it provides the ability to create advanced weaponry, it is also important to keep your citizens healthy and educated, as it makes a city more attractive to outsiders.

It goes without saying that an unsafe city will never be an attractive one. That's why Public Safety is such an important attribute. An unsafe city will be prone to violence, robberies, and even riots and revolts. It is advisable to maintain patrols as often as possible to keep the people safe, as a safe population will be more likely to support your goals, whatever they may be.

In conclusion, a solid civil base is the foundation for an empire. A ruler will never thrive without the support of the people. Give them what they need, the ability to do their jobs and do them safely and happily, and they will give you what you need: support for your goals and ambitions.
Zhang Liao 27
Servant of Shadowthrone

Return to Hall of Supremacy