Book discussion

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: Book discussion

Postby Jaerdean » 07 Mar 2010, 21:12

My brother, an avid hater of books, handed me a book called The Hunter Games. Anybody heard of it?
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong
Statting: 42-89-82-32-32 Alchemist; Invent; Medic; Mystic

"Hey, you sass that hoopy Yindun Zhe? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Dong Zhou » 09 Mar 2010, 16:54

Not much on the fictional front over last year, the two Ascendants books by James Barclay: Cry of the Newborn and Shout of the Dead. Found it emotionally draining thanks to the tendency for the book to be tragic. Excellent cast and dialogue, Newborn was excellent and far superior to Shout of the Dead. A few Prachett books (tend to lean towards the Watch books), always entertaining, Stardust which was amusing and Death at Intervals by Jose Saramago. If you wish to teach someone the importance of quote marks, Sarmago's work will soon show "" is better then nothing at all. First half, like a certain Prachett book involving a missing death, but slightly inferior, second half too short but sweet. Robert Harris's two books, first one was good, found second a bit bland

Read a lot of biographies (right now, finishing Will Hague's book on Pitt the younger). Particular favourites: Anything by Antonia Fraser, Josephine: A Life of the Empress by Carolly Erickson, Napoleon: The Path to Power 1769-1799 by Philip Dwyer, Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. The Sisters who would be Queen by Leanda De Lisle, 1939: Countdown to War by Richard Overy, Catherine de Medici by Leonie Frieda, Dragon Lady by Sterling Seagrave, Last King of Poland by Adam Zamoyski, The Bloody White Baron by James Palmer despite the nightmares it gave me. England's fragile genius by Richard Holme, Millennium by Tom Holland, The Good Soldier by Gary Mead, Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire by Amanda Foreman

Worst book I have read for some time: Anne Boleyn: A new life of England's tragic Queen by the late Joanna Denny. Should have been called All Catholics of Tudor England were evil and all Evangelicals in the world were saints. Become a Protestant! Catholics Suck! I admit, I enjoyed reading it simply to see how Denny would twist things to make all Catholics look bad but didn't learn much since I couldn't trust the book
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 90-61-70-30-60 Skills: Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby Jaerdean » 30 Mar 2010, 20:36

Jaerdean wrote:My brother, an avid hater of books, handed me a book called The Hunter Games. Anybody heard of it?

It's actually The Hunger Games, and it was an okay book. The ending leaves something to be desired, and the second book, I hear, is rubbish, until the end.
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong

"Hey, you sass that hoopy Yindun Zhe? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Jaerdean » 31 Mar 2010, 02:18

Jaerdean wrote:
Jaerdean wrote:My brother, an avid hater of books, handed me a book called The Hunter Games. Anybody heard of it?

It's actually The Hunger Games, and it was an okay book. The ending leaves something to be desired, and the second book, I hear, is rubbish, until the end.

Well, thanks for making me look dumb, you jack-hole.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. Actually, so far (three chapters in) it seems as good, if not better, than the first. Maybe it's better than your brother gave it credit for?
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong

Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Wei Tong » 01 Apr 2010, 11:05

What?
Hua Zhi (63) 80-7-80-60-75, Arson, Cunning(e), Navy, Riot, Terrain, Wile
Wei Tong
Veteran Officer

Postby Jaerdean » 01 Apr 2010, 22:55

What indeed. What indeed.

But seriously, not the best series. If I were anybody listening to me, I'd go for the Mistborn trilogy (if you were simple and didn't like Wheel of Time.)
v6 Yue Bao zi Kong

Jaerdean
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Postby Han1977 » 19 Apr 2010, 02:57

I just finished reading the 12th Harry Dresden Files series, Changes. Is there the 13th? Anyone know what happen to Dresden next? Its seems like an abrupt end if he just died there at the end of the 12th book.
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-60-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 3
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby Cao Chao » 19 Apr 2010, 12:19

According to his website, Jim Butcher has the books planned out to around Book 20 or so. The next one is tentatively titled Ghost Story.

Singlehandedly ending the war and killing all the Red Court vampires by sacrificing the mother of his child to run that major Mayan blood curse, Dresden must be turning to the dark side! Or rather become more and more in line with Old Testament (eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth) Wrath of God. *calls to mind the Ghostbusters scaring the Mayor of New York* Now that's hardcore.
Cao Jianhe (曹建和), Styled Zhiliang (智亮)
74*-38-114*-88*-81*
Skills: Articulate; Cunning; Invent; Propaganda; Reversal; Rally; Riot; Rumor; Tactician (e); Terrain; Trap; Wile; Zeal
Rank: Colonel Director of Retainers (司隶校尉, Sili Xiaowei, +80 Unit Limit, +80 TP, +70%)

山雨欲來風滿樓
Cao Chao
Shouldn't You Start Your Own Sim By Now?

Kingdom: In the Northwest

Postby Mat » 19 Apr 2010, 14:47

Anyone else here painfully awaiting George R. R. Martin's next installment of the Song of Ice and Fire series? They're allegedly going to start filming the HBO series in the near future and it seems the perfect place to showcase the gritty fantasy world he's created. 8-)
Liu Shentong (162) 71-91-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Han1977 » 19 Apr 2010, 23:51

Cao Chao wrote:According to his website, Jim Butcher has the books planned out to around Book 20 or so. The next one is tentatively titled Ghost Story.

Single handedly ending the war and killing all the Red Court vampires by sacrificing the mother of his child to run that major Mayan blood curse, Dresden must be turning to the dark side! Or rather become more and more in line with Old Testament (eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth) Wrath of God. *calls to mind the Ghostbusters scaring the Mayor of New York* Now that's hardcore.

Bah, he'll never join the dark side, but I agree with the Old Testament part, or maybe the apocalypse part.

Guess I'll wait until Jim Butcher finished writing the 20th book before begin reading the series once more. I almost doing nothing for a week, reading from 1st-12th book. Anyway this Harry is much more a man than the other Harry -> you know the Potter one :D .

Song of Ice and Fire? Is it good? What is it about?
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby Cao Chao » 21 Apr 2010, 12:16

Han, it's an epic fantasy series. And by epic, I mean it's more complicated than Tolkien's LotR. I've had to flip back and forth to keep things straight.
74*-38-114*-88*-81*
Skills: Articulate; Cunning; Invent; Propaganda; Reversal; Rally; Riot; Rumor; Tactician (e); Terrain; Trap; Wile; Zeal
Rank: Colonel Director of Retainers (司隶校尉, Sili Xiaowei, +80 Unit Limit, +80 TP, +70%)

山雨欲來風滿樓
Cao Chao

Postby Han1977 » 22 Apr 2010, 04:23

More complicated than Tolkien's LoTR ? I hope it doesn't contain more character than RoTK, I lost interest in reading RoTK in the later chapter, expescially after most of its initial characters died.

How many books already published ?

Anyone know about the final book of the Wheel of Time? When is it going to be published?

And I want to know about these series too :
- John Rain (Barry Eisler)
- Dragon Keeper Chronicles (Donita K. Paul)
- Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler)
- Percy Jackson
- Marla Masson
- Age of five (Trudi Cannavan)

Any idea which one I should read and which one I should skip?
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby Cao Chao » 22 Apr 2010, 14:00

George R.R. Martin has published four out of the seven planned books. He's still working on the fifth, A Dance with Dragons. And in terms of characters, check this list out, it's quite epic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ch ... e_and_Fire

Uh . . . the last book of the Wheel of Time series was split into three by Brandon Sanderson who was picked to finish Robert Jordan's work - The Gathering Storm (released October 2009), Towers of Midnight (as of April 14, 85% finished), and A Memory of Light (2011 I presume).

If you want a good fantasy set in modern times series, I would suggest Simon R. Green. His Nightside and Secret Histories series are both quite enjoyable. If you liked Jim Butcher's novels, you'll like Simon R. Green's as well.

---

Haven't read any of Eisler's, Paul's, or Pratt's books. The Percy Jackson was good, though there are some who found it too kiddy. Cussler's novels are often quite straightforward and predictable. I enjoyed the Age of Five series.
74*-38-114*-88*-81*

山雨欲來風滿樓
Cao Chao

Postby Han1977 » 23 Apr 2010, 01:34

Thanks for the hint :D , I'll read Percy Jackson first, it would be nice to have some kiddy entertaining novel once and a while.
Huang Dong, 39
Han1977

Postby Kang_Lun » 23 May 2010, 20:42

The Diablo Sin Wars is extremely good. While not amazing, it pulls you in with its vivid imagery and I throughly enjoyed it. But that mite just be becauze im a fan of the Diablo game butwateva XD
V6: Kang Lun
V5: A Chi Lang
Anyone wanna make V6 relations with my next character? PM if you do!
Kang_Lun
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Coco Pebbles

PreviousNext

Return to Kingdom Tavern