Movie Chat

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: Movie Chat

Postby Cao Chao » 31 Jul 2012, 14:02

Han1977 wrote:Anyone here watched The Raid ?

I read reviews and not sure whether I should watch the film or not. Its indonesian film and a long time ago, as Indonesian I decided not to watch Indonesian film unless I can watch it for free on TV :P , but some people said that its really good.

Heard good things about the movie.
Cao Jianhe (曹建和), Styled Zhiliang (智亮)
74*-38-114*-88*-81*
Skills: Articulate; Cunning; Invent; Propaganda; Reversal; Rally; Riot; Rumor; Tactician (e); Terrain; Trap; Wile; Zeal
Rank: Colonel Director of Retainers (司隶校尉, Sili Xiaowei, +80 Unit Limit, +80 TP, +70%)

山雨欲來風滿樓
Cao Chao
Shouldn't You Start Your Own Sim By Now?

Kingdom: In the Northwest

Postby Zhao Xiao » 31 Jul 2012, 18:35

I've seen The Raid

It reminds me of the films my classmates and I used to make in A Level Film and Video. Cost, cast and location constraints forced you to make small and simple movies that don't cause the audience to suspend their disbelief. The Raid is cops vs. robbers in a condo and the story is simply last man standing. There's some minor plot elements like the hero cop's secret connection to the robbers... and the corruption of the police department but its basically a collection of visually awesome action sequences clipped together with sporadic drama.

Not that that is bad or anything. Each fight is unique and entertaining; a knife battle in corridor, gun-fu in an apartment, CQB vs SMG in basement. There's one fight which lasts probably ten minutes; a hero v villain slugging it out in a grimy apartment. I didn't expect Michael Mann style melodrama or Die Hard cheese, and that was cool because it was just plain and simple cops beating the crap outta robbers in the coolest ways possible. I guess the plot wasn't exactly Se7en but at the end of the day its called The Raid?

I enjoyed it. I give it 6/7 our of 10, if only because its a simple idea for a film that they executed pretty awesomely.
Empty
Zhao Xiao
Officer With Many Posts

Kingdom: Seeking XBL buddies

Postby Han1977 » 01 Aug 2012, 01:49

I think you're right, I read many reviews and I guess basically its simple plot with lots of fighting. But it still amaze and excite me to learn that a film from our country get good reviews internationally. I guess I will try to get the DVD and watch :D , I hope the fight is as good as the review said.
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-61-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 52
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby Zhao Xiao » 01 Aug 2012, 10:09

I've been trolling forums recently with people moaning about Dark Knight Rises and its funny because nearly everyone's post ends with their own ideas for a sequel.

SPOILERS
Now I don't want to seem clueless here but I'm pretty certain after the end of the third film 'the legend has finished.' Bruce Wayne is for all purposes dead. Yet people are having trouble letting go. Most want a revival a'la Dark Knight Returns comic by Frank Miller. Unless Nolan is the trolliest of trolls I don't think he'll make another Knight film, let alone bring Wayne back. The real question is will the next Batman film - because there will definitely be another Batman film, I can only imagine how many WB execs are crying out for some money-making sequels - will it be part of Nolan's universe?

Okay, here are the theoretical choices for the next Batman film, as I imagine them in the eyes of those WB execs:

1. Reboot Batman - The Light Knight. Make it more camper/child friendly and tie-in with an upcoming Justice League Movie. Like Iron Man basically.

2. Reboot Batman - The Even Darker Knight. Make Batman into a more Punisher-style vigilante with hockey mask and kevlar. He'd bust into crack dens and mob houses. Ultra gritty realism. High cert.

3. Follow-Up - The Knight Returns. Keep to the same Nolan-verse, style and setting, but bring in another actor to play Wayne and completely ignoring the last film's ending. This time Batman fights the Riddler because that's what everyone wants apparently.

4. New direction - Blake-Man. We follow Blake becoming the new Batman. Introduce the rest of the rogues gallery to the Nolan-verse and start a brand new story.

I think 1 is the most likely answer. I read a neutral article online (I know! Crazy huh?) about how WB is pushing for a big cashcow crossover movie like the Avengers. I personally don't want that. Mostly because DC heroes all wear ridiculous costumes and the idea of Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Flash, Lantern, Martian and god-help-us Aquaman, all prostrating together is laughable to me. I also think the League is kinda redundant with the inclusion of Superman. He can pretty much do everything on his own, and cryptonite seems to work when it feels like it, evidenced in the way a cryptonite keyring can have him comatose but Kal-El doesn't bat an eyelid when lifting entire planets of the stuff :| If my facts are wrong, I apologise, but this is based on the shows and movies.

I would be intrigued by a Blake-Man story because it could be a new batman and new ideas could be put forward like Batman with a family, Batman killing a man, Batman losing. New stories have new possibilities. A Darker Knight story would be a interesting twist too. The rogues would be even more realistic and I guess the action and drama so much more brutal. Killer Croc would be a con with eczema. Joker is just a killer who makes jokes. No makeup. There would be no crazy and ambitious plots, just 'simple' crimes and the dark vigilante must stop them.

One thing I just hope about the next Batman - they forget about the origins. I think by now everyone knows why Wayne donned the cowl. Just get stuck in, like the first Burton Batman.
Empty
Zhao Xiao
Officer With Many Posts

Postby JohannXIV » 01 Aug 2012, 12:00

Zhao Xiao wrote:One thing I just hope about the next Batman - they forget about the origins. I think by now everyone knows why Wayne donned the cowl. Just get stuck in, like the first Burton Batman.

Not to be a jerk, but the first Burton Batman did include the origin story. It set up an emotional conflict between Batman and the Nicholson's Joker. "Did you ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?" ::bang bang::

Followed up in the final show down with:
"You made me!"
"You made me, first" ::punch in the face::

Superheroes are our modern mythology. Hercules greatest feat was his Twelve Tasks, but no one ever forgot that he was the sone of Zeus. Oedipus may have given us a moral lesson on incest, but it was his father's fear that lead to his abandonment and eventual return. The Journey to the West would have been trite if not for the establishment of Sun Wukong's sins and BAMF history. Regardless of how well known an origin story is, it's still critical to the telling of the myth. It always provides the impetus for motion. It defines how the character is extraordinary and where their history diverged from our common experience.

SPOILERS
I expect WB & DC to follow their previous path of extending the series in the same '-verse' as Shumacher did to the Burton movies. My prediction: Given the ending of DKR, Blake doesn't go full Bat and becomes Nightwing. He has his hands full with the Riddler/Killer Croc/Ivy (I predict Ivy). Poison Ivy has a past and Azrael is after her. Nightwing and Azrael are not on the same page, and eventually Wayne returns to settle all bets.
v6 Pre-Game
Starring as Gongsun Zan, Han Sui, and Gan Ning
JohannXIV
PrettyPei Master
PrettyPei Master

Postby Zhao Xiao » 01 Aug 2012, 17:54

Hey if you call Batman '89 a Batman origins film then I'm all for another 'Begins' movie. If I remember it had the Bat bashing goons from the start and then slowly gave glimpses to his past i.e. flowers at alley, Vicky Vale snooping etc. then a small flashback of Napier. That's fine by me. But while watching Amazing Spider-Man I found myself tapping my foot in the cinema and wondering how long til Uncle Ben gets shot and how long til Spidey dons the suit and finds 'responsibility'. They can tap into the past by all accounts but watching a Wayne retrain himself is kinda boring to me. I know it would be a reboot 'n' all but it didn't make me appreciate Amazing Spiderman any more, having to watch the Uncle Ben crap all over again.

Don't get me wrong. Origins stories are great, very useful and exciting... the first couple times. Another Bruce Wayne Origins seems kinda pointless and dull to me.
Empty
Zhao Xiao
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Calistoknight » 02 Aug 2012, 06:14

Well I don't expect there to be another batman in the Nolan-verse. It just wouldn't be the same and I'm not sure you could get all the important people back or would the film have the same feel to it. I find it with the films that doing it based on less popular heroes don't do as well. You can look at Daredevil or the Hulk. Nightwing/Robin arn't really popular compared to batman. Supergirl isn't as popular as Superman. I don't think a movie about Green Arrow would do as well as Batman even if you included the same elements.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do reboots of several DC heroes in an attempt to follow in The Avengers wake, but I havn't heard about that. If they do reboot Batman I think that possibly the best course of action is to just have him established since just about anyone that knows Batman knows his orgin (multi-billionaries watches parents get murdered, uses money to buy expensive toys and fights crime). No need to rehash it, though I think getting whatever mood you want going early on is important.

I mean look at the Dark Knight. You can watch that by itself and enjoy the movie and everything that goes on in it. You don't need to watch the first movie at all. And that's how I think a reboot should proceed, it should just throw us into the action of its own story since the important characters are already established, unless you're going to break tradition when it comes to the universe.
Pre-Game:
Xu Bao (42)
Stats: 66-87-80-40-63
Skills: Arson, Artisan, Craftsman (e), Logistics, Military Engineer, Weaponmaster
Items: None
Calistoknight
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: N/A

Postby Zhao Xiao » 02 Aug 2012, 09:09

Calistoknight wrote:My point

That's exactly what I mean. The only problem I guess is if they have to come up with some other theme or plot that will make the film stand out and not just a superhero film where the hero defeats another dude from the rogues' gallery.
Empty
Zhao Xiao
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Dong Zhou » 14 Aug 2012, 10:40

Recently: The start of a sci-fi franchise, another Indiana Jones film and two very different styles of horror.

Stargate

I can see with hindsight how the basic idea lead to franchise but by itself, the story isn't anything special, it has a few very neat twists but mostly it is a pretty standard sci-fi adventure story. The special effects still hold up very well, love what they do with the villains eyes, but the haircuts of the two male leads aren't great. The title sequence shows lovely detail, combines with great music and slowly builds to a dramatic conclusion but, like a fair few scenes, took to long to contain my interest for the whole thing. The romance was fairly nice, could see it coming but was enjoyable enough until it comes to the big romance moment, then there isn't quite enough fizz in the romance and I didn't care enough beyond "they seem fairly nice" for it have much affect. Characters were done decently enough but again, not enough for me to care in the big dramatic moments. The cast did well enough but have seen better from the likes of Mili Avital, James Spader, Richard Kind and French Stewart. Action scenes were decent, most of the movie was decent with a decent villain, decent dialog and so on but nothing more then a pleasant afternoon's watch that went on half an hour too long.

Overall: Decent enough, bar going on a bit too long, to have a pleasant afternoon watching.
6.0/10

---

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

My father mentioned my sister and I had seen this when much younger but got scared. Can see why I would have been when I was much younger. There was a scene that thanks to video games, was iconic for me and my sister.

First thought: "have we got the wrong movie?" as "Willie" Scott sung and a rather camp spectacular dancing show went on. Second thought was disappointment that it was a prequel so not building on the Jones/Marian/Bellog thing of the first and it does leave me wondering if they explain what happens to Scott or Short Round future in later films (don't tell me though). Overall? For me, the film was a slow starter and mixed feelings which shifted from one phase of the film to another, it rarely felt like a popcorn adventure with a nice romance, intresting characters and so on. It rarely felt much of anything. What it did carry over from the first was humor and some nice touches, like some of camera-work which looked very nice or added something (though some things didn't age well), ditto the props. Dialog could be good, particularly with humor, and I liked the way the way they did the romance which more then made up for lack of time. Some of the props were quite good even now when age has perhaps taken away some of their power, costumes were good. Can see why some took offense at the scenes involving Indians.

Cast was decent with Kate Capshaw playing it with a sense of over the top, the late Amrish Puri had an aura about him and Roshan Seth could have made a decent suave Bond villain.

After the entertaining opening song/dance, there were flashes of humour but mostly found my enjoyment minimal thanks in part to the characters: Indiana's constant use of the word doll got to me, Scott was the type of character you can take in small doses but can be annoying given too long and Short Round is the type that is meant to be cute but feels like it is trying too hard. The story takes considerable time to set itself up, probably too long, and is still setting itself up when things start to go well. Suddenly, three strong comedy scenes, some of the rough edges off the characters so they become considerably more likable and things start clicking. What is odd is the adventure rapidly takes a darker turn and so loses the comic edge but the adventure holds it's own well enough. Some good scenes, some good ideas but some of the scenes do go on too long and by the end, the plot begins to unravel as plot holes emerge and questions remain unanswered. It doesn't stop it being a decent ending but it is noticeable.

So writing could be better. A quicker start, perhaps deciding earlier if going comedy-adventure or serious adventure rather then jumping from one to the other part way through. Going with one villain rather then two would have helped, both had potential but were wasted as suddenly the second appeared with no build up and never imposed himself, for awhile I even thought the second villain was the first one. I have no issue with changing the tone from the popcorn adventure of the first to the more serious second film, though I missed the fun of the first one at times, but this didn't feel like an Indiana Jones movie. It felt like an adventure movie which just happened to have a character called Indiana Jones in it. The only times we really get the sense of characters is in the early comedy, once the adventure starts then it could be (bar one of two Indiana trademarks), any hero with any girl and a childhood sidekick.

Overall: Didn't get into it though my sister enjoyed it
Me: 6.0, Sister: 7.5

---

Let the Right One In/Låt den rätte komma in

The Swedish version.

Came into this knowing it's strong reputation, first few minutes thinking that Oskar was a tad disturbing and that scenes tended to long too long... finished it by mentally adding it a "will see again in ten years", adding it to favourites and wondering quite how to score it. Not a traditional vampire film, would more say it is a drama film with a vampire an important part, and wouldn't call it a horror film either. Bit surprised it only got a 15 rating given some of the content, each adult moment justified and tastefully done but was expecting it to be 18.

Cinematography was beautiful though wonder if one scene would have been better if done differently, music was nice and in some of the later scenes did help with the mood. After the early stages, wouldn't say there was great atmosphere but it did carry a sense of the bleak world by what it showed and the way the film went. Excellent use of special effects and make up, never over the top and helping make an impact when required. Strong dialogue and good writing, glancing at the novel synopsis they do seem to have chosen well where and when to cut down to fit the film, not seen any complaints from those who have read the novel. They do make the vampire in a realistic world mesh together well, making it seem realistic while keeping a slight weirdness of a creature of the night plaguing 1980's Sweden. The film is happy to carry a sense of mystery, leaving things unanswered at times which can be frustrating in other movies but works very well here.

When not concentrating on the moments between the two children, the film is good but not great. The bullying storyline works very well, the bit involving the carer works quite well but one of the other storylines just didn't quite work for me. It has it's role in the overall story but feels like it gets slightly too little time so feels slightly rushed and doesn't click but had one powerful moment. For the big moments, they could build up tension but felt it lacked a bit of emotional power most of the time. Of the cast, felt Peter Carlberg had a bad five minutes at one point but was otherwise good, felt Per Ragnar linked well with Leandersson, Mikael Erhardsson had charisma and power, the rest were good.

The thing that turns the movie from good into something far more is the relationship between Oskar and Eli. They are good when with others, Oskar with the school bullies or his father, Eli with her carer but it was together that they were strongest. On the one hand this is a tale of is two lonely 12 year old children, finding friendship with each other and watching it grow, watching how they affect each other.On the other, you have a dark world with brutal murder and the strangeness that comes with a vampire in your world. Oskar provides the normalcy of a 12 year old boy while Eli both has a sense of being a 12 year old but also carries a sense of mystery/something unusual about her from very early on, something Leandersson pulls off very well that gives another side to their young friendship. Strong performances by the two child actors, plus good voice acting from Ceylan, excellent dialogue plus a sense of both normal children getting to know each other, of normal humanity combined the unusual made for a fascinating watch. Could be very touching and they hit their big moments, including a strong ending.

Sometimes after a film, I rewatch one or two scenes, sometimes I have a think. Let the Right One In was so impressive that I rewatched a lot of scenes and it's storyline made me think for quite awhile. Will probably watch the American version in five or so years to see how it differs and compares. Will certainly watch this again someday.

Overall: A strong central story and relationship combined with the fascinatingly unusual.
8.5/10

---

The Amityville Haunting

In the interests of full disclosure, had a bit more then usual to drink so don't know if that affects my judgement on it. Maybe makes me more susceptible to what it tries to do. Uses the same mass murders as the Amityville Horror series and the remake, then plays it for horror, does seem to make nods to the original film. Otherwise not part of the cycle.

Starts off fairly well, the four youths bantering and teasing like slightly drunk students, glimpses of things to unsettle the nerves and then suddenly builds up the tension in a few great seconds... which is undermined by unnecessary nudity and doesn't quite carry off the scare. After the early attempt to scare, the main family/story comes in. Overall, the story isn't great, will touch on idea's then frustratingly leave them, fail to explain stuff that feels a tad odd and gets itself in a bit of a mess at some points. The characters aren't very deep, well rounded enough to avoid being one dimensional but it allows them to throw in anything they want without it seeming out of character. The habit of having Tyler recap at the end of the day all what we have just seen is rather annoying. Yet it is pleasant enough, the characters aren't unlike-able though Douglas is a bit worrying and can see why Tyler annoys the family, there are flashes of humour and conservations go down pretty well. Once or twice, the use of video-recorder means graphics are deliberately bad/blurry but otherwise looks decent enough and sound quality is good. Had the slight problem of the other Amityville films colouring my view so I was expecting certain characters to do certain things but eventually managed to switch my brain off. Overall, if it wasn't a horror movie then it would be pleasant enough to drift through, as long as the brain is switched off and you don't start analysing the story, but would eventually switch off tv.

As a horror, it's attempts when it goes for a direct scare misfire rather more then it works. Partly because there is a period where it does a certain trick before the scare so you know it's coming. What the film is far better at is slowly creating an unsettling atmosphere, the sort where you leave the light on if your alone in the room for a few minutes. It is good at allowing the camera to linger and then suddenly "did something happen just then?" in an unsettling way or being more obvious with something unusual happening. None of these are scary but it ratchets up the tension, increases the unsettling feeling slowly but surely. In one scene, used music and sound effects very well to make the heart jump. One idea they try to use to further such unease is undermined by the need for better story writing to pull it off and another actually takes some of the tension out. The end phase is a bit hit and miss, on the one hand it is undermined by bad story holes/lack of explanations setting it up, on the other hand it is the scariest part of the whole movie. It really build up the tension and unleashes all it has to try, and fairly succeed, to scare. I was bit uncomfortable with one of the scenes, which I'll put down to looking worse then intended, but unfortunately the scares are undermined by one very very laughable moment.

The decision to have the film as if done by a, admittedly with unrealistically good sound recording, video camera was a good one. I know people dislike the "lost footage" genre and opening up with a claim that it is real footage is just plain ridiculous that loses the film some goodwill. Not seen many of the genre but thought it worked quite well for the film, helping provide a fresh angle and allowing the film to try a few tricks that it couldn't have done with a normal horror film.

Overall: Watched a comedy afterwards to ensure I could sleep without nightmares sort of unsettling.
6.5/10
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 93*-65-70-30-60 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby Zhao Xiao » 28 Sep 2012, 21:15

Has anyone seen the trailer for Cloud Atlas? Not sure I can try and explain the narrative. Its six stories, interweaving the past, present and future lives of peoples' souls through time. Themes appear to be love conquering time and space, and the 'seeds of revolution grown through the ages'. The story with the futuristic Korean metropolis with skybikes appeals to me the most. Its like some Tron/Akira type place.

Cloud Atlas Trailer
Empty
Zhao Xiao
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Zhao Xiao » 30 Oct 2012, 22:33

Empty
Zhao Xiao
Officer With Many Posts

Postby fireshade » 31 Oct 2012, 00:32

Zhao Xiao wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

What?

Yeah, Lucas seems to have decided that now was a good time to sell. Not sure what to think about word of new movies, but I'm hoping for a "Best of Lucasarts" game collection so that Loom and some of the other classics can see the light of day again.
Pre-game: Jia Xu, ???
fireshade
Officer With Many Posts

Location: In that kingdom. No, not that one, the other one. No, the good one.
Kingdom: That one

Postby OneEyedDrgn » 31 Oct 2012, 02:58

I just want to say Seven Psychopaths was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Dark humor and meta jokes at it's finest. :D
Liang Zhuwen 75-95-60-20-30 Charge, Duelist (e), Investigator, Raid, Weaponmaster

v6 (?):Zhen Xian (21) 76-81-60-41-60 Charge, Duelist (e), Investigator, Raid, Weaponmaster
Jia Yunli (24) 38-41-68-81-81 Artisan, Administration (e), Charming, Networking, Propaganda
Xun Lique (30) 67-36-81-60-70 Arrowstorm, Spy, Tactician, Wile (e), Volley

Version 5: Hao Xian zi HuXin (Lawful Good)
OneEyedDrgn
Middle Aged Officer

Kingdom: Karsland

Postby Kakirot83 » 31 Oct 2012, 03:21

I second that. I didn't even really want to go see the movie, but went with some friends anyways. I was extremely suprised at how good that movie was. Thumbs way up here. :mrgreen:
V6 Pre-game:
Jing Yi 81-81-61-40-60
Aid; Ambush; Arson; Loyalty (e); Raid; Stealth; Valor

Julia: This is... ...a dream...
Spike: Yeah... Just a bad dream...

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Marzy - It is not a problem to anybody here but you, just like windmills aren't a problem to anyone but Don Quixote.
Kakirot83
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Dugu Qiusheng

Postby JohannXIV » 31 Oct 2012, 12:07

fireshade wrote:
Zhao Xiao wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

What?

Yeah, Lucas seems to have decided that now was a good time to sell. Not sure what to think about word of new movies, but I'm hoping for a "Best of Lucasarts" game collection so that Loom and some of the other classics can see the light of day again.

The announcement that they'll be starting with episode 7 offers an interesting twist. Disney could pick and choose the best plot-lines and villains from the expanded universe (the Ssi Ruk, Admiral Thrawn, Dark Saber, New Jedi Academy, Clone Emperor) or just toss 15+ years of comics and novels in the trash heap and start from scratch.

Interestingly enough, Mark Hamil has said that Arkham City was the last time he was going to be reprising his roll as the (voice of) Joker. I wonder if he's looking forward to being the old, wizened Master now.
v6 Pre-Game
Starring as Gongsun Zan, Han Sui, and Gan Ning
JohannXIV
PrettyPei Master
PrettyPei Master

PreviousNext

Return to Kingdom Tavern