Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel/Era - Discussion Thread

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel/Era - Discussion Thr

Postby Roughrider » 29 Sep 2012, 20:46

That said...they're probably better off that they didn't write a history of themselves. >_> :lol: In general, folks seem to value their predecessors that they know less about rather than the forces that won and left behind lots of unsavoury records.
Ma Liangyu (19)
81*-112*-79*-40-100*
Artisan, Charming*, Craftswoman, Duelist (e), Investigatress, Jeer, Propaganda, Raid, Weaponmistress (e)
Gold: 380
Rank: General who Manifests Might (+35 Unit Limit, +35 TP)
Roughrider
Marleauwned.

Kingdom: Lord Kan

Postby jiangbao » 05 Nov 2012, 01:01

I just completed watching the entire new series of the romance of the three kingdoms. I had it the longest time but then RL was more important...

anyway point to note was that it portrayed that Sun Quan was actually not in control of his military and he was quite relieve that ppl like Zhou Yu, Lu Meng died giving him final control of his army... something to think about...

Also Cao Pi dying at a young age. He had an illness which he kept a secret from Cao Cao. Which makes one think, if Cao Cao knew that Cao Pi was going to die early, will he make him heir?
Bo Lai, 15
53*-89*-70-30-71*
The Classics of Poetry [treatise] (Cha +1), The Virtues of Command [manual] (Lead +1), level 1 Sword (War +1).
Skills: Craftsman; Duelist; Fortunate; Investigator; Weaponmaster(e)

stats
jiangbao
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Freeicons

Postby Dong Zhou » 11 Nov 2012, 16:41

jiangbao wrote:
anyway point to note was that it portrayed that Sun Quan was actually not in control of his military and he was quite relieve that ppl like Zhou Yu, Lu Meng died giving him final control of his army... something to think about...

Also Cao Pi dying at a young age. He had an illness which he kept a secret from Cao Cao. Which makes one think, if Cao Cao knew that Cao Pi was going to die early, will he make him heir?

Early days, sure Quan seemed very happy to cede control of stuff to varying people. It is somewhat odd though that Quan did delegate quite a lot of command later on, when he had confidence in himself and was hardly a retiring wallflower.

Are we talking has a vision so knows or Pi is sickly and likely to do first scenario? Either way, still seems difficult to replace your eldest son as heir but then he did show a lot of favour to Zhi, outside of executing the wife.
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 93*-66-70-30-60 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby Radical Dreamer » 13 Feb 2013, 19:15

This is going to be a weird request, but I don't have a copy of the novel near me.

Can someone look up the chapter where Hua Tuo cures the rot in Guan Yu's arm after the invasion of Jing and tell me what sound effect the book uses for the scalpel? :wink:
YOU WILL NEVER BE RID OF ME.
Radical Dreamer
Puts the Sleeping in Sleeping Dragon

Kingdom: #ZiTongLivesMatter

Postby Marzy » 13 Feb 2013, 22:05

Hua Tuo parted the flesh, exposing the bone: it was already coated green. The knife made a thin, grating sound as it scraped the surface, until everyone present blanched and covered his face.

My copy's a Moss Roberts translation. It's pretty early in Ch. 75 for future reference.
Kunhua | 36 - 40 - 82 - 75 - 78 | Acumen; Alchemist; Medic; Riot; Rumor; Spy; Stealth (e)
Guest spots: Lu Bu, Zhang Song

/|
(゚、 。 7  - NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN
 l、 ~ヽ   
 じしf_,)ノ
Marzy
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Kingdom: Minzhe-land?

Postby Radical Dreamer » 14 Feb 2013, 00:17

Marzy wrote:
Hua Tuo parted the flesh, exposing the bone: it was already coated green. The knife made a thin, grating sound as it scraped the surface, until everyone present blanched and covered his face.

My copy's a Moss Roberts translation. It's pretty early in Ch. 75 for future reference.
I could have sworn it put in an actual effect. Oh well, mine must have been an odd translation. I'm going to have to dig through my room to find my copy now.
Radical Dreamer

Postby fireshade » 14 Feb 2013, 00:18

The surgeon then performed the operation as he had pre-described. He found the bone much discolored, but he scraped it clean. When the knife went over the surface of the bone and made horrible sounds, all those near covered their eyes and turned pale. But Guan Yu went on with his game, only drinking a cup of wine now and again, and his face betrayed no sign of pain.

Here's the Brewitt-Taylor translation. Thin, grating sound vs. horrible sounds
Pre-game: Jia Xu, ???
fireshade
Officer With Many Posts

Location: In that kingdom. No, not that one, the other one. No, the good one.
Kingdom: That one

Postby Radical Dreamer » 14 Feb 2013, 00:25

Okay, I found it. Mine is the Brewitt-Taylor as well. Must be an earlier edition.

The surgeon then performed the operation as he had predescribed. He found the bone much discolored, but he scraped it clean. "Hsi, hsi," went the knife over the surface, and all those near covered their eyes and turned pale.
Thanks for the help, guys. :wang:
Radical Dreamer

Postby fireshade » 14 Feb 2013, 00:29

Interesting. I'll admit that my quote comes from the online editon from http://www.threekingdoms.com, as my hard copy is a Moss Roberts translation.
Pre-game: Jia Xu, ???
fireshade
Officer With Many Posts

Location: In that kingdom. No, not that one, the other one. No, the good one.
Kingdom: That one

Postby Radical Dreamer » 14 Feb 2013, 00:33

Yeah, I've had my two volumes for about ten years now. I remember specially ordering them from the local bookstore, because they didn't have them. Got them after playing RoTK 7.
Radical Dreamer

Postby Korin » 14 Feb 2013, 21:17

I have the four book set (marble paperback) and I notice there's different quotes/words differences from BT translation to the MR translation. I think because these two men used different resources to translate the book?
Inactive.
Korin
Ranking Officer

Postby Xeniphon » 14 Feb 2013, 22:28

Whenever you have a translation situation there will almost always be dissagreement on the proper translation since to transcribe from one language to another you must always make choices between intent and grammar that can drasticly change the meaning of a sentence with even the slightest change in choices. This is why they are citing their translations, so there is no confusion between different translations.
Oh well, back to the drawing board...

V6 Character: Now Undecided
Xeniphon
SimRTK's Own Cyborg
SimRTK's Own Cyborg

Postby OneEyedDrgn » 22 Jul 2013, 18:15

I have always wondered, what exactly was Guo Jia's personality that made him a somewhat difficult person? Sanguozhi states, "Chen Qun had chastised Guo for his rough behavior in the court but Guo had always taken it in stride." In Dynasty Tactics 2, he's seen as villainous and even says he isn't a "proper" officer. DW gives him his flirtatious and casual persona. RoTK games give Guo Jia a very sub-part Cha stat, so Koei seems to be aware that he had some personality issues.

Does anyone have more info on what exactly was these personality issues?
Liang Zhuwen 75-95-60-20-30 Charge, Duelist (e), Investigator, Raid, Weaponmaster

v6 (?):Zhen Xian (21) 76-81-60-41-60 Charge, Duelist (e), Investigator, Raid, Weaponmaster
Jia Yunli (24) 38-41-68-81-81 Artisan, Administration (e), Charming, Networking, Propaganda
Xun Lique (30) 67-36-81-60-70 Arrowstorm, Spy, Tactician, Wile (e), Volley

Version 5: Hao Xian zi HuXin (Lawful Good)
OneEyedDrgn
Middle Aged Officer

Kingdom: Karsland

Postby Dong Zhou » 23 Jul 2013, 17:55

The line about Chen Qun could mean so many things about Guo Jia's behaviour, could be as little as simply being a little unrefined or something far worse. It is difficult to tell and there doesn't seem to be anything that indicates Guo Jia was an issue for some other then that one line
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 93*-66-70-30-60 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Postby Cao Chao » 24 Jul 2013, 01:22

The translation should not be "rough behavior" but rather "improper behavior."

Guo Jia was known to be uninhibited in his dealings with individuals, a kind of personality that probably rubbed the more stern and serious Chen Qun the wrong way.
Cao Jianhe (曹建和), Styled Zhiliang (智亮)
74*-38-114*-88*-81*
Skills: Articulate; Cunning; Invent; Propaganda; Reversal; Rally; Riot; Rumor; Tactician (e); Terrain; Trap; Wile; Zeal
Rank: Colonel Director of Retainers (司隶校尉, Sili Xiaowei, +80 Unit Limit, +80 TP, +70%)

山雨欲來風滿樓
Cao Chao
Shouldn't You Start Your Own Sim By Now?

Kingdom: In the Northwest

Previous

Return to Kingdom Tavern