Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel/Era - Discussion Thread

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel/Era - Discussion Thread

Postby Junts » 19 Jul 2003, 13:42

This is not the Scholar of Shen Zhou, and we don't need 6 topics devoted to discussing the same subject here. I don't know we've ever had so many at once before, but here you go. You have a thread, you can use it for any RTK historical, novel, period discussion you want. Best 5 generals, etc, etc. If you want a whole forum devoted to it, go to SoSZ.
The extraordinarily ancient Liu Cao of ages past.
<Elysia> I am the simRTK MILF
Junts
Ely's Pet Rock

Kingdom: Mine!

Postby Junts » 19 Jul 2003, 13:48

Sleepin_Dragon wrote:yeah i think zhang fei kinda got overshadowed by the successes of his other brothers, he in SGYY died in an off hand manner so its like he did nothing except bark at people.

I'm sorry, but I direct you to the histories of the period wherein you can learn that Zhang Fei was quite possibly the -most- accomplished of the Five, and yes, that means more accomplished than his brother Yunchang. I'm sure this fact will offend you, but it's true nonetheless.
Junts
Ely's Pet Rock

Postby Dei Lu » 19 Jul 2003, 17:07

Our poor "5 General" threads...they were doing so well too. Junts, I will have your head for this! I will end your reign of tyranny! Just, not right now. But watch your back!

Anyway, Wu has the best 5 Generals! Lets see here...according to my thread they are...

Gan Ning
Cheng Pu
Huang Gau
Lu Xun
Lu Meng

You all know that they would destroy Shu and Wei's generals! (Trying to get somethin going here. Wouldnt want Junt's new thread to go to waste)
Dei Xin
Stats: 83-64-67-55-32
Skills: Aid, Arson, Cavalier, Charge, Footsoldier, Leader, Raid, Scout, Valor
Dei Lu
Dude, where's my horse?

Postby JiangXun » 19 Jul 2003, 17:17

For Wu the five best generals are....

LuXun
ZhouYu
HuangGai
GanNing
LuSu

Best general for Shu.......
Guan Yu

Best ruler......Either Sun Ce or Cao Cao for military, and Liu Bei for "people-skills" :wink:
JiangXun, 26, 81*-51*-89-36-67
logistics, medic(e), mystic, reversal, terrain, Trap

General of the Champions (+35 Unit Limit, +40 TP)

Lo, said they! La Belle Dame Sans Merci enthrall thee!
JiangXun
Middle Aged Officer

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby Taishi Guang » 19 Jul 2003, 17:18

Dei Lu wrote:Our poor "5 General" threads...they were doing so well too. Junts, I will have your head for this! I will end your reign of tyranny! Just, not right now. But watch your back!

Anyway, Wu has the best 5 Generals! Lets see here...according to my thread they are...

Gan Ning
Cheng Pu
Huang Gau
Lu Xun
Lu Meng

You all know that they would destroy Shu and Wei's generals! (Trying to get somethin going here. Wouldnt want Junt's new thread to go to waste)

Remember that that last comment you made could be considered Trolling, but I know that you just want a discussion going.

Well, I'll agree with Lu Xun and Lu Meng.... Cheng Pu and Huang Gai were good, but they weren't anything extrordinary. And Gan Ning was pretty much a chump. He fought in a few battles for Sun Ce and Wu, but was not nearly as accomplished or skilled as Lu Xun, Lu Meng, Cheng Pu, Huang Gai, Lu Su, Sun Huan or Xu Sheng.

Wei's 'official' 5 generals, Zhang He, Xu Huang, Yu Jin, Yue Jin and Zhang Liao were a bit more talented than any group Wu could muster. Afterall, those 5 helped Wei to repel the countless invasions of Wu at He Fei and Xiang Yang and also to conquer the west from Zhang Lu and Ma Chao.

Shu-Han's original '5 Tigers', Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Huang Zhong, Ma Chao and Pang Tong were a pretty solid group, except Ma Chao. If the group had been Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Wei Yan, Liao Hua and Zhang Ren (had he joined Liu Bei) Shu would definitely have the best group out of them all.... although it would be close in may repsects.
"... no army ever got beat because an enemy sat there hurling insults." -Unknown

"We're all gonna die. I'm going to do it having actually made an attempt to enjoy my life as opposed to being too overly concerned about the potential risks of my hobbies." - Strong Bad
Taishi Guang
Master of the Obvious

Postby JiangXun » 19 Jul 2003, 17:22

Taishi Guang wrote:
Shu-Han's original '5 Tigers', Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Huang Zhong, Ma Chao and Pang Tong were a pretty solid group, except Ma Chao. If the group had been Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Wei Yan, Liao Hua and Zhang Ren (had he joined Liu Bei) Shu would definitely have the best group out of them all.... although it would be close in may repsects.

Why Liao Hua, he didn't do much...if i remember correctly....

I also would have liked to see Zhang Ren surrender. And Wei Yan was too much of a trouble maker to be consider a "Tiger General" regardless of how good a general he really was.

JiangXun
Middle Aged Officer

Postby Jimayo Oyamitch » 19 Jul 2003, 17:42

JiangXun wrote:Why Liao Hua, he didn't do much...if i remember correctly....

I also would have liked to see Zhang Ren surrender. And Wei Yan was too much of a trouble maker to be consider a "Tiger General" regardless of how good a general he really was.

Historically, Liao Hua did a lot. Much more than is mentioned in the novel, but he didn't come to primacy until later in Shu(after the five tigers were all dead mainly).
"THE SIGN... ON THE BACK OF THE CAR... SAID CRITTERS OF HOLLYWOOD... YOU DUMB ****!!!!"

Jay & Silent Bob(balance, v1) 80-85*(-9, injury)-86*-60-65
Skills: Arson, Doctor, Mystic, Navy, Rally, Sap, Study, Trade, Wealth
Jimayo Oyamitch
Veteran Officer

Postby JBL » 19 Jul 2003, 17:46

Best Wu Generals...

Gan Ning
Cheng Pu
Lu Xun
Zhou Yu
Taishi Ci

Best Shu General....

Guan Yu or Zhao Yun.

Best Ruler
Sun Ce. He would of got far just unlucky that he died so soon. If he had lived i think the outcome would have been alot different.
Lu Shun (32) 70-70-60-70-70 "The One That Got Away"
Skills: Artisan, Breeder (e), Craftsman, Invent, Military Engineer, Scribe
JBL
The Wrestling God

Kingdom: Admins

Postby Sun Tang » 19 Jul 2003, 17:47

Cao Bao wasnt used to his full potential. I think he is underated.....ok maybe not,maybe he is pretty dumb. But didnt he fight Zhang Fei and didnt he steal red hare?
Sun Tang
Stalking Xiahou Mao

Postby JiangXun » 19 Jul 2003, 17:55

Nobody stole Red Hare, although somebody did try, until they found out it was Guan Yu's. It was Pei Yuan Shao....i think....

JiangXun
Middle Aged Officer

Postby zhou yun » 19 Jul 2003, 18:00

I think they did steal it but Pei Yuan Shao returned it.

The farmers son stole and tried to give it to Pei but then Guan Yu heard the comotion and came out.

All the farmers son got was a red hare hoof print as he was spared by Guan Yu as the farmer begged him to spare hi son and was kinda enough to let Guan Yu dine with them.

Think thats how it gos.. but my memory is a bit fuzzy
Zhou Yun (28)
Leadership: 77 War: 71 Intelligence: 71 Politics: 43Charisma: 59
Military Engineer, Siegecraft, Leader, Inspire, Reversal, Valor,
zhou yun
Experienced Officer

Postby Jimayo Oyamitch » 19 Jul 2003, 18:09

Gan Ning wrote:Best Wu Generals...

Gan Ning
Cheng Pu
Lu Xun
Zhou Yu
Taishi Ci

Best Shu General....

Guan Yu or Zhao Yun.

Best Ruler
Sun Ce. He would of got far just unlucky that he died so soon. If he had lived i think the outcome would have been alot different.

Guan Yu and Zhao Yun belong in the third spot. Zhang Fei, easily best, followed by Huang Zhong.

As for Sun Ce, he was very good, but a bit impulsive, I think he would of overextended himself eventually.
"THE SIGN... ON THE BACK OF THE CAR... SAID CRITTERS OF HOLLYWOOD... YOU DUMB ****!!!!"

Jimayo Oyamitch
Veteran Officer

Postby cho yu » 19 Jul 2003, 18:17

zhou yun wrote:I think they did steal it but Pei Yuan Shao returned it.

The farmers son stole and tried to give it to Pei but then Guan Yu heard the comotion and came out.

All the farmers son got was a red hare hoof print as he was spared by Guan Yu as the farmer begged him to spare hi son and was kinda enough to let Guan Yu dine with them.

Think thats how it gos.. but my memory is a bit fuzzy

I just read that about 3 days ago. Nope they didn't steal it at all, when that kid came up and tried to steal it he was saved by his old man but the as Guan Yu rides along a road he sees some horseback bandits and it was lead by Pei Yuan Shao. He didn't steal the horse cause it was Guan Yu on that horse. I think that's how it went.
cho yu
Veteran Officer

Postby Junts » 19 Jul 2003, 18:17

Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:
JiangXun wrote:Why Liao Hua, he didn't do much...if i remember correctly....

Historically, Liao Hua did a lot. Much more than is mentioned in the novel, but he didn't come to primacy until later in Shu(after the five tigers were all dead mainly).

An interesting fact, leading to the suggestion that there's almost no way that Liao Hua could've really been a Yellow Turban (he'd be way too old by the post-Liu Bei era).
Junts
Ely's Pet Rock

Postby Jimayo Oyamitch » 19 Jul 2003, 18:19

Junts wrote:
Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:Historically, Liao Hua did a lot. Much more than is mentioned in the novel, but he didn't come to primacy until later in Shu(after the five tigers were all dead mainly).

An interesting fact, leading to the suggestion that there's almost no way that Liao Hua could've really been a Yellow Turban (he'd be way too old by the post-Liu Bei era).

Not really. He died in his 80's. Huang Zhong was a fighting geezer.

Jimayo Oyamitch
Veteran Officer

Next

Return to Kingdom Tavern