Dynasty Warriors - Discussion Thread

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: Dynasty Warriors - Discussion Thread

Postby Zalktis » 10 Jan 2015, 21:14

I realy would like PC games to be released without Steam so DRM oponents like me also can enjoy it. But well, I guess one should be thankfull that it is released on PC at all.
Zalktis
Officer

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby Mat » 11 Jan 2015, 02:15

Zalktis wrote:I realy would like PC games to be released without Steam so DRM oponents like me also can enjoy it. But well, I guess one should be thankfull that it is released on PC at all.

Head over to gog.com. All of their games are DRM-free. They have a much smaller selection than Steam, though.
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Bya Kou » 11 Jan 2015, 06:19

Am I the only one who misses the old DW3 Morale and battle systems? Each battle felt like an adventure!! Working out who assassinated who and the conditions to make it happen, how to prevent Hua Xiong from getting decapitated by Guan Yu without actually killing officers off...

*sigh*

And the morale system...

Nostalgia.
Bya Kou
Officer

Postby Orsted » 11 Jan 2015, 15:21

Zalktis wrote:I realy would like PC games to be released without Steam so DRM oponents like me also can enjoy it. But well, I guess one should be thankfull that it is released on PC at all.

I'm right there with you brother, I'm also not thrilled with valves draconian DRM. If DW8XL has taught Koei anything its that there is an untapped market for their hack n' slash titles on PC's.

Bya Kou wrote:Nostalgia.

Have you given DW8XL a try? It has a lot of what if scenarios and completing certain objectives has effects on later stages.
V5: Mao Wurong(25) (Styled: Lanhu)
94*-94*-64-43-61 Ambush, Arson, Charge(e), Formation(e), Rally, Valor, Wall

V4:Yuan Cui-The only man to become ruler.. by asking nicely...
Orsted
Experienced Officer

Postby Zalktis » 13 Jan 2015, 10:57

Mat wrote:Head over to gog.com. All of their games are DRM-free. They have a much smaller selection than Steam, though.

Yeah GOG is great. Every time a modern-ish game I am even vaguely interested in comes out on GOG, I grab it. And of course the old titles (the "hm, I really should play cossacks: european wars agian" or "come to think of it, I never finished commandos 2 when I was a kid" effect). Unfortunately many games only come out as versions with steamworks DRM meaning even if you bought them at another store (gamersgate, greenmangaming, etc.) you still have to register and execute them through steam. That's why GOG's selection is that much smaller: All those games are missing because of GOG's no DRM ever policy.
Zalktis
Officer

Postby ShadInquis » 13 Jan 2015, 15:02

Steam is about as close as most big titles today get to being DRM-free. Since you can play offline, it's usually not a problem. Unlike the likes of Uplay which are a horrible mess.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Zalktis » 14 Jan 2015, 09:12

ShadInquis wrote:Steam is about as close as most big titles today get to being DRM-free. Since you can play offline, it's usually not a problem. Unlike the likes of Uplay which are a horrible mess.

Oh yeah, it in no way comes close to Uplay and similar systems, which are a damn train wreck. But there being worse alternatives doesn't make Steam less bad. The problem is that Steam is a third party software getting between you and your game regardless of where you bought it. Valve has set up quite an elegant system of DRM and store tie in to satisfy big publisher DRM-craving and to force customers to be exposed to their store. Throw in TF2 and DotA2 as free to play and undisputablly high quality titles and you have the majority of PC-gamers suffering Stockholm syndrome from a DRM measure they would otherwise hate.

The saddest thing is: Steamworks isn't even particularly effective DRM. Steam titles are being offered by pirates as freely as games with other kind of DRM. The only actually effective anti-piracy measure today is to comb through one-klick-hosters and flag pirated versions of your game for removal, which is basically just a game of whack-a-mole. And you can't even say, that it is the least bad option. There is actually the option of releasing games DRM-free and counting on consumer good will as piracy prevention measure. CDProject tried this with Witcher 2 and think, it worked out well enough to repeat it with Witcher 3.

Back to topic: All that being said I can't be mad at KOEI for going for Steam to appease their execs. Japanese games releases in the west are sparse and late enough as it is. And it is even worse with PC versions. So I am genuinely happy that it is released on PC at all.
Zalktis
Officer

Postby Ekon » 14 Jan 2015, 16:51

To be honest I didn't even realize Steam counted as a DRM service till a few months ago since its never really blocked me from playing games and I've never had issues with being offline and it not working.

Either way though I'm really excited for DW 8 Empires, ended up going back and playing RotTK 8 and Empires 7 to get a bit of a feel for it again. (Also DW 8 XL's ambition mode is just about unplayable for me cause it feels like a really watered down Empires). Just need to complete the Shu and Wei hypothetical routes before it comes out so I can leave XL as all completed when I move on.
Pre-Game

Nuan Yuen
60-35-70-80-75
Articulate, Charming, Formation, Negotiator (e), Scribe, Fortunate
Ekon
Officer

Location: The moose outside the window might give you an idea

Postby OneEyedDrgn » 17 Jan 2015, 09:26

Apparently there's still no ending event stills from the old Empire games in this new one.

Why Koei why. It was so fun watching Lu Bu save puppies, Cao Cao hitting on women, Xiahou Dun flipping a go table.
Liang Zhuwen 75-95-60-20-30 Charge, Duelist (e), Investigator, Raid, Weaponmaster

v6 (?):Zhen Xian (21) 76-81-60-41-60 Charge, Duelist (e), Investigator, Raid, Weaponmaster
Jia Yunli (24) 38-41-68-81-81 Artisan, Administration (e), Charming, Networking, Propaganda
Xun Lique (30) 67-36-81-60-70 Arrowstorm, Spy, Tactician, Wile (e), Volley

Version 5: Hao Xian zi HuXin (Lawful Good)
OneEyedDrgn
Middle Aged Officer

Kingdom: Karsland

Postby Dong Zhou » 10 May 2017, 08:26

Lots of new info out on DW9, Cheng Pu added and koei warriors has a list of the new stuff announced

Sounds like they are trying a real revamp and so pleased with that. Time will tell if weather and can sneak into castles is a siege weapons type underwhelming add or something substantial. I hope boats don't cost too much :P No what-if's make sense, good that non-Naman tribes will get a role, yay archery

Was always going to be concerned about individual story modes coming back. Clearly playing Guan Yu and Liu Shan will be very different, how will they make it worth me playing Guan Yu and then Zhang Fei? Will it be just a little variety of dialogue or something worth the time of playing an early Shu character again? I like the idea of doing little missions to build up to the final mission of that stage and hopefully character final battles will have oomph

Never been a big Cheng Pu fan, partly the overhype about him from those who wanted him as an add. Invaluable to Wu certainly, every kingdom needs a gentleman Cheng but in terms of DW, not stocked with relations, only hints at personality and "we can turn this deed into cool event" is basically Zu Lang ambush and falling out with Zhou Yu. I'm hoping they give some wit and don't overegg the old hand issue
<stattingXe> Dong Yan 65-63-89-70-74 Statting (e)

Li Jun (160) 93*-66-70-30-60 Aid, Blitz, Charge, Leader, Scout, Vehemence

Officer Profile

PM me if I'm in an rp with you and haven't responded, just means I forgot or missed your post. Or PM if you want an RP
Dong Zhou
I'm A Diversion!
I'm A Diversion!

Kingdom: None

Previous

Return to Kingdom Tavern