Fantasy Football 2013 discussion.

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Fantasy Football 2013 discussion.

Postby Sun Tang » 20 Aug 2013, 23:01

2013 thread to talk about Fantasy football.

Halfway into the preseason some teams look to be improved much from last year, as well as many players. I am pretty sure the usual teams will continue to thrive, but i am also wondering which teams will drastically improve and which will just roll over and flop around.

So. Let's talk football! Who is gonna be a bust? What picks are really risky but very high reward and lets hear about some sleepers.

Based off many variables, almost all experts are predicting which teams will have the toughest all around schedules. Below is a list, with teams at the top with the hardest and teams on the bottom with the easiest projected schedule. I took this into consideration when drafting my fantasy team. I do like to sometimes (not too often) pick up players who stand out on teams with low overall rankings too sometimes, because they tend to be the big play makers and really shine. The panthers will have a really tough time this year and on their first game they will play the chiefs. I made a gamble and decided to draft 3 QB's whom i will rotate based on the schedule and the QB i am starting first is Alex Smith of KC to go against Jacksonville. I think this is going to have a huge payoff in this match up. I also picked up Brandon Weeden, i really think he is a sleeper this year.

Well what do you guys think? It is my first year doing fantasy football, but i have always been interested in it and kept up with my family and friends who do it. Finally took the plunge haha.

Panthers - toughest schedule.
Saints
Rams
Lions
Ravens
Packers
Cardinals
49ers
Dolphins
Seahawks
Vikings
Jaguars
Bengals
Patriots
Falcons
Bears
Buccaneers
Redskins
Eagles
Jets
Steelers
Browns
Titans
Giants
Cowboys
Chiefs
Bills
Texans
Raiders
Colts
Chargers
Broncos - easiest schedule

Here are some of the players i picked up

QB - Josh Freeman, Alex Smith, Brandon Weeden.
RB - Trent Richardson, Matt Forte, Pierre Thomas.
WR - Demaryius Thomas, Desean Jackson, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings. Kendell Wright.
TE - Gronk and Jason Witten (I hope Gronkowski gets better soon!)

LB - Clay Mathews, Paul Kruger (sleeper i think), Wesley Woodyard.
S - Charles Woodson, Thomas Decoud, Reggie Nelson, Tayshon Gipson. (think Gipson will be a surprise, hope good one lol)
Sun Tang
Stalking Xiahou Mao

Re: Fantasy Football 2013 discussion.

Postby Mat » 21 Aug 2013, 23:54

Just a heads-up you'll probably get a lot more activity in this thread after the simrtk draft. The players there probably don't want to divulge their draft strategies regarding sleepers and whatnot.

Unless they want to spread misinformation, of course.

"No, seriously guys, I think Mark Sanchez is going to have a HUGE year. You should totally draft him." ;)
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Kakirot83 » 22 Aug 2013, 02:40

Mat wrote:Just a heads-up you'll probably get a lot more activity in this thread after the simrtk draft. The players there probably don't want to divulge their draft strategies regarding sleepers and whatnot.

"No, seriously guys, I think Mark Sanchez is going to have a HUGE year. You should totally draft him." ;)

Meh, I don't mind giving my opinions, after all, nothing says their right, or that people believe them. :P

Schedule, while nice to think about, more often then not, means beans. Honestly, every year, some teams over-perform, and some teams under-perform. What should've been the toughest defense starts letting people get 100+ yards rushing, and defenses that should suck, toughen up. It's hard to rely on schedule, because things aren't static one year to the next.

Sure, we can probably be safe in assuming, say, Oakland will suck this year, but what about teams in a little more transition?

Take the Browns for example. I'm not saying, they'll be amazing, but I expect more out of them this year, then last. A lot of their offense, is second year, instead of being first year. Trent Richardson? Have you looked at how many catches he had as a rookie? 51 I believe. If it's PPR, that's good, because he's going to get better.

1. Second year.

2. NORV TURNER. Norv is a guy, who always manages to blow as a head coach, but do amazingly as an OC. Oddly, him being awesome as an OC, is why he's gotten chances as a head coach. He likes deep passes, and power running. Previous running backs under Norv: Emmit Smith, Ricky Williams (when he was in Miami, before he left to smoke a bunch of pot, get broke, and then try getting back into the game), and LT. Sure, he's not ALL of why they did good, but he was around for them. :wink: The better the offense, the easier for Defenses to do good, and vice-versa. To me, the Browns could improve, and are one of the reasons, Schedules mean little to me.

A lot of the players you named, seem like you're looking for 'steals' and value, not the hardcore workhorses of a team. Depending on how many teams you have in a fantasy league, how you score things, and if you have limits/minimums on drafting each position, those could work, but I'd want to be a little more 'safe', with what I'm reviewing.

I don't care who you are, if you're in a PPR league, and Adrian Peterson is gone, don't sweat taking a RB first round. And I mean, anywhere in the first round. If you're in a PPR league, Calvin Johnson is a beast, and honestly, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, and even Julio Jones, are not going to be far behind.

Calvin Johnson: Nuff said. He's CALVIN JOHNSON.

AJ Green: Oddly, I'm not sure most people know this, but skill set wise, AJ is the closest in mold, to Calvin. Their essentially the same heights, same skill set, and same play style, the only big difference, is Calvin has like, 15% better hands right now, and about 25-30 pounds more muscle. Yes, the big difference between them is only weight, and I acknowledge, that it is muscle, because Calvin is a beast. 8-)

Brandon Marshall: Did you know, that Jay Cutler sucked hard last year? did you also know, Brandon didn't seem to care, and was literally like 50%+ of Jay cutler's stats? How did Jay get worse, and Brandon get THAT much from him? Called SKILLS. :wink:

Julio Jones: Just like AJ Green, he's young, going into his third year (magic year for wide receivers), and he's what matters on that team. Roddy White is a good, but I think we all know JJ is the future there, and Roddy is just becoming the best number 2 guy. :wink:

I like any of those 4 guys, over people like Doug Martin, Arian Foster, and Marshawn Lynch. And if you aren't one of those 3 guys or AP, you don't matter. Period.

DON'T draft QB's in the first round, it's just a waste. 32 teams have a QB play each week, and 16 of them win games, so AREN'T CRAP. Of those 16, 1-5 pass for crazy yards and/or crazy TD's, and the other 9, are really not far behind. YES, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees will do the best, but really, there's only like, a couple of hundred yards, and 2-8 TD's difference between them, and people you can take 2 rounds after them. Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, RG III, Russell Wilson, and even people like Eli Manning, can run your football team, and you might take Eli 6 rounds after Drew Brees. Why pay so high.

TE this year, is hard. It's always a weird position, but lot of rookies there, a lot of injuries happening, and people like Aaron Hernandez is bye-bye, so really, there's like 3. The only 4 I'd touch, early (early being 3rd, 4th, or 5th round) are: Jimmy Graham, Jason Witten, Vernon Davis, and Tony Gonzalez. Now, Davis is weird, because for the past 3 years, he's been getting worse, and Kaep didn't help him, his style of play hurt him, so he's only a maybe to me. Graham is a no brainer, as the last real 'elite' TE left on the board, not injured, and not in trouble with the law (making a career over). Witten is still good, but he doesn't get TD's anymore, Dallas drafted a TE, but to save him, how the hell did he get 110 catches last year?!! That's just INSANE for a TE. Look at it, IT REALLY IS. Tony Gonzo makes the list, because somehow, he defies all reason, and is good at 37. after that, again, you might as well wait a while on other TE's, because at that point, you're just HOPING they do good, you don't know it.

The problem WITH those though, is, will you have to reach for them? Taking jimmy Graham is awesome, but don't be stupid about it. You don't want to take him first round, or second round, and maybe not even third, after all, you want to be getting the foundation of a team: WR's and RB's. TE's are nice, but if someone else wants to reach early 3rd/late 2nd just to 'make sure' they get Jimmy, go ahead, screw yourself at RB or WR, and take a TE.

People I'm eyeing: Trent Richardson, Reggie Bush, ALL rookie RB's, Stevie Johnson, David Wilson, Vincent Jackson, and a few others. I left out the obvious ones (I don't need to watch Calvin or Adrian, or most of those are top tier, cuz, they're top tier. You know they're good, because they're good.), so those are more of what I'm pondering over, thinking if they fall, or are the right price, they could make good seconds or late firsts at their positions for me. I plan on taking WR's early, and watching people scramble that stick to the idea, that RB's build their team, and laugh that RB's a little thicker at the position them most other positions (except QB's).

I play mainly PPR, so take it with a grain of salt, if you don't. :wink:
V6 Pre-game:
Jing Yi 81-81-61-40-60
Aid; Ambush; Arson; Loyalty (e); Raid; Stealth; Valor

Julia: This is... ...a dream...
Spike: Yeah... Just a bad dream...

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Marzy - It is not a problem to anybody here but you, just like windmills aren't a problem to anyone but Don Quixote.
Kakirot83
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Dugu Qiusheng

Postby SuperDianWei » 22 Aug 2013, 08:03

Sun Tang wrote:TE - Gronk and Jason Witten (I hope Gronkowski gets better soon!)

I sincerely hope that either A.) Your league lets you start two TEs, or B.) Your league's owners are active in trading...because otherwise, if you get stuck owning the 2nd and 3rd best TEs while only being able to start one, you might be sunk. Yeah, I understand you want a competent fill in for Gronk, but you're not winning any fantasy titles in the first 4-8 weeks of the season. To me, you'd have been better off having a better QB and just getting a TE like...say, Brendan Myers to fill in for Gronk? For the price you paid to get 4-8 weeks of Witten (he'll NEVER play for you once Gronk is healthy), you probably could have had somebody like Stafford or RG3 for an entire season.

EDIT - There's also no reason to own that many QBs unless it's a 2QB league. Presuming it isn't, drop either Smith or Weeden and go find an RB with upside. Only having three's not going to cut it.

DOUBLE EDIT - "Four to Eight Weeks of Witten" will be the name of my next Indy band.
Moved on to greener pastures.

V5: Ju Si Gai (193)
75*.57*.74*.111*.107*
Acumen, Administration, Arson, Articulate, Artisan, Navy, Networking, Propaganda, Rally, Reversal, Rumor(e), Trap(e), Zeal
The Master of Writing (+75%), The General of the Rising Falcons (+20 Unit Limit, +25 TP), and The Governor of Jiang Xia

<SLM> don't make bets with people like SDW...he knows too much about everything.
SuperDianWei
Middle Aged Officer

Location: "Ladies, I'm just telling you what you need to hear!"
Kingdom: Oprah's Guest House

Postby Patricoo » 22 Aug 2013, 15:34

Last year was the year of the TE and QB with so many fun options around. If you didn't get the first couple of RB's you probably held out. I typically don't run with RB's in the first round pick because I find them too random to really feel secure but this year is going to be different. If you're picking in the first 6 picks you might as well go RB. In our league, 14 team, nabbing Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers isn't unheard of if you're in the back half. You might feel slighted to have missed out and feel more comfortable running with a No 1 QB then you would a No 8 RB. That said, I used to get by from nabbing only one good RB in the first 4 rounds and then running with 3 gambles to see who made a good burst. This year I don't think that's wise and it may be the first year that I run with an RB as my flex.

RB's are going at such high of a draft price in mock drafts that it may just be worth cruising until the latter top 10 QBs to pull out a good one and stacking the deck in other areas.
Tsui Rui (161)
Stats:47-39-58-76-86
Skills:Charming, Handsome, Just downright friendly (e)

Sun_Jian: legend ur so arrogant
LEGEND: BWHAHAHAHA
LEGEND: am I really? lol
Patricoo: Yes
LEGEND: then so be it! lol
Patricoo
Mean Deviant
Mean Deviant

Location: "One who doesn't throw the dice can never expect a six."
Kingdom: Zheng Dynasty

Postby Mat » 22 Aug 2013, 18:47

I feel like the QB depth is so good this year I just can't see myself picking one in the early rounds. While I concede having Drew Brees or A-Rod will give you an advantage over most other qbs, I don't feel the point differential is substantial enough to pass on a great WR or RB.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but team loyalty also plays a part in my decision-making. It's just more fun to be able to root for your team on Sunday knowing they're also helping you win your fantasy league.
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Kakirot83 » 23 Aug 2013, 00:32

Mat wrote:I feel like the QB depth is so good this year I just can't see myself picking one in the early rounds. While I concede having Drew Brees or A-Rod will give you an advantage over most other qbs, I don't feel the point differential is substantial enough to pass on a great WR or RB.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but team loyalty also plays a part in my decision-making. It's just more fun to be able to root for your team on Sunday knowing they're also helping you win your fantasy league.

And if they lay an egg? now you lost twice. :P
V6 Pre-game:
Jing Yi 81-81-61-40-60
Aid; Ambush; Arson; Loyalty (e); Raid; Stealth; Valor

Julia: This is... ...a dream...
Spike: Yeah... Just a bad dream...

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Marzy - It is not a problem to anybody here but you, just like windmills aren't a problem to anyone but Don Quixote.
Kakirot83
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Dugu Qiusheng

Postby Sun Tang » 23 Aug 2013, 00:47

SuperDianWei wrote:
Sun Tang wrote:TE - Gronk and Jason Witten (I hope Gronkowski gets better soon!)

I sincerely hope that either A.) Your league lets you start two TEs, or B.) Your league's owners are active in trading...because otherwise, if you get stuck owning the 2nd and 3rd best TEs while only being able to start one, you might be sunk. Yeah, I understand you want a competent fill in for Gronk, but you're not winning any fantasy titles in the first 4-8 weeks of the season. To me, you'd have been better off having a better QB and just getting a TE like...say, Brendan Myers to fill in for Gronk? For the price you paid to get 4-8 weeks of Witten (he'll NEVER play for you once Gronk is healthy), you probably could have had somebody like Stafford or RG3 for an entire season.

EDIT - There's also no reason to own that many QBs unless it's a 2QB league. Presuming it isn't, drop either Smith or Weeden and go find an RB with upside. Only having three's not going to cut it.

DOUBLE EDIT - "Four to Eight Weeks of Witten" will be the name of my next Indy band.

12 teams and 28 rounds was the draft.
1 QB 3 WR, 2RB, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE (flex spot). Once Gronk is healthy witten will be my flex but for now i have greg Jennings in my flex spot and Witten as my TE.

Kakirot83 wrote:
Mat wrote:Just a heads-up you'll probably get a lot more activity in this thread after the simrtk draft. The players there probably don't want to divulge their draft strategies regarding sleepers and whatnot.

Meh, I don't mind giving my opinions, after all, nothing says their right, or that people believe them. :P

Schedule, while nice to think about, more often then not, means beans. Honestly, every year, some teams over-perform, and some teams under-perform. What should've been the toughest defense starts letting people get 100+ yards rushing, and defenses that should suck, toughen up. It's hard to rely on schedule, because things aren't static one year to the next.

Sure, we can probably be safe in assuming, say, Oakland will suck this year, but what about teams in a little more transition?

Take the Browns for example. I'm not saying, they'll be amazing, but I expect more out of them this year, then last. A lot of their offense, is second year, instead of being first year. Trent Richardson? Have you looked at how many catches he had as a rookie? 51 I believe. If it's PPR, that's good, because he's going to get better.

1. Second year.

2. NORV TURNER. Norv is a guy, who always manages to blow as a head coach, but do amazingly as an OC. Oddly, him being awesome as an OC, is why he's gotten chances as a head coach. He likes deep passes, and power running. Previous running backs under Norv: Emmit Smith, Ricky Williams (when he was in Miami, before he left to smoke a bunch of pot, get broke, and then try getting back into the game), and LT. Sure, he's not ALL of why they did good, but he was around for them. :wink: The better the offense, the easier for Defenses to do good, and vice-versa. To me, the Browns could improve, and are one of the reasons, Schedules mean little to me.

A lot of the players you named, seem like you're looking for 'steals' and value, not the hardcore workhorses of a team. Depending on how many teams you have in a fantasy league, how you score things, and if you have limits/minimums on drafting each position, those could work, but I'd want to be a little more 'safe', with what I'm reviewing.

I don't care who you are, if you're in a PPR league, and Adrian Peterson is gone, don't sweat taking a RB first round. And I mean, anywhere in the first round. If you're in a PPR league, Calvin Johnson is a beast, and honestly, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, and even Julio Jones, are not going to be far behind.

Calvin Johnson: Nuff said. He's CALVIN JOHNSON.

AJ Green: Oddly, I'm not sure most people know this, but skill set wise, AJ is the closest in mold, to Calvin. Their essentially the same heights, same skill set, and same play style, the only big difference, is Calvin has like, 15% better hands right now, and about 25-30 pounds more muscle. Yes, the big difference between them is only weight, and I acknowledge, that it is muscle, because Calvin is a beast. 8-)

Brandon Marshall: Did you know, that Jay Cutler sucked hard last year? did you also know, Brandon didn't seem to care, and was literally like 50%+ of Jay cutler's stats? How did Jay get worse, and Brandon get THAT much from him? Called SKILLS. :wink:

Julio Jones: Just like AJ Green, he's young, going into his third year (magic year for wide receivers), and he's what matters on that team. Roddy White is a good, but I think we all know JJ is the future there, and Roddy is just becoming the best number 2 guy. :wink:

I like any of those 4 guys, over people like Doug Martin, Arian Foster, and Marshawn Lynch. And if you aren't one of those 3 guys or AP, you don't matter. Period.

DON'T draft QB's in the first round, it's just a waste. 32 teams have a QB play each week, and 16 of them win games, so AREN'T CRAP. Of those 16, 1-5 pass for crazy yards and/or crazy TD's, and the other 9, are really not far behind. YES, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees will do the best, but really, there's only like, a couple of hundred yards, and 2-8 TD's difference between them, and people you can take 2 rounds after them. Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, RG III, Russell Wilson, and even people like Eli Manning, can run your football team, and you might take Eli 6 rounds after Drew Brees. Why pay so high.

TE this year, is hard. It's always a weird position, but lot of rookies there, a lot of injuries happening, and people like Aaron Hernandez is bye-bye, so really, there's like 3. The only 4 I'd touch, early (early being 3rd, 4th, or 5th round) are: Jimmy Graham, Jason Witten, Vernon Davis, and Tony Gonzalez. Now, Davis is weird, because for the past 3 years, he's been getting worse, and Kaep didn't help him, his style of play hurt him, so he's only a maybe to me. Graham is a no brainer, as the last real 'elite' TE left on the board, not injured, and not in trouble with the law (making a career over). Witten is still good, but he doesn't get TD's anymore, Dallas drafted a TE, but to save him, how the hell did he get 110 catches last year?!! That's just INSANE for a TE. Look at it, IT REALLY IS. Tony Gonzo makes the list, because somehow, he defies all reason, and is good at 37. after that, again, you might as well wait a while on other TE's, because at that point, you're just HOPING they do good, you don't know it.

The problem WITH those though, is, will you have to reach for them? Taking jimmy Graham is awesome, but don't be stupid about it. You don't want to take him first round, or second round, and maybe not even third, after all, you want to be getting the foundation of a team: WR's and RB's. TE's are nice, but if someone else wants to reach early 3rd/late 2nd just to 'make sure' they get Jimmy, go ahead, screw yourself at RB or WR, and take a TE.

People I'm eyeing: Trent Richardson, Reggie Bush, ALL rookie RB's, Stevie Johnson, David Wilson, Vincent Jackson, and a few others. I left out the obvious ones (I don't need to watch Calvin or Adrian, or most of those are top tier, cuz, they're top tier. You know they're good, because they're good.), so those are more of what I'm pondering over, thinking if they fall, or are the right price, they could make good seconds or late firsts at their positions for me. I plan on taking WR's early, and watching people scramble that stick to the idea, that RB's build their team, and laugh that RB's a little thicker at the position them most other positions (except QB's).

I play mainly PPR, so take it with a grain of salt, if you don't. :wink:

Thanks for the input Kakirot. :) I think the browns will exceed expectations perhaps even flirt with 10 wins this year and possible playoffs, that is borderline fantasy but i think it is in the realm of possibility. I should probably drop a QB but i want to wait until week 2 to see what happens in the season opener. BOth my QB's have the same Bye week in Weeden and Smith LOL. Yay im noob. Oh yea, i had the first pick overall LOL. I chose richardson :p Die hard browns fan.
Sun Tang
Stalking Xiahou Mao

Postby SuperDianWei » 23 Aug 2013, 06:51

Well, being able to start 2 TEs makes owning Witten acceptable. I still maintain though that there's not a good enough reason to own 3 QBs. Realistically, that's just a formula for messing up your weekly QB selection more often than not. Matchup plays may sound great, but Josh Freeman's worst game last year came against the PUTRID Saints defense. Plus trying to project over a month in advance which defenses will be good and which won't is really, really hard to do accurately. Lots of injuries, lots of coaching adjustments, lots of X factors you can't predict. You just never know.

As to Weeden being a "sleeper", let's really break down what that even means. Most people probably think of him as a bottom 6 QB, and thus they never pick him up. Saying he's going to be better than that may be accurate, but exactly how much better are we talking? There's no way we're looking at a top 12 QB (Absolutely no way he's better than Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Newton, P. Manning, RG3, Stafford, Kaepernick, Luck, Ryan, Romo), so he shouldn't be a starter in your league by virtue of that. So IF YOU'RE RIGHT about him, that puts him somewhere in the next tier of "Backup who should only ever play for you during bye weeks and terrible injuries" (ie. Wilson, Eli, Schaub, Big Ben, Cutler, Freeman, Dalton, Flacco, Bradford). Let's for fun say Weeden shocks the world and lands somewhere in the middle of that group...that mean's his sleeper CEILING is something like the 15th best QB in fantasy...which means he still shouldn't be starting for anybody in a 12 team league.

If I was running your team, I would first conclude that Freeman is probably your best QB, and I'd try and start him every week because he's more talented and has better receivers (not to mention his division is full of soft defenses, which is an added bonus). Your backup choices are Smith and Weeden, and it's unclear who's going to be better this year...so with that in mind, I look at Freeman's bye (Week 5), and just figure out what sounds better that week: Smith Vs. Tennessee, or Weeden Vs. Buffalo. Buffalo was 10th overall against the pass last year, and Tennessee was 26th...so Smith is the man I hold on to, and Weeden is who I drop. Or if I just had a gut feeling about Weeden (I don't), then I'd just override that and dump Smith. No big deal.

75*.57*.74*.111*.107*
Acumen, Administration, Arson, Articulate, Artisan, Navy, Networking, Propaganda, Rally, Reversal, Rumor(e), Trap(e), Zeal
The Master of Writing (+75%), The General of the Rising Falcons (+20 Unit Limit, +25 TP), and The Governor of Jiang Xia

<SLM> don't make bets with people like SDW...he knows too much about everything.
SuperDianWei
Middle Aged Officer

Postby Patricoo » 23 Aug 2013, 15:53

Mat wrote:I'm not sure about the rest of you, but team loyalty also plays a part in my decision-making. It's just more fun to be able to root for your team on Sunday knowing they're also helping you win your fantasy league.

As an Eagles fan, I do not know this feeling. :P

Sun Tang wrote:Thanks for the input Kakirot. :) I think the browns will exceed expectations perhaps even flirt with 10 wins this year and possible playoffs, that is borderline fantasy but i think it is in the realm of possibility. I should probably drop a QB but i want to wait until week 2 to see what happens in the season opener. BOth my QB's have the same Bye week in Weeden and Smith LOL. Yay im noob. Oh yea, i had the first pick overall LOL. I chose richardson :p Die hard browns fan.

I would be resoundingly unhappy with your choice of third-rate QBs. It sounds like week to week you're going to be fighting with the notion of getting 12 points or getting 15 points. You're better off looking to trade or pick off someone else's backup QB from someone who may have pulled too high for a 2nd pick. For instance, look at Flacco (consistently average) Vick (new coach) or heck even Andy Dalton could look to go ahead with a stronger schedule. (Ravens D and Steelers not what they were last year and that just leaves the Browns in their division.) You're deciding between such a small ceiling at QB that I would sooner drop Smith & Weeden to pickup EJ Manuel. The two rookies will go off waivers soon when one might break loose but I'm sure Smith and Weeden won't even get snagged after you drop them.

Whatever you do, do it soon or else you'll be sitting there huffing when someone like Wilson runs for more than one of your RBs and you're sitting there wondering why you didn't snag him in round 6-8 when he was there.
Tsui Rui (161)

Patricoo
Mean Deviant
Mean Deviant

Postby Sun Tang » 23 Aug 2013, 20:12

SuperDianWei wrote:Well, being able to start 2 TEs makes owning Witten acceptable. I still maintain though that there's not a good enough reason to own 3 QBs. Realistically, that's just a formula for messing up your weekly QB selection more often than not. Matchup plays may sound great, but Josh Freeman's worst game last year came against the PUTRID Saints defense. Plus trying to project over a month in advance which defenses will be good and which won't is really, really hard to do accurately. Lots of injuries, lots of coaching adjustments, lots of X factors you can't predict. You just never know.

As to Weeden being a "sleeper", let's really break down what that even means. Most people probably think of him as a bottom 6 QB, and thus they never pick him up. Saying he's going to be better than that may be accurate, but exactly how much better are we talking? There's no way we're looking at a top 12 QB (Absolutely no way he's better than Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Newton, P. Manning, RG3, Stafford, Kaepernick, Luck, Ryan, Romo), so he shouldn't be a starter in your league by virtue of that. So IF YOU'RE RIGHT about him, that puts him somewhere in the next tier of "Backup who should only ever play for you during bye weeks and terrible injuries" (ie. Wilson, Eli, Schaub, Big Ben, Cutler, Freeman, Dalton, Flacco, Bradford). Let's for fun say Weeden shocks the world and lands somewhere in the middle of that group...that mean's his sleeper CEILING is something like the 15th best QB in fantasy...which means he still shouldn't be starting for anybody in a 12 team league.

If I was running your team, I would first conclude that Freeman is probably your best QB, and I'd try and start him every week because he's more talented and has better receivers (not to mention his division is full of soft defenses, which is an added bonus). Your backup choices are Smith and Weeden, and it's unclear who's going to be better this year...so with that in mind, I look at Freeman's bye (Week 5), and just figure out what sounds better that week: Smith Vs. Tennessee, or Weeden Vs. Buffalo. Buffalo was 10th overall against the pass last year, and Tennessee was 26th...so Smith is the man I hold on to, and Weeden is who I drop. Or if I just had a gut feeling about Weeden (I don't), then I'd just override that and dump Smith. No big deal.

You are right, as well as patricoo. I can't really justify having three QB's, especially sub-par ones at that. I am gonna root for weeden, but i have to drop him. :) You have convinced me of this. Thanks for the advice, my brother also mentioned to pick up Ej Manual and drop a QB.
Sun Tang
Stalking Xiahou Mao

Postby SuperDianWei » 23 Aug 2013, 21:37

Sun Tang wrote:You are right, as well as patricoo. I can't really justify having three QB's, especially sub-par ones at that. I am gonna root for weeden, but i have to drop him. :) You have convinced me of this. Thanks for the advice, my brother also mentioned to pick up Ej Manual and drop a QB.

If you drop Weeden to pick up EJ Manual, you're missing the point. I don't care that you own Weeden or Manual, I care that you own 3 QBs. Dedicating three roster spots to fulfilling only one starting position in your roster isn't a long term path to success...it's something you should only do in non-ideal circumstances such as injuries (for instance, if your QB1 is hurt and your QB2 has an impending bye, you have my full blessing to take on a third QB then, but only temporarily until you're out of the woods).

By contrast, RBs and WRs can occupy FIVE starting slots between them, thus their ratio on your bench should be MUCH higher. When I do my drafting, I try to have 5 of each...if not more...just because A.) they represent a huge portion of your starting lineup, and B.) They have a rich history of coming out of nowhere if you invest in no-names. Need an example? I'll give you two. Arian Foster was undrafted in standard ADP leagues the season before he took off (everybody was investing in Steve Slaton and Ben Tate at the time, remember?). Nobody had even heard of Alfred Morris in 2011 because everybody was too busy drafting Roy Helu, Tim Hightower and Ryan Torain.

My point is, you're probably hesitant to drop a QB for an RB because it doesn't seem like any good RBs are left out there. But I'm here to tell you there's a 1000+ yard rusher that nobody in your league's drafted...it's up to you to strike gold and figure out who it is. Maybe you want to bet against AP's health and pick up Gerhart? Maybe you want to bet that MJD is cooked and pick up Justin Forsett? I don't know what the answer is. That's up to you.

75*.57*.74*.111*.107*

SuperDianWei
Middle Aged Officer

Postby Sun Tang » 23 Aug 2013, 22:32

SuperDianWei wrote:
Sun Tang wrote:You are right, as well as patricoo. I can't really justify having three QB's, especially sub-par ones at that. I am gonna root for weeden, but i have to drop him. :) You have convinced me of this. Thanks for the advice, my brother also mentioned to pick up Ej Manual and drop a QB.

If you drop Weeden to pick up EJ Manual, you're missing the point. I don't care that you own Weeden or Manual, I care that you own 3 QBs. Dedicating three roster spots to fulfilling only one starting position in your roster isn't a long term path to success...it's something you should only do in non-ideal circumstances such as injuries (for instance, if your QB1 is hurt and your QB2 has an impending bye, you have my full blessing to take on a third QB then, but only temporarily until you're out of the woods).

By contrast, RBs and WRs can occupy FIVE starting slots between them, thus their ratio on your bench should be MUCH higher. When I do my drafting, I try to have 5 of each...if not more...just because A.) they represent a huge portion of your starting lineup, and B.) They have a rich history of coming out of nowhere if you invest in no-names. Need an example? I'll give you two. Arian Foster was undrafted in standard ADP leagues the season before he took off (everybody was investing in Steve Slaton and Ben Tate at the time, remember?). Nobody had even heard of Alfred Morris in 2011 because everybody was too busy drafting Roy Helu, Tim Hightower and Ryan Torain.

My point is, you're probably hesitant to drop a QB for an RB because it doesn't seem like any good RBs are left out there. But I'm here to tell you there's a 1000+ yard rusher that nobody in your league's drafted...it's up to you to strike gold and figure out who it is. Maybe you want to bet against AP's health and pick up Gerhart? Maybe you want to bet that MJD is cooked and pick up Justin Forsett? I don't know what the answer is. That's up to you.

Here is who i am thinking of right now minus any QB choices of course! :p

WR: Jacoby Jones (he is just really lame in stats to me for a starter), Andrew Roberts, (not a starter but looks like he will pick up points) Nate Burleston (his career stats are odd. They fluctuate. Few years good, few years unproductive.) Dexter Mcluster (not a starter, but with a decent and accurate QB Alex Smith, a short pass offense, i think he can do pretty well, nicety is he also is KR/PR, this is very risky though to me).

RB: Joique Bell (looks like the choice for backup and gets a lot of points for not starting, including receptions. I think he is better than leshoure and Bush might get hurt.), Bilal Powell (guy is not bad at all and Chris Ivory is injury Prone).

Still looking at other people...but right now those are available. I am also eying other teams for potential trades. There is a person in my league desperate for receivers..and maybe i can switch for a RB.
Sun Tang
Stalking Xiahou Mao

Postby Patricoo » 26 Aug 2013, 03:27

Not Jacoby Jones. Or Nate Burleson. Nate is getting up there anyways. He will soon fall off all radars for fantasy if not this year already. I like Dexter Mcluster a lot but the chiefs have him setup as sort of a special teams/different play kind of person. Like the weird shaped blade in the swiss army knife that you never use but its there just in case. Not worth a lot in fantasy. Joique Bell is a great choise. Bilal Powell has the chance to be a bust. If Ivory goes out for a long period of time the Jets will probably sign someone to help share the load.
Tsui Rui (161)

Patricoo
Mean Deviant
Mean Deviant

Postby Mat » 26 Aug 2013, 18:19

Yeah, I gotta agree about Nate. I think he's a great locker room presence and runs reliable routes, but he's not someone worth slotting in Fantasy anymore.

What do you guys think of Jimmy Graham? I could see taking him maybe in the 4th or 5th, but some people think he's worth taking in the 2nd (or even 1st). I think he's going to have a huge year and will be the most reliable TE, but I'd rather not lose out on a WR or RB in the early rounds.
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Next

Return to Kingdom Tavern