Role Playing and Gender - Poll

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Do you think it is alright to play a character of the opposite gender?

Yes
90%
Undecided
6%
No
4%

Total votes : 71

Re: Role Playing and Gender - Poll

Postby Vagabond » 07 Dec 2012, 17:01

This is something I've thought about a lot and as a writer I believe its a good exercise. Stories tend to have characters of both sexes and writing from the perspective of the opposite sex can be a tough thing to do. Its easy to fall in the trap of writing a character thoughts as you perceive their gender would rather than the character. Even some of my favorite authors do this is and it can be off-putting. Generally, I only play a female character if it fits the narrative in my head better.

I think you can play a character and ignore their sexuality completely, but if you ignore the fact that they're male or female it partially defeats the purpose. Your gender makes up a part of who you are and your views on the world and shouldn't be ignored.. That said I will be playing a female spy in V6. Because all women are evil! I kid, I kid. I know some of you out there are very inflammable.
V6: Jia An (嘉暗), possibly maybe?
Vagabond
Experienced Officer

Postby Duzterz » 07 Dec 2012, 19:06

A female spy? Thanks for the info, to bad I can't use this IC to make sure you are not spying on whatever kingdom I decided to join. :x

I think you should be able to play whatever you want to play as long as you have fun doing it. I recall playing several different genders throughout my sim playing career.
Duzterz
Officer

Kingdom: Freelancer

Postby Zhao Xiao » 26 Apr 2013, 15:47

As Vagabond said above, as a writer I like to be able to write in the shoes of a female character as an exercise; and as a challenge. But to be honest, being male, I can never and will probably never grasp how to role-play as a female character as well as an actual female player would. When I'm using my PCs, its sad to admit, but I do lapse into RL personality sometimes and I would probably ruin the whole experience for anyone.

So personally I stay clear of roleplaying as opposite gender. But only because I would suck at it. I generally don't see it as a problem so long as no weird RL stuff is involved. People PMing each other, getting wrong idea, awkward comments, player-bashing and flaming etc etc. To be honest we're all mature people here, right? I mean, we joke and stuff and act like children occasionally but we're all fairly intelligent people and we surely wouldn't even care that much anyway if a dude's playing as a woman and vice versa?
Empty
Zhao Xiao
Officer With Many Posts

Kingdom: Seeking XBL buddies

Postby Mordred » 06 Jun 2013, 00:51

(OOC: Thread necro, but it's an interesting topic and I have an insight to share that hasn't yet been posted. Plz forgive me.)

I think the taboo stems from the common story of the creepy male at the table playing a female character to indulge his sexual impulses by proxy, so that he can get off on the hypersexualized female caricature he's created for himself to puppeteer.

Is this trope of the "RPG creeper" justified? Less so now than it was before, certainly. Has it died out? No, not one bit, if my experiences lurking /tg/ bear any resemblance to the reality experienced across many tabletops throughout RPGdom.

In the context of a forum-based game, posters are androgynized by the nature of the software anyway, so I think it's much easier and more acceptable to crossplay without giving off weird vibes. Of course, I still consider it creepy for anyone to place undue emphasis on the sexuality of their character in a context where "adult" situations and content aren't appropriate, no matter the character's gender, the player's gender, or any overlap (or lack thereof) between the two. :)
Mordred
Ranking Officer

Postby Zhao Xiao » 07 Jun 2013, 11:12

That's got me thinking.

Roleplaying generally is about becoming someone you are not. And at its heart you Role-play as a character/personality that you are not whether its physically, mentally or indeed sexually. And whether or not the RPs fit the forum or the context, I think some people would 'sexualise' or at least turn up the adult settings on their posts. Maybe because they want to role-play as someone who is overly-sexual, confident and physically impressive because perhaps they aren't like that at all in RL? I mean this example is at its crudest and probably the most severe kind you can find but essentially this is true to some degree.

Perhaps its some kind of catharsis for players?
Empty
Zhao Xiao
Officer With Many Posts

Kingdom: Seeking XBL buddies

Postby Mordred » 10 Jun 2013, 03:29

What's catharsis for one is inappropriate and creepy for another. A roleplaying game is, among other things, an exercise in collaborative storytelling; if one participant is making others feel uncomfortable through their contributions, they are preventing others from engaging with the story as fully as they could be otherwise and damaging the overall experience. Participating in an RP requires one to consider the needs, intentions, and goals of others, whereas a purely selfish player will not be able to contribute effectively. If they've just got to get their feelings out in the world, they should write a novel if they can't respect the other participants as equal collaborators.

For example: imagine if you've just joined a party and you all are doing a little RP at Ye Olde Stereotypical Quest Launch Inn, but suddenly someone jumps in with their character Titty LaRoo and that player describes in exquisite detail how the character spends the entire time in the inn fondlng herself and sexing up random bar patrons. It's great if Titty's player is catharsizing himself, but he's kind of shut down the story for everyone else. On a forum it's easy enough to just ignore the creeper, but imagine doing that in a face-to-face setting.

You see the problem. No matter who the problem player is, whether a Cheeto-stained neckbeard or a smokin' hot [insert whatever sex you find attractive], sticking overtly sexual content in a situation where everyone at the table isn't aware it would be a story element from the beginning is going to shut some players down. It's just plain disrespectful to do that to your tablemates.
Mordred
Ranking Officer

Postby Xiahou Mao » 10 Jun 2013, 20:06

See, now you have me thinking about Lusty McBoobs from HoI. No, not her real name, but the character was basically attempting to do just what Mordred describes. I guess if anything, the fact that she was actually played by a female would be a mitigating factor.

I can't think of a lot of instances on SimRTK where characters were openly portrayed in a sexual manner, but maybe I'm just not looking hard closely enough.
Xiahou Mao - True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Xiahou Mao
Don't Cross The Boss
Don't Cross The Boss

Postby Smith » 13 Jun 2013, 18:22

Xiahou Mao wrote:portrayed in a sexual manner

Those shamefully based on Lady Death.

*cries*
Zhuang Lun
66-55-64-68-58
Administration, Logistics, Loyalty, Military Engineer, Scribe,
Smith
Stalking Xiahou Mao

Postby Big Grizzy » 13 Jun 2013, 18:58

As a few people have said, I find roleplaying a female to be a good way to stretch RPing muscles, but very difficult to do well and consistently. I do however have the same problem RPing anything too different from my owner personality (Psychopaths, Schemers, Zealots, etc.)
Bu Qin (22) - Tanner from Luoyang
*Stats: 80-80-60-38-54
*Skills: Breeder, Investigator (e), Leader, Valor, Vehemence, Weaponmaster

Han Ji (67) - Taoist Mystic from Cheng Du
*Stats: 40-36-92-56-77
*Skills: Fortunate, Medic, Mystic (e), Propaganda

*Stats and skills are approximate pending posting of character creation rules. Only one character will have stats when gameplay starts.
Big Grizzy
Experienced Officer

Kingdom: Not Applicable

Postby Xu Yuan » 17 Jun 2013, 04:46

It seemed to be in the two major characters I've played on this site, Xu Yuan and Mi Zun, both had fairly prominent females by their side. On Xu Yuan's side there was the fiery (possibly psychotic) nurse Lin Zhang who factored into much of Xu Yuan's later story. Though I think my crowning achievement with successfully playing a woman was with my portrayal of Mi Jia, who was Mi Zun's foreign born charge, that he had raised all the way from Rome back to China who was never away from Mi Zun for longer than a couple of posts and only had one or two independent RP's from her father (because she was a child after all)

it was also my first attempt to play a younger character that, I feel at least, made mature throughout the years (she started the game at 11 and ended at 14) so while at first she was fairly quiet, she was always noted as being present and when Mi Zun actually took a role on the world stage she became his constant diplomat to Mi Zun's own poor temperament and became a scholarly-type character unto herself. So while I can't say I'm completely comfortable playing a female in their own right (granted Mi Jia was always planned to be Mi Zun's successor should he have ever died), I have found that I can make them great co-stars to a show that is not necessarily about them.
Pre-Game

Cai Bin 蔡臏
5-10-65*-100*-86* (68)
Articulate. Negotiator(e), Propaganda, Networking, Rumor, Wealth, Riot
Gold: 4
Items: Black Onyx Elephant Pendant (+1 Int, +1 Pol, +1 Cha), Book of Rites (+2 Pol), Classic of Filial Piety (+2 Pol)
(V5) Mi Zun
Xu Yuan
Cao Cao’s Duck Hat

Kingdom: Han

Postby SCZhuge13 » 17 Jun 2013, 11:34

Xu Yuan wrote:It seemed to be in the two major characters I've played on this site, Xu Yuan and Mi Zun, both had fairly prominent females by their side. On Xu Yuan's side there was the fiery (possibly psychotic) nurse Lin Zhang who factored into much of Xu Yuan's later story. Though I think my crowning achievement with successfully playing a woman was with my portrayal of Mi Jia, who was Mi Zun's foreign born charge, that he had raised all the way from Rome back to China who was never away from Mi Zun for longer than a couple of posts and only had one or two independent RP's from her father (because she was a child after all)

it was also my first attempt to play a younger character that, I feel at least, made mature throughout the years (she started the game at 11 and ended at 14) so while at first she was fairly quiet, she was always noted as being present and when Mi Zun actually took a role on the world stage she became his constant diplomat to Mi Zun's own poor temperament and became a scholarly-type character unto herself. So while I can't say I'm completely comfortable playing a female in their own right (granted Mi Jia was always planned to be Mi Zun's successor should he have ever died), I have found that I can make them great co-stars to a show that is not necessarily about them.

I just want to say that roleplaying with Mi Zun and Mi Jia were easily among my favorite moments in SimRTK V5. You did a really good job with them, Xu Yuan! You portrayed their father/daughter relationship quite nicely and it felt authentic, as did Mi Jia's reactions to everything.
V6: Jin Zhi, the warrior with big biceps and an even bigger heart
50-85-70-65-50
Aid, Duelist, Fortunate, Reversal, Valor, Weaponmaster (e)

V5: Emperor Chen Wei of Tian Shui
SCZhuge13
"fish flopping"

Kingdom: My shield is here!

Postby Bya Kou » 02 Jan 2015, 17:29

Necro? I dunno - it wasn't *that* far down the page. :P

My two most fond RPing experiences were playing as a Roman infant raised in China who could only speak in broken English (RP Chinese :P ) to think he was immortal by his creepy Roman adoptive father,

And a trio of young women who gossiped relentlessly about everything they did. Admittedly, looking back on them now, they all seemed to have personalities resemblant of the powerpuff girls, but I SWEAR that it was coincidental and that their backstories were all lots of fun. :tiger:

I think a female character is much more enjoyable from my perspective as a male RPer simply because is exposes me to a personality type very little like my own. Also some female avatars look really awesome, and that gets my creative juices flowing. :P
Bya Kou
Officer

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby TheRedArmy » 12 Jan 2015, 04:36

I play females virtually all the time in virtually everything where it's a choice. Mass Effect, RPGs where the lead character is created, tabletop RPGs. Even in wargames, specifically Warhammer 40K, my favorite army is the Sisters of Battle, and my favorite character is Lady Malys, who's not that useful but is cool beyond all reason. She has the coolest back story in the whole universe.

My preference shows most in tabletop RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, GURPS, and Shadowrun. My last several characters have all been females, which my friends take the chance to poke fun at me once in a while for. Let's see who I remember...

We have Aliza Cornet (named after a French tennis player), a no-nonsense, determined wizard in D&D 3.5.

There's Lorelai Leilani , a brave, gentle Paladin who's a bit stuffy and prefers capturing enemies to killing them (not easy in D&D).

Alicia Wolcott is a foul-mouthed, overconfident English B&E expert in Shadowrun. She's insulting, a bit reckless, and promiscuous. She's a ton of fun to play!

And most recently, there's Anai Nailah , a priestess of the Egyptian goddess Isis in our GURPS game. Anai is completely devout, charitable, affectionate, and a bit of a martyr. She's also a blast to play, for completely different reasons.

My only recent male character was in the Exalted system, an (effectively Chinese) fellow named Ledaal. He's ambitious, loyal, stoic, and ruthless. I somewhat modeled him after Cao Cao.

So yeah. I have no issue with playing the opposite gender, and I'm happy to say no one I've met has an issue with it either.
Plans for V6 - Governor or General type. Still undecided.
V4 - Bei Shankuo, General who Manifests Virtue

Willing to Skype IC conversations. PM me if interested.
TheRedArmy
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: Unemployed

Postby Cham Pi Non » 18 Feb 2015, 22:47

This is all I have to say about the matter

Cham Pi Non
Ranking Officer

Postby TheRedArmy » 19 Feb 2015, 06:14

Is that picture from Army of Darkness? That looks like Bruce Campbell firing the gun. Style looks right, too.
Plans for V6 - Governor or General type. Still undecided.
V4 - Bei Shankuo, General who Manifests Virtue

Willing to Skype IC conversations. PM me if interested.
TheRedArmy
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: Unemployed

PreviousNext

Return to Kingdom Tavern