SimRTK Fantasy Football 2011

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

Re: SimRTK Fantasy Football 2011

Postby Kakirot83 » 27 Aug 2013, 17:32

Mat wrote:
SCZhuge13 wrote:Just to make sure I didn't miss it: When are we having our draft? What's the league going to be like? Etc.

If I'm being blind (or haven't responded to something I should have) feel free to smack me a good one and point me over to where I should be. Thanks!

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffi ... eId=531173

Draft is Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM ET according to the league site.

It's a PPR league.

Well then I'm boned. My draft IRL for a draft, is sept. 1, at 8:00 PM EST. I very much doubt we'll be done drafting in 2 hours. or will we? :roll:
V6 Pre-game:
Jing Yi 81-81-61-40-60
Aid; Ambush; Arson; Loyalty (e); Raid; Stealth; Valor

Julia: This is... ...a dream...
Spike: Yeah... Just a bad dream...

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Marzy - It is not a problem to anybody here but you, just like windmills aren't a problem to anyone but Don Quixote.
Kakirot83
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Dugu Qiusheng

Postby Mat » 27 Aug 2013, 17:35

Well, I think most drafts take between 90-120 minutes, so it might be close. But the early draft picks are arguably the most crucial ones, anyways. Even if you need to leave a bit early and auto-draft the remaining 5-6 rounds, it won't be *too* bad.
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Kakirot83 » 27 Aug 2013, 18:37

Mat wrote:Well, I think most drafts take between 90-120 minutes, so it might be close. But the early draft picks are arguably the most crucial ones, anyways. Even if you need to leave a bit early and auto-draft the remaining 5-6 rounds, it won't be *too* bad.

Now i gotta set up a list though, lest I let the site start drafting random crap. :lol:
V6 Pre-game:
Jing Yi 81-81-61-40-60
Aid; Ambush; Arson; Loyalty (e); Raid; Stealth; Valor

Julia: This is... ...a dream...
Spike: Yeah... Just a bad dream...

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Marzy - It is not a problem to anybody here but you, just like windmills aren't a problem to anyone but Don Quixote.
Kakirot83
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Dugu Qiusheng

Postby ShamsTron » 27 Aug 2013, 21:29

If it does go long it would be the last few rounds that you would miss so unless you are very particular on which kicker and defence you want you should be fine. Also I think you can draft from your iOS device (I assume android as well) so if you can split your attention you can do that as well.
Yi Jun (189)
94*-94*-78*-36-41
Skills: Aid; Charge; Inspire; Logistics (e); Loyalty; Navy; Reversal; Valor; Wall
Gold: 210
ShamsTron
Really Old Officer

Kingdom: Waffles

Postby Marzy » 27 Aug 2013, 22:08

Mat wrote:Well, I think most drafts take between 90-120 minutes, so it might be close. But the early draft picks are arguably the most crucial ones, anyways. Even if you need to leave a bit early and auto-draft the remaining 5-6 rounds, it won't be *too* bad.

I disagree. If I miss the first few rounds, I can rely on the auto-picker to at least give me known commodities that I can build around. Anyone can pick in the first five rounds and have a generally ok looking team. If I let the auto-picker take care of the late rounds, I'm not gonna get the sleepers I want, my bench won't be developed, and I'll probably end up with jank like two kickers. The last rounds matter as much as the first ones.
Kunhua | 36 - 40 - 82 - 75 - 78 | Acumen; Alchemist; Medic; Riot; Rumor; Spy; Stealth (e)
Guest spots: Lu Bu, Zhang Song

/|
(゚、 。 7  - NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN
 l、 ~ヽ   
 じしf_,)ノ
Marzy
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Kingdom: Minzhe-land?

Postby Mat » 27 Aug 2013, 22:16

Marzy wrote:
Mat wrote:....the early draft picks are arguably the most crucial ones....

I disagree. If I miss the first few rounds, I can rely on the auto-picker to at least give me known commodities that I can build around. Anyone can pick in the first five rounds and have a generally ok looking team. If I let the auto-picker take care of the late rounds, I'm not gonna get the sleepers I want, my bench won't be developed, and I'll probably end up with jank like two kickers. The last rounds matter as much as the first ones.

You can't disagree. I didn't say they were the most crucial. I said they were arguably the most crucial, which means I don't take a firm stance on that statement. ;)

I'm not a fan of the auto-picker because if it is set to just take the best player available you can end up with duplicate positions early on. While this generally isn't a problem if they're RBs or WRs, I don't want to autodraft Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees back-to-back. Also, while they may be known commodities, some of them are ranked too high for my taste. I won't even touch Arian Foster this year because he seems like he's on a decline. If I just left the auto picker to select, he could be a waste of my 1st round pick.

There's also the chance it drafts me guys like Roethlisberger or Kaepernick - two players I dislike too much to have on my team. :wink:
Liu Shentong (162) 72-92-60-30-60 Duelist, Navy, Raid, Stealth, Valor, Weaponmaster(e)
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby ShamsTron » 27 Aug 2013, 22:27

Marzy wrote:I disagree. If I miss the first few rounds, I can rely on the auto-picker to at least give me known commodities that I can build around. Anyone can pick in the first five rounds and have a generally ok looking team. If I let the auto-picker take care of the late rounds, I'm not gonna get the sleepers I want, my bench won't be developed, and I'll probably end up with jank like two kickers. The last rounds matter as much as the first ones.

While autodrafting will never be better than making your decisions I really like the ESPN autodraft set up. Even though I plan on being there for the full draft I made sure to put the max kickers and defences to one and also set them to be picked in the last two rounds. I also did some other tinkering to ensure if for some reason I lose my connection it won't be a total disaster.
Yi Jun (189)
94*-94*-78*-36-41
Skills: Aid; Charge; Inspire; Logistics (e); Loyalty; Navy; Reversal; Valor; Wall
Gold: 210
ShamsTron
Really Old Officer

Kingdom: Waffles

Postby Mat » 27 Aug 2013, 22:35

I set mine to only draft defenses.

I'm really bad at fantasy football...
OI
Mat
Officer With Many Posts

Postby Marzy » 27 Aug 2013, 22:48

Mat wrote:You can't disagree. I didn't say they were the most crucial. I said they were arguably the most crucial, which means I don't take a firm stance on that statement. ;)

Arguably, clouds are made of pixie dust.

The auto-drafters are typically smart enough to not draft two quarterbacks in the first three rounds. They're generally coded to fill out starting rotations by default before addressing bench positions like a second QB in a standard league. That also means they're generally coded to pick a kicker in the ninth round (pick 80 or 90 something?), which is just bad value.

Shams brings up a good point though, ESPN is smart enough to give you the tools to easily decide where what position is auto-drafted. Such a system prevents catastrophe at least.
Kunhua | 36 - 40 - 82 - 75 - 78 | Acumen; Alchemist; Medic; Riot; Rumor; Spy; Stealth (e)
Guest spots: Lu Bu, Zhang Song

/|
(゚、 。 7  - NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN
 l、 ~ヽ   
 じしf_,)ノ
Marzy
Roleplay Master
Roleplay Master

Kingdom: Minzhe-land?

Postby Patricoo » 28 Aug 2013, 00:46

In the past we have nearly always gone over 2 hours, but just barely. If you can drag out the start to the IRL one (This is real life. We're more important, loser) you'll be fine.
Tsui Rui (161)
Stats:47-39-58-76-86
Skills:Charming, Handsome, Just downright friendly (e)

Sun_Jian: legend ur so arrogant
LEGEND: BWHAHAHAHA
LEGEND: am I really? lol
Patricoo: Yes
LEGEND: then so be it! lol
Patricoo
Mean Deviant
Mean Deviant

Location: "One who doesn't throw the dice can never expect a six."
Kingdom: Zheng Dynasty

Postby SCZhuge13 » 28 Aug 2013, 13:51

Patricoo wrote:(This is real life. We're more important, loser)

V6: Jin Zhi, the warrior with big biceps and an even bigger heart
50-85-70-65-50
Aid, Duelist, Fortunate, Reversal, Valor, Weaponmaster (e)

V5: Emperor Chen Wei of Tian Shui
SCZhuge13
"fish flopping"

Kingdom: My shield is here!

Postby SuperDianWei » 28 Aug 2013, 16:56

What we've done in the past, which has maximized draft turnout, was I would list every date I was available to draft between "now" and the start of the season. Then the next person would see my list, cross off a couple of times, and the next person would cross off a couple. Eventually, 6 people or so would have done it, and we'd have like 4 times that all 6 people could make (and probably several of the rest of the abstainers as well). We'd then pick the earliest date available, and if something happened, we'd have a later date as a backup. This was the best way I knew of to maximize turnout, because more people attending the draft leads to more people staying active.

We're not doing that this year because it's too close to kickoff and it would be too confusing to change the draft time this late. Just saying this could have been handled more effectively.
Moved on to greener pastures.

V5: Ju Si Gai (193)
75*.57*.74*.111*.107*
Acumen, Administration, Arson, Articulate, Artisan, Navy, Networking, Propaganda, Rally, Reversal, Rumor(e), Trap(e), Zeal
The Master of Writing (+75%), The General of the Rising Falcons (+20 Unit Limit, +25 TP), and The Governor of Jiang Xia

<SLM> don't make bets with people like SDW...he knows too much about everything.
SuperDianWei
Middle Aged Officer

Location: "Ladies, I'm just telling you what you need to hear!"
Kingdom: Oprah's Guest House

Postby SuperDianWei » 01 Sep 2013, 15:08

Friendly reminder: Draft is 5 hours away from the time of this post. You may login 4 hours from now to see your draft position.
Moved on to greener pastures.

V5: Ju Si Gai (193)
75*.57*.74*.111*.107*
Acumen, Administration, Arson, Articulate, Artisan, Navy, Networking, Propaganda, Rally, Reversal, Rumor(e), Trap(e), Zeal
The Master of Writing (+75%), The General of the Rising Falcons (+20 Unit Limit, +25 TP), and The Governor of Jiang Xia

<SLM> don't make bets with people like SDW...he knows too much about everything.
SuperDianWei
Middle Aged Officer

Location: "Ladies, I'm just telling you what you need to hear!"
Kingdom: Oprah's Guest House

Postby SCZhuge13 » 01 Sep 2013, 21:39

So it looks like I missed this draft entirely. Wonderful.

I thought it was at 5:00 Pacific, not 3, even after accounting for the time zone difference. I even scheduled myself to miss some Convention stuff so I'd make it.

This sucks hard. Is it possible to drop from the league right now? I have little interest in running with a team I didn't draft, even if I lucked out and it happens to be good.

Thanks!
50-85-70-65-50

SCZhuge13
"fish flopping"

Postby SCZhuge13 » 01 Sep 2013, 21:47

Addendum to the above:

I understand if that is problematic for the league, in which case I'll just deal with it and play through the season. I wouldn't want to trouble others because of my own math difficulties. Please let me know if it is possible, however. :)
50-85-70-65-50

SCZhuge13
"fish flopping"

PreviousNext

Return to Kingdom Tavern