V6 Character creation

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

What type of character will you create next game V6?

General -
16%
Warrior -
7%
Strategist -
13%
Developer -
6%
Recruiter -
5%
Governor -
8%
Crafter -
4%
Plotter -
8%
Balanced -
5%
Custom -
16%
Not Sure -
10%

Total votes : 165

Re: V6 Character creation

Postby Han1977 » 18 Sep 2014, 06:48

Mat wrote:
Han1977 wrote:So how about this one:
70-90-69-36-37
Duelist-Leader(e)-Raid-Stealth. Spend 1 SP to add 3 point max at War stat.

To my knowledge, there is no such option to spend 1 SP to add to stat caps at this time. The only options players have is getting 1 skill at (e) level for +1 SP.

I think 80 War will be sufficient for you, anyways. A Raid general gets into duels with people he's raiding, so you can choose weaker targets. Even if you do get in a duel with another officer with higher war, it'll likely be an ad-hoc and you can more than hold your own for 5 rounds of tactics.

One thing I noticed last version was some people were capped out at their stat maxs fairly early on in the sims lifecycle. That meant that they ended up losing a bunch of xp, essentially. It's good to have room to grow.

I'm not sure about the 1 SP rule, but I think I read it on V5 signup rules, could be wrong though.

Now, about having a stat too high in the beginning and maxed out too early and loss bunch of XP. Its true, in the past I avoid 90something stat when signing up for the same reason. I choose to have my highest stat around 80. This time I think I want to take that risk/loss (not sure though, still thinking). The good thing about maxing up early, is that your character will have real advantage compared to other character, in the early phase of the game.

Which means, in the early phase of the sim, when I'm out to battle, I will have more juicy target for my Raid and hopefully ad hoc duels.

Say I pick up a 50-60 War target for raid and get an ad hoc duel. With 40-30 difference in war stat the base damage would be 18-16. With Duelist I can do special attack twice, which means I might inflict 27-24 damage twice => 54-48 in totals, with 3 rounds left, even with 3 normal attack, I still have a good chance to end the duel before 5 round pass.

If not special than maybe some other heavy damage tactics like one blow or double strike. Its rare though to see someone with lower war, not using arrow to prepare for one blow tactics in their first round duel tactic.

Part of duel is luck.

Marik wrote:Being a duelist outside of battles isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure, you don't get as much OOC glory and rep out of it, but for someone like me who doesn't plan on training Lead as much as other stats, getting battle exp would be pretty pointless, not to mention getting my AP cut in half ever PT after battle (AP that could be used to train other stats).

You can still play a pretty good duelist if you RP as a bodyguard or martial artist that doesn't see the battlefield. And getting into non-lethal duels is a nice way of determining how good or bad a character is in one-on-one combat without the risk of rerolling :P . During the course of the game one or two people always sponsor land-wide tournaments which are a perfect way to publicly show skills (or luck) without going into deathmatches.

I just remember something, if my memory serve me right then most of the time, my first rolled characters were died before the sim ended.

V1, joining the sim when its almost over. 1st rolled character get an arrow in his head, shot by some bandit group leader.
V2, get thrown to jail, he's not dead, but doing nothing for months, left to rot in jail is boring so I retire the character and re-roll.
V3, 1st rolled character, sending a letter that offend one ruler, he sent 2 of his warrior to kill. Both have higher war than my PC. Died in the first few months of the sim.
V4, doesn't remember this one, :roll: , probably rolling a politician and get bored. Best stick with general or warrior type, I think.
V5, I think this one survive the longest, almost see the end of the sim but still lose his head before the sim ended.

:roll: , I remember that there was time when my most ambitious goal for my character is to survive as a ruler till the end of the sim. I don't need land unification or things like that. Just to survive till the finish line is good enough. I think I had the chance at V5 but I just can't play like that. It seems a waste to play safe when it almost cost you nothing to take a risk.

I just can't wait to have the sim started again and roll my 1st 90war PC :lol: .
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-61-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 52
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby Suicide Fox » 22 Sep 2014, 13:23

How I feel waiting for the next version.

╔═╦╦═╗ Looking for V6 connections / backstory
║╚╣╠═╣ PM me if you've got something interesting!
╠╗║╠═╝
╚═╩╝ Jian Bian 90-81-50-20-50 Arrowstorm, Counter, Cunning(e), Mobility, Reversal, Volley
Suicide Fox
Veteran Officer

Postby Zalktis » 16 Oct 2014, 17:03

Hey,
I played this for a bit at the start of V5 and now after years I remembered, that this game existed. So are the preparations for V6 still churning along or has the staff died (or completely lost motivation)?

Would realy like to play a plotter/spy kind of character with some mystic thrown into the mix. Also some backstory involving him being a son of a low noble family and going missing while hunting or something and emerging some time later as the only survivor from his hunting party of servants and being changed ever since.
Zalktis
Officer

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby Ahrix » 18 Oct 2014, 16:50

I'm new here just like you so I don't much of what's going on behind the scenes in DevelopmentLand, though at this moment it seems very plausible that the sim has indeed died. There was one staff member, Xeniphon I believe, who was the only one who kept the playerbase updated with what was going on with development, but that was some time ago and I haven't seen him post anything in a for a couple of weeks now. My guess is that real life stuff happened and he has to take care of that stuff first, but who knows? I'm just a new guys around here and can only speculate.

Still gonna keep checking back here every now and again, hoping to see any sort of update - preferably from staff. Thankfully college & work have kept me busy while I wait for the sim. :)
Ahrix
Officer

Postby Xeniphon » 27 Oct 2014, 23:44

Yes developing is going on, though much more slowly than we would like...knowing why won't really make you feel better though.... As for me I have not died, I just moved and the internet was not working for several weeks. When there are 4 or fewer working public computers for blocks around the fight for computer time is harsh, and I needed to use what little I got for real life stuff like balancing my bank account and paying bills.

I now have access again and as soon as I can I'll be getting back into the swing of things, just give me a day or so to get all my software updated and to locate all the info I need to continue pushing things forward.
Oh well, back to the drawing board...

V6 Character: Now Undecided
Xeniphon
SimRTK's Own Cyborg
SimRTK's Own Cyborg

Postby Kakirot83 » 29 Dec 2014, 02:09

I don't normally come looking for any 'one' person's opinions on making my character, but I'm calling Xeni out!

So as I'm going through skills again, pondering what my character will do (yes, I still plan on being a Crafter first, everything else second), I can't help but get stuck on the 'other' stuff I want to take besides Crafting. I know for the most part, I'm taking mostly Crafting skills to start (or things close enough I consider them a 'trade'), but I want versatility in case I do join a kingdom versus staying freelance. As such, I imagine I would be master of none, kind of the jack of all trades route. Which is my problem here: I could do anything.

So I'm definitely taking Craftsman (2 SP), Medic (3 SP), and Artisan (1 SP), which is 6 SP. If we're running on the 12 SP start from last time (it was 12 right?), I'm halfway there. I'll probably wait on Breeder and Scribe till I'm in the game (because yes, I'm crazy and I will be Crafts master of the world! :P ), let's be fair, 9 SP out the gates is a lot. So I lean towards dueling skills. But taking Duelist AND Weaponmaster takes me to 11, and we KNOW I'm (E)'ing something. At that point I'm done, I can fight duels and craft. But since a lot of my learning skills would be going into (e)'ing my crafts, I'm not going to be learning other things for a while, especially if I'm learning things like Breeder and Scribe and then getting their e's!

I also want Fortunate, because if I'm freelance, I probably need income aside from selling wares, kind of like, start up cash and getting me through 'lean' times. :wink:

So now I'm wandering through the skills and I stop on Stealth. I think to myself 'RP considerations sound fun' whether or not it's the most practical. But wait, now I have to give up something to be taking all these other skills.

So we'll come down to the real point of this: Since my character the way I'm building them up in my head can do anything, I kind of want them to do everything. I don't literally mean everything, I know I'll neither be great at everything, much less master of anything that way, but I like the idea of kind of having my finger in a lot of different pies. So yes, I wouldn't mind having something, eventually, in Dueling, Battle, and out of combat city-ing. Honestly though, I'm not sure the best way (as if there's a best way to be useless :mrgreen: ) about doing this.

Any thoughts on how I could kind of put a foot in the door on multiple roads, and then as the game progresses, if I find one I like, I can go after it later?

Right now I would lean towards taking Duelist because it would be harder to get later then Weaponmaster say, but every time I'm going to take a 3 SP skill in this 'building things in my head', it seems like a big investment. I don't care if my use in each area is small (say my battle tactic was Navy), but any good ideas on how I can have say, have 6-8 SP be crafting out the gates, with the rest splashed around?

You are the numbers guy on here (at least I'll pretend you are :wink: ) and some insight into what might be good to start with vs getting later (or not at all) would be cool.

Again, I realize I am making a completely unrealistic character, whose use might really be minimal, but I figure showing up with anything more then 0 use is more useful then 0. 8-)
V6 Pre-game:
Jing Yi 81-81-61-40-60
Aid; Ambush; Arson; Loyalty (e); Raid; Stealth; Valor

Julia: This is... ...a dream...
Spike: Yeah... Just a bad dream...

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Marzy - It is not a problem to anybody here but you, just like windmills aren't a problem to anyone but Don Quixote.
Kakirot83
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Dugu Qiusheng

Postby Xeniphon » 05 Jan 2015, 22:58

Sorry, I'd have gotten to this earlier but I was out over new years.

A note on Stealth: if you consider taking it remember that a big part of it's potency/effectiveness relies heavily on your creativity. Stealth doesn't have to be an active plotting skill but to make "best" use of it you need to be able to create situations in RP where it is beneficial to you.

Now to the larger question, which is more complicated....

You "can" be a jack of all trades and you "can" be useful doing it. There are a few things to balance however and the broader you spread yourself the harder the balancing gets. Typically I advise people to focus on 2-3 areas to make the most of their character, but I have also seen ways for a person to cast the net more broadly--it really comes down to how much effectiveness in each area you are willing to give up for the ability to be useful in more situations. Balancing the effectiveness (which ends up deciding if a ruler is willing to use you in a given situation) and the ability to function in that situation is delicate. I am a great fan of versatility, but if you are so versatile that your effectiveness is below that of a less versatile officer/NPC you will not be used when you wish to be. I therefor advise (as an individual and based on past playing experience rather than as a staffer) is to focus on no more than 3-4 of your stats but to make the stats and skills choices based on which are useful in a number of different situations. You could focus on all 5 stats and try to get good skills dedicated to the different areas of the game, but if you are going to do that you need to first be willing to sacrifice effectiveness and second you need to dedicate all your time/effort to improving yourself.

Your primary field (to start anyway) is crafting, you do not seem to really care all that much about battle or civil stuff in comparison to the crafting angle. Since you already know half your starting SP are for crafting related skills and you know you want to gain expertise in those skills I strongly recommend choosing your other skills with your firmer crafting goals in mind. As you are sure you are going to be dedicating that portion of your character/development to those skills you need to decide how best to balance your potential usefulness with your relative effectiveness....

You are going to take Craftsman, Medic, and Artisan which means that War, Int, and Cha are the stats that you will want to invest in for your core skills. So you have your PT pretty well covered with crafting, healing, and Bazar actions for making money and gaining exp. On the dueling side you don't really have much going for you other than reasonable stats in the dueling stats. In civil matters during the KT your use is currently limited to production of weapons (important but narrowly focused). In battle you have Medic which has gotten a shot in the arm to be more appealing as a battle skill (though it not being a skill that can damage the enemy will reduce your effectiveness in the minds of many rulers who will want to maximize their damage dealing among their more limited number of fieldable armies/town). Finally then your ability in terms of plotting is...indeterminable, since any skill can be a plot skill when used creatively.

With 6 SP left you could reasonable enhance your battle and KT potential, increase your dueling and battle or KT potential, dive deep into dueling at the expense of battle/KT (though duels can be used in battle so less harm to that side), or you could try to split it 3 ways. Which is best is a bit fuzzy since I have found the most enthusiastically (enjoyed) played characters really seem to have a greater impact on the game. If you just want to be appealing to a kingdom should you want to join one then the fastest way is to enhance your production ability in KTs, but if you really want to join a kingdom to see some battle then leave your modest KT production ability and add something that would compliment the battle style of a support general (support due to medic, no damaging skills, and lower lead) since you already have some KT viability and battle ability is also attractive to kingdoms. Focusing on dueling is the most obvious choice based purely on the stats you need to focus on, it makes good synergy but duels have grown less common since V3 and to make good use of it you will not only need to be willing to risk the loss of your character but will also need to advocate for the use of duels to your ruler (should you choose to join one). If you don't join a ruler of course the only chance for duels are in plots (participated in by you offensively or in response to acts against you; unlikely for a lone wolf crafter).

All that said I can't really give you a "this is best" answer, a lot depends on what parts of the game you want to be involved in and if there are any roles in any of those areas that you either really want to fill or really don't want to be in. For maximum stat/skill synergy you could put those last SP into dueling and be a crafter in PTs, producer in KTs, and situational support general (healing and duel challenges) in battle. Or you could throw some Int/Cha ploys in there for more of a ploy general/crafter/producer. Alternatively you could boost production to be a crafter/producer/battlefield medic. Or you might put stealth and weaponmaster to use to become a crafter/producer/assassin....

Lots of choices when focusing on 3-4 areas/stats, but as you can see expanding from 2-3 to 3-4 means that all your choices are fairly situational while a shift into doing still more would force you to chip away at your desired starting 6 SP and the stats needed to support them. When focusing on 4 stats you are looking at about 70 in each evenly spread so focusing on 5 will not reduce it by much in terms of usefulness, but there is the mental angle of how rulers feel regarding minimal effectiveness or how quickly you can craft someone an item (and how much profit you make from it). Remember that if you intend to be studying for expertise that will take away from the AP you could otherwise be spending on other of your PT related skills (so lower stats reducing the effectiveness of those actions while you also reduce the number of them that can be taken can really add up and limit your choices/opportunities).

I hope this helped some, if not then some more detail regarding what you want to be doing with your character would make it easier to answer. Do fight the urge to try to do "everything" (if you ask me) and instead focus on a limited number of stats/skills that have broad applicability over more than one area of the game rather than trying to get skills focused on each aspect of the game. That's just my opinion though.... :mrgreen:

Xeniphon
SimRTK's Own Cyborg
SimRTK's Own Cyborg

Postby Kakirot83 » 06 Jan 2015, 18:01

Honestly, that is a lot more helpful then you probably think. I just tend to be the person that bites off more then I should.

As for what 'I'm aiming for' in a new version, I'll go back to last version and revisit the evolution of what I did, what I aimed to do. I believe when I made Ling Ariea, I focused on Lead/Int/Cha, came in with Medic, Charming, Networking and such, with stuff like Artisan just to have a crafting skill. I think I went for having a recruiter, who could also play in the battlefield. As time went on, I never seemed to find my way to battle, so it was much easier to focus on the other things. I also had a need to try and take away some of my 'weaknesses', such as low War/Pol. I never planned on dueling with her, something more along the lines of being a pacifist without actually being one. She was young, inexperienced in fighting, and didn't kill people, more focused on saving life then taking it. Of course, the idea that she would eventually have to kill someone was on the board, war and all.

Of course, soon after I gave up expecting to go to war, was around the time Legend sent me to war, as a Medic/Confuse bot, and I got to Confuse AaronH, which was fun after our little RP where he threatened to remove my tongue :P , and then I shifted into learning things like Terrain, since I believe it ran off int (and Legend asked me too). Obviously, my lack of most things battle did not stop me from eventually getting into battle, but I figured this time around, focusing more on Crafting would lend to having equal amounts if not more balance into starting stats (not written in stone, but possible), so it kind of makes me feel less focused. With only Artisan matching the Networking/Charming aspect of last game, Artisan just kind of fell into place as being there to make sure I used all the AP of turns, and make a few items. Where the focus this time, is now crafting, with hoping other things 'fall into place', it kind of makes it harder to figure out 'what would fall in'. Since I plan on being a blacksmith (but I like Artisan just because I do, and selling 'trinkets' just seems like the wandering sales gimmick), I'm already at twice the crafting areas. Throw on top of that, I do really kind of want Breeder eventually (considering I plan on my cart being pulled around by an Ox, and then that playing into why I Breed), I then start feeling scattered. At that point, if I did that, I have 3 stats needed for that, and really, I do like Medic as a concept. While not a 'craft', it feels like it sort of is, since I can use it for battle, PT's, and even RP. See, already, I'm biting off way too much, as that brings me up to 4 stats needed. I'm already accepting that getting Scribe is unlikely/a death knell, so I guess Pol becomes the lone stat that's useless to me.

What becomes problematic to me, is when I try to 'trim' things down in my head, since I don't know what else I want to do on 'top of those things', I can't pair down what shouldn't be there. I could very easily do Breeding instead of Artisan for example, but then I'm committing a little bit more towards war, being a Lead/War/Int stat line. That line of thought seems almost counter intuitive to me, because if I plan on going to battle a lot, then so much for wandering around for a while, not being in kingdom. If I scrap Breeder for example, and go with your example, War/Int/Cha, I guess I kind of fit around pretty well, but as you said, my KT potential is niche, and my battle use falls more under either ploy/medic or maybe medic/duels? But I'm not sure how great a duelist I would be without kind of really leaping headlong in, like say taking Duelist and Weaponmaster. Again, outside of plots, Dueling matters little unless I specifically go out of my way to join someone.

I think, and I know it sounds bad, I'd rather be that commodity that people have to pursue. While obviously not being a master, more of the Zhuge Liang, that might be worth something, but is harder to get then just writing a letter and having them show up, 'ready to join'. Whether or not people pursue me at all, is another thing, something I feel is unlikely if I'm not marginally useful in areas other then crafting items. I think that needs to be where I need to narrow my focus, on what aspects do I want to seem appealing? Also, what does a prospective kingdom want? Since the game is not going on at the moment, it's not like I'm signing up part way through, able to see perhaps what is in small supply and sought after, I'm just guessing at what people may like.

If for example I make myself more dueling oriented, what's not to say 25 people don't make dedicated Duelists or duelist/generals that far outclass mine? Since I'm 'focused' on crafting, I see too many doors left open I could take for the other side of her, and that's where I do bad.

Back in the day, when you went to school, did you ever have to write an essay, on whatever you wanted? Those are the ones I hated, because then I had too many ideas of what I could write about, I mean you aim to do your best right? But you don't know what is really going to be the best to write on. Meanwhile you tell me to write on some specific book in English, or some part of the American Revolution and the ramifications of it, then I was always golden. I like arrows telling me the direction I'm supposed to be going, versus blindly guessing as to what i think will be best.

Hopefully that gives a little bit into the inner workings of my brain, and why I stump myself often on this kind of stuff. Thanks for the help thus far Xeni, it's already given me tons to think over on that. :mrgreen:
V6 Pre-game:
Jing Yi 81-81-61-40-60
Aid; Ambush; Arson; Loyalty (e); Raid; Stealth; Valor

Julia: This is... ...a dream...
Spike: Yeah... Just a bad dream...

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Marzy - It is not a problem to anybody here but you, just like windmills aren't a problem to anyone but Don Quixote.
Kakirot83
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Dugu Qiusheng

Postby Xeniphon » 06 Jan 2015, 22:26

First of all I am not just telling you what is best because honestly each person has their own best and I don't pretend to have a superior opinion on that matter. Ever since joining the game I have always done something off kilter and at least slightly unusual because I don't like to follow the beaten path, had I just made what someone else thought I should I would not have enjoyed it nearly so much. That said once I know what you want or like I feel more confident in providing some guidance since I can narrow my focus and weigh the pros/cons more effectively.

In terms of being "sought after" there is always a degree of that for every PC officer, but to be actively fought over and pursued you need to be unusually useful ICly, OOCly, or preferably both. This is particularly difficult when making a versatile character since the specialists in each of your fields will outstrip you in effectiveness, and thus be more desired. In this situation that leaves you needing to be sought for OOC reasons or else to try and find something that others will be unlikely to do so that even if there are a few specialists in that field they will not be very numerous. To do the latter you need to consider what people most often make and what kingdoms are looking for.

It used to be that I could just say "take a civil development skill with a decent Pol and your fine" but the changes to staffing buildings and the fact that many stats can be used for it means that isn't quite as sure a thing as it once was, though there is still a huge need for high Pol PCs with development skills. However the broader range of useful skills/stats that can be used in civil development means that you can almost always be stuffed into a building to staff it. If however you boost a stat and have a skill useful to a specialized type of building that people will want to build but few people will focus on you can upgrade your KT usefulness significantly. Why do I focus on KT stuff? Mainly it is because there are always a LOT of generals and warriors, most of whom are specialized.

Now you could focus on battle instead but if you do you will need to make yourself more into a support general because of your spread out stats. Not many people make generals aimed at making other characters better, and it used to be easier with Rally/Jeer, but such officers are very useful when fielded along side specialized generals. You could also take skills like Mobility or Logistics which would help you as a transport commander (I foresee an unwillingness for any general/warrior to take such skills since it might mean they fight less). Why would transport related skills help? As someone who would not be good dealing damage you could haul supplies effectively and if you were close to a battle could scoot over to heal up some units far enough away from the enemy to not be in great danger.

In terms of dueling specialists dominate the field and most kingdoms will focus on the specialists, however being a specialist only really matters when going up against a specialist, against most generals just having decent war and one of the skills is sufficient. Still, that won't make you sought after....

My suggestion would be to take Invent to boost your attractiveness as a producer, Administration to become a good drafter/hirer, or something similar. In battle and duels you really need to be specialized or fill a role not often filled, but very useful in many situations. In KTs there is a lot more flexibility since there is so much more to do now.... For KTs the trick is to be able to do something needed but which most people will not want to do or will be unlikely to specialize in. As you already have crafting skills in mind production is the easiest and Invent is a very attractive skill to rulers. Military engineer and civil engineer will also be very attractive. Recruitment skills will be an easy way to spread out using your high Cha (plus the increase in usefulness rulers will get from NPCs). Special buildings like the Temples that everyone will want and require Cha+Mystic might be a good bet, or a building that uses Int or Cha and involves something like food production that is important buty not glamorous would be good bets as well. Logistics is another I see being very useful but which I doubt many militarily minded players will take (making it a great little niche).

I would, regardless of what you do, see if you can find some way of increasing your OOC usefulness though. By that I do not so much mean metagaming or anything but things that are not related to your character creation. You could gather some friends who will follow you and who you could bring to a kingdom if they convince you to join, you could strike up friendships with GMNPCs, you could construct a spy network like I did last game, you could demonstrate skill in a particular aspect of the game, you could be really active while making it known that you are eager to help do things like write KTs, and you could do your best to gain a master crafting skill to attract attention. Some of these things (and others besides) have more to do with you the player than your PC while others are about the direction you take your PC rather than their stats/skills at the start.

The trick to being sought or fought over is that you need to understand that a great character is fought over because it is specialized or has something unique and a great player is fought over because of the abilities/insight they bring to the kingdom. Both are valued and ideally you want to have both, but either will do. A great character is usually a specialized one (in the eyes of most rulers) but a character that has a unique spin on something or fills a useful niche seldom filled/under populated can be widely sought after if you can convince others that you really could add something significant. In terms of you the player.... Well the simplest way is to just be openly and eagerly willing to learn and help. Beyond that knowledge, contacts, a talent for solving problems, a skill at convincing others to join the kingdom, and so forth are highly prized. One thing rulers ALWAYS want is someone willing to consistently write recruitment letters, particularly if they are engaging and convincing, since most often the ruler gets stuck doing it (nobody else wants to). If you promote yourself as willing to write such letters, particularly if some time has passed and you have many PC friends all over the map, you will be very attractive to rulers regardless of your character or other personal abilities as a player.

So the shortest possible answer would be that with a versatile character you either need to decide on a niche seldom filled or focus on selling yourself as a player rather than selling your character.

Xeniphon
SimRTK's Own Cyborg
SimRTK's Own Cyborg

Postby Shao » 23 Mar 2015, 05:13

This seems like a stupid question, but how can I create a character?
Shao
Officer

Postby Alfred » 23 Mar 2015, 05:31

Shao wrote:This seems like a stupid question, but how can I create a character?

Game hasnt started yet. Weve been waiting about 4 years now, possibly 5, its hard to remember.....
Targeting Chen Ping, cause Coon Mario is EVIL!!!!
Alfred
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: The Road, again

Postby TheRedArmy » 23 Mar 2015, 07:46

Alfred wrote:

Game hasnt started yet. Weve been waiting about 4 years now, possibly 5, its hard to remember.....

How encouraging. :D
Plans for V6 - Governor or General type. Still undecided.
V4 - Bei Shankuo, General who Manifests Virtue

Willing to Skype IC conversations. PM me if interested.
TheRedArmy
Ranking Officer

Kingdom: Unemployed

Postby Sir Ebrum » 04 Apr 2015, 19:09

Step 1: You decide what kind of character you want to play as (warrior, diplomat, strategist, etc.)
Step 2: You choose the "weights" to place in your character's five stats. Think of these as percentages of your character's total ability.
Step 3: Post the character's name and the stat percentages in the signup thread. Many, many, examples of which can be found in the previous version's signup thread here, including my own. Six years ago now.
Step 4: Somebody from the staff replies to your post with some stats for your character, as well as a set number of skill points and some "points to distribute" among your stats (hint: add your PTDs to your highest stats).
Step 5: You choose where to distribute the stat points, and choose which skills to spend your skill points on, and then post again in the signup thread. You are thenceforth a fully-fledged player character in simrtk.

Pretty much any combination of stats will be useful in some fashion. The real work in creating a character is picking the skills you want to have, and only then choosing the stat weights to ensure those skills are the most useful.
For example, you might decide, "I want to be a foot soldier." You would next decide what kind of skills as a foot soldier you want to have - will you be light infantry, moving rapidly and stealthily through the hills and forests, or an armored shock trooper that shatters the enemy line?
Let's say you decide to focus on conventional military tactics skills: Charge, Inspire, Aid, Leader, Valor, Reversal
These skills work best if you have good leadership, war, and intelligence stats, so your weights might look something like:

Name: Shao's 1st Character
Lead: 40
War: 20
Int: 40
Pol: 0
Cha: 0

The logic of creating a character starts with the general character idea, and ends with the stat weights, while the actual signup process starts with the stat weights and then adds the skills.
Sun Liren (54) ~ 55*-57*-81*-108*-107* ~
Acumen, Architect(e), Articulate, Charming, Farmer, Invent, Propaganda(e), Rally(e), Riot(e)

"By GM fiat, you are not allowed to perform that action. Your character's Wisdom score is too high."
Sir Ebrum
Dangerous Cartographer
Dangerous Cartographer

Kingdom: Team Green

Postby Shao » 06 Apr 2015, 01:02

I would like to create a pre-game character.
Shao
Officer

Postby Wen Xu » 24 Apr 2015, 06:42

That's nice.
Wen Xu (40)
40-36-61*-101*-92*
Skills: Acumen, Administration, Articulate, Artisan, Charming, Networking, Zeal
Wen Xu
Veteran Officer