V6 Character creation

Free discussion, talk about whatever is on your mind.

Moderators: Game Masters, Roleplay Masters

What type of character will you create next game V6?

General -
16%
Warrior -
7%
Strategist -
13%
Developer -
6%
Recruiter -
5%
Governor -
8%
Crafter -
4%
Plotter -
8%
Balanced -
5%
Custom -
16%
Not Sure -
10%

Total votes : 165

Re: V6 Character creation

Postby Han1977 » 08 Feb 2017, 14:47

ShadInquis wrote:As a general question, is v6 going to take super low stats into consideration? Based on rules descriptions, a very low Int/pol basically means illeteracy and poor grasp of basic social etiquette. To the point of unintentionally offending people before even opening his mouth.

I don't mind min-max builds, but some sort of downside has to exist for very low stats.

I don't think it doesn't really matter, unless your PC is in some special situation, where the staff roll the result of his/her actions (a plot, etc). Of course you can't expect good result for certain PT action, etc. But if you only focus on being a worthy general/warrior, I think it's worth to.
Huang Dong, 39
Starting Stats: 71*-61-70-70-69
Skills: Ambush, Arson, Duelist, Loyalty, Mobility, Navy, Weaponmaster
Item: Smuggler Map (Lead +1, Ambush limit +10 unit)
Gold: 52
Han1977
What am I still doing here?

Kingdom: Chang Sha?

Postby Suicide Fox » 23 Feb 2017, 16:25

When I see builds with 5 war my inner darkside wants to attempt assassination plots. But then my lightside is like.. hmm should I make a build like that?!

90-80-50-20-50

I mean.. I could have 5 POL and be illiterate but have 90-80-60-5-55!
╔═╦╦═╗ Looking for V6 connections / backstory
║╚╣╠═╣ PM me if you've got something interesting!
╠╗║╠═╝
╚═╩╝ Jian Bian 90-81-50-20-50 Arrowstorm, Counter, Cunning(e), Mobility, Reversal, Volley
Suicide Fox
Veteran Officer

Postby Bradums » 25 Feb 2017, 20:45

It's sort of up to the player/staff, depending on the circumstances. Stats are relative in more than one way. For example, while you can assume a 10 Int would be borderline mentally handicapped, they could RP it as an "idiot savant" or something. Not what you would call intelligent at all, but they're really quick in certain realms.

Or a 10 Cha might be the prettiest woman in China, but her manners and speech are just absurdly atrocious to where she's absolutely uncharismatic and gross. I've done that in the past, to an obviously lesser extent. 60-70 Cha, RPed as a complete jerk to show a balance between looking awesome yet being socially repulsive.

There's always different sides to it you can RP. The staff would take it from there and translate as appropriate, when stats come into actual play.
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby ShadInquis » 26 Feb 2017, 02:05

I dislike minmax builds. Someone with 5 war should be so sickly, a minor cold or slightly out of date apple would be dangeoruos to them.
V6 Pre-Game
Li Sheng (18)
32-92*-80-31-60
Duelist, Fortunate, Scout, Spy, Stealth, Weaponmaster(e)
ShadInquis
Experienced Officer

Postby Sir Ebrum » 26 Feb 2017, 15:17

Check out the "Beaten by Rebel Security" results to see one drawback. A very low War stat will turn something designed to be a slap on the wrist into life-threatening or even mortal injuries.
Sun Liren (54) ~ 55*-57*-81*-108*-107* ~
Acumen, Architect(e), Articulate, Charming, Farmer, Invent, Propaganda(e), Rally(e), Riot(e)

"By GM fiat, you are not allowed to perform that action. Your character's Wisdom score is too high."
Sir Ebrum
Dangerous Cartographer
Dangerous Cartographer

Kingdom: Team Green

Postby cjh1k2004 » 27 Feb 2017, 12:40

Question: If a character had very low int but very high pol (say maybe 5 int 90 pol) or vice versa, would this character be considered illiterate? Or do both stats have to be abysmal for illiteracy to take effect?
Jiang Yan V6 Pregame (21)
90-81-60-30-29
Counter, Leader(e), Loyalty, Missile, Valor, Volley
Head of Internal Security (Military Rank 1)
Co-starring the two little sisters Jiang Liyan (shared with Kun Tiao) and Jiang Meixiu (played by Kun Tiao)!
Jiang Yan V5
cjh1k2004
Veteran Officer

Kingdom: Miao! And now Wan!

Postby Bradums » 01 Mar 2017, 19:57

As long as it makes relative sense, I would guess it's up to you. Since Int and Pol can have similar effects on things like that (literacy, critical thinking, etc.), I imagine it'd be up to you to decide your PC's literacy.

5 Int and 90 Pol could mean your PC is a complete moron in every other aspect, but he's surprisingly savvy at city planning and civil engineering, and therefore completely literate. Or, vice versa, a 90 Int/5 Pol character could be totally illiterate and have no concept of debate or critical thinking, but be an absolute genius in all other means.
V6 Pregame: Zhou Liang (20) 30-80-70-71-70
Acumen, Charming, Duelist(e), Fortunate, Weaponmaster
The Arsenio Hall to Liu Shentong's Eddie Murphy

Coming in v6: Jiang Xu zi Xinguang
Bradums
I am Man-Pretty!

Kingdom: Wan

Postby Sir Ebrum » 01 Mar 2017, 23:48

For low intelligence and high politics (assuming nondescript charisma), think of your stereotypical high-powered corporate executive. They can be dumb as a bag of rocks, yet surprisingly effective at forcing other people to work when you give them authority.
Acumen, Architect(e), Articulate, Charming, Farmer, Invent, Propaganda(e), Rally(e), Riot(e)

"By GM fiat, you are not allowed to perform that action. Your character's Wisdom score is too high."
Sir Ebrum
Dangerous Cartographer
Dangerous Cartographer

Postby Wei Lung » 15 Mar 2017, 16:39

I have the basic setup of my V6 character in my signature. What do you guys think?
Long Wei (172 CE)(Common Era)
61-85-62-60-62
Fortunate, Mobility, Navy, Scout, Stealth, Valor(e), Weaponmaster
Waiting for V6
Wei Lung
Officer

Kingdom: Vagabond

Postby One Sun Mirror » 23 Mar 2017, 11:26

What are the rules around relationships with existing characters? Can we simply RP ourselves into being related to an NPC? Are there different rules depending on how "important" they are?
Toying with an idea for v6 and thought I'd ask here.
Gongsun Ji 83–55–75–17-77 Formation (e), Leader, Mobility, Raid, Scout
说曹操,曹操到
One Sun Mirror
Experienced Officer

Postby RCS » 23 Mar 2017, 13:17

One Sun Mirror wrote:What are the rules around relationships with existing characters? Can we simply RP ourselves into being related to an NPC? Are there different rules depending on how "important" they are?
Toying with an idea for v6 and thought I'd ask here.

In the past when creating a character you could receive a roll to see if you could be a distant relative to an NPC. The roll was difficult to succeed on and if you did succeed what NPC you were related to was randomized.
I'm not even sure if they offer the roll for relative status at all anymore.

tl;dr - I wouldn't plan too much.
www.RichardCShaffer.com

Pre-game:
Dao Lang (43) of Wan
12-10-80-90-76
Acumen, Architect, Charming, Farmer, Logistics
RCS
Accidently Han Fu'd

Postby Chelomo » 09 May 2017, 21:21

Hi, I'm a FNG here, and I took a crack at creating a battle general. I would love to get some feedback on the build and to get some advice on where I can improve it.

Stats

LDR: 90
WAR: 80
INT: 41
POL: 19
CHA: 60

Skills:

Leader (e) (4), Duelist (3), Trample (3), Weaponmaster (2)

Basically a rowdy and skilled leader, with occasional flashes of insight. A bit like Zhang Fei, probably not as over the top.
Zhang Long 90–80–41–19-60 Leader (e), Duelist, Trample, Weaponmaster
Chelomo
Officer

Postby Sir Ebrum » 10 May 2017, 00:39

Low intelligence will hurt you on the battlefield, so you may want to consider sacrificing some of that Lead/War to get you Int above 50. It's a solid build nonetheless - not all enemies will be able to exploit that low Int stat, and high leadership means you'll have a better chance at getting the drop on the enemy (high initiative).

Sir Ebrum
Dangerous Cartographer
Dangerous Cartographer

Postby Chelomo » 10 May 2017, 16:19

Thank you for your feedback, I left the build as it is and simply integrated the low INT into the roleplay. It's just for the sim anyway, so I will probably retool it or change it completely when the main season comes around.
Zhang Long 90–80–41–19-60 Leader (e), Duelist, Trample, Weaponmaster
Chelomo
Officer

Postby Marik » 15 May 2017, 23:04

So I haven't tried making a character in the pre-game yet, but I was playing around with build ideas while I was reading and catching up on the rules and it got me thinking. Assuming the sign up system stays pretty much the same as it is there once the full game starts (which I doubt, but eh...), what exactly are the mechanical disadvantages of having a stat like Pol or Cha in the 0-10 range? (maybe even the 11-20's range?) I don't recall any previous sign up that let you have stats as low as that so it never really occurred to me.

War and Int I could understand being potentially fatal because of duels and plots. Lead is debatable since it's used in pretty much every facet of the game but not exactly as vital as War or Int. But for Pol and Cha? I don't really see how being some politically inept dude or a totally repugnant character would warrant being extra cautious. Much less now that AP for PTs also uses Int, so you can still get some actions in if your Int is decent enough with a low Pol.

I'm not talking about the RP considerations of it though; that's totally up to the player to decide and portray, and whether or not he or she willingly walks into dangerous situations because of it. I'm just asking strictly from a game mechanic point of view, if it can be revealed or talked about at all.
V5:
Ma Conda zi Feijian (朏囝), born 192 AD
Bearer of the Gilded Mace & The Demon's Wife
Marik
Really Old Officer

Kingdom: Metal

PreviousNext

Return to Kingdom Tavern